PDA

View Full Version : Rumours of a PSP Modchip Surface

wraggster
November 1st, 2005, 08:35
There are rumours of a PSP Modchip being worked on in the scene but as you should know, until they surface for real it should be regarded as vapourware until the news comes from a valid and respected source (and by that i dont mean sites that want a /. for news/releases that arent theirs etc).

Heres whats been posted on other sites of the features:

"– Full control Input through the psp’s screen and controls
– Separated From The motherboard
– Custom Interface
– Built In 88mhz Processor
– Dual Memory Cores (allowing For expansion)
– Software completely open source
– Completely internal
– Allows play of import UMD films
– Complete override of software on the psp
1.Homebrew Mode Only Allows software to be run off memory stick
2.Normal Mode Allows of chip’s default features and signed code on the memory stick
– CPU Clocking allows speeds of up to 365mhz which may damage the CPU so we don’t recommend it
– And through an optional cable you can connect a USB hard drive to the chip requires you to use the chips own software you can not use it directly with the psp’s firmware
– Full Instructions
– Requires One standard watch battery which will be included in the package"

Some curious claims there and im sure those who are more tech savvy will rip those claims or validate them. Remember that Sony will if real will throw all their legal weight at the company that releases these rumoured modchips for PSP that have a price of $22.99 being floated around.

So until proper confirmation has been released take any news as a pinch of salt, ill be glad to hear what teams like Team Xecuter and others have to say on the matter.

*o*
November 1st, 2005, 08:48
oh so sweet!!! i hope its real

*o*
November 1st, 2005, 08:54
heres a pic

source mobiledeviant

MaxSMoke
November 1st, 2005, 09:22
I can understand installing a mod chip in the old Xbox, it's HUGE. I can see fitting one in the older PS2, or even the new thin PS2, they have some room. But a PSP is a handheld. And not only do you need to cram it in there and make it fit (inside a case without any extra room) but you need to make sure it stays in place. An Xbox or PS2 doesn't have be put up with being trapped in a pocket of a moving human, a PSP does. I really wish this could be true and solve all of our firmware issues, but it just seems so unlikely. At a 100 to 1, I wouldn't bet a penny on it.

*o*
November 1st, 2005, 09:52
i will buy a modchipp eventually i want both homebrew and commmercial games

iball
November 1st, 2005, 11:14
All they have is a blurry pic?
They are selling it on eBay? Yeah, that'll last.
ONLY $22.99? Weird price....yeah, I don't believe this one bit.
See, that price is what scammers call the "sweet spot". Not too little, not too much. They know some suckers are going to pay that because it will be seen as a "small amount". They're playing the odds that at least 100 suckers will fall for it.
Also, SOLDERLESS?!?!? Gimme a break. Take a look at the hardware inside a PSP. All the chips are soldered on the underside of the motherboard! There's no "wires" you can cut-n-splice a modchip into!
Sounds like a scammer trying to get some quick cash via eBay by suckering in everyone wanting GTA to run on 2.0 AND still have "access" to all their pirated ISOs with 1.5.

Psphreak
November 1st, 2005, 13:11
Nice features however, I agree with iball. If they were really going to sell such an awesome piece of hardware for the psp, why not take a better picture? My damn 1.0 megapixel camera takes better pictures for god sake! And of all places to sell these...ebay!? Let's see if they manage to fool 100 people

vincesecuricor2005
November 1st, 2005, 13:47
this is 1 shedload of b.s.

F9zDark
November 1st, 2005, 15:05
Regardless of whether or not it really exists, the fact that they are selling it on Ebay, somewhat proves to me that it may be true. Sure, ebay has scammers like any other site. But ebay holds buyers and sellers LEGALLY responsible for the buying/selling process.

If this truly was a scam, they would NOT use ebay...

Time will tell though. I'd get it because I want to be able to use the USB harddrive feature. If I do pay for it, I'll let you all know if its a scam or not. At least if I lose my 23 dollars buying a fake modchip, I'll feel alot better than the fools who donated money to yoshihiro, who then didn't even deliver on the downgrader. And no, I don't give him any credit for the downgrader that came out, even though MPH said he should get some.

iball
November 1st, 2005, 15:31
Ummm...you can't sell mod chips on eBay. eBay will find it and shut it down.
And when you DO get scammed and nothing arrives in your mailbox, eBay will just say "well, it's against our policy to sell mod chips so tough luck. We'll investigate the matter. Don't hold your breath."
Paypal would have been more believable than eBay.

F9zDark
November 1st, 2005, 16:31
I was unaware of that. But first off 23 dollars is nothing. And secondly, why the hell do you care? If I spend 23 dollars to inform the community of whether or not its a scam then what problem does it cause you? In fact it helps the rest of you know whether or not it really is a scam without actually trying it yourself.

Yeah it seems sketchy, but unless I know otherwise, I do not immediately just label something as fake.

iball
November 1st, 2005, 16:50
Really? I have some oceanfront property in Arizona to sell you.
Give me the money so you can properly inform the general public that indeed there is not oceanfront property for sale in Arizona.
I also have a bridge in San Francisco to sell you, as well as one in New York.
Simple logic concludes this chip is a fake.

echel0n
November 1st, 2005, 19:03
still nice to dream that u could do all that on your psp for a meager 22.99 :rolleyes:

LazerTag
November 1st, 2005, 21:09
If this MOD chip is in the works I don't for one second buy that image as being it.

That's no better the blurry UFO images. lol!

and if that is it, then I hope to heck the MOD chip works better then that persons camera. hahahaha

iball
November 1st, 2005, 22:10
No official website?
No email point-of-contact?
No other modchip sites are selling it?
Trying to sell it on eBay?
Only made an initial 100?
Only charging $23?
Only one blurry photo?
No information of HOW this was done?
All these questions add up to: SCAM!

This is as bad as Campbell_FF's pics of a "prototype" HDD-to-PSP adapter which consisted of nothing more than a laptop drive controller and a PAPER ribbon cable.

vincesecuricor2005
November 2nd, 2005, 03:27
lol guilty until proven innocent basically modchip=bol*ocks

F9zDark
November 2nd, 2005, 05:08
Really? I have some oceanfront property in Arizona to sell you.
Give me the money so you can properly inform the general public that indeed there is not oceanfront property for sale in Arizona.
I also have a bridge in San Francisco to sell you, as well as one in New York.
Simple logic concludes this chip is a fake.

Wow, your logic is flawed. Maybe your simple logic concludes such. And seeing how you responded with equally unintelligent logic to try and prove your point shows that you are equally simple minded.

Unless you have a PhD in electronics and can prove that the chip is a total fake with knowledge, rather than speculation based on what you read from other sites, then please show us all your credentials.

But until I see hard evidence truly supporting or denying it, will I then take a side on the matter. Perhaps you are just pissed off that you aren't willing to take one for the team if this chip does 'come out' for the good of the community. Like I said, 23 dollars is nothing. And if I spent what is pocket change to me on 'vaporware', how does it affect you?

Yeah the photo sucks ass. Hell it could be of anything, even a gutted n64 cart, for all we know. But this community, with the exception of WAB, is generally a good, upstanding one. The reason I came down hard on PSP Hacks about the downgrader that Yoshihiro promised was because I tried his 'method' 6 months before he ever got the hint and I failed.

But I also knew the ins and outs of PSP homebrew to back up my claims. So unless you have some real answers, rather than speculative ones, then you can tell everyone else what opinions they should bear. But until I see more evidence will I change my opinion away from neutral towards either real or fake.

vincesecuricor2005
November 2nd, 2005, 05:20
harsh (slapped wrist)