PDA

View Full Version : Halo 3 Beats Out GTA IV, Portal, Wii Fit For Edge Innovation Award

wraggster
August 11th, 2008, 21:59
UK outlet Edge has declared that Bungie's mega-blockbuster Halo 3 "does most to further the creative culture of gaming" by awarding it the Edge Award for Interactive Innovation at the Edinburgh Interactive Festival today. The Xbox 360 game beat out Grand Theft Auto IV, Portal, Rock Band, Super Mario Galaxy and Wii Fit to secure the honor, with Edge writing that it's "the integration and coherence of Halo 3’s online content that makes the game stand apart."

"Space marines? Again?! Innovative?!?" you may be thinking. Edge obviously responds "Yes!" declaring that the sci-fi first person shooter demonstrates an "unparalleled understanding of the potential for console online play." Should you need further justification to help calm your nerves, Edge has 'em. Whether you'll agree... well, that's up to you.

http://kotaku.com/5035638/halo-3-beats-out-gta-iv-portal-wii-fit-for-edge-innovation-award

WhizzBang
August 11th, 2008, 22:32
Edge lost it a long time ago, Halo 3 is dull and not a patch on Halo 1.

Elven6
August 11th, 2008, 22:54
So they gave the award to Forge?

goshogun1
August 11th, 2008, 23:42
I gotta admit that I absolutely love Halo 3 online. But innovation?! :rofl:
It's just a finely tooled Halo 2! MGS4 felt like a choice for me. Or perhaps Mario Galaxy?

vicious1988
August 12th, 2008, 00:10
"Space marines? Again?! Innovative?!?" you may be thinking. Edge obviously responds "Yes!" declaring that the sci-fi first person shooter demonstrates an "unparalleled understanding of the potential for console online play." Should you need further justification to help calm your nerves, Edge has 'em. Whether you'll agree... well, that's up to you.

If somebody wants to call space marines innovative then watch some GTAIV TV. Republican Space Rangers FTW.

jedikevin20
August 12th, 2008, 00:38
woo how does triquel of a same style game further creative culture of gaming. Shouldn't something liek rock band or the wii fit board or something further it more then a game thats a third remake?

wolfpack
August 12th, 2008, 01:19
Hey, halo 3 was a good game, I hate it when people rip on it just because its a "updated halo 2". Sure it might be that but its still a fun game. I think a lot of people started hating the game because others were hating it. But still, its the number one played game on xbox live again, throwing Call of Duty 4 off its throne.

Either way, its a good game imo but others that whine and complain about it....dont play it... plain and simple.

nambit
August 12th, 2008, 01:36
^^ Great game or not... do you honestly think it should be considered innovative far and above some of the others? There are a lot of great games out there.

ICE
August 12th, 2008, 03:34
The only innovative game on that list was Portal.. Halo 3 and GTA IV are just sequels that are pretty just updates of old games and Wii Fit isnt even a game.

Veskgar
August 12th, 2008, 03:48
I think the innovation takes everything into account. The amount of things you can do with the game in relation to XBOX Live. Really, no other console game has such a great party and matchmaking system and utilizes the the Internet as well.

I don't even like the XBOX 360 that much as I've turned into a PS3 guy, but I can't stop playing Halo 3.

Pilot_51
August 12th, 2008, 08:37
So basically a console game is considered innovative if it manages to accomplish what PC games have done for over a decade, over games that add little bits of things that have never been done in any game before? Does anyone else think Edge has a bit too much bias to be giving awards? The explanation they gave for Halo 3 getting the Innovation Award sounds like it came from a completely different award.

zelion
August 12th, 2008, 10:35
Actually Call of Duty 4 hands-down destroys Halo3's unbalanced matchmaking system :D

geise69
August 12th, 2008, 13:00
Game awards are like the Grammys and don't mean shit! All it is is a popularity contest and always will be. There are so many games that get released every year that fly way under the radar. They just don't have the milllion dollar publishers for the advertisement or 70-80 person dev teams. I've played more innovative games on my Amiga made by 2 or 3 people at the most. Reflections has made Driver and some other big title games, but back in the Amiga days they made Shadow of the Beast. It was done by two guys. Everything! That game was so ahead of it's time. That game had innovation. Halo 3...no. I have no idea how an already mediocre FPS game that is a sequel can win an innovation award. :confused: The only thing I'll give the game is decent online play and story. It's all been done before. That however doesn't make a game innovative.

solidsnake_8608
August 12th, 2008, 14:41
Hell you might as well have given the award to the Madden Football franchise. Nothing like a roster update spells innovation...oh wait.

luminouslight
August 12th, 2008, 15:36
In terms of gameplay elements, especially single player, it couldn't be much less innovative.
The multiplayer may work great in terms of matchmaking etc, but I don't see how "new" or "creative" of an idea to that related to past acccomplishments of other games multiplayer; it can certainly be the best, and can be improved, but that doesn't mean it's creative.

Sonny_Jim
August 12th, 2008, 16:27
Shit, I'm really beginning to get worried about video gaming.

Because it has these parallels with the Film industry, I suspect the future is going to be filled with "Big Summer Blockbuster sequels" from the big studios rather than games with the emphasis on FUN.

There is a little glimmer of hope in the form of Nintendo, but the way I see it, the future is going to be filled with copies and revamps rather than innovation.

Airdevil
August 12th, 2008, 17:04
Shit, I'm really beginning to get worried about video gaming.

Because it has these parallels with the Film industry, I suspect the future is going to be filled with "Big Summer Blockbuster sequels" from the big studios rather than games with the emphasis on FUN.

There is a little glimmer of hope in the form of Nintendo, but the way I see it, the future is going to be filled with copies and revamps rather than innovation.

LittleBigPlanet?