PDA

View Full Version : Wii're Sick of Wii Graphics

wraggster
August 12th, 2008, 22:40
Article from Gameplasma:

The first time I sat in front of my Wii, I was excited beyond belief. It was simply unbelievable that I had procured one of the consoles, having been actively seeking it out for months past the November 2006 release. As one of the many followers of Nintendo since its debut stateside, I was enamored with the "revolution" that had been thrust forward into the gaming world. My favorite Nintendo IPs were to be shaped as I had never seen them before. Swordfighting as Link through usage of the Wii remote? Magnificent! What new opportunities would await the beloved Metroid series? I must admit, I was completely entranced.

Wii Sports was fun for the first two weeks, and The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess failed to impress. Week after week passed, and I spent my earnings on more deserving titles, for the Wii ceased to impress me. Weeks turned into months, and now here I am, having completed Super Mario Galaxy since. While thoroughly delighted with the latest Mario venture, I have spent most of my time with the Wii playing GameCube titles. In fact, I may as well be playing GameCube games. They're certainly cheaper, and involve much more intriguing gameplay with comparable graphics. It also has motion control! You know, when you're moving the controller and leaning in and out so that zombie doesn't take a plug out of your neck? That does tend to help.

Nintendo is fine with providing Wii titles akin to GameCube 1.5 creations. They are, after all, in the entertainment business to make money. With more senior citizens, housewives, and otherwise non-gamers getting in on the action, the cheaper and wiser course of action to take is to try to appease this new audience. What does this new audience want? Not a lot. Most will be content to stand in front of their TV and pretend that they're throwing a real bowling ball. Doing so requires very few bells and whistles, graphics being one of them. They're not looking for an adventure like you'd find in The Legend of Zelda. No, if they can burn a few minutes or an hour playing a few mini games while flailing their arms around, that's what matters. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it does make for a very lazy Nintendo.

Charging upwards of $50 for each new collection of gimmicky minigames or poorly-crafted port of a popular game on another system (Dead Rising, anyone?) is just not my cup of tea. If I'm going to put down a couple days' work at minimum wage on the counter at my store, I'm going to want to see something that looks like it's worth it. I could spend far less on Oblivion, the original Dead Rising, or a number of better games for what is currently being asked for Carnival Games. It's a joke. It's laughable that Nintendo actually expects its core audience to be satiated by this pitiful display they've had on show for two years now.

Downplaying graphics and gameplay is unwarranted. There is simply no excuse to skimp in those departments just because a few grandparents are going to be happy no matter what's showing up on their screen. The Wii is a member of the current-gen console club, and has a very important role to fill. Innovation alone will not win everyone over. Of course, it will win the casual gamer, and that is who Nintendo is now primarily catering to. I, for one, am not going to be hopping on this waggle-my-Wii-remote bandwagon. Having been a Nintendo fan since my inception as a gamer, I will be avoiding the shovelware that is rapidly flooding store shelves and sticking to gems like No More Heroes and Nights: Journey of Dreams. Of course, halfway through I might pick up my GameCube controller and attempt to fly NiGHTS. It's not like I would be reminded otherwise

http://gameplasma.com/index.php?do=viewarticle&id=1052

Failedartifact
August 12th, 2008, 23:21
True.

Piny89
August 12th, 2008, 23:24
So true...

JKKDARK
August 12th, 2008, 23:47
But people buy it for the gameplay, not the graphics.

mcdougall57
August 13th, 2008, 00:01
Nintendo has always been like that, gameplay over graphics. Bash the console all you want its winning the console war. To be completely honest articles like this are utterly unneeded and pointless. If gameplasma is only giving you minimum wage for articles like this, stop what your doing and get a real job.

Triv1um
August 13th, 2008, 00:08
But people buy it for the gameplay, not the graphics.

Yes, so where is the gameplay?

