PDA

View Full Version : SMS V0.5 (Sega GameGear and Master System Emulator by Yoshihiro)

wraggster
November 6th, 2005, 23:27
http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/files/Screen_sms_emu_gg.jpg

Yoshihiro (http://www.sonyxteam.com/) has followed up the release of his Sega Master System emulator that he last released on here (and not some other sites like they would have you believe), heres what he posted on his site:

<blockquote>Sega Master system & Gamegear emulator 0.5

Personnal Message :=) :
Remenber **********.com suckssssss !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( :p ;) :D )
zipped roms not supported yet ;=) .

Important :
This emu it's a port of MasterGear a non open source emulator .

Boutton :
TRIANGLE : used in game to return to the browser and load another game :)
CIRCLE : it's the boutton 2 of SMS paddle & GG
CROSS : it's the boutton 1 of SMS paddle & GG
START : Pause
SELECT : Sound on or Sound Off

New :
GPU Full screen added for the sms roms
Stretch screen for the GG roms
and some Fixs .

..:::: soon ::::..
Speed fix at 60FPS with the GPU .
sound fix at 44100 . 80% done
add The sega sg1000 support . 50% done
add the coleco support (it's a clone of the sg1000); 50% done</blockquote>

Download Here --> http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/smspsp.shtml

Thanks for a great release Yoshihiro :) and some cool comments.

iball
November 6th, 2005, 23:34
How can you port something that's not open source?
Did they give him the source in order to port it?
I mean, if it was an "official" port, then why is it not listed on their website?
http://fms.komkon.org/MG/

"Because of its portability, MG can be compiled on a wide variety of platforms: Unix, Amiga, Macintosh, MSDOS, Windows, etc. Unfortunately, it looks that for each person geniunely interested in hardware hacking and revival of the old videogame experience there is a dozen of adolescent gremlins hungry for a quick fun of playing pirated SEGA games on their PCs. Because of that, I decided against making MG source code publicly available and producing free versions of MG for MSDOS or Windows. I do not want to provide free entertainment for the vermin. I do feel it necessary to apologize for inconvinience created to all the intended users of MG. The complete up-to-date list of MG ports can be obtained from the MG distribution site. "

Sorry, I just don't trust Yoshi.

Sharkey
November 6th, 2005, 23:44
not alot of people do but the fact is that he, along with help,
has made some great things.
ill be checking this out, hopefully the speeds up to par.

edit: well its just for 1.0 so i guess i wont...

wraggster
November 6th, 2005, 23:49
theres a v1.5 folder ?

iball
November 6th, 2005, 23:52
I've noticed he's quoting a LOT of help from other people.
Hmmm...just how much of this did he "port" himself, I wonder?
And how much is code from other people?
He keeps saying it's "his" port? I thought that there was a "team" behind "Sony-x-team"?

parabolee
November 6th, 2005, 23:56
I thik he has VERY questionable ethics but has also brought some great stuff to the scene, be it using more of others peoples work than he is willing to admit or not.

Does this still work with the 2.00 Eboot loader?

I've been waiting for full screen support on this forever!!!

So I am thankfull to him for that at least.

parabolee
November 7th, 2005, 00:14
DAMN just tried this with the 2.00 Eboot loader and it doesn't work! :(

chrusti
November 7th, 2005, 00:25
Screw this emu , I was so happy when I saw the release but It is working really slow.
Well yes there is fullscreen now but unfortunately it is slow too now.
Thats really lame I wanted to play Sonic 2 really bad , but I guess I must go on playing some Genesis now.

Psphreak
November 7th, 2005, 00:50
I for one would like to see the Atari emu get sound and a speed up :(.

dman32
November 7th, 2005, 01:56
iball I would love to know why do you care about such things? if you didn't help make it..then why do you care who gets credit and who doesn't. If you're gonna start questioning ethics why not question something thats important...the cost of gas? sweat shops that have kids working in 3rd world countries....I think its nuts you waste your time by questioning who did what on the homebrew scene..when actually it doesn't effect you one way or the other. There is so much whining on these boards instead of being thankful that someone did something that you're not gonna do. I for one thank all homebrew/emulator devs...they are a god send and I really don't care about their ethics...I just care that they continue to do great work.

