PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Hacked - New Future Homebrew Exploit ?

wraggster
August 15th, 2008, 21:48
The Maker of the following Video has claimed to have hacked the PS3 and found a way to get games running off the hard drive, could this be the breakthrough for a major surge of homebrew (not the BDJ homebrew) for the PS3

http://www.youtube.com/v/RIV9LOyqlgQ

DCEmu is not interested not supports piracy only interested in hacking for the use in Homebrew.

Shrygue
August 15th, 2008, 21:56
More like a fake to me, just looks like that Tiff file exploit trick that appeared a while back which didn't lead to anything as far as I know.

Sonicboy 101
August 15th, 2008, 22:18
It is real, but it won't run any unsigned code such as homebrew.
Here is the original article, from ps3hax:

The video shows:

- Warhawk running from HDD

- no PKG version

- no WH disc while WH is running

- Motorstorm running as proxy disc

- legal way

I wont explain the details here till the project is finished 100%, also cuz many devs want to take a look at first and not get it patched that fast. I can say that if all will work like I want it to you'll need:

- "special" game dump of the game you want to play from HDD

- one (any) original bd game

- 2x minimum 60GB HDD's (illegal way - it worx but its not allowed in most countrys - its working like a packed game on psp memory stick)

OR

-1 60GB HDD + original disc (legal way - no need to be inserted while playing)

Im using newest firmware PAL 60GB SKU. 3 games tested yet - working.
Games which should be possible from the knowledge i got yet:

- Warhawk
- Motorstorm
- Resistance
- GT5
- COD3

I cant check more atm, as I dont have else here. The final way will be a bit different than the video shows. Even there are 2 different ways then to do it, thats because there are 2 different groups of games. One can be done with 1 HDD but then you need the original disk of the game.

i dont support piracy, this is just to safe your disks

THIS IS JUST A PROOF OF CONCEPT - NOT A FINISHED PROJECT!!!

if video doesnt work as stream just download it:

http://www.nera-studios.eu/ps3.MOV

better quality vid will come when i get new hdd + repaired hdtv

I hope you see theres no hidden PKG (game list is shown), no hidden disk (i insert motorstorm). At the end of the video i just wanted to show its no test unit --> watch the settings.

Sorry for bad TV quality, my HDTV just exploded and i need to use SDTV for 2 weeks now

if there are any questions, you can ask but i dont say ill answer all.

Brainy142
August 15th, 2008, 23:26
lol His HDTV exploded XD

Khorney
August 15th, 2008, 23:50
i'm skeptical at best. interesting to hear, but i wouldn't get too excited until we have some tangible that we can actually use instead of mysterious haxx0rs dangling it above our heads

DPyro
August 16th, 2008, 00:00
Ugh, why would you get peoples hopes up by saying that. This is not running code, and won't allow homebrew.

kamanashi
August 16th, 2008, 01:01
Ugh, why would you get peoples hopes up by saying that. This is not running code, and won't allow homebrew.

Though, I think it's fake, the reason they say this could help homebrew is because it shows we can run games like we do on the PSP. So, if we can figure out how they program Demos or DLG for PS3, the we could make our own, and possibly run them using this method if it is real.

jvabbdac
August 16th, 2008, 01:09
Yeah... i don't support piracy too... But is will be cool for saving BD Drive and lens ! (Sure, with your original BD)... But it's will be better if some day we can use HB on ps3 !!!

mcdougall57
August 16th, 2008, 01:37
I doubt much piracy will be going on considering the games are 10-15 gig

pibs
August 16th, 2008, 02:16

im sure there will be tools to cut down their size. hdd come in terabytes now so space is not that big of an issue to stop piracy.

this vid looks awfully fake though

phsychokill
August 16th, 2008, 02:20
my PS3 has a 250GB hard drive in it they are only standard laptop hard drives and designed for easy access by sony. you can even change it without affecting your warrenty as sony recormends you remove the hard drive if you ever send your console for repair.

but as said above the hard drives come in loads of sizes the laptop internal drives I have seen go up to about 320GB but if some1 gets this to work from a USB device they go up to 1000GB.

Xeon_2006
August 16th, 2008, 04:26
Doesn't look fake to me but video quality is poor.
May be this could be major step towards PS3 homebrew scene.

Mc_Logical
August 16th, 2008, 13:46
Doesn't look fake to me but video quality is poor.
May be this could be major step towards PS3 homebrew scene.

I thought the BD-J is a step towards homebrew? lol not loading back ups from ps3 HDD, wouldn`t homebrew need to be .pkg files?

Eviltaco64
August 16th, 2008, 14:36
I thought the BD-J is a step towards homebrew? lol not loading back ups from ps3 HDD, wouldn`t homebrew need to be .pkg files?

