PDA

View Full Version : Disney Interactive looking to make RPGs

wraggster
August 15th, 2008, 02:02
Disney Interactive Studio VP Graham Hopper thinks Disney needs more role-playing games. Speaking with GameDaily, Hopper says the company has an RPG in the pipeline, but can't yet make an announcement. Square Enix's Kingdom Hearts series is probably the only RPG we can think of that uses Disney characters, but that was more of a dalliance on the house of Mickey's part.

Hopper goes on to say that RPGs fit with Disney because the company believes storytelling and character design are important. He notes the company isn't looking to make "the hardest core RPG," but a blend, which he believes the studio is fully capable of. May Diablo help us if Disney's answer to role-playing is something like High School Musical RPG.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/08/14/disney-interactive-looking-to-make-rpg-games/

Veskgar
August 15th, 2008, 02:21
I think that is an excellent idea. Maybe an original story but with cameos by various Disney characters. Without being too much of a Kingdom Hearts ripoff of course.

Everyone who reads this, type up what Disney franchise you'd most like to see an RPG for.

My answer to that would be to see Duck Tales resurrected as some sort of fun Adventure RPG. A lot of the stories were heavy on exploring, treasure, etc. So the character building, party system, exp., etc. would work really well in an RPG game based on Duck Tales.

Come on Disney, you know that would sell. Put my idea to work will ya! Duck Tales rules, nostalgia sells, and it would be a great game for both kids and parents alike.

Ok, now the wheels are turning and I can't shut up. This game could also have loads of side quests for opportunities to increase Scroodge McDuck's wealth which he can in turn delegate to Huey, Dewey, and Louie to buy weapons, armor, magic, and other equipment.

JKKDARK
August 15th, 2008, 04:04
That's a great decision, because I will never care for other kind of games made by Disney.

that1guywiththeface
August 15th, 2008, 15:28
As long as it isn't any queerer than certain parts of Kingdom Hearts (and does not include Hannah Montannah) I think they could put out something decent.

TVarmy
August 15th, 2008, 18:10
Keep in mind that they have Warren Spector. Maybe they could make a cool FPS RPG about some of their more adult fare. Pirates of the Caribbean comes to mind. Or the National Treasure series. Or maybe they could do something entirely original.

goshogun1
August 15th, 2008, 18:58
How about some really snazzy looking adventure games in the vein of Lucasarts games of old? I miss that genre. :o Its still around, but far and few between. Disney would translate well to the genre, especially if cel-shaded. I just can't imagine most Disney characters killing hundreds of monsters, while getting loot. Liked KH, but it just felt odd.

jamotto
August 16th, 2008, 01:11
Disney let's get dangerous and try Darkwing Duck as an RPG.