PDA

View Full Version : PSP News & Lik Sang Competition Entrants

wraggster
November 9th, 2005, 01:34
The PSP NEWS & Lik Sang 30 Day Coding Comp (http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/psp30codingcomp.shtml) are now here for you to see, heres a rundown of those entries and the persons involved:

The Entrants

William Edmeades - Loki (#1)

This is not a complete game but rather an insight to making this game and a demo of the game itself. I do not expect to win anything as it is not finished or tuned to perfection as it still has problems which can be easily solved and changed. I do not have the time at this moment to complete this project but if people find it interesting and want it completed, I will try my hardest to complete this project.

Do anything you want with this release, if you dont like it, Kill it. I will try to release a good LUA game with plenty of comments in the near future as long as everything that i plan goes well.

Stéphane Lévesque - Ikuzo (#2)

This game work on firmware 2.0, & 1.5

Deniska / NOIZ2SAv07 (#3)

NEW IN V0.7:

- tate mode: lot's of people requested this feature...More room for action & better scaling. looks and controls much like "Star Soldier"
Note: I desided to create a separate tate-mode version, since it's using different sized graphics. If you like the horizontal mode, stick to v0.6 for now.

- !!!!nicer graphics: customizable backgrounds, wireframe mode, semi-transparent shapes.
- new blue color scheme. If you like the original graphics, ovewrite the files in images directory with the stuff from images_classic.
You can still create your own color schemes/backgrounds/hud. Just edit the files in images directory.
- 50% new soundtracks..
- Menu graphics logic adjustments.
- Numerous optimizations and bug fixes.
- src code included..

Mike Haggar - PSPicross 0.2(#4)

Picross (a.k.a. nonogram, pic-a-pix, griddler, etc.) game for the PSP. Made in LUA for PSP.

Xul8t0r / Submission (#5)

Press X to start the game. Use the analog controller to move the pointer, and use X to fire a missile. You can only have one missile in the water at the time. Look at the small square in the down-left corner to see when you can shoot. Green means that you can shoot, while red means that you cannot. Try hitting the bigger boats for most points. You have 20 missiles, and there's 30 boats to hit. If you run out of missiles, or there's no boats left, then the game is over. You can press start at any time to quit the game.

PSmonkey / Quake 3 Bsp Map Viewer (#6)

This is a simple app writen over the past 2 days that lets you view a
quake 3 bsp map file on the psp. This is early alpha build!!

l33th4x0r / Connect 4 (#7)

2 player connect4

The downloads and screenshots can be found here --> http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/psp30codingcomp.shtml

PSmonkey
November 9th, 2005, 02:07
! GO BSP VIEWER !
Also picture is old. lacks lightmap that gives the enviroment more detail. :P

xmodx
November 9th, 2005, 03:02
What is this crap? Is this everything? I waited how long for this and there aren't any new apps that are useful?!? LAME WRAGGSTER LAME! Where are the 2.0 hacks like a really good 2.0 eboot loader that supports kernal based emus or something that would actually show some progress I don't care about a lame ass connect 4 game! I could go the salvation army and by the freaking real boardgame for $0.25! This is such a let down just like the build up to this thing was. I sincerely hope that you are saving the best for last.

Insane1
November 9th, 2005, 03:56
I'm quite dissapointed at the results of the contest as well, as I was expecting something more revolutionary or a new high speed emulator as well, but I'm going to just leave it at that. No use in ranting on and on, since complaining won't change what was entered. Just gotta hope the next contest brings in more participants and entries.

PSmonkey
November 9th, 2005, 05:10
what did you guys exspect for the prizes given?

I actualy did not know about this contest till monday, so why my entry is a little empty since it's just what i had to date over a 2 day period. If I had a week it would be more on par with my pc quake 3 map loader which does some really nice stuff.

cloudd
November 9th, 2005, 05:20
Well the prizes are not that great. Would you put your heart an soul in to something just to win a logitech sound addon. Myself hell no, but what if someone was to give the 3 best winners each 1 of the 100 new modchips for psp that are going on sale on ebay nov 22nd was it??? At least they would be getting something to progress there possibilities for new apps in the future. Everyone would benefit from this. For the people burning the applicants, where are your admissions? Oh right you didn't enter becuase you people don't even know how to code! Good job people it's a start the more coders the better the scene will be. Hopefully there will be more psp coders soon.