XXXW0
August 13th, 2008, 01:14
Odd I thought No More Heroes was quite fun. However unless Nintendo does something its Hardcore audience will leave them. Zelda would be nice if they innovated it a bit more. Maybe have a side story to Ocarina of Time with another character even more badass as Link. Or it doesn't even have to take place in Hyrule. Nintendo could change the setting, time and story a bit more so it feels more unique as a Zelda game should. However gameplay should be the main priority because thats what makes everything come together so well. Nintendo needs to look at what they were doing for the N64-Playstation1-Saturn generation and improve upon it. They shouldn't just recreate similar games with a few new gimmicks but actually improve upon gameplay, story, and perhaps graphics.
(by the way I actually really liked Metroid Prime 3)

Shadowblind
August 13th, 2008, 01:23
Nintendo still makes awesome games. But games like Wii Play and Wii Fit are what have caused people to make articles like these.

Personally, I think that nintendo should try making some strong new IPs, instead of just taking Mario and slapping him on a new, otherwise mediocre, game. We know they can do it; the N64 was awesome for it. And i don't mean more Wii Flail IPs. New awesome, would-be classic IPs like Sony and Microsoft seem to be moving toward.

personally I want more Zelda and Mario love, but not in spin-off; in originals :)

firedragon_jing
August 13th, 2008, 01:44
Nintendo still makes awesome games. But games like Wii Play and Wii Fit are what have caused people to make articles like these.

Personally, I think that nintendo should try making some strong new IPs, instead of just taking Mario and slapping him on a new, otherwise mediocre, game. We know they can do it; the N64 was awesome for it. And i don't mean more Wii Flail IPs. New awesome, would-be classic IPs like Sony and Microsoft seem to be moving toward.

personally I want more Zelda and Mario love, but not in spin-off; in originals :)
This is my biggest demand, I have not seen a big new franchise from Nintendo in a good while.

El Stefio
August 13th, 2008, 01:56
I got my Wii on launch day here in the UK. Every game i ever got for it was a let down, except for Excite Truck (highly recommended to arcade racer fans) and Red Steel. Sold it last week and didn't look back.

Maybe I'm on my own here but i think the Wii is the modern equivalent of the 2600 - flooded with shovelware and damaging the industry as a whole (you heard me). It's all well and good "bringing gaming to a wider audience", but if that gaming consists of Cooking Mama and Wii Fit (omg they can exploit fat people and no one bats an eyelid!) then i'd rather they hadn't bothered.

jmf145
August 13th, 2008, 03:28
Disaster Day of Crisis looks good, but it's TBA:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disaster:_Day_of_Crisis
http://wii.ign.com/objects/826/826985.html

Brainy142
August 13th, 2008, 03:37
I totally agree man. You would say the same as (I) would probably say.

watupgroupie
August 13th, 2008, 06:17
I think the graphics are hindering the console really badly. I mean the console has potential, but when I play my wii, it feels like ps1 all over again. And the games feel clunky cause the wii motes suck in most games, and I get frustrated and quit, I havn't bought a wii game in more than 5 months.

KristenBaldousor
August 13th, 2008, 06:22
Bu, buuuu, cry me a river for what I care what you say.

If you are a truly Nintendo Fan, you would had understood what they meant to do with the Wii. Taking chances on developing more the Gameplay instead of the graphics.

I really don't care the games don't have those amazing graphics PS3 and 360 have, that's why I bought a PS3 and even though I have Assasinc Creed, Soul Calibur IV and MGS4, i fin myself playing more Mario Kart Wii Online, Brawl Online (work pretty well for me), No More Heroes (just cant get bored of it) and there are x times 2 upcoming Wii games than PS3 games, most of them, are multiplatform and i'm going for the Wii version. Why? Because of the Gameplay!!!! Who cares about graphics??? Only 12 year old graphics whores

Say whatever you want, but if gameplay is not what you like, Wii still has scene, I don't see that Ps3 or 360 having a Quake port using IR pointing

bah
August 13th, 2008, 07:08
Im not a 12 year old graphics whore, not even a 24 year old graphics whore.

I don't see graphics and gameplay as mutually exclusive however.

I would have liked better gfx as well as the new input method myself. But I guess Im closer to a 'hardcore' gamer than a 'casual' one, so am not who they were focusing on in the design phase.

The wii-mote as is (with accelerometers and an IR camera) cannot create an accurate enough representation of real world movements in game to really allow any new styles of gameplay (a mouse is better than the IR aiming part of the wii-mote IMO).
My favourite wii game is mario galaxy and that would have worked better with the gamecube controller it was originally designed for (it was creative in ways other than input method).

