PDA

View Full Version : MS on why FFXIII is coming to 360

Shrygue
August 8th, 2008, 20:30
via Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=208786)

Microsoft marketeer Albert Pennello has claimed Xbox 360 sales were the pivotal factor in bringing Final Fantasy XIII to the console - not any funny goings-on behind the scenes.

"I think the most obvious reason that [Square Enix] made the announcement is just looking at the success of our console. I mean, we're the leading console on a worldwide basis, we're more than double the install base on the US," Pennello told MundoRare (spotted by VG247) .

"I think it's easy to assume that something is going on behind the scenes, I think the more obvious answer is we're doing really well and the game creators want their games to be where the most people and the most consoles [are], and right now that's the Xbox 360."

Square Enix announced Final Fantasy XIII for Xbox 360 during the Microsoft press conference at E3. Rumours suggest the platform holder had to pay for Square Enix to breach the exclusivity contract with Sony.

Final Fantasy XIII will remain a PS3 exclusive in Japan, and is yet to be dated for the West. Game director Motomu Toryiama said his team had not begun work on the Xbox 360 version yet, which could hold up the PS3 version in the West, as Square has committed to a simultaneous platform launch.

JKKDARK
August 8th, 2008, 21:01
Of course, Xbox 360 is doing better and better worldwide. I think the 360 will finish second in this generation, behind the Wii.
The 360 is getting a lot of titles which were exclusives on the PS3 before.

firedragon_jing
August 9th, 2008, 03:06
360 is only doing well because it was released first and is easier to develop for. 360 will be held back by the DVD disc, FFXIII included it is going to need some heavy compression or is going to require several disc like the PS1 Final Fantasies, or possibly both. PS3 has done pretty well for having a year late start and such an high price tag, but it is the better box spec wise. It will probably end up in second.

Not to be a big M$ hater, but it's pretty much what happened and what will happen.

hksrb25s14
August 9th, 2008, 03:39
i have a feeling it's going tobe a 4-6 disc game on the 360.

Shadowblind
August 9th, 2008, 04:29
i have a feeling it's going tobe a 4-6 disc game on the 360.

More likely to be 2-4 discs. I can't see this being more then 4 discs. With compression it will probably be 3.

Eviltaco64
August 9th, 2008, 05:19
Of course, Xbox 360 is doing better and better worldwide. I think the 360 will finish second in this generation, behind the Wii.
The 360 is getting a lot of titles which were exclusives on the PS3 before.

Is that why PS3 has been outselling 360 in North America, Europe, and Japan for a year now?
If it didnt have that year start, it wouldve already been behind PS3! :rofl:

Shadowblind
August 9th, 2008, 05:24
Is that why PS3 has been outselling 360 in North America, Europe, and Japan for a year now?
If it didnt have that year start, it wouldve already been behind PS3! :rofl:

Don't quite know about that....

http://www.vgchartz.com/

Europe yeah. The 360 is gaining a lead of PS3 Japan in spurts, and I can almost promise you a head over PS3 in Japan this week due to Tales of Vesperia (considering bundles have sold 10,000+ alone...) In NA 360 is beating PS3, though maybe not for very long. Also, the 360 had about a 5-6 mil head start, and really, the gap doesn't seemed to have closed much.

Of course, the price cut in September that makes the Arcade 360 unit $199 if expected to boost 360 sales significantly. Whatever, we'll see.

NOTE: VGChartz isn't exactly the best source, but they seem to know they're stuff pretty well.

Eviltaco64
August 9th, 2008, 05:32
That's where I went to check sales Shadowblind.
I dont know who's gonna do better in the US, it looks like they both outsell each other for small periods of time.
PS3 is only about 5 million behind 360 now anyway.
But whatever, I like them both. Just hate the 360s (former) hardware problems.

wolfpack
August 9th, 2008, 06:19
Either way, im glad this game is coming to 360 due to the fact that I dont have a PS3 at the moment. However if i had a PS3 id buy it on there just because of the fact that the playstation has had a huge history with the FF series, along with nintendo. And also because of the fact that I want "Versus"...haha :P

acn010
August 9th, 2008, 07:31
360 suck anyways cause of hardware problems ill buy for ps3 no matter what...

THE#1SonicFan
August 9th, 2008, 16:56
lol, its funny to see how PS3 fanboys know nothing about specs. Where to start, where to start. Oh yes, the gpu's.
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=520868&st=0&p=3470668&#entry3470668

Clearly the 360 gpu is stronger. Oh, as for the memory. The 360 wins. The Xbox 360 has Unified Memory Architecture that lets the CPU and GPU share the system's 512MB of memory. The PlayStation 3 on the other hand has 256MB of XDR memory and 256MB of GDDR3. Yes the PS3's memory may be fast but the 360's is much easier to program for plus larger textures.

About the only thing that the PS3 has going for it is the cell processor. But with 7 processors, programmers have to program each individual thing for each processor. As for the triple core processor in the 360, not a single developer has used all 3 cores to date. So the 360 has plenty of cpu power. Plus powerpc processors, from what I hear, are much easier to program for. Not only is the hardware much easier to program for the 360, M$ made some kick ass dev tools. Meaning pretty much everything is developed for the 360 and is ported to the PS3. I must admit M$ did it right this time around.

