PDA

View Full Version : ScummVM 0.8.0

MetaFox
October 31st, 2005, 12:03
ScummVM (http://www.scummvm.org), the adventure game interpreter, has recieved a new release. Here's what's new:

- New improved launcher and in-game GUI
- Support for Inherit the Earth and Gobliiins
- Playstation Portable, Playstation 2 and EPOC/SymbianOS ports
- CGA and Hercules rendering modes for some games
- Preliminary support for NES and C64 LucasArts games
- Much improved support for Humongous Entertainment children games (Freddi Fish, Pajama Sam, Putt-Putt, Spy Fox, Fatty Bear, Backyard Sports and Buzzy)

A Dreamcast binary is not currently available however.

The ScummVM team has also opened up much nicer forums (http://forums.scummvm.org), including a dedicated Dreamcast forum.

Update: I've compiled the 0.8.0 source for the Dreamcast. You can download a copy of my unofficially compiled Dreamcast binary here (http://dreamon.cyberdogcastle.com/Main/ScummVM).

ron
October 31st, 2005, 18:00
Metafox thx a lot for the compilation. A lot of people in DCiberia.net is very interested in the SCUMM VM release for Dreamcast. We'll try it and give some feed back. Cheers

MetaFox
November 4th, 2005, 05:43
The official release is out now for the Dreamcast at http://www.scummvm.org/. It has plugins (which mine didn't), so you might find that you can get further in games which are memory hogs (Full Throttle, Curse of Monkey Island, The Dig, Broken Sword, Broken Sword 2) by just including the plugin required for the game (though I doubt any of these games would be completable).

BaldMonk
November 4th, 2005, 09:32
I can't get the "official" version to work.

Seems that they is no 1st read bin.

I assumed the "SCUMMVM" bin file they have was it, so I renamed it... didn't work. Scrambled it, because I assumed it musta been unscrambled cuz it didn't load... and it still didn't work.

This version doesn't seem very good at all anyway. I tried your compile Meta and FOTAQ moves sooooo fast. The text pops up for about a second... All the large games like Full Throttle work worse than previous releases also... Not good at all :(

Anyone else havin problems with this one?

DCDayDreamer
November 5th, 2005, 00:50
I can't get the "official" version to work.

Seems that they is no 1st read bin.

I assumed the "SCUMMVM" bin file they have was it, so I renamed it... didn't work. Scrambled it, because I assumed it musta been unscrambled cuz it didn't load... and it still didn't work.

This version doesn't seem very good at all anyway. I tried your compile Meta and FOTAQ moves sooooo fast. The text pops up for about a second... All the large games like Full Throttle work worse than previous releases also... Not good at all :(

Anyone else havin problems with this one?

'SCUMMVM.BIN' is scrambled in the official release, the IP.BIN included is created to boot 'SCUMMVM.BIN'. If you want to use the files to play FOTAQ, all you need to do is create a directory on your HD (name it whatever you want), put SCUMMVM.BIN, IP.BIN, and QUEEN.PLG in that directory along with the FOTAQ game files then selfboot with your chosen app.

It's not recommended that you put all the '??????.PLG' files along with 'SCUMMVM.BIN' on one CDR because it can cause memory/loading issues with the DC version. If you want to play Monkey Island etc., put 'SCUMMVM.BIN', 'IP.BIN', and 'SCUMM.PLG' in your directory, create a boot disc, put it in your DC, start, then swap in your chosen game CD at the prompt.

The thing to remember is (these are needed files!):

'IP.BIN'
'SCUMMVM.BIN'

Just add the '??????.PLG' file (and your game files) to whatever game disc you want to make (or just use as a boot disc if you're not including the game files).

BaldMonk
November 5th, 2005, 06:18
Cheers mate. I just decided to download the talkie version instead, and it works pretty well :)

DCDayDreamer
November 5th, 2005, 09:05
Cheers mate. I just decided to download the talkie version instead, and it works pretty well :)

No worries, hope you enjoy the game!.

smiles
November 8th, 2005, 19:53
Has anyone tried the NES version of Maniac Mansion with the new release? Does it work well?

iball
November 8th, 2005, 20:11
The NES version? Ugh. I just used the PC version.
Works well.