Once they add this new part with a gyro we may be getting somewhere.

If you want graphics, get a high end PC.
If you want graphics cheaply and 'normal' gameplay, get a ps3 or 360.

If you want 'different' types of play then get a wii, but everyone knows going into it that it is closer to a gamecube in power than a 360. You cant turn around a while after purchase and say 'hey, this thing that I thought could be kind of gimmicky if not executed with great skill turned out to be gimmicky! Where's my gfx to compensate'.

paul3100
August 13th, 2008, 08:24
Nintendo were trying to undercut sony and MS and the only way to do that is make a console with SH*T hardware !

Both xbox & ps3 were originally much more than the £179 (uk) price tag of the wii and thats cause there is nothing new here, basically a gamecube with slightly nicer graphics!

Anyway ran out time!................ paul

bah
August 13th, 2008, 09:12
paul3100: While fanboys cry, Nintendo rolls around in their piles and piles of cash.

Rolling in piles of cash they have made by their clever business decisions isn't a great way to get heads of companies to change their ways.

paul3100
August 13th, 2008, 09:28
paul3100: While fanboys cry

Hope u were not calling me a fanboy?!?!?! i don't have a wii and will never unless its free or veryveryvery cheap!

I can see your point through about Nintendo raking the cash in, i guess thts what its about at the end of the day and most users of the wii are young and don't care about graphics!

paul, ...... ps all visit the site listed in my sig please :-) and help support a dying site before its too late!!!

Eviltaco64
August 13th, 2008, 09:40
For now I have no reason to get a Wii.
The only games Im missing out on are Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart Wii, and Super Smash Bros Brawl.
As for Virtual Console, Gamecube can run anything up to SNES (and soon N64 legally).
I'd eventually get a Wii if they had a few more games I'd go out of my way for.

DPyro
August 13th, 2008, 14:22
The games for Wii are shit, nuff said.

trugamer
August 13th, 2008, 14:28
The problem is graphics are a good reflection of budget.

I don't care if a game looks good, but when most of the games on the wii look worse than gamecube games it tells you the developer isn't putting any effort any in.

I don't care how a game looks but it only seems to be the games that give the standard of graphics the wii should be putting out that have the good gameplay.

Qmark
August 13th, 2008, 14:35
Maybe I'm on my own here but i think the Wii is the modern equivalent of the 2600 - flooded with shovelware and damaging the industry as a whole (you heard me). The reason we are seeing this "shovelware" is the same reason we saw so much on Gameboy and its descendants: A 'perfect storm' of leading the market and being easy to develop for.
That is why we are seeing so many Disney, cartoon, and movie tie-in games on Wii. A studio can squirt these games out in a month or two, and make millions on just the "mommy buy me that!!" demographic.

This didn't undo the industry when shelves were overstuffed with kids games for GBA, and it's not actually killing it now.

Rahabib
August 13th, 2008, 16:47
The worst part is that most "party games" copy each other so you get the same damn game with new characters. In fact none of them even offer online play which I figure would be key to a "party game."

same boring game play. same boring graphics. no online interaction.

give me a good FPS shooter with online multiplayer please!

feddon
August 13th, 2008, 16:50
Ive had a wii since launch, got a ps3 in april havnt played my wii since apart from mariokart wii and big brain academy with my girlfriend. in the mean time games life COD4 Oblivion Resistance and heavenly sword have all been completed and now i really have no urge to play the wii. Mario galaxy was amazing, truly was, but 1 great game on a console really doesnt cut it.

KristenBaldousor
August 13th, 2008, 17:26
The worst part is that most "party games" copy each other so you get the same damn game with new characters. In fact none of them even offer online play which I figure would be key to a "party game."

same boring game play. same boring graphics. no online interaction.

give me a good FPS shooter with online multiplayer please!