Insane1
November 9th, 2005, 05:40
Well I appologize if it seemed like I was putting anyone down/burning anyone.

xmodx
November 9th, 2005, 06:50
Maybe I was a little harsh... and I didn't mean anything personally to any of the coders because, yeah I'll admit it, I can't code for shit I was just expecting more and honestly I didn't really consider the prizes I would asume that a major breakthrough would be prize enough I just assumed anyone that had one would submit it to score some extra loot amongst the praise. On the subject of the mod chips word is it's a scam for one mod chips go against ebay policy and there are a million other reasons why it appears fake so... food for thought.

watoto
November 9th, 2005, 15:12
well this kind of contests are always a small disappointment,but only because you end up expecting too much.

I know I'm used to gp32 contests and those are always a huge deal for people.I think it's a start,maybe there could be more contests with bigger prizes,consider this a first step for the community I guess,nic job anyway!

vincesecuricor2005
November 9th, 2005, 16:14
no emus.........oh well

PSmonkey
November 9th, 2005, 16:24
Question. Did anybody actualy try out my bsp loader? I really am looking for some feedback on it.

vidgrip
November 9th, 2005, 16:58
I'm really dissapointed with the responses here. Has anyone played any of these games, or did you just read the names of the entries and decide that it was all garbage because there wasn't a full speed version of GBA or a revolutionary PSX.

As for the prizes mosrt people who code for the PSP aren't doing it for the loot, they're doing it for the pat on the back, and the respect they get from the end users.

So far no one has shown the people who coded for this contest very much respect. I'm not surprised that we're not seeing more.

Every time something new comes out, I see alot more "this runs slow" and "can you add this" then I see "good job" and "thanks"

Nice Guy Eddy
November 9th, 2005, 17:47
a

ArKo
November 9th, 2005, 20:06
hell no - there shoudn't be any disappointment!
these guys are doing that stuff for us, and its for free - we should be happy (and i am happy!) that someone does a lot of work, and that we get this fun for doing nothing, think about it...

anyone who says he is disappointed should go code himself!
thats my opinion.

THANKS! to all you guys who spend their time into this!
Keep up the good work!
I mean, without you we would just have nothin'.

ArKo

Stenaf
November 9th, 2005, 20:53
I haven't had time to try them all, but noiz2sa is really, really great!

vincesecuricor2005
November 9th, 2005, 21:06
i never said these programs were no good or anything like it, all i meant was i personally was hoping for an emu, i have nothing but respect for coders and the work they do

biocat
November 9th, 2005, 22:52
I'm happy to hear about the new version of the noiz port. In fact, could anyone post a 1.0 build of it, please?

Amiga
November 9th, 2005, 23:47
congrats to all who entered ,they deserve nothing but praise.

MGFox
November 10th, 2005, 00:03
PSmonkey:

I have tried your BSP Loader with a few of my own maps, and I must say I'm very impressed! These maps are large with quite detailed geometry and lighting and your loader displayed them at a very reasonable speed!

Unfortunately, I ran into a few clipping problems but considering the amount of time you spent coding it they were acceptable (PM me if you want screenshots or the map for testing)

BSP Loader gets my vote!

Cheers,
Fox

PSP_Newbie
November 10th, 2005, 00:04
i second that
and i really wanna try the game that looks like star soldier, always wanted something like that for the psp

bill00000
November 10th, 2005, 00:11
Okay, my comments on the coding comp entries:

Connect four:
In definite need of AI for one player mode. I'm also leery of games that have one person hold onto each side of the psp. I don't trust anyone enough to do that. If you already use the lua player a lot, might as well have it in there.

PSMonkeys BSP Map viewer:
Very cool. Could this be the beginning of a homebrew FPS engine? I know the PSP can't quite handle quake 3, but could an fps be made that uses it's maps? Very cool proof of concept thing.

Submission:
Froze my PSP and had to cold boot it.

PSPicross:
I had fun with it. I'm hoping the game will automatically advance levels soon. Or maybe I missed something. A little more colour would help, too. Maybe different colour scheme selections. Full screen is needed as well. It felt like a nes or gameboy emulator. Seems like much complaining, but it's because I want to play it a lot more and want to see it perfected!

Nois2sa:
Great game. Reminds me of a 2d REZ or ikaruga (I wonder...) I like this better than that commercial shooter from Japan (the name escapes me... star something?) Very Cool.

Ikuzo:
Another vertical shooter. It handles well, but is unfinished. There is only one enemy (that I saw), and I played for about 5 minutes without the game getting any harder or changing. Promising for future updates, though.

Loki:
More of a tutorial than a game, there's some good information here far beginners to learn about lua.

SmashinGit
November 10th, 2005, 00:13
My vote goes to Deniska / NOIZ2SAv07 (#3)
A great looking shooter.

vincesecuricor2005
November 10th, 2005, 01:09
i know it seems strange but i really do prefer ikuzo theres just so much potential and i prefer the actual gameplay than the similar noiz2sa cool

cklee
November 10th, 2005, 02:26
[QUOTE=bill00000]Okay, my comments on the coding comp entries:

Submission:

Ikuzo:
Another vertical shooter. It handles well, but is unfinished. There is only one enemy (that I saw), and I played for about 5 minutes without the game getting any harder or changing. Promising for future updates, though.

