PDA

View Full Version : Sony says goodnight to PSP Extended Life Battery Kit

wraggster
August 9th, 2008, 12:03
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/11/11-27-07-psp-battery_kit.jpg

Sony, where's the justice? How could you mercilessly kill the nine month old PSP Extended Life Battery Kit -- capable of boosting the PSP's play time by up to 80% -- while UMDs continue to be the preferred method of distribution for the system's games and video content (thereby also heavily contributing to the device's juice-drain)? Worse still for Sony, why are we not surprised?

http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/09/sony-says-goodnight-to-psp-extended-life-battery-kit/

wolfpack
August 9th, 2008, 18:51
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

i havent had a chance to buy one and now my chance is gone >>_<<

IDidMyTime
August 9th, 2008, 19:29
I dont see the point in using a 2200mah battery when you can just get one of these which hold 9800mah. I have one and they are fantastic, not only in price but the amount they hold.

http://www.colordrives.com/charger-for-sony-psp-battery.html

myuusmeow
August 9th, 2008, 19:58
I dont see the point in using a 2200mah battery when you can just get one of these which hold 9800mah. I have one and they are fantastic, not only in price but the amount they hold.

http://www.colordrives.com/charger-for-sony-psp-battery.html
2 things: those are fake and hold very little power, and the official battery fits into the PSP instead of just plugging into it.

IDidMyTime
August 9th, 2008, 20:43
2 things: those are fake and hold very little power, and the official battery fits into the PSP instead of just plugging into it.

Mine lasts 12 hours+ easy, and you can run it either directly through the AC or you can recharge your current battery a good few times with it. I think its better to run it direct, since the LED will tell you if its running low on power.

I dont see why you think its fake, its not like 9800mah is a great deal of power, you can get any old battery aslong as its 5v and wire it up.

Edit: They also now do a 12000mah.

noname1
August 10th, 2008, 00:52
I wan't a slim version do they exist?

bah
August 10th, 2008, 05:05
From that linked page:

Firstly:
# Input voltage: 5V
# Output voltage: 5V, 700mAh
# Emergency charger 9800mAh 4 in 1 for PSP/NDS Lite/NDS/GBA SP

700mAh???

Then just under that:

Input voltage: 5V
Output voltage: 700mAh

mA is a rating of current, not voltage.
mAh is a measure of capacity, not current flow at a chosen time, and not voltage. :)

I'm sure its a mistake and they mean 700mA maximum current draw (compared to 2000mA from the AC charger or 100-500mA from a USB port) from a 9800mAh battery but its those kind of dodgy signs that make me steer clear of these kinds of things.
LiPo in poor packaging without decent regulation can be a bad thing.

1) It makes the PSP much more annoying to carry.

2) Its probably a lithium polymer battery in cheap casing, good luck with that...... At least its not being put inside the system like those 'MAX' extended batteries.

3)The PSP's charging port was designed for a constant stream of power at 5v, not a battery that drops in both amps and volts as it runs flat.

4) If you rated it, I could almost guarantee it would not suppply 9800mAh, just as virtually all high-rated after market batteries do not.

The sony version was the most reliable and hassle free way of getting a real (same physical size, lithium ion) replacement battery with a bit more life. It sucks they have stopped producing them.
It's hard as hell to find even standard official batteries in Australia without ordering them directly over the phone from sony support.

You will see a LOT of rip-off 'Stamina' (the ones pictured in the story) batteries advertised online very cheap. They are fake and crap.

I've seen batteries opened up to find a shitty cell and a weight to make it feel like its a better battery.

Qmark
August 10th, 2008, 06:13
More than likely, Sony has simply developed a smaller version, the same size as the Slim battery.
Methinks the real goal here is to get everyone away from the slightly-easier-to-crack PSP 1000 model and fat batteries.

jamotto
August 10th, 2008, 06:48
Death knell for the PSP 1000?

bah
August 10th, 2008, 10:10
Death knell for the PSP 1000?

I still get 3-4 hours of homebrew on 2nd lowest brightness level from my Australian launch PSP 1000 that has been used quite a lot. I would say they have a fair bit of life left in them yet :)

I was just looking for an official stamina battery a while back, even the sony store (bricks n mortar) didn't have any official PSP batteries.

Phoned sony Australia and even they did not have stamina ones, but I could order standard 1800mA ones through them.
I think I saw one of these packs (with the face plate for slim psps) in a store just after their release, but it was really overpriced.

jamotto
August 10th, 2008, 12:35
I still get 3-4 hours of homebrew on 2nd lowest brightness level from my Australian launch PSP 1000 that has been used quite a lot. I would say they have a fair bit of life left in them yet :)

I was just looking for an official stamina battery a while back, even the sony store (bricks n mortar) didn't have any official PSP batteries.

Phoned sony Australia and even they did not have stamina ones, but I could order standard 1800mA ones through them.
I think I saw one of these packs (with the face plate for slim psps) in a store just after their release, but it was really overpriced.

It is my understanding that the average life span of a Lithium Ion battery is about 3 years from the date of manufacture. If this is true you should start seeing launch psp battery dieing some time this year or early next year. Just for comparison I get about 5+ hours with screen brightness set to max, volume maxed and using the umd. Not sure how much newer my battery is though.

The stamina battery was discontinued and replaced by this pack.

Buddy4point0
August 10th, 2008, 14:20
Ha I just bought one of these a few weeks ago.

bah
August 10th, 2008, 15:04
Its not an instantaneous drop off in capacity at some point (dying), they just slowly hold less and less.

It will more than likely still provide 2+ hours of gaming in another couple of years.
I would have liked to be able to buy just the stamina battery for my fat psp around now....

It's from the date of manufacture not when you start using it, so beware old stock of mobile phone/psp/whatever batteries.
They should really be made to display the manufacture date of the cell(s) clearly.

Stone Temple Pilots
August 10th, 2008, 23:14
Damn, I wanted to actually buy one of these once my PSP's original battery started to wear out.

Veskgar
August 11th, 2008, 07:44
NOOOOOOOOO! These work awesome in the slim. Although these are only best suited for those with either a Black or Silver Slim. The larger battery covers don't come in other colors. Besides, who wants to replace Kratos on that blood red God of War PSP?

If they are ceasing production of this, they best be developing a Slim sized battery that has extra capacity. I think I'll grab a couple more of these before they can no longer be found.

Qmark
August 11th, 2008, 16:30
If anything, expect to see high-capacity slim batteries with some sort of filler-thing for PSP-1000.