Java homebrew isnt that good imo.
The most advanced Java Emulator I've seen is NES, and that can be run in Linux alaong with many other emulators.

Napalm-Death
August 16th, 2008, 15:10
I hope this is real, I wouldn't mind carrying around my games on my HDD.

huhster
August 16th, 2008, 19:08
The method is pretty cool, but like mathieulh and Alek, "this is a proof of concept."

If you guys actually believe that you will be backing up PS3 ISO, think again. These ISO compress to 32GB (statistics taken from MGS4), now imagine when they are uncompressed.

To accommodate this problem you can install a 3.5 HDD instead of the 2.5 HDDs (laptop HDDs). 3.5 HDDs have the highest space capacity on the market.

The "proof of concept" can actually lead somewhere good, well for consumers. Developers will be forced to use the raw power BD instead of just adding un-coded data to the BD. This would mean more content and the other crap they promised the BD would be.

One last thing, the people that keep crying they would like this "proof of concept" to run an un-signed code so the PS3 could enable homebrew, please STFU. Are you not aware Sony provided tools to partition the internal HDD of the PS3 to install a third party OS?!~!

Install LINuX and do your emulators there, quit crying and stop saying you do not support Piracy!~!

I actually believe people think the PS3 is exactly the same as the PSP. haha, the PS3 is not going to be "hacked" in the same manner. Our best chance is through our old friend Linux. Linux to this date has enabled us to do cool stuff with the PS3. It is a matter of time till Linux unleashes the power of the ps3~!

Nicko01
August 16th, 2008, 23:01
huhster, the linux that the PS3 can run is too limited to really be useful. There are some things that can be done, but not really much.

Also, storage is not as much as a problem as downloading the files would be. Downloading 30GB would take a VERY long time... The most likely situation is people would rent the games to rip them.

I really don't want piracy on the PS3 because that would damage it's profits. Most game console's profits are from games anyway. Homebrew, though, may help hardware sales if it becomes well enough known.

As for the "exploit", people have said that it was confirmed by some trusted PSP hackers... I don't know if I really believe it though. We'll just have to wait.

phsychokill
August 16th, 2008, 23:44
trust me people will get the games down to size the reason that PS3 games are so large is they dont compress anything. so technicaly if you put the game iso into a zip file would shrnk a load but it would just take a long time to compress and extract.

JKKDARK
August 16th, 2008, 23:58
I heard ripping PS3 games take a long time. Is this true? Because I don't think many people will take a lot of time just only for ripping the game, considering they have to download the game..

DPyro
August 17th, 2008, 00:08
Depends on the game. Something like Warhawk will take less time than a game like Metal Gear Solid 4.

phsychokill
August 17th, 2008, 00:30
not even sure how you would rip them as tried a PS3 disc in my PC's bluray drive out of interest to see how big they are but it just rejected them saying it couldnt read them when it has no problem with any other bluray disc.

DPyro
August 17th, 2008, 02:10
Swiss Army Knife.

phsychokill
August 17th, 2008, 02:36
them knives realy do everything dont they? lol

Eviltaco64
August 17th, 2008, 02:50
them knives realy do everything dont they? lol

http://blog.evaria.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/swiss-army-knife.jpg

I'd say so :p

Xeon_2006
August 17th, 2008, 04:20
its confirmed by alek who is Dark Alex right hand and maintaining this blog

http://alek.dark-alex.org/PS3Zone.php

Xeon_2006
August 17th, 2008, 04:29
its confirmed by alek who is Dark Alex right hand and maintaining this blog http://alek.dark-alex.org/PS3Zone.php

Man it's not piracy to Backup legal PS3 BD's u own its just to save ur PS3 lense and play more games without ejecting one disc and insetring another disc.
BTW i think PS3 60GBSKU is best for Backups and homebrews.

THE#1SonicFan
August 17th, 2008, 09:23
most first generation ps3 games will fit on a single layer dvd anyways. And most others will fit on a dual layer. I'd say MGS 4 isn't really 32 gbs anyways. If I had my guess theres a lot of padding there. I'm glad to see this happen actually, even though I hate the ps3. It's always nice to see a console get hacked. You do all know that this only can be done with an older firmware right? Just putting that out there. But lets just say they start making their own firmware just like for the psp. We all know that it's going to start this cat and mouse chase again.

Ennohex
August 17th, 2008, 13:25
I'd be happy if I can run my original games off the HDD. I hate listening to the laser slowly dying.
ESPECIALLY now that Burnout Paradise is supposed to be a PSN release. I wish that games creators would allow full disc installs on the PS3.

