PDA

View Full Version : libdi and the DVDX installer. - Mplayer Version Released what Reads off DVDs

wraggster
August 13th, 2008, 22:28
Some fantastic news from Erant (http://hackmii.com/2008/08/libdi-and-the-dvdx-installer/)

As you all know, I’ve been working on libdi (or the DVD Access library) for a while now. We had some problems getting it out to release because of the difficulties we encountered while writing the second part of this topic. The DVDX installer instead will install a small, hidden, channel on your Wii that allows you to read DVDs on an unmodified system. It is not an installer for a patched IOS. You may however need one, depending on your system.

Usage of this package is fairly simple. Run the installer.dol found in the package, follow the onscreen instructions, and you’re done.

Once you’ve done that, you can enjoy the splendor of mplayer. That what started out as a simple proof of concept has rapidly turned into a full-featured media player, under the nourishing hands of dhewg. The main aim of the mplayer project was to get DVDVideo going, but it also supports reading video files off the SD card. (Experimental).

A patch for Wii64, the N64 emulator for the Wii, will also be available shortly. This patch will allow you to read games off a DVD.

Download These via Comments

mplayer
libdi

If you have a modchip, you also need patchmii, in addition to the DVDX stub installer.
patchmii_core (http://static.hackmii.com/patchmii_core.dol)

Note that libdi is meant for developers, as it is embedded into applications that use it. End-users only need to grab it to run installer.dol once.

Please note that DVD+R (as opposed to DVD-R) discs will need to have their BookType set to DVD-ROM to work properly in Normal mode (if you have no modchip). PatchMii mode does not have this requirement, but requires a modchip.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Mini Moose
August 13th, 2008, 23:24
So far this only supports playing DVD Movies. It's not for reading video files off of a burnt DVD.

mikebeaver
August 14th, 2008, 00:01
Am I being n00b? I cant get the DVDX installer to show up in the Homebrew channel, no matter where I put it on the SD card, what am I doing wrong?

Mike..

iofthestorm
August 14th, 2008, 00:24
Am I being n00b? I cant get the DVDX installer to show up in the Homebrew channel, no matter where I put it on the SD card, what am I doing wrong?

Mike..
To run it through the homebrew channel, create a folder like dvdx or something under /apps, and then you need to add the meta.xml and banner images. You can just copy them from a different app, edit the XML file to say DVDX installer and then install that way.

Rupan
August 14th, 2008, 00:34
You dont need a metal.xml or a image anymore. Just put it in a folder you will be able to recognize. It will show up at the end of the HB channel menu saying "no description" and its name will be like "/apps/DVDX/boot.dol" I dont mess with making the meta.xml or banner image anymore.

watupgroupie
August 14th, 2008, 02:49
I've been waiting for this since homebrew started. This is awesome. And it'll be awesome when he gets it to load Wii64 games.

christian.remboldt
August 14th, 2008, 03:53
Just use wiiload, it comes bundled with the HBC apps package and is great for rare/onetime use apps or testing out new dol/elf's. No need to copy anything.

xxademasoulxx
August 14th, 2008, 04:16
yea but soon people are going to find a way to use so called back ups with a method like this :mad:

watupgroupie
August 14th, 2008, 04:20
For everyone having problems with the di app not showing up in the hbc, you have to re-name the .dol file to boot.dol instead of installer.dol. The hbc scans for all files with the name boot.dol when it boots up. Hope that helps.

xxademasoulxx
August 14th, 2008, 04:22
For everyone having problems with the di app not showing up in the hbc, you have to re-name the .dol file to boot.dol instead of installer.dol. The hbc scans for all files with the name boot.dol when it boots up. Hope that helps.

lol i was just about to say that

Mini Moose
August 14th, 2008, 05:45
And it'll be awesome when he gets it to load Wii64 games.

