PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 equal to or greater than Dreamcast

wraggster
November 5th, 2005, 23:17
1UP is featuring an excellent — yet very eerie — article comparing the Dreamcast to the Xbox 360. The article features 23 points which the two consoles have in common: from not supporting the future formats for movie playback (DVD for the Dreamcast and HD-DVD for the 360) to having the same guy running the marketing department (Peter Moore the Xbox 360 marketing boss also worked on Dreamcast marketing).

The similarities could be seen as wild coincidences, but when you’re about to launch a console that will cost your company billions of dollars, you don’t want it associated with one of the biggest product failures in recent video game history. Whilst the two consoles share a lot of similarities, there are also some important differences. For example the original Xbox was not a failure, unlike the Sega Saturn which signalled the beginning of the end for the games giant that is (was?) Sega.

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3145154

iball
November 5th, 2005, 23:35
Wow. I'm a huge gaming company and I want to hire the guy who did the marketing for a failed console.
Twenty bucks says he "knew" someone on the inside who got him the job.
In the IT field, we have a saying: "It's not who you are, it's who you know."

Jdemon
November 8th, 2005, 15:04
LOL that's a very entertaining comparison especially for thoes who remember all the things about Dreamcast that it's making comparisons to. Somehow I think the 360 won't have the same problems. As far as comparing the launch date vs a Sony upcomming launch date I think the 360 is going to get the advantage against Sony that Dreamcast never had. After the many delays of the PS2 I think less people are willing to wait for Sony. And they're ready and waiting to play online now vs 1999 when alot of gamers were confued by this alien concept. I could go on but only time will tell the answers. I think what this article makes me realize is how well Microsoft has stolen concepts from Dreamcast and is getting people to go for them rather than think they are strange or confusing. The mass market is no where near as "tech-phobic" as they were back when DC launched. Lastly if Microsoft plays this thing through right they could just blow PS3 away. Can you imagine what would happen if they have a Blu-Ray Upgrade Drive available by the time Sony is ready to launch and newer 360's that come pre-upgraded with it already by then.