PDA

View Full Version : Sony To Offer Lower Priced UMD Movies

wraggster
August 16th, 2008, 00:09
Sony is readying a new strategic effort to establish the PSP as the best portable movie viewing device. With nearly thirteen million PSP hardware units sold, some analysts think that it may be easier for Sony to generate new interest and momentum in UMD video. Video Business reports, “Sony is shaving new release list prices to $9.99 to $14.99,” which is about half the price of UMD movies released in the past. Sony is also promising to do the bulk of the work with UMDs: management of licensing, manufacture, distribution, marketing and selling the studios’ films for them for the PSP. Expect to see at least five to seven studio-licensed UMD’s each quarter; MTV is already on board and has seen relatively good success with this new plan.

“We want to provide a legal offering from the studios, … and it’s an easier conversation to have with them now,” said John Koller, director of hardware marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment America. “There’s a lot of positive momentum with the PSP.”

Video Business is also reporting that they hope to see more “impulse purchases” from teenage males with this new pricing scheme, as previous UMD movie pricing was almost on par with the price of a full DVD.

“The biggest issue with UMD was the lack of creating for a targeted demo,” said Koller. “When we first launched, it was a difficult sale. I don’t think it’s a big stretch to say that a 16-year-old doesn’t have a lot of discretionary income. … We were offering UMDs that were more expensive than DVDs at the time. And we want content that is in line with what the demo is asking for, action and comedy … not romantic dramas.”

http://www.sonyinsider.com/2008/08/15/sony-to-offer-lower-priced-umd-movies/

jvabbdac
August 16th, 2008, 01:04
I love UMD movies... but is a shame that have litle title list in my language (portuguese) So... Sony, don't think we don't like UMD movies....

jamotto
August 16th, 2008, 05:29
This is good news.

caffeinekid
August 16th, 2008, 10:05
I thought UMD movies were deader than HD-DVD. :o

kjetil1991
August 16th, 2008, 12:08
i dont buy umd movies anymore dvds are cheaper

Hevyduty
August 16th, 2008, 16:00
I've bought a few UMD movies lately, but they were on clearance. Basically, $5 to $8 is my price point for them now. Good to see Sony moving prices closer to that range.

JKKDARK
August 16th, 2008, 18:40
i dont buy umd movies anymore dvds are cheaper

I agree. Plus I prefer to see movies at home on a big screen with great sound.

alanparker05
August 16th, 2008, 23:21
Why can't they just admit that umd is dead they must have a truck full of blank umd's that need using up and don't want to just drive it into a river where it belongs

Nicko01
August 16th, 2008, 23:36
I only ever bought one UMD movie... I really don't think they are necessary unless you love to watch movies and don't like to convert them.

Who even has the time to watch a movie on PSP anyway? Most people would just use a laptop if they have to. It seems their target is a pretty small group of people.

JKKDARK
August 16th, 2008, 23:59
Yeah. Movies on portable systems are only good if you're traveling for several hours.

jamotto
August 17th, 2008, 00:52
Most people would just use a laptop if they have to.

I could see a portable dvd player even though they have really crappy sound quality, but a laptop? You would buy something that is bulkier, has less battery life and costs way more?

alanparker05
August 17th, 2008, 02:26
I say replace some of those umd's with wmd's and send some You getting on my nerve gas to the sony execs for making almost no effort to get developers back making games

ICE
August 17th, 2008, 02:35
I'll continue playing movies off my memory stick. DVD's are cheaper and easily ripped to the PSP.

Eviltaco64
August 17th, 2008, 02:47
I remember them saying that they were going to drop the price of UMDs to a similar price maybe a year ago now?

Either way, it'd be nice if they did.

Nicko01
August 17th, 2008, 02:50
I could see a portable dvd player even though they have really crappy sound quality, but a laptop? You would buy something that is bulkier, has less battery life and costs way more?

A lot of people who travel a lot, the kind of people who use portable video devices, already own a laptop. I also meant portable DVD players too. I assume you would understand what I am trying to say.

Stone Temple Pilots
August 17th, 2008, 05:27
I doubt they'll see much more sales with this idea. UMDs are dead. Away with them I say.

Auriman1
August 17th, 2008, 05:44
I had one UMD movie that came with the psp, which I ended up selling, and never bought another. It makes more sense to just put videos directly onto the memory stick, if anything, especially with all the endless video converters that are available in every last corner of the internet.

jamotto
August 18th, 2008, 00:50
A lot of people who travel a lot, the kind of people who use portable video devices, already own a laptop. I also meant portable DVD players too. I assume you would understand what I am trying to say.

That's what I assumed, but most of the laptops that I have don't make very good movie players, because the ones that could actually run a recent game didn't have a battery life long enough to complete one movie. This is one of the reasons why I ended up picking up a psp, best of both worlds at least for me.

Justise
August 18th, 2008, 13:53
I thought that UMD Movies were the stumpiest thing on earth.
I was wrong.
After i learned that Sony continue to boost UMD movies instead of a movie conventing program, or a firmware that support more video formats, i've changed my mind.
Sony manage Defy Ainstains Theory by reaching the very limit of stupidity.