PDA

View Full Version : Wolfenstein 3D News, Sound Fixed At Last! (News Only)

Zack
August 14th, 2008, 23:04
Just a small update post on how things are going with wolf3d.

Chilly Willy Aka JF and I have finally fixed the original sound code.
Tv Out has also been added.

I am now just working on fixing other stuff and stabilizing the game then a release will be made.

Shouldn't be long now :)

So just to repeat, sound is now finally fixed. Sounds fantastic, the sound effects now play at the proper tone and do actually finish playing the full sample at last. Gun shots and every other sound effect sounds clearer and more detailed. Music is crystal clear also.

Sorry to keep teasing you all with news and no releases. The reason for me doing this is because the next release of Wolfenstein will be the last one from me. So I want it to be perfect before I release it.

Then I will be moving onto another project, which as yet is up for voting for I guess :)

Stay Tuned.

AdamRav
August 14th, 2008, 23:58
Thanks for the update

Mista Grimm
August 15th, 2008, 00:02
no worries, take your time :thumbup:

Zack
August 15th, 2008, 01:23
Need a favour from someone.

That crashing bug that was spoke about in the previous Wolf news thread has been identified.

It only affects 1 version of wolf3d data files..... I am trying to figure out whether it is the cd or floppy files but I am unsure as to which is which ...... so ..

Now to help me fix this i need a big favour from someone..

can someone please send me he following.

1) All data files from the floppy disk version of wolf3d.
2) All data files from the cd version of wolf3d.

These have to definitely be from the floppy and cd versions. And clearly marked.

I need you to be 100% that the files are the correct ones.

Thanks.

AdamRav
August 15th, 2008, 03:34
Need a favour from someone.

That crashing bug that was spoke about in the previous Wolf news thread has been identified.

It only affects 1 version of wolf3d data files..... I am trying to figure out whether it is the cd or floppy files but I am unsure as to which is which ...... so ..

Now to help me fix this i need a big favour from someone..

can someone please send me he following.

1) All data files from the floppy disk version of wolf3d.
2) All data files from the cd version of wolf3d.

These have to definitely be from the floppy and cd versions. And clearly marked.

I need you to be 100% that the files are the correct ones.

Thanks.

Check your Private Messages

:thumbup:

JLF65
August 15th, 2008, 07:50
I'm not JF here at DCemu, Zack. :)

Just a minor update myself... I've updated the sound so that it will do up to eight simultaneous sound effects. The original code only did one at a time. Zack reported that to me as a bug. :D Well, that "bug" is now squashed. ;)

da1writer
August 15th, 2008, 07:59
This is great news Zack, glad I contacted Chilly Willy for ya eh ;)! Sorry I haven't been on recently to chat/help, Boss is working me like a dog these past few days, so sorry again. Oh and thanks Chilly Willy/ JLF65 for helping Zack out, me and him were searching so hard for someone's help over this damn sound problem. You two keep up the good work and I'll chat with you this weekend for sure Zack! Cya.

Fr0sTy
August 15th, 2008, 16:50
i can't wait til this is 100%!!!

Zack
August 15th, 2008, 19:17
This is great news Zack, glad I contacted Chilly Willy for ya eh ;)! Sorry I haven't been on recently to chat/help, Boss is working me like a dog these past few days, so sorry again. Oh and thanks Chilly Willy/ JLF65 for helping Zack out, me and him were searching so hard for someone's help over this damn sound problem. You two keep up the good work and I'll chat with you this weekend for sure Zack! Cya.

Yeah two minds are definitely better than one :D

azul88
August 15th, 2008, 22:51
Thanks so much for your efforts, Zack! I'm really looking forward to it and checking this forum every day for Wolf3d news... :)

You talk about voting for your next project... Here's my vote:

Postal 2 STP port for the PSP! :p

cheers!

azul

Zack
August 16th, 2008, 00:29
I would like 2 more beta testers for the next release please.

The next release will more than likely be the last so it has to be right.

If you would like to be one of the two beta testers wanted, please apply in this thread.

I will only select people of whom i think are trustworthy.

Leaking test versions I send you or posting details about test versions without my consent will be frowned upon.

Testing will include really just playing the game and making sure it doesn't crash.

There was a bug from day one preventing a certain set of wolf3d data files from getting into the third level. Since I doubt anyone got that far (probably waiting for sound fix) it was never detected until now.

So when I say you will need to test it, I am talking about getting at least past that level each time, either with or without using the cheats.

Thanks!

Zack
August 16th, 2008, 01:38
Sorry for double post :

Update :

Crashing bug found at last!.

Turns out to be related to the demo at the start of the game.

Fixing it is just a matter of time now :)

Keep ya posted!

elliott_nally
August 16th, 2008, 06:34
Hey Zack, have you thought about adding a notification in the top left corner of whats going on like done in NewWolf? Basically have red or whatever color is best viewable display in the top left corner then either scroll up, out of view or simply fade away after a few seconds. The reason for this is sometimes I think I am getting shot at when only I am picking up ammo or treasure on the ground. I dunno just my thoughts on what could be added in before you stop working on it.

Examples:

http://i35.tinypic.com/28i2t15.png

http://i33.tinypic.com/259lws5.png

Also maybe adding in a viewable map of some sort Like also done in NewWolf?

Example:

http://i36.tinypic.com/2ltitsy.png

Let me know what you think.
- Cobra

Zack
August 16th, 2008, 15:43
Hey Zack, have you thought about adding a notification in the top left corner of whats going on like done in NewWolf? Basically have red or whatever color is best viewable display in the top left corner then either scroll up, out of view or simply fade away after a few seconds. The reason for this is sometimes I think I am getting shot at when only I am picking up ammo or treasure on the ground. I dunno just my thoughts on what could be added in before you stop working on it.

Examples:

http://i35.tinypic.com/28i2t15.png

http://i33.tinypic.com/259lws5.png

Also maybe adding in a viewable map of some sort Like also done in NewWolf?

Example:

http://i36.tinypic.com/2ltitsy.png

Let me know what you think.
- Cobra

Yeah why not. I will look into it.

Zack
August 16th, 2008, 17:59
Update

The bug that caused the crashing on a certain set of wolf3d files on the third level has been fixed.

It just requires you to apply a patch once before you run it and it works like a charm then :)

Release is getting pretty close now :D

bah
August 17th, 2008, 07:32
Nice work to all involved, cant wait for the final polished release :)