Insane1
November 7th, 2005, 03:31
iball I would love to know why do you care about such things? if you didn't help make it..then why do you care who gets credit and who doesn't. If you're gonna start questioning ethics why not question something thats important...the cost of gas? sweat shops that have kids working in 3rd world countries....I think its nuts you waste your time by questioning who did what on the homebrew scene..when actually it doesn't effect you one way or the other. There is so much whining on these boards instead of being thankful that someone did something that you're not gonna do. I for one thank all homebrew/emulator devs...they are a god send and I really don't care about their ethics...I just care that they continue to do great work.
Exactly my thoughts.

Lionhawk
November 7th, 2005, 04:28
Then... we should never be whining about anything... We should just be grateful. It's a shame if they steal credits or anything like that i think that's problem between them, the credit thief and the stole credit owner, and none of us should get between them. That's their business
Also, fame is not everything in this world. If you did it, be proud of it that's all that you need.

dman32
November 7th, 2005, 05:37
Yep you shouldn't care...they are not making money off of it...so who cares. Its not like how the two guys who didnt really make the matrix...got all that money...well they got sued..and had to pay allot of money. This is FREE...you can't sure for somethings thats FREE...so why should anyone care who made it. I know I don't.

Youdsie
November 7th, 2005, 12:46
I for one have been waiting for an update for a while, im hoping to see some form of state save so i can save some of the RPG's that i soo love playing on the SMS, i think its a matter of time before the speed is enhanced, yoshihiro, could you please add something like this? i think you would be making quite a few people very happy if you did. :)

storum
November 7th, 2005, 13:05
Thanks Yoshihiro, i love master system !!!

:)

vincesecuricor2005
November 7th, 2005, 14:38
would post but im to busy on mickeys castle of illusion lol

DraconumPB
November 7th, 2005, 14:58
no saving yet? darn =/

unfortunately i'm a lamer who can't seem to beat every game in one sitting ;)

though i beat sonic chaos... it was easy until that goddamn final boss! hehe

vincesecuricor2005
November 7th, 2005, 19:32
im lovin it not long and sms emu will b as good as the megadrive\genesis and snes ones out there cooooool

iball
November 7th, 2005, 20:01
For board that doesn't support piracy, which is good, why is supporting "piracy" of source code a "good" thing again?
Again, the guy who wrote the original MasterGear program never gave Yoshi the source code to port this. He's never heard of the guy. He sure didn't give him his permission.
So you're saying you support piracy of everything but PSP ISOs?

H3NCH
November 7th, 2005, 20:51
oi dont listen to iball he is basically a pussy who doesnt do piracy... well at least he claims that

Psphreak
November 7th, 2005, 21:42
iball, WHO GIVES A SHIT!!?? That is the point these people are making and I agree. If you don't like it, nobody's holding a gun to your head, DON'T DOWNLOAD IT! I bet you use Sonyxteam's version changer or wab's version changer right?!

Just let it go, it's not worth bitching about who did what with what anymore. Just be happy this shit is free. If Yoshi was charging for it THEN we'd be more concerned about Yoshi's source and what not, but until then enjoy what comes for free.

iball
November 7th, 2005, 21:51
iball, WHO GIVES A SHIT!!?? That is the point these people are making and I agree. If you don't like it, nobody's holding a gun to your head, DON'T DOWNLOAD IT! I bet you use Sonyxteam's version changer or wab's version changer right?!

Just let it go, it's not worth bitching about who did what with what anymore. Just be happy this shit is free. If Yoshi was charging for it THEN we'd be more concerned about Yoshi's source and what not, but until then enjoy what comes for free.
It's still "piracy". Or do you mean that because it somehow doesn't "hurt" Sony like all the evil ISOs supposedly do, that it's OK to steal someone else's source code and claim it as your own?
Didn't Yoshi do this before?
This site doesn't provide links to "pirated" ISOs, why is it providing links to a program made from stolen source code?

