PDA

View Full Version : What lengths would you go to buy a game?

pibs
August 10th, 2008, 22:51
Via: Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/5035151/how-to-buy-god-of-war-2-in-saudi-arabia)
Our gamer friends in Saudi Arabia can't buy titles like God of War 2. Not only are they banned for sale within the country, if you order it online you risk having it confiscated, and then you have to pay a fat fine (about $125 US.) No surprise that this kind of crackdown only breeds a black market for the goods in question, and reader Alaa A. shows us how some retailers get around things so he and others can get their Kratos on.

Alaa tells us that at Rashid mall in Khobar, he spied Chains of Olympus, the GOW version for the PSP. Wondering if that meant they also had GOW2 he inquired. Lo and behold, they did. And here's the part where I want to imagine Alaa wearing a fedora and the clerk in an eyepatch, with a monkey perched on his shoulder, leading him into an anteroom while looking nervously over his shoulder. The guy handed Alaa a shrink-wrapped copy of Winning Eleven. When he opened it, inside was the God of War 2 disc, and the GoW cover neatly slid behind the Winning Eleven artwork.

"I got for around $25 and it’s an original copy," Alaa said. "Makes me feel dirty for some reason though."

mike_jmg
August 10th, 2008, 23:28
maybe that kind of experience is what made you feel dirty, is like someone is selling you crack or something like that.

It's simply a game, it shouldn't be banned, and you just stood up against the system. Good for you man

JKKDARK
August 10th, 2008, 23:28
Great, I hope he can enjoy the game.

that1guywiththeface
August 11th, 2008, 00:25
These political officials should play MGS2 so that they can see what censorship can really do to people when they overdo it. This is just the beginning. 0_0

oooooomonkeys
August 11th, 2008, 00:46
i wish i could buy all my games like that lol

noname1
August 11th, 2008, 01:31
maybe that kind of experience is what made you feel dirty, is like someone is selling you crack or something like that.

It's simply a game, it shouldn't be banned, and you just stood up against the system. Good for you man

I agree it's only a game.

Harshboy
August 11th, 2008, 03:46
What length would you go to buy a game?
None.

What lengths would you go to pirate a game?
More than its worth.

N0C
August 11th, 2008, 09:17
Wait, people buy games? What a ridiculous concept. :p

noname1
August 11th, 2008, 10:09
Wait, people buy games? What a ridiculous concept. :p
I also buy psp games because sometime you have a crappy framerate with downloaded isos like the gta series for psp.:D

bah
August 11th, 2008, 13:56
What length would you go to buy a game?
None.

What lengths would you go to pirate a game?
More than its worth.

?? I dont understand.

Traditionally, people show off about wealth or skill.

In this instance wealth negates the need for piracy, and skill the having to go to any great length to do it.......

Brainy142
August 11th, 2008, 16:01
I go to EB, I'f its not there, go to the eb in the mall, If it's not there Future shop, then best buy, then walmert (gasp)

myuusmeow
August 11th, 2008, 17:00
I also buy psp games because sometime you have a crappy framerate with downloaded isos like the gta series for psp.:DThat's only if it is in CSO format, just decompress it and it'll run full speed.

Triv1um
August 11th, 2008, 18:00
Nope, they wont. VCS in iso horrible.

I would do the same as this guy.

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
August 11th, 2008, 18:32
mad props to the guy!

N0C
August 12th, 2008, 08:39
VCS as an iso is fine, if you increase your processor speed to 333.

newb_fo_life
August 12th, 2008, 09:30
I found out there was a 3.50 (Psp)downgrader a week after it came out (I was stuck on 3.11)I looked through the tutorial and realised i needed lumines that next saturday I looked for it the whole day,thats how far I would go anyway :D