The Conduit (http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/tag/the-conduit/)

goshogun1
August 13th, 2008, 17:30
I don't mind the graphics that much. I figure Nintendo has a golden touch when it comes to game design. But some of the other 3rd party designers find something stupid that can be marketed towards kids, box it, and sell it to people who don't know any better. Thats why the majority of titles are crap.
I love my ps3/360, but my 360 has RROD 3 times, (and now my Power Supply Unit just died!) and ps3 is releasing a killer title once in a blue moon. 360 shouldn't have 50% failure rate..it's so powerful it can't handle it. :cool: I guess its all because it takes so long to make games that meet the graphical demands of todays fans, which have become so lofty that in a few years we will be demanding photo real gfx. But either way, its a good day to be a gamer.

vicious1988
August 13th, 2008, 18:21
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2007/249/reviews/939414_20070907_embed001.jpg
Sums this thread up pretty well

folderol4
August 13th, 2008, 18:31
Graphics are nice, but it is not an issue for me. The great retro games that stand the test of time have good game play. That is what matters.

3rd party vendors "dumbing" down gaming experiences for the Wii is a major problem. RockBand, Madden '08, NCAA '09 as well as others all come to the Wii with major functionality stripped.

The EA Sports new marketing campaign "All-play" has to stop. I have never played a game where you don't want to control where the players move. Do they really think my grandma who has never played video games is suddenly going to enjoy this because they do not have to control where the player moves? Give me a break.

If there is one more party/mini game made for the Wii I am going to explode. I wish these 3rd party games would stop being uncreative and attempt to develop games that are actually interesting beyond a 1 or 2 day experience.

Don't even get me started on the terrible $5 WiiWare internet flash game ports that are not interesting. Hmm! I know, let me pay 5 dollars to pop bubbles on my TV screen. Great idea!

I love Nintendo, but these 3rd party vendors need to step it up.

Shuichi
August 13th, 2008, 19:59
I'm sick utterly sick of hearing people say. "Gameplay over Graphics" There is absolutely no gameplay here to begin with Super Smash Bros. Brawl was fun for the first few weeks now look it at all my friends and most of alot of people don't even play it anymore and you know why? Here are the reasons.

1.The Onlne has Lag.
2.The Online is horrid barely featuring any cool features such as Adventure Co Op online or Boss Battles.
3.Because of this so called "Gameplay over Graphics" issue the Wii has less capability to storage the things we need and yes better graphics means there will be more storage to place them on so we missed out on a ton of characters cause of this.

The Wii also seems to have games that have less content than the Gamecube games just because of the irresponsive Wiimote controls. With stuff such as the WWE games Day of Reckoning 2 had Hell in a Cell, Cage matches Hardcore matches with actual items, Tables matches and TLC matches just tons of modes now Smackdown VS Raw 2008 had none of those it didn't even have a story or campaign mode like previous games it had some stupid feature where you just pick fights with people.

And what I still don't understand is why the Nintendo doesn't know how or just doesn't want to do some decent online play and there is no way in hell that it's not like they don't know how and this is why.

1.They have alot of money they can figure it out.
2.The DS like nearly all there games are Wifi compatible

The Wii is a joke and I really do regret getting it i've been with nintendo since the NES came out and defended it always but as time went by with this Wii I started to see how horrible this system actually is and Nintendo betrayed us all when they focused on Casual and Greed than there loyal fanbase.

feddon
August 13th, 2008, 20:36
I dont think it would take very long to list the Wii's killer apps, probably less then one hand, and the thumb has gotta be homebrew. Ive found me using my PS3 so much more because in truth the wii remote just isnt what it was built up to be. Its simply not accurate enough and makes games from control pad go to half a control pad and a waggle. I truly believe true 1:1 motion will change everything and truly interactive games will start appearing and dreams of chopping off heads in true swinging fashion will come true.

WhizzBang
August 13th, 2008, 23:19
I think that it is only people with High Def TVs that think the graphics are an issue.

I really think there is very little difference in graphics between Halo 3 and Metroid Prime on the Gamecube on my old fashioned analogue CRT TV.

mcdougall57
August 14th, 2008, 00:35

As a PS3 owner, you have to have balls to say that.

darkness angel 777
August 14th, 2008, 01:17
Being a retro gamer i don't mind primitive graphics i'm not saying the wii has bad graphics i'm saying they could be much better and i must also question the virtual console they put out games that i never even heard of would you download these games?Games such as super mario rpg and earthbound
should have been there long ago but as wraggster said the Wii has an important role to play for nintendo gamers and could be improved as a next generation console.

