PDA

View Full Version : Spain's Taxi Drivers Want Grand Theft Auto Pulled

wraggster
August 9th, 2008, 21:28
According to a report from newspaper La Vanguardia, by way of GamePolitics and Google's Spanish to English translator, Spain's cabbies are calling for a ban on Grand Theft Auto — Grand Theft Auto IV, we presume. After a Thai teenager was arrested on suspicion of murdering a taxi driver, claiming to have been inspired by GTA, the game was pulled from shelves in Thailand.

Now, Josep Maria Goņi, secretary general of the Catalan Taxi Federation, is asking the Spanish government to do the same, citing the Thai murder case.

We're going to make an ass out of ourselves and assume that Mr. Goņi knows as much as the Grand Theft Auto series as just about everyone else in his position and hope that cabbie murder hysteria blows over before it gives the series a bad rap. We can't have our games being scapegoated for society's ills, now. What a horrible precedent that would set.

http://kotaku.com/5035040/spains-taxi-drivers-want-grand-theft-auto-pulled

gutbub
August 9th, 2008, 22:55
I hope they get it pulled. Not to prevent any deaths, but because #4 was seriously overrated. I went and bought as soon as I could, and wow, it looks nice, but that's about it. They stripped the game down to it's bare minimum. All that remains is the pile of crap called GTA4. I hope the extra exclusives for Xbox360 make it worth my $60.

mcdougall57
August 9th, 2008, 23:14
what extra exclusive were there? :S

gutbub
August 10th, 2008, 01:12
what extra exclusive were there? :S

Supposedly later this year, there is gonna be downloadable content that is exclusive to the 360. Microsoft paid a lot of money to get it. But we'll soon enough if it makes any difference or not.

devdj
August 10th, 2008, 01:14
if they want to make people feel safe in spain why don't they just ban the running of the bull instead of a video game and i just wonder whats going to happen when postal 3 hits the shelves since the postal series seems to be a little more offensive then gta

mike_jmg
August 10th, 2008, 17:21
Lol

TaN00Ki
August 10th, 2008, 17:36
Oh please... anyone here plan on murdering a taxi driver coz you saw that in a game??

I'm not.