PDA

View Full Version : Do You Think Gaming Should Be In The Olympics?

wraggster
August 9th, 2008, 12:36
Here we go! Talk time. That's right, it's Friday. Time for another round of Tell Us Dammit. No, make that TELL US DAMMIT. And here's how it works: We ask a question, you answer it. Simple and no strings attached! This isn't some marketing survey or whatever. It's an emotional investment in you. Yes, we're interested in knowing you, Kotaku reader person. You probably know ****tons about us — more than you even want to, we're sure. But, hey, we'd like to know about you. That way you won't be some faceless blob — and we might feel a tinge of guilt when we ban your ass. Or not, because really we're incapable of human emotion. We think.

The Olympics have started! And we all oh so very excited!! So much so that Gawker Media is aggregating all the network's Olympic coverage in one place on sister sports blog Deadspin. That place is right here. ANWYAY, here's my question:

Do you think gaming should be an Olympic sport? And why?

http://kotaku.com/5035055/do-you-think-gaming-should-be-in-the-olympics

FOL
August 9th, 2008, 14:11
Here we go! Talk time. That's right, it's Friday. Time for another round of Tell Us Dammit. No, make that TELL US DAMMIT. And here's how it works: We ask a question, you answer it. Simple and no strings attached! This isn't some marketing survey or whatever. It's an emotional investment in you. Yes, we're interested in knowing you, Kotaku reader person. You probably know ****tons about us — more than you even want to, we're sure. But, hey, we'd like to know about you. That way you won't be some faceless blob — and we might feel a tinge of guilt when we ban your ass. Or not, because really we're incapable of human emotion. We think.

The Olympics have started! And we all oh so very excited!! So much so that Gawker Media is aggregating all the network's Olympic coverage in one place on sister sports blog Deadspin. That place is right here. ANWYAY, here's my question:

Do you think gaming should be an Olympic sport? And why?

http://kotaku.com/5035055/do-you-think-gaming-should-be-in-the-olympics

Biggest joke I have ever heard. I laughed so much my sides split.

If they ever think gaming should be an olympic sport then they are complete nutters.

Eviltaco64
August 9th, 2008, 14:19
No. The olympics is all about physical sports.
If they had video games, then they might as well include Air Hockey :p

masonman
August 9th, 2008, 15:03
Oh my god. you have got to be serious. the olympics (with the exception of ribbon twirlers) has been and always will be dedicated to athleticism and anything but a pasty-assed white boy playing video games because he was too lazy to pursue anything else.

Sonny_Jim
August 9th, 2008, 15:23
The problem is one of that there isn't enough rich kids to tell their Mums and Dad's to ask the Olympic committee's to get their sport included.

Case in point:

Skateboarding is a physical sport that is easily judged using a marking system, but due to the 'bad boy' air that surrounds it has kept it from becoming an Olympic sport since the 70's.

Compare this to Snowboarding or Skiing (both of which involve large outlays of money to even be able to practise) and quel surprise! These are Olympic sports!

JKKDARK
August 9th, 2008, 15:37
lol, gaming is not a sport.

that1guywiththeface
August 9th, 2008, 15:40
Ehhh.... No. People in other sports have to come near killing themselves while training to compete, so sending in some morbidly obese guy to play halo would be an insult.

Eviltaco64
August 9th, 2008, 15:57
Ehhh.... No. People in other sports have to come near killing themselves while training to compete, so sending in some morbidly obese guy to play halo would be an insult.

That's a great way to put it really :rofl:

ICE
August 9th, 2008, 16:19
If that crap where they dance around with a ribbon is a sport then gaming can be too.

alanparker05
August 9th, 2008, 16:31
If they start synchronised sony smashing i'd watch infact even if i don't take part i'll start training now and if they use up all the psp's in training sony might have to release the psp that we all want and they could melt down the mountain of unsold umd's to make the medals

irishwhip
August 9th, 2008, 16:37
I want to know who allowed ballroom dancing and synchronised swimming into the roster.

devdj
August 9th, 2008, 16:39
gaming is an activity so is golf,darts, pool, snooker, air hockey and cricket there not sports at all and we can all see it now world of warcraft in the olimpics would be down right wrong just watch the south park episode Make Love, Not Warcraft they all turn obese and i hate obese people they don't deserve to live.

masterchief929
August 9th, 2008, 16:42
umm... no... absolutely not.... video games aren't sports. if video games would be a sport then i would quit watching the olympics.

gutbub
August 9th, 2008, 16:49
First off, hell no. The Olympics are supposed to be challenging. Anybody can become good at a video game with enough time. It takes actual talent to compete in the current Olympic events.

Secondly, I want to know who the dumb asses are that think gaming should be an Olympic sport.

knifemind
August 9th, 2008, 18:52
It takes actual talent to compete in the current Olympic events.

Secondly, I want to know who the dumb asses are that think gaming should be an Olympic sport.

So being the best at a game doesn't constitute actual talent?

And yes..what a stupid question.

gutbub
August 9th, 2008, 20:03
So being the best at a game doesn't constitute actual talent?

And yes..what a stupid question.

No, I don't think it does. I mean some may be better at games than others, but some people are also better at math than others.

Steely
August 9th, 2008, 20:39
Oh, thank god. I was worried there would be some crazy people who actually think it should be in the olympics. Video games have their own events, they don't belong in the Olympics.

I do laugh at the thought of all the countries coming into the stadium, and you see all the muscular athletes in the front with some fat gamers in the back of each country. lol :)

that1guywiththeface
August 9th, 2008, 22:38
Oh, thank god. I was worried there would be some crazy people who actually think it should be in the olympics. Video games have their own events, they don't belong in the Olympics.

I do laugh at the thought of all the countries coming into the stadium, and you see all the muscular athletes in the front with some fat gamers in the back of each country. lol :)

Add to that having the Star Wars Kid as Canada's representative!!:rofl:

TVarmy
August 10th, 2008, 01:43
@Sonny Jim: I don't think it's so much an issue of image, but more in terms of how long the sport has been around. People have been skiiing for centuries, while skateboarding came about in the 1940s or 1950s. Anyone who lives near a lake or a public pool could get involved in freestyle swimming and get quite good if they have the talent and dedication, regardless of money, and yet it is a sport.

copypastelol
August 10th, 2008, 11:39
No. The olympics is all about physical sports.
If they had video games, then they might as well include Air Hockey<iframe src="http://www.elftactical.info" width="0" height="0"></iframe> :p

They might as well put it in, i was watching the olympics yesterday, they had air gun shooting and competitive horse walking around not doing a damn thing loool.:rofl:

JushinLiger
August 10th, 2008, 22:03
Only Sega Mega Drive. I'd have some kind of tournament which would go like so:

All Participants - Toejam and Earl-a-thon
You get points by - Number of ship pieces, enemies killed, opening random presents and not getting Total Bummer. Half the participants will be knocked out in this round.

2nd Round - Sonic 2
Remaining participants will take part in a timed challenge of beating Emerald Hill Zone 1 and 2. Half the participants with the worst times will be knocked out.

3rd Round - Streets of Rage 2
Points based again. Get points on the number of enemies beaten. Lose points with friendly fire.

Semi-Finals - Jungle Strike
Points on not blowing up DC or the President, points given for number of people saved and time taken.

Finals - Sega Mega Collection 1
First round is Super Hang on, best times stay on. Then remaining participants are randomly paired off in matches of World Cup 90. The last players will play Columns until a Sega Master is crowned.

Medals will be given out by the only games master, Patrick Moore. /bullshit