KristenBaldousor
August 14th, 2008, 18:52
I'm sick utterly sick of hearing people say. "Gameplay over Graphics" There is absolutely no gameplay here to begin with Super Smash Bros. Brawl...

I guess you only tried the gamecube scheme or the sided wiimote. If you try the nunchuck+wiimote enablign the shake feature, is pretty funny to play with

1.The Onlne has Lag.

Funny, the only times I had lag is when either my brother or sister use the internet to download stuff and watch videos. From there, i hadn't had lag, unless the other guys have lag. Remember, this game requieres broadband of at least 256kbps, no dial-up

2.The Online is horrid barely featuring any cool features such as Adventure Co Op online or Boss Battles.

I concurr here with you

3.Because of this so called "Gameplay over Graphics" issue the Wii has less capability to storage the things we need and yes better graphics means there will be more storage to place them on so we missed out on a ton of characters cause of this.

The storage issue != graphics issue. Wii and XBox bouth use double layer DVD to release their games. Storage issue only comes when we are talking about the DLC, not graphics. The graphics issue comes from the GPU and CPU of the Wii. Sir, you should be more carefull and try to learn english spelling, grammar and nitly tie your ideas. your logic is pretty messed up here

The Wii also seems to have games that have less content than the Gamecube games just because of the irresponsive Wiimote controls. With stuff such as the WWE games Day of Reckoning 2 had Hell in a Cell, Cage matches Hardcore matches with actual items, Tables matches and TLC matches just tons of modes now Smackdown VS Raw 2008 had none of those it didn't even have a story or campaign mode like previous games it had some stupid feature where you just pick fights with people.

Irresponsive Wiimote controls??? Either your wiimotes are malfunctioning or you just suck. I had found em pretty responsive, never had those problem many expierenced on No More Heroes with the wrestling moves, i could always perform em pretty easily

And what I still don't understand is why the Nintendo doesn't know how or just doesn't want to do some decent online play and there is no way in hell that it's not like they don't know how and this is why.

XBox Live, thats why. They are trying to keep the online feature as free as possible, that's why they are using p2p scheme to play games online, using server sided scheme mean you'll have to pay to play. Hence the friend codes. This service although has already beeen announced, still hadn't seen anyone willing to use it. Remember, pay to play 'll be using red circles on the box art instead of the blue one.

As any Wii user, i hate friend codes, but i'd hate even more to play a monthly fee to play online

The Wii is a joke and I really do regret getting it i've been with nintendo since the NES came out and defended it always but as time went by with this Wii I started to see how horrible this system actually is and Nintendo betrayed us all when they focused on Casual and Greed than there loyal fanbase.

Really, since then nes, in that case, you should have been aware of what nintendo was trying to do with the Wii, still, they don't care what you think, they already have your money, xDDDDDDD

____anders____
August 14th, 2008, 23:54
yeah, more originals like Zelda and Mario!! :)

EDIT: hmm, for the post above.. i think his wii and motes are malfunctioning:p
i like the wii, but yea the graphics could've been alittle better, but we can't do anything about it.. only nintendo or the conduit devs..

and i've never seen any lag at all on any wii online game i've played, so i guess he made a knot on the ethernet cable to his router when he played xD

..or maybe he use a 500m cable from his friends house cus he's too cheap to buy his own broadband:p
damn, just think of the delay on that (his) cable hehehe

brigg
August 15th, 2008, 02:29
Another promising Wii title http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34901.html

Shuichi
August 15th, 2008, 13:12
I guess you only tried the gamecube scheme or the sided wiimote. If you try the nunchuck+wiimote enablign the shake feature, is pretty funny to play with

Funny, the only times I had lag is when either my brother or sister use the internet to download stuff and watch videos. From there, i hadn't had lag, unless the other guys have lag. Remember, this game requieres broadband of at least 256kbps, no dial-up

I concurr here with you

The storage issue != graphics issue. Wii and XBox bouth use double layer DVD to release their games. Storage issue only comes when we are talking about the DLC, not graphics. The graphics issue comes from the GPU and CPU of the Wii. Sir, you should be more carefull and try to learn english spelling, grammar and nitly tie your ideas. your logic is pretty messed up here

Irresponsive Wiimote controls??? Either your wiimotes are malfunctioning or you just suck. I had found em pretty responsive, never had those problem many expierenced on No More Heroes with the wrestling moves, i could always perform em pretty easily

XBox Live, thats why. They are trying to keep the online feature as free as possible, that's why they are using p2p scheme to play games online, using server sided scheme mean you'll have to pay to play. Hence the friend codes. This service although has already beeen announced, still hadn't seen anyone willing to use it. Remember, pay to play 'll be using red circles on the box art instead of the blue one.