H3NCH
November 7th, 2005, 22:41
ok ill admit this is childish... but still

iball is a pussy iball is a pussy iball is a pussy iball is a pussy

does anyone want to join in with me?

iball
November 7th, 2005, 23:04
ok ill admit this is childish... but still

iball is a pussy iball is a pussy iball is a pussy iball is a pussy

does anyone want to join in with me?
Again, your command of the English language is laughable.
You lack the intelligence to engage in a proper debate.
You act like a small child. What's wrong? Did mommy and daddy not show you enough "love" today? You were molested by a family member, weren't you?
I find it strange that you feel you can talk about something you've never seen in real life outside of the National Geographics you steal from the library and whack-off to in your treehouse.

vincesecuricor2005
November 7th, 2005, 23:26
lol cant we jus all play (psp) nicely fellas?

jman420
November 8th, 2005, 00:11
you friggin wankers! omg! the person that released the sms emulator for psp is a total friggin genious! needs to be given a medal! i personaly cant wait untill the speed issue is fixed so i can finnaly play Y's on my psp! so thank you for making a sms emulator! . . . now on to the larger problem . . . IBALL! wtf are you talking about! this dude made the greatest emulator ever and your complaining about ethics. . . he got the source code and ported it, either that or he decompiled the original emulator, but i doubt that it was "piracy" and evin if it was, who gives a crap! your the only one i have seen on here complaining about the emulator, it is pure genous that someone made sms on psp. . . the single greatest console system on the single greatest hand held system! common give the guy a break! and stfu! . . .

THE GREATEST EMULATOR FOR PSP IS PSPSMS!
thank you

iball
November 8th, 2005, 00:17
I really love the hypocrisy and double-standards that go on in some of these threads.

vincesecuricor2005
November 8th, 2005, 00:21
whoa ok so back on topic, it seems like ur enjoyin this emu jman 420 any game suggestions that work ok with it?

Psphreak
November 8th, 2005, 01:31
I never did the play the Sega Master System, any good fighting/action/adventure games you guys recommend?

iball, I know of what Yoshi did all too well way back in the day. The whole situation was just full of idiotic people feeding off of a "downgrader". I know what you're saying by comparing stolen code with stolen isos. If this is an issue with the article posted, pm Wraggster about it, unless you like to attract more attention to Yoshi. One suggestion, let it go, these people aren't getting money for it. Have fun as I don't see any milestones reached in emulation anytime soon.

Vancougar
November 8th, 2005, 03:24
definately worth checking out.

vincesecuricor2005
November 8th, 2005, 04:21
couldnt we jus be thankful for the emu all other things aside (as there aint no facts) its pretty cool.

Vancougar
November 8th, 2005, 05:03
Yeah it is totally cool. SMS was one of my favorite systems growing up. To go back to those memories of Zillion, Space Harrier, Double Dragon, Black Belt and Alex Kidd is a trip. Yashiro is doing great work on the scene. I can't wait for his next release with this emulator.

Although i was glad about the screen being enlarged and all, I'm still kinda let down that it runs slower than the last one he released. But the picture is cleaner; so it doesn't look like theres a lightning storm going on in the background on Wonder Boy.

Still, 8 bit support of any kind on the PSP rocks! And I sure as hell like playing these games more than any of the crap that gets committed to UMD these days.

da1writer
November 8th, 2005, 15:36
How can you port something that's not open source?
Did they give him the source in order to port it?
I mean, if it was an "official" port, then why is it not listed on their website?
http://fms.komkon.org/MG/

"Because of its portability, MG can be compiled on a wide variety of platforms: Unix, Amiga, Macintosh, MSDOS, Windows, etc. Unfortunately, it looks that for each person geniunely interested in hardware hacking and revival of the old videogame experience there is a dozen of adolescent gremlins hungry for a quick fun of playing pirated SEGA games on their PCs. Because of that, I decided against making MG source code publicly available and producing free versions of MG for MSDOS or Windows. I do not want to provide free entertainment for the vermin. I do feel it necessary to apologize for inconvinience created to all the intended users of MG. The complete up-to-date list of MG ports can be obtained from the MG distribution site. "

Sorry, I just don't trust Yoshi.