Why would anyone want this? It's not like any good/fun Nintendo 64 games run at playable speeds anyway. (I hope that I am wrong)

xxademasoulxx
August 14th, 2008, 06:06
Why would anyone want this? It's not like any good/fun Nintendo 64 games run at playable speeds anyway. (I hope that I am wrong)

yea wii64 has a shity framerate who cares if it will load roms off a dvd. i think its funny its cool to talk about roms for n64 which is pirateing games
but as soon as some one asks for a program to run wii backups its all bad. im sure any one that puts n64 games on a dvd is going to put if not every n64 game ever made on the damn thing. every person i know that plays a n64 emu on there comp etc. dosent own any game they have a rom of.. sorry thought i get that out..:D

J_Hibiki
August 14th, 2008, 06:11
yea wii64 has a shity framerate who cares if it will load roms off a dvd. i think its funny its cool to talk about roms for n64 which is pirateing games
but as soon as some one asks for a program to run wii backups its all bad. im sure any one that puts n64 games on a dvd is going to put if not every n64 game ever made on the damn thing. every person i know that plays a n64 emu on there comp etc. dosent own any game they have a rom of.. sorry thought i get that out..:D

Well the thing is running an N64 game IS pirateing, but for most N64 games no one stands to lose any money on them. With Wii games the developers DO stand to loose a lot of money.
Also I know that the N64 games have crap frame rate but if we get to the point we can load other emulators that would be great...because as it stands now to load a big CPS2 rom it takes over half an hour....then PSX emu is all I need because ps1 had the best RPGs of all time and I want to play them on the big tv one last time.

xxademasoulxx
August 14th, 2008, 06:50
Well the thing is running an N64 game IS pirateing, but for most N64 games no one stands to lose any money on them. With Wii games the developers DO stand to loose a lot of money.
Also I know that the N64 games have crap frame rate but if we get to the point we can load other emulators that would be great...because as it stands now to load a big CPS2 rom it takes over half an hour....then PSX emu is all I need because ps1 had the best RPGs of all time and I want to play them on the big tv one last time.

well virtual console has n64 titles so they are kind of looseing out on some money i but i hear you. and i also hear you about the bad ass ps1 games wooooooooo wooooooooooo

Shuichi
August 14th, 2008, 07:17
This program works awesome it's total pimpage.

m_jay
August 14th, 2008, 08:06
I've just tested it, it plays dvd disc, vob, avi, mpeg, wmv, flv...smoothly.

Mini Moose
August 14th, 2008, 08:54
I've just tested it, it plays dvd disc, vob, avi, mpeg, wmv, flv...smoothly.

Wait... did you play the videos (avi, flv, etc.) from the SD card or from the DVD?

sheridan2000
August 14th, 2008, 11:08
Ok now managed to get it to read one of my back up DVD's. Played Ok but after a while it froze and had to hold the power button on the Wii for 10 seconds to reset the system. Could not get it to read any other files on DVD apart from a back up dvd movie structure. Would not play any original DVD movies. Can play video files from SD card fine...and most appear to stretch automaticall to fit screen (nice touch).

No access to external hard drive like other media players for the Wii..shame....i think what is needed is for all the different people working on media players for the Wii to get together and incorporate all their player in one excellent player. then you could get USB support, dvd play back, network support, sd card support all in one lovely media player....one day i suppose.

Also had alot of freezes while using it and had to reset Wii

Great work so far..but a little way to go yet...LOL

fellipepb07
August 14th, 2008, 15:34
I cannot play any dvd's! I've already installed the patchmii and the di but when i press play dvd on mplayer it just freezes!! what can i do?

talon84
August 14th, 2008, 21:45
Mplayer stops loading at 82%. Has anyone else ran into this problem?

juicethehedgehog
August 15th, 2008, 05:48
hmm i just tested this. so far from what it seems
1. it plays DVDs that i have BOUGHT from thje store (watchign 13 ghosts now :P)
2. it does not play DVDs you have burned on a DVD (if so then please show me or explained to me what you did lol)
3. havent tried playing files from a data dvd nor sd card so i'll come back later in a bit about that. now i have to feed the cat and find something that im willing to erase to put int he movie.

kurtless
August 15th, 2008, 06:08
Hey I don't get some of this. I got the installer di to say installed dvdstub or whatever. Then when I go back to the Mplayer it just stays on the screen where it has team tweezer, and the mplayer thing on the right side of the screen.