As any Wii user, i hate friend codes, but i'd hate even more to play a monthly fee to play online

Really, since then nes, in that case, you should have been aware of what nintendo was trying to do with the Wii, still, they don't care what you think, they already have your money, xDDDDDDD

Maybe next time make some valid points cause if you actually owned Brawl and played online you would know the game lags with out an internet problem.

And being the douche you are like the typical online bully you quoted each thing I said acting like you're some high superior being well guess what i'm not impressed so continue on with your nerdy fandomness while I take a real look at a good company turning into a pile of shit.

KristenBaldousor
August 15th, 2008, 17:01
Maybe next time make some valid points cause if you actually owned Brawl and played online you would know the game lags with out an internet problem.

'll be posting a photo of me holding my copy of Brawl wich cost me $30 on release week. Bought using the "buy one, get a $20 off on the next one" offert Toys'r Us had at the momment. I felt firty doing it, but my economic situation made me do it :P

And being the douche you are like the typical online bully you quoted each thing I said acting like you're some high superior being well guess what i'm not impressed so continue on with your nerdy fandomness while I take a real look at a good company turning into a pile of shit.

I can only see Nintendo being turned into a pile of cash, if you define cash as shit, then I concur with you sir

Eviltaco64
August 15th, 2008, 17:12
As a PS3 owner, you have to have balls to say that.

I see many more appealing games on PS3 than on Wii to be honest, and fanboys make it sound like multiplatform games are exclusive to the 360. Mario Galaxy, Brawl, and Mario Kart are probably the only things I'd want on Wii (along with that cool violent game).

KFR42
August 15th, 2008, 19:07
The Wii obviously is aiming for gameplay over graphics. The real problem is 90% of Wii title have neither. I like great innovative game play as well as great graphics, both at the same time if possible. But the Wii's hardware prevents the truly amazing graphics that other consoles have and the cames coming out are just poor gameplay wise. Dont get me wrong, I loved mariokart and I loved mario galaxy, but theres so much filler between the good games that they're almost eclipsed.

JKKDARK
August 15th, 2008, 19:44

I see many more appealing games on PS3 than on Wii to be honest, and fanboys make it sound like multiplatform games are exclusive to the 360. Mario Galaxy, Brawl, and Mario Kart are probably the only things I'd want on Wii (along with that cool violent game).

You forgot:

Alone in the Dark, call of duty, Castlevania Judgment, Donkey Kong Barrel Blast, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Mario Party 8, Monster Hunter 3, Nights: Journey of Dreams, Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles, Samba de Amigo, Sonic and the Black Knight, Sonic Unleashed, Super Paper Mario, Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World,

Eviltaco64
August 15th, 2008, 20:14
Alone in the Dark (on PS3 and 360), call of duty (on 360 and PS3), Castlevania Judgment (looks alright), Donkey Kong Barrel Blast (heard it got bad scores), Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers (also looks good), Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (on Gamecube), Mario Party 8 (heard that Mario Party 7 is better than 8), Monster Hunter 3, Nights: Journey of Dreams, Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles, Samba de Amigo (these 4 are good), Sonic and the Black Knight (so far, dont give a shit about this game), Sonic Unleashed (multiplatform), Super Paper Mario (missing out :/), Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World

JKKDARK
August 15th, 2008, 20:32
Tell me what awesome titles you can find on the legendary PlayStation 3 video game system

Eviltaco64
August 15th, 2008, 20:47
Tell me what awesome titles you can find on the legendary PlayStation 3 video game system

Im speaking for the PS3 and 360 here.
But you asked for it, so I'll give you a list:
Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Ratchet and Clank, Call of Duty 4, Grand Theft Auto 4, Battlefield: Bad Company, Sonic Unleashed, Dragonball Z: Burst Limit, Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm, Soul Calibur IV, Valkyria Chronicles, Bioshock, Metal Gear Solid 4, Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix, GRID, Gran Turismo 5, Assassin's Creed, Resistance, Resistance 2, Burnout Paradise, The Orange Box, Unreal Tournament III, Devil May Cry IV, Skate, Heavenly Sword, Warhawk, Tekken 5, Virtua Fighter 5, Elder Scrolls IV, Motorstorm, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, God of War III, Alone in the Dark, The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, and LittleBigPlanet.

