PDA

View Full Version : New Xbox Dashboard: HD Game Installation Shown

wraggster
August 10th, 2008, 20:49
http://www.youtube.com/v/GQMAz1qIWvs

Tipster Larry B. pointed us to the above video, uploaded today, showing how installing games to your 360 hard drive will work. The process produces faster load times for you, but you still need to put the game in the tray (see the end of the video) to satisfy DRM protection.

Whomever is doing this isn't logged in, so no fleeting glances of avatars or anything like that. It sounds like this is running on a bona fide 360, because the familiar whine kicks in right when it starts downloading Grand Theft Auto IV.

http://kotaku.com/5035240/new-xbox-dashboard-hd-game-installation-shown

WhizzBang
August 10th, 2008, 21:54
I think this is an exciting development for the 360. I can't stand using my 360 anymore because the noise drives me mad, but if I could install Oblivion to the hard drive I will definitely get back it into it.

Harshboy
August 10th, 2008, 22:19
Now I can finally be happy with my Elite's 120GB Hard Drive.

Man
August 11th, 2008, 03:37
Now I can finally be happy with my Elite's 120GB Hard Drive.

I was thinking the exact same thing, i wonder if it accually needs to read the game disk, because if a game gets all scratched up, the console may not recognize the disk.

Solidsnake3000
August 11th, 2008, 20:16
This is good in a way and Gay at the same time I understand if you have a 120gb HDD it's very good but me who has gotten a 20gb because I felt there was no point is going to actually hate this god knows how long it takes to save the game to the HDD. Plus I think they should have done like the ps3 and just let you save pieces of the game to the HDD not the whole thing then still require you to have the disc to me thats pointless but hey everyone has their own opinion.

pibs
August 12th, 2008, 01:01
I was thinking the exact same thing, i wonder if it accually needs to read the game disk, because if a game gets all scratched up, the console may not recognize the disk.

It probably just has to check for MS signatures on the disc proving you have it. I have a feeling its going to take piracy to a whole new level.

KFR42
August 12th, 2008, 13:12
It probably just has to check for MS signatures on the disc proving you have it. I have a feeling its going to take piracy to a whole new level.

I don't see how. Its been confirmed you need the disc in the drive to play the game, so you won't be able to play a copied game from your hard disk any more than you could from a copied disc.

I have a tiny hard disk on my 360 anyway, although I could fit one game at a time on there.