QUOTE]

submission is faulty - will not run

ikuzo needs music and more action but shows great promise

thank you all for your contribution to the psp community :D

PSmonkey
November 10th, 2005, 03:38
Thanks for any feedback regarding the BSP Viewer. I am fixing many issues and posibly releasing a new build next week to improve the framerate heavly. My current build now pushes the lightmaps into vram which locks the fps at a wonderful 30fps. I have to figure out why it's not jumping to 60fps for some reason (its definantly api related and not the engine).

Also if I get lucky and can figure out the psp benzeir hardware, I might be able to suport quake 3's curved surfaces in hardware which should look amazing.

PSmonkey:

I have tried your BSP Loader with a few of my own maps, and I must say I'm very impressed! These maps are large with quite detailed geometry and lighting and your loader displayed them at a very reasonable speed!

Unfortunately, I ran into a few clipping problems but considering the amount of time you spent coding it they were acceptable (PM me if you want screenshots or the map for testing)

BSP Loader gets my vote!

Cheers,
Fox

Question, was it near the ends of the screen? If so that is a problem because of the psp clipping plane. Its not modifying the polygons to solve this (like say opengl or directx would). so insted it just drops the polygon. :( If it's something else, please PM me a link to where i can download the map and I will look into it.

PSMonkeys BSP Map viewer:
Very cool. Could this be the beginning of a homebrew FPS engine? I know the PSP can't quite handle quake 3, but could an fps be made that uses it's maps? Very cool proof of concept thing.

Yep, It is the beginning of a homebrew fps engine. :D

MGFox
November 10th, 2005, 18:20
Question, was it near the ends of the screen? If so that is a problem because of the psp clipping plane. Its not modifying the polygons to solve this (like say opengl or directx would). so insted it just drops the polygon. If it's something else, please PM me a link to where i can download the map and I will look into it.

Although I did experience the Polygon-Drop at the edge of the screen, the clipping problem I mentioned seemed more to do with distance. Here are some screen-shots to try and demontrate the problem:-

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/buckie/shot1.jpg

What you are mainly looking at is the two towers (any similarites to movies or events is purely coincidental) at either side of the main building, you can see the stairwells and torches through the walls.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/buckie/shot2.jpg

Still looking towards the same building but further back, you can just about see the left tower in view, but the main building and the right tower are lost in the...fog...very dense fog!

I assume the "fog", as I call it (you may call it "draw distance"), is intentional to preserve processing power. All I'm really pointing out is the geometry being seen through walls.

If you still want the Map I'll upload it and PM the link to you as it was a group project and I don't have permission from the other group members to publicly distribute it! (I will ask them however)

Cheers,
Fox

PSmonkey
November 10th, 2005, 18:45
Although I did experience the Polygon-Drop at the edge of the screen, the clipping problem I mentioned seemed more to do with distance. Here are some screen-shots to try and demontrate the problem:-

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/buckie/shot1.jpg

What you are mainly looking at is the two towers (any similarites to movies or events is purely coincidental) at either side of the main building, you can see the stairwells and torches through the walls.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/buckie/shot2.jpg

Still looking towards the same building but further back, you can just about see the left tower in view, but the main building and the right tower are lost in the...fog...very dense fog!

I assume the "fog", as I call it (you may call it "draw distance"), is intentional to preserve processing power. All I'm really pointing out is the geometry being seen through walls.

If you still want the Map I'll upload it and PM the link to you as it was a group project and I don't have permission from the other group members to publicly distribute it! (I will ask them however)

Cheers,
Fox

Ok Fox, That looks to be a depth issue. I will have to look into that more ( I get simular issues on the pc with polygons far in the distance having z fighting issues). It seems the more polygons on screen the less precission it gets for distant polygons.

Oh also keep track of this topic. I will posting more updates there regarding the viewer. I already this morning fixed an issue with the Z axis going in the wrong direction (so everything was mirrored on the Z axis ).

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66890#post66890

-edit-
Ps. Thanks for the pictures. That level looks amazing.

Xul8t0r
November 11th, 2005, 03:09
Okay, my comments on the coding comp entries:

Submission:

Ok, there seems to have been a problem when wraggster repacked the file I gave him, and a file went missing (dunno why he repacked from 7z to zip either).

Here's the original archive:
http://haggar.pocketheaven.com/xul8t0r/SUBmission.7z

Thanks to Mike_Haggar for hosting.