Eviltaco64
August 17th, 2008, 16:57
Im pretty sure that most people wouldnt do this (especially with stock drives) until the PS3 can run unsigned code from the XMB and could run some sort of ISO compression tool.
I mean, if you think about it, MGS4 has to be huge, so huge that it would probably wouldnt fit on a 20GB PS3 drive or a 40GB PS3 drive (and would barely fit the 60GB) without compression.
Games like Resistance and Motorstorm would probably fit.

mcdougall57
August 17th, 2008, 17:44
im sure there will be tools to cut down their size. hdd come in terabytes now so space is not that big of an issue to stop piracy.

Most piracy comes from downloading from torrents which aren't that fast. So most wont bother waiting a month for a game to download.

Eviltaco64
August 17th, 2008, 17:58
Most piracy comes from downloading from torrents which aren't that fast. So most wont bother waiting a month for a game to download.

You'd be suprised how much you can compress an ISO. I once saw a Gamecube ISO compressed from 1.35GB to 350MB in a .rar file.

And if you had a good torrent, you could probably download a compressed game in maybe a week.
Could extremely large ISOs be the end of mainstream piracy (at least for a few years)?

phsychokill
August 17th, 2008, 18:18
I downloaded the first series of heros in HD cause I missed it the total size was 30GB and it only took about 40 hours. it all just depends how many people are on the torrent. but you will find if alot of people want to pirate games the people getting them will most likly get the full speed thier conection can do.

mcdougall57
August 18th, 2008, 01:59
Could extremely large ISOs be the end of mainstream piracy (at least for a few years)?

I would say so but you may be right about the whole compression thing because maybe some of the ps3 games are uncompressed because of the availability of free space on BR discs.

F9zDark
August 18th, 2008, 23:18
You'd be suprised how much you can compress an ISO. I once saw a Gamecube ISO compressed from 1.35GB to 350MB in a .rar file.

And if you had a good torrent, you could probably download a compressed game in maybe a week.

The reason that is is because alot of games are filled with "dummy data" data that isn't used by the game itself, but it exists to simply fill the disc to thwart amateur pirates.

Pirates who don't know about dummy data will have a hard time trying to get a site to host the file and/or will take longer to get the file to seed via torrents since people will have to have the whole file or significant parts of it to seed it enough to make its download time reduce. (For example, a 1 gig file takes, say 10 hours to download with 1 seeder, the original pirate. However, until that file has been completely downloaded by a second person you will never get a reduction in download time. Optimally, said file needs to be downloaded by many individuals before its download speed is reduced enough for most people to deal with.)

On the same vein however, torrents are THE fastest way to get large files. This depends all on the amount of SEEDERS and LEECHERS. A 1 gig file with 0 leechers and 1000 seeders all uploading at 1 megabyte a second will allow you to download that file in damn close to 1 second.

General Plot
August 19th, 2008, 00:12
The reason that is is because alot of games are filled with "dummy data" data that isn't used by the game itself, but it exists to simply fill the disc to thwart amateur pirates.
Actually, the main purpose of including dummy info in games was so that the real game data would be pushed towards the outside of the disc. No matter what medium you use (CD, DVD, BD, etc...), data always reads quicker the further towards the outside of the disc it is. By including dummy info to push the data to the outside, loading times can cut to minimal time if the data can be read at a faster rate (obviously).;)

do_me_nice
August 23rd, 2008, 08:42
Wow @ F9zDark... please wikipedia...

If your torrents are slow, it's because you are on a public tracker... find a private one.

Forget about homebrew. If you want to be selfritious about hacking your PS3 do it elsewhere.

F9zDark
August 23rd, 2008, 17:02
Wow @ F9zDark... please wikipedia...

If your torrents are slow, it's because you are on a public tracker... find a private one.

Why is that? My dummy data argument? General Plot already informed me of my incorrect information regarding that.

As for torrents, judging how they work and seeing that Seeders are required to get said files quickly indicates to me quite clearly how they operate. Private trackers still require that members part of the tracker have the files and are sharing them. My point still stands that people need to SHARE the files to get them QUICKLY.

DPyro
August 23rd, 2008, 18:18
When your downloading a torrent, your automatically sharing it.

lmtlmt
August 24th, 2008, 01:29
not always

F9zDark
August 24th, 2008, 07:27
When your downloading a torrent, your automatically sharing it.

True, to a degree, but my point that torrents require people sharing the file still stands; it all goes back to seeders and leechers...

Without a seeder you won't ever get the file; with 1 seeder you'll get it very slowly; with 1000 seeders and 1 million leechers you may as well not even bother downloading the file at all...

DPyro
August 24th, 2008, 14:22
True, to a degree, but my point that torrents require people sharing the file still stands; it all goes back to seeders and leechers...

Without a seeder you won't ever get the file; with 1 seeder you'll get it very slowly; with 1000 seeders and 1 million leechers you may as well not even bother downloading the file at all...

That only means you need 1 seed for every thousand leechers. A seed is only required to help compare what parts are missing, and finish the download. If there are that many leechers, you would still be able to download off them to get the other parts.