PDA

View Full Version : Which Gaming System Has the Most Love?

wraggster
August 13th, 2008, 23:28
Game Developer Research has surveyed more than 2,000 members of the videogame industry to find out which gaming platforms they were spending most of their time with. All of the participants polled were from North America and read either gaming industry site Gamasutra.com or Game Developer magazine.

According to the survey, 70-percent of all the applicants who replied said that they were making games for either the PC or Mac. The console platforms, combined as a whole, amounted to 43-percent of the pie; while 28-percent said that they were designing games for Web platforms. Rounding out the last place was the handheld platforms with 16-percent of the pie.

Upon further analysis of the console figures, 73-percent of the console developers surveyed said that they were making games for Microsoft's Xbox 360. In second place was Sony's PlayStation 3 with 58-percent. It is important to note that these percentages include cross-platform games. In third place was Nintendo's Wii, with 42-percent responding that they were working on a Wii game. Rounding out the fourth spot was the PlayStation 2 with 15-percent.

On the handheld side, 75-percent of handheld developers said that they were making games for the Nintendo DS. 45-percent responded that they were designing games for Sony's PSP.

In summation, the PC/Mac is the most popular game development platform among the participants surveyed; while the Xbox 360 and DS are the leaders of their own respective fields. It is important to note that while the Xbox 360 recieves the most console development support from game designers this does not necessarily mean that the console will provide the most games. Other factors such as team size and game development cycle must be put into consideration.

http://uk.psp.ign.com/articles/898/898620p1.html

JKKDARK
August 14th, 2008, 00:09
It's funny to see the Wii at the last place when it's the best selling system both in hardware and software.

mcdougall57
August 14th, 2008, 00:31
Probably the PS3 or XBOX considering the number of fanboys there are on both sides.

jrsmaster411
August 14th, 2008, 00:53
that's cause developers are making next gen games and that can't be made on the wii meaning better graphics and online play that works

goshogun1
August 14th, 2008, 01:23
Thought so. 360 and DS are really DROWNING in killer titles. So much that I have to pass on quite a few good ones because I can't afford them all. Maybe when they reach the greatest hits. Keep making em' guys. :)

Harshboy
August 14th, 2008, 16:26
360 and DS make perfect sense and is the outcome I would have wanted to see.

PS3 = Garbage
Wii = No 3rd Party Quality Control

jaws365
August 15th, 2008, 13:08
I like 2-D games and for that DS is the perfect platform.