Hello,
I've been an avid fan of this site with it's news and homebrew apps i can use on my psp, especially emulation. Recently I decided to check out the forums and read up on a few things. Something hit me like a ton of bricks when i saw this thread. Who the HELL gave this guy the rights to port this! I, da1writer, Project Administrator of Morphgear (MG) and Forum Moderator of it's site (http://www.spicypixel.com/forum/view-profile.asp?action=view&uid=826
http://www.spicypixel.com/forum/category-view.asp) is utterly flabergasted with what this guy has done. Marat is our dedicated Programmer/developer and would not give out his source-code without our consent on his behalf (ie, he would tell Me, Bluetrane, GSC, and Aaron the thumbs up to distribute it to other people). Marat is in a full fledge agreement with us and this guy has somehow slipped under our noses stealing our source code somehow. The only sourcecode we have released are under the already freeware agreement (Generator, SNes9x, Hugo), our commercial modules have not gone under our open-source license at all meaning you have to pay for the modules to use them (VGBA, iNes, VGB, Mastergear) and is not to be exploited to your liking (ie ripping out the source code somehow) without our consent. We of the Spicy Pixel Team will now get to the bottom of this and will find as many sites talking about or releasing the smsv5. Stealing is never a good thing and the Spicypixel Team is utterly pissed off with what this person has done! I'd like to make a small request to the administrators/moderators from us at SpicyPixel, could you remove from your site any files dealing with this author and his sms emulator (mostly the sms emulator) and any threads about it to be closed/removed. Thank you for your time and patience in reading this, hope this does not drag down anything on your site. May you all have a good day.

Side note: A better sms emu came out anyway from ********** called smsplus. grab it from the attachment below :) Doesn't support saving right now but will soon by the author Chris Swindle.

iball
November 8th, 2005, 16:48
See what happens when you support stolen source code?
Go ahead. Continue to support Yoshi's code thefts.

vincesecuricor2005
November 8th, 2005, 17:49
iball jus cool it man its out nowe so unless the original coder wants to start up something then be thankful for the emu

iball
November 8th, 2005, 18:02
iball jus cool it man its out nowe so unless the original coder wants to start up something then be thankful for the emu
He did. Read his post.

vincesecuricor2005
November 8th, 2005, 22:30
oh well theres a newer better one out now so end of argument Surely?

jman420
November 9th, 2005, 05:59
well i never said somthing yesterday, sry i live in USA oh well, there are some of the greatest games ever on SMS. Y's the vanished omens, Astro Warrior. pretty much all of them are awesome, but those 2 are my favorite . . .

vincesecuricor2005
November 10th, 2005, 01:31
u gotta love it i forgot all bot the sms for a while now its hot again, oh how ive missed it

da1writer
November 14th, 2005, 16:21
Dear Sir's/Ma'am's
After much efforts, it seems that a few sites have heard me out and have shoved Yoshi's program (SMS PSP) out from their websites. I will be personally emailing Yoshi a "Cease and Desist" letter along with Four others endorsed by the other SpicyPixel (Morphgear) Team Members and a not so happy letter by the developer/programmer himself, Marat Fayzullin. We are very unhappy with doing this whole ordeal but it must be done or our reputation will be ruined, winning 4 years in a row for best emulator for pocket pc:
http://www.pocketpcmag.com/awards/category_2004.asp?catid=38#Emulators

We will not back down because of a small developer who decides to steal code, our code, without our permission, it's unforgivable! I will also be happy for someone to email me the email address of the main Moderator or some moderator of this psp forum so i can get in contact with them in order to take the program (SMS PSP) off the website of dcemu. Sorry to be the stick in the mud as you would say but our program's code (Mastergear) is commercial and was not disclosed as open-source coding and i wish not to get this any more serious than it is right now. May you all have a good day.

Note- Thanks iball for the email :).

vincesecuricor2005
November 15th, 2005, 01:58
whoa, all you gotta do is click on wraggsters name (at the first post in any thread usually) and pm him or e-mail him from there, yoshi kinda sucks again dont he?

souLLy
November 15th, 2005, 07:47
Sorry I've only just noticed this thread, da1writer are you positive that this is stolen sourcecode etc?
our site certainly wouldn't support behavior like that, what would you suggest dcemu the site should do with regards to the emu, remove it from the site?