Of course, they're not all exclusives, but as you can see the PS3 has a decent amount of games :D

Im also not a fanboy. The Xbox 360 is 1337astic, however, Im just tired of all the hardware problems. I know they're primarily fixed now 360 fans but Im just gonna wait until the hardware failure rate goes below at least 5%.

Wii is also a good console. Still, I dont feel the need to get one just yet as there's a large amount of good Gamecube games I havent even touched.

bah
August 16th, 2008, 04:09
Wii is good for having drinks with mates. Chatting, drinking and playing some fairly simple game like golf on wii sports or boom blox can be lots of fun.

Having said that I own none of the current gen home consoles, and play a mates 360 (gta4) more than I ever have his wii (mario galaxy, wii sports, zelda). :)

I think all 3 actually have a place this gen; xbox has live, ps3 is a cheapish blu-ray player, wii has a lot of simple pick-up-and-play games.

Better than 3 consoles, all of roughly equal power, trying to out market each other by suggesting the slight power difference between the systems alone really makes much difference.

pibs
August 16th, 2008, 05:01
Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Ratchet and Clank, Call of Duty 4, Grand Theft Auto 4, Battlefield: Bad Company, Sonic Unleashed, Dragonball Z: Burst Limit, Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm, Soul Calibur IV, Valkyria Chronicles, Bioshock, Metal Gear Solid 4, Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix, GRID, Gran Turismo 5, Assassin's Creed, Resistance, Resistance 2, Burnout Paradise, The Orange Box, Unreal Tournament III, Devil May Cry IV, Skate, Heavenly Sword, Warhawk, Tekken 5, Virtua Fighter 5, Elder Scrolls IV, Motorstorm, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, God of War III, Alone in the Dark, The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, and LittleBigPlanet.

Once you play the ports on the ps3 you will realize why that console has been such a disappointment for some gamers. And I don't see the point of people listing games that haven't came out yet to prove a point about having great games if they've never been played.

every console has its flaws but thankfully all 3nxt gen consoles have their strong points.:p

grossaffe
August 16th, 2008, 07:51
Im speaking for the PS3 and 360 here.

Of course, they're not all exclusives, but as you can see the PS3 has a decent amount of games :D

Im also not a fanboy. The Xbox 360 is 1337astic, however, Im just tired of all the hardware problems. I know they're primarily fixed now 360 fans but Im just gonna wait until the hardware failure rate goes below at least 5%.

Wii is also a good console. Still, I dont feel the need to get one just yet as there's a large amount of good Gamecube games I havent even touched.

so when naming wii games, you use multiplatform as an excuse to, well excuse the game, but when asked about ps3 titles, you decide to instead answer with not only multiplatform games, but you even combine 360 games in. well at least its consistent.

bah
August 16th, 2008, 09:09
At least when I was young, it was 'Sonic's better' vs 'Mario's better'.
I was in the 'Sonic's better' camp.

These consoles need a stand out mascot for you guys to personify your love of a particular console into.
Beats kind of arguing over a big list of games without actually mentioning the particular merits of any of them IMO.

I guess I'm about 50% joking. :)

Eviltaco64
August 16th, 2008, 14:15
so when naming wii games, you use multiplatform as an excuse to, well excuse the game, but when asked about ps3 titles, you decide to instead answer with not only multiplatform games, but you even combine 360 games in. well at least its consistent.

When I said "Im speaking for the PS3 and 360 here", I was talking about JKK's Wii list, and I suppose that can be taken out of context.
As you can see in previous posts, I was telling JKKDARK that they both have a far better 3rd party (and generally better games) than the Wii.
Still I like all the consoles and like bah said, they all have something good (i.e. 1st Party Wii games, Nintendo never lets it's fans down :D).