Help plz?

rorrim
August 15th, 2008, 06:43
same here
can some1 help us plz:)

kurtless
August 15th, 2008, 06:49
I'm not alone, come my friend,people, give our media player's life!

kurtless
August 15th, 2008, 07:47
rorrim, I figured it out! the EXACT folder thats in the file you downloaded(.rar file, it has the mplayer folder inside), put that exact folder in your apps and BAM, it works.

OMIGHTY1
August 15th, 2008, 19:25
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
THIS IS CRAZY AWESOME! The Wii is actually capable of playing movies like the Polar Express! Nintendo has many idiots. The Wii has DVD movie capabilities, but they aren't taking advantage of it!

rorrim
August 15th, 2008, 20:08
rorrim, I figured it out! the EXACT folder thats in the file you downloaded(.rar file, it has the mplayer folder inside), put that exact folder in your apps and BAM, it works.

It worked!!!!!
Thanx!!:D:D:D:D
but which dvds can be payed on the wii?
I cant get dvds to work on th wii :(

Drego
August 16th, 2008, 01:44
Just tried this out and it works perfectly! I haven't sat down and watched a whole DVD but I was VERY surprised by the DVD quality. Thanks homebrew!

Quesada
August 16th, 2008, 16:15
hmm i just tested this. so far from what it seems
1. it plays DVDs that i have BOUGHT from thje store (watchign 13 ghosts now :P)
2. it does not play DVDs you have burned on a DVD (if so then please show me or explained to me what you did lol)
3. havent tried playing files from a data dvd nor sd card so i'll come back later in a bit about that. now i have to feed the cat and find something that im willing to erase to put int he movie.

Check your burnt dvds are...
DVD-R
Thats the only type of DVD It can read, So don't be putting in...
DVD+R
DVD-RW
DVD+RW.

type_theEND
August 16th, 2008, 17:10
yea but soon people are going to find a way to use so called back ups with a method like this :mad:

Now, now. Some people actually get their discs messed up and don't want to pay for a game they already own. And some would like to try a game before they buy it. But sadly it will be used for a lot of piracy which will ruin the good name of Wii Homebrew. But, hey, I can't wait for someone to get backup support, then I can play BWii again. *cries over shattered disc*

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
THIS IS CRAZY AWESOME! The Wii is actually capable of playing movies like the Polar Express! Nintendo has many idiots. The Wii has DVD movie capabilities, but they aren't taking advantage of it!
I hate to say this, but The Polar Express? Also, I don't see why we all want our Wiis to play DVDs. Yes, it'd be nice, but don't we already all own a DVD player?
Also, I heard somewhere playing DVDs on your Wii will kill your laser, is this true?

slipknot1564
August 17th, 2008, 20:25
I dont get this.
I Installed evrything i needed.
I can play burnt DVDs and not DVDs i bought from the store.
lol

EDIT: Forget it lol

type_theEND
August 18th, 2008, 18:21
Could someone please tell me if this WILL kill my Wii's laser? I'd love to be able to use DVDs to put music, etc on for MPlayer since that would give more room on my SD card for things that actually need it.

Quesada
August 18th, 2008, 18:52
It will not kill your laser, this is a myth.

slipknot1564
August 18th, 2008, 20:08
Could someone please tell me if this WILL kill my Wii's laser? I'd love to be able to use DVDs to put music, etc on for MPlayer since that would give more room on my SD card for things that actually need it.

As of know, i don't think it can read data DVDS.
SO you cant listen to music of of it.

xlarge77
August 21st, 2008, 18:59
Hi!

I got mine to read US DVDs and region free/burnt DVDs but it makes a terrible clonking noise when I try any UK DVDs. Does anyone know why that is?

Also, should mplayer be able to read AVI (DivX etc) from a DVD ?

Thank you !!!

XL
p.s. NTSC Wii and D2cpro

jbateman2114
September 24th, 2008, 22:26
i cant get the mplayer to play dvds. how do i get this to work plz contact me at [email protected] thank you

CubaseSX
April 21st, 2009, 12:44
awesome thanks mate I will let you know how i get on with the DVDx installer. :)