Darksaviour69
November 15th, 2005, 11:45
agreed, if its stolen code we should remove the release from our site.

vincesecuricor2005
November 15th, 2005, 12:37
and so it begins, the end of yoshihiro (again)

souLLy
November 15th, 2005, 13:50
Let it be known that everyone who has flamed, or has broken the forum rules in this thread will be closely watched- particularly those who said "who cares if it's stolen". You've all been warned.

da1writer
November 15th, 2005, 18:27
Sorry I've only just noticed this thread, da1writer are you positive that this is stolen sourcecode etc?
our site certainly wouldn't support behavior like that, what would you suggest dcemu the site should do with regards to the emu, remove it from the site?
This is entirely stolen source code as mentioned in my 2 post in the thread. We only have 3 file extensions of the Morphgear Main Module that our open-sourced (Snes9x, Hugo!, and Generator) because those are under the Freeware agreement.
http://www.spicypixel.com/confluence/display/spicypixel/Home
As for VGB, VGBA, iNEs, and Mastergear extensions, those are our Commercial (Paying) extensions which cost $20 a piece.
http://www.komkon.org/fms/MorphGear/
These four extensions are closed source and is not to be redisrtibuted unless gaining the approval by the Developer/Programmer himself Marat Fayzullin. Marat sent us some nasty letter accusing us for sending it to Yoshihiro, when we never did such a thing. Marat is only working with us through a contract and he believed we of the Spicy Pixel Team we're crossing the line on that contract. When we all came into a meeting (Instant messenger grouped), we came unto the same page, Yoshihiro stole our closed- source code without gaining any permission whatsoever. We were all absolutely furious with what had come to be and we of the Spicy Pixel Team have all our Cease and Desist Letters already written up and Endorsed by ourselves for Mr.Yoshihiro. If he does not comply to our demands, which are below in a small summary, we will have no choice but take Legal Action for what he has done. We may seems to be the assholes in this deal but this is an entirely serious matter. If anyone is able to give us an email of Yoshihiro's, we will highly be appriative of what you have done for us! Thank you everyone of your support.

Hello Mr.Yoshihiro,
You must cease and desist of continuing the project called SMS PSP and must remove it from your website. You must also lose all support of the program itself as well. If you do not accept our demands, we shall have no choice but file a Legal Court Order in your name. We do not take theft of Closed Source code lightly and never will in this matter. We hope to hear an email from you and see a change on your website soon or utter consequences will come to be. Thank you for your time Mr. Yoshihiro and may you have a good day and a good life from this learning experience.
Signed
The 5 Members of The Spicy Pixel Team

wraggster
November 15th, 2005, 18:47
hmm i have contacted both aaron and Marat and i will await their decision on what to do, we at DCEmu wont stand for any stolen source but from what i understand this release was from an earlier available source code butlike i say im waiting for them to tell me what they want me to do.

da1writer
November 15th, 2005, 19:02
Thank you for the reply. Hopefully this situation will tone down a bit. If i am fussing over something like early source code (which i do remeber him releasing some time ago ) please correct me of my ways. Since I'm not able to get in contact with Yoshihiro anyway I'm not sure if it is or not...

wraggster
November 15th, 2005, 19:52
Hi again, in the homebrew and emulation scene all coders and sites should respect the source codes that the work was based on.

Yoshihiro didnt thank the original coder Marat which he should have done, i have contacted Marat again and he kindly sent me this reply

"As far as commercial part goes, that PSP port is free, so nothing is
violated here (I ask for royalties only if somebody is using my code
commercially)"

I did say that i will put a link on both my site (psms page) and the forum thread to Marats site with a link to Donation if theres one.

It does seem that it is the early source code but again if its not and obviously you, Marat and Aaron will know more than me we will take down all downloads asap.

(i for one dont need the hassle :p)

Qmark
November 30th, 2005, 10:54
Ethics and theivery aside, is there any known way to get the games to display in simple 1x? I simply don't see the point of using the whole screen when it means utterly ruining the aspect ratio.