PDA

View Full Version : Hands-On: PSP TV Adapter Kit Goes Under the Knife of Lik Sang

wraggster
November 3rd, 2005, 17:38
Lik Sang (http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3723&lsaid=219793) have done a great feature on the new PSP TV Kit (http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?products_id=7749&lsaid=219793) by Team Xtender:

While Lik Sang and lots of consumers fail to understand what is supposed to be so hot about a PSP Adapter Kit costing over 100 bucks, two "teams" are still in wartime mode about it. "PSP2TV" and "PSPonTV" give each other trash every day god makes, "east-coast vs. west-coast", gangsta rap style. While all this "let's get personal" trash talkin' is funny only for a short while, what you hardcore gamers really care about is how the product gets installed, when it's available, what's the price point and how good the adapter is. That's exactly what we will get covered in-depth across this hands-on report of the first PSP Adapter Kit, which has just hit our warehouse today, and ships within 24 hours.

First Impressions

Out of the colorful box you get the TV Adapter connector offering both Video outputs and a Dual Shock 2 slot, a flat-circuitry (to fit inside your PSP, see below), three face plates (blue, silver and black), a bunch of screws and screw drivers, AV and S-Video cables, plus, last but not least, a 16-page installation guide with all the step-by-step pictures you need in order to get the job done. The TV Adapter Kit does not come as a Multinorm NTSC/PAL product (as initially announced). It is available in two different models, PAL or NTSC. There is a switch on the back of the adapter to select between 4:3 and 16:9 display ratios (once you got the troublesome installation step performed successfully of course).

http://image.lik-sang.com/content/psp2tv/small/tvad-outofbox1.jpghttp://image.lik-sang.com/content/psp2tv/small/tvad-outofbox6.jpg

Installation

The installation procedure is not the hardest we have ever witnessed inside the Lik Sang testing labs, but then again, that is kind of part of the job here. For end users and potential customers out there, it is important reading about the major installation steps that we describe amnd illustrate with pictures hereunder. This is to make sure that you are, first of all, willing do perform such an installation, and, more importantly, that you are capable of taking care of the operation all the way without "screwing up" your beloved Sony PSP, if you'll excuse my French. The modification does not require soldering at all but does require a lot of precision. If your hands are easily shaking or if you are the clumsy type of guy (like me!), just forget about it or find yourself a professional installer in your entourage. There is indeed dismantling of small pieces in a tight handheld system involved, not to omit that you will also have to put every bit back together in the end too. Don't risk it if you are not qualified. If you are an experienced D.I.Y. hobbyist who has had his fair share of playing around with electronics, like many of my Lik Sang teammates for example, you probably have seen worse than that in your life already.
http://image.lik-sang.com/content/psp2tv/small/complete5.jpghttp://image.lik-sang.com/content/psp2tv/small/complete2.jpg

Read the rest of this excellent review and basically a tutorial on how to install the PSP TV Adapter at Lik Sang (http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3723&lsaid=219793)

Clifford_Ball
November 3rd, 2005, 19:35
I am a Clinical Engineer (I repair electronic Medical Equipment for a living and have been doing so for 15 years now) and I can say for certain, there is no way in hell you're going to be able to do this install in less than 5 minutes. And those little flip-up connectors are fragile as all get out. If you are not familiar with electronics I'd seriously warn against trying this.

P.S. I am in no way affiliated with any PSP aftermarket product manufacturers, I'm just a PSP user.

pspfr33k
November 3rd, 2005, 20:02
BTW, just a question;
Why should you buy something like this?
You buy a PSP coz it's handheld. Not to have it on your tv. Then buy a Xbox, or Xbox 360. It's more powerful and the graphics are much better. I don't think graphics will be good if they get screened with a projector.....

orochi-x
November 3rd, 2005, 20:46
BTW, just a question;
Why should you buy something like this?
You buy a PSP coz it's handheld. Not to have it on your tv. Then buy a Xbox, or Xbox 360. It's more powerful and the graphics are much better. I don't think graphics will be good if they get screened with a projector.....

I'm getting this so i can use a DualShock controller on my in-car PSP.
And to be honest, if I wanted to sit at home and play it for any considerable time , I'd rather use a T.V. and Dualshock for that too.

J sims
November 3rd, 2005, 21:36
After you install this is there sometime of type of quick disconnect to remove the back part or do you have to carry the whole thing around.

Clifford_Ball
November 3rd, 2005, 22:32
I would think people might buy this if the PSP is their only system. With this adapter the PSP becomes both a handheld and a home console thus saving you from having to buy games for 2 different systems to be able to play them on the go or at home. Personally I'd spend the cash on a PS2 and just buy the PS2 games used on Ebay or something to save money.

iball
November 3rd, 2005, 23:39
This is one of those things where if you have to ask "what's the point?" then it's not for you.

bill00000
November 4th, 2005, 01:35
I am a Clinical Engineer (I repair electronic Medical Equipment for a living and have been doing so for 15 years now) and I can say for certain, there is no way in hell you're going to be able to do this install in less than 5 minutes. And those little flip-up connectors are fragile as all get out. If you are not familiar with electronics I'd seriously warn against trying this.

P.S. I am in no way affiliated with any PSP aftermarket product manufacturers, I'm just a PSP user.

There's an installation video kicking around the internet, where the guy knows exactly what he's doing, and all of the screwdriver turning is cut from the video. It's 9 minutes long. I wouldn't trust this product at all. Of course, I wouldn't use the camera style products either. It would be nice to be able to get my PSP hooked up to the TV, but it's not going to happen for me.

vincesecuricor2005
November 4th, 2005, 11:05
looks way too damn risky

slayer2psp
November 5th, 2005, 00:11

i would never try this myself this guy knows listen to him. the fact you have to remove the lcd makes me say noway in hell would i ever try this id rather buy the cheap 50 dollar mirrior trick one it may not look very good but who cares i dont want to play my psp on tv anyways.

Zaibach333
November 5th, 2005, 21:36
*sigh
how about not complaining about things you have no way of testing.

I'm going to sit here and wait for some hands on reviews in the forums when they're released.

then I'll decide if I get one