I included multiplatform games in there just like JKKDARK did, and the games on that list are all games on the PS3. Also I said "of course not all of these games are exclusives" because calling JKK out while not calling myself out would be pretty hypocritical. I was just trying to make a point that the PS3 has good games to offer.

No need to be a smartass, ok? ;)

grossaffe
August 17th, 2008, 07:56
I included multiplatform games in there just like JKKDARK did, and the games on that list are all games on the PS3. Also I said "of course not all of these games are exclusives" because calling JKK out while not calling myself out would be pretty hypocritical. I was just trying to make a point that the PS3 has good games to offer.

hmm... I forgot Bioshock was gonna be released on the PS3. I just glanced and saw that next to MGS4 which raised some flags

No need to be a smartass, ok? ;)
but smartassery is fun

sanderevers
August 17th, 2008, 08:18
Like on the GameCube, third party support is terrible on the Wii. But, there are only more third party games this time. And they sell really good. If you think that games like WiiFit and WiiSports suck, that's just because those games aren't designed for core gamers. Games as SSBB, SMG, Metroid Prime 3 (nobody named it, but it's simply (one of) the best Wii game(s) out now), Zelda TP, Resident Evil 4, ... make it all better.

And face it, most of the people that want good games have modchips. So they don't buy the games. Which makes them sell worse. That's why I don't have a modchip in my Wii and I buy those games.

grossaffe
August 18th, 2008, 09:18
Like on the GameCube, third party support is terrible on the Wii. But, there are only more third party games this time. And they sell really good. If you think that games like WiiFit and WiiSports suck, that's just because those games aren't designed for core gamers. Games as SSBB, SMG, Metroid Prime 3 (nobody named it, but it's simply (one of) the best Wii game(s) out now), Zelda TP, Resident Evil 4, ... make it all better.

And face it, most of the people that want good games have modchips. So they don't buy the games. Which makes them sell worse. That's why I don't have a modchip in my Wii and I buy those games.
While I agree with the main premise of this post, I don't think the majority of core wii owners have modchips. I have many friends with wiis, none of whom have modchips for them. If it weren't for the internet, I never would have known of 'em (which I don't use)

JKKDARK
August 18th, 2008, 17:07
Yeah, Wii games are doing really well on the charts. Few people use modchips luckily :)

KristenBaldousor
August 18th, 2008, 17:28
Yeah, Wii games are doing really well on the charts. Few people use modchips luckily :)

Well, people is most afraid of bricking their wii's, and replacing one is a great oddysey, as we know, there are only a few wii consoles on the market (even though, I had seen plenty around phoenix, people still claim to be hard to found) instead, replacing a 360 is not much of a problem

Eviltaco64
August 18th, 2008, 18:05
hmm... I forgot Bioshock was gonna be released on the PS3. I just glanced and saw that next to MGS4 which raised some flags

Oh, that's alright :)

Still, I have no reason to get Wii.

grossaffe
August 19th, 2008, 07:04
Oh, that's alright :)

Still, I have no reason to get Wii.

well **** you! just kidding. to each his own.

I'm lucky enough to have a brother with a 360 (and he's lucky to have a brother with a wii) so I can still get my hands on most of the must-have games that aren't on the Wii (not a fan of Metal Gear).

Eviltaco64
August 19th, 2008, 16:21
The only reason I dont need a Wii now is because there's at least 50 good Gamecube games out there I haven't touched.

grossaffe
August 20th, 2008, 09:32
The only reason I dont need a Wii now is because there's at least 50 good Gamecube games out there I haven't touched.
Yeah, I went back an searched for the top gamecube games that I had missed out on while I was waiting to find a Wii. A few gems that I had missed out on from initial release that I finally got around to were: Rogue Squadron (II and III, but II was better with more epic battles) and Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. If I ever find it, i'll pick up Beyond Good and Evil as that's supposed to be a really good game that slipped through the cracks.

If you haven't played it yet, Eternal Darkness is a really unique experience with excellent presentation. It may not have the best mechanics or even the best graphics, but they did something with that game that's really never been done before, which is to attack the person playing the game and not just the character they're playing. It also has a decent story which helps to immerse you into it.