Eviltaco64
August 9th, 2008, 17:51
lol, its funny to see how PS3 fanboys know nothing about specs. Where to start, where to start. Oh yes, the gpu's.
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=520868&st=0&p=3470668&#entry3470668

Clearly the 360 gpu is stronger. Oh, as for the memory. The 360 wins. The Xbox 360 has Unified Memory Architecture that lets the CPU and GPU share the system's 512MB of memory. The PlayStation 3 on the other hand has 256MB of XDR memory and 256MB of GDDR3. Yes the PS3's memory may be fast but the 360's is much easier to program for plus larger textures.

About the only thing that the PS3 has going for it is the cell processor. But with 7 processors, programmers have to program each individual thing for each processor. As for the triple core processor in the 360, not a single developer has used all 3 cores to date. So the 360 has plenty of cpu power. Plus powerpc processors, from what I hear, are much easier to program for. Not only is the hardware much easier to program for the 360, M$ made some kick ass dev tools. Meaning pretty much everything is developed for the 360 and is ported to the PS3. I must admit M$ did it right this time around.

Well, I must admit they both have their ups and downs.
Xbox 360 does win in the GPU department, but like you said, PS3 has a lot more Processing power.
Since the Xbox 360's from Microsoft, obviously they're going to make it have a PC-friendly architecture (just like the original Xbox) giving it a very good advantage over the PS3 when it comes to porting popular PC games.
But, if a game were to be created on the PS3 from scratch and the same game created from scratch on the Xbox 360, PS3 would definitely have the advantage...But unfortunately it's harder to tap out that power (unless it's done right like GTA 4). That and the fact that PS3 gets ports of ports make PS3 look bad. But honestly, if that "EDGE" kit that they're developing is as good as they say (and it's hard to argue with Naughty Dog although it might be total BS), then PS3 will probably be easier to work with.

I think another reason Microsoft is winning here is because they try to do more innovative things than Sony does. I think Sony is still very comftarble where the PS3 is and think that PS3 will end up like PS2. It could happen, but it might end up in 3rd place. Taking chances on a console based on how its predecessor sold isnt always a good idea :/

As for "M$" doing it right, once again yes and no.
They pretty much had to shove it out the door and for the first 2 years, so many consoles had so many hardware errors that it just became ridiculous. I've gone through two myself :mad:

Darksaviour69
August 9th, 2008, 19:15
Personally, I think in the long run the PS3 will outsell the xbox 360, but it no where near as much as the last gen. The thing is the ps3 has to succeed for sony, because of Blu ray. If it was just a games console, I could see Sony cutting of the ps3 early (not dreamcast early, but xbox/gamecube early), to get the advantage for the next round, but Blu ray is a huge part of Sony market plan, So losing money (or making little profit) in the gaming division is not such a big deal compared to the huge profits they will get selling the licenses for Blu Ray (if its as successful as DVD).

Anyway in the end MS are going to be happy as its clear the xbox 360 is going to out sell the xbox by a huge margin, and considering the success of the wii and the brand power (and blu ray) of the ps3, MS have done well

masterchief929
August 9th, 2008, 20:22
i have had fun reading this thread. i am not being sarcastic either. i genuinely have had fun reading this.

for the discussion going on between the 360 ans PS3: I think they are both great consoles with great games. it all depends on what types of games u like. the PS3 has games that have a bit of a Japanese flavor. the 360 has an American flavor. it all depends on your taste for games.

For the main topic: i am totally pumped about FFXII coming out for the 360 because that is the only system i will be able to play it on since i only have a wii and ps2 and ds, but my brother has a 360.

Eviltaco64
August 10th, 2008, 05:16
FFXIII will definitely be better on the PS3, but it really doesnt matter.
You're still going to get the game on the Xbox 360, just with more compressed video and more discs. Still its nothing that makes the game unplayable.

jamotto
August 10th, 2008, 06:23

Clearly the 360 gpu is stronger.

I would believe those stats more if they ran the calculations using the correct speeds for the respective consoles. The Xbox 360 GPU runs at 500MHz and the PS3's GPU runs at 550MHz. If you go back and run the figures again with the right clock speed you will find the PS3 is even or slightly ahead in raw theoretical speed.

Cloudhunter
August 10th, 2008, 15:38
I really don't see why anyone should care which console is the top. We all make our choices, and only time will tell whether it was the best one.

Cloudy

firedragon_jing
August 10th, 2008, 23:06
http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php

Anyone doubting that the PS3 is doing better than the 360, minus the launch, here is a chart showing the sells if you align all the launch dates. As you can see, the PS3 is well above the 360 at about the same time they were out, and I expect the trend to grow.

Darksaviour69
August 10th, 2008, 23:54
true the ps3 is doing better compared to the 360 in that time, but the 360 did have the head start, and they ps3 is not selling much more than the 360 currently. At this rate its going to take years for the ps3 to catch up to the 360 and who know what will happen in that time.

Also if you look at just the us
http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=America&cons2=PS3&reg2=America&cons3=X360&reg3=America&weeks=156
its not looking so great for the ps3. but then its not looking so great for the 360 in japan or europe (not too bad in the uk though)