PDA

View Full Version : What Kind of Games Are You Good At?

wraggster
August 17th, 2008, 20:31
It's Friday! Time for, that's right, TELL US DAMMIT. here's how it works: We ask a question, you answer it. Simple and no strings attached! This isn't some marketing survey or whatever. It's an emotional investment in you. Yes, we're interested in knowing you, Kotaku reader person. You probably know ****tons about us — more than you even want to, we're sure. But, hey, we'd like to know about you. That way you won't be some faceless blob — and we might feel a tinge of guilt when we ban your ass. Or not, because really we're incapable of human emotion. Not sure!

There are many different game genres. We don't want to know which is your favorite, but rather:

Question: Which game genre is easiest for you or which one do you excel at?

http://kotaku.com/5037806/what-kind-of-games-are-you-good-at

JKKDARK
August 17th, 2008, 21:17
RPGs, I'm good with these kind of games. Of course it's because RPG is my favorite genre.

kcajblue
August 17th, 2008, 21:17
for me, its more music based games.
and rpgs that i really get into.

not so much fighting games and sports games.
dont really like much of them.

some puzzle games im good at.

silverstein101
August 17th, 2008, 21:34
i'm best at rpgs, and love 'em

i totally found baulder's gate dark allience for the ps2 at gamestop the other day, and started playing again

Eviltaco64
August 17th, 2008, 21:38
Fighters, RPGs (only if Im devoted to it), Platformers, FPSes.

masterchief929
August 17th, 2008, 22:36
FPSs, street racing, and some RPGs(modtly FFs

jamotto
August 17th, 2008, 22:42
Space sims and sims in general.

mike_jmg
August 17th, 2008, 22:46
I'm really good at Fighting games, mostly cause I have my brothers to play against with all day

I kind of suck at RPGs since most of the time I miss up Items or other stuff.

Like on Super Mario RPG, I didn't know I could buy armor and weapons so I was beating the enemies with bare hands until I was at the mines and a friend told me.

Playing FFVIII I missed up the first two sumons you have to steal. Things like that

I'm good at Yu-gi-oh but I think there is no genre for that kind of game

alanparker05
August 17th, 2008, 22:49
My problem is i'm a bit of a perfectionist but that's seen me well for racing games because i get obsessed about lowering my lap times and getting the perfect lines i'm not as bad as i used to be because i would spend days on one race trying to get a certain time

JKKDARK
August 17th, 2008, 23:01
Space sims and sims in general.

Dating sims too? Even if most of them are japanese? :)

Nikolaos
August 17th, 2008, 23:39
MMORPG's cuz im half asian :)

ICE
August 17th, 2008, 23:46
Shooters, sports and platformers. Also, I always hated every fighting game but Smash Bros which I am a beast at.

NoQuarter
August 18th, 2008, 00:16
Tekken.

jamotto
August 18th, 2008, 00:36
Dating sims too? Even if most of them are japanese? :)

Ha ha, never had a need for a dating sim. :rolleyes:

Steely
August 18th, 2008, 04:12
Sega games. Not a genre, but I'm good at most Sega games for some reason(Sonic, F-Zero GX, Super Monkey Ball).

Uh, rhythm games. Guitar Hero, Rhythm Tengoku, Taiko no Tatsujin, Beatmania, DDR(although not too good since I need some more practice moving my feet :) ).

Pretty good at classic arcade-style space shooters, like Soldier Blade, Galaga, Starforce, etc.

Um, that's all I can think of. I wouldn't say RPGs, since I've never played a challenging RPG. Sure, there are hard battles, but nothing some experience and thinking can't handle. It's basically moving around, talking to people, doing some puzzles, and battles. So yeah, I play and beat them, I wouldn't say I'm GOOD at them.

quzar
August 18th, 2008, 05:24
Games I'm NOT good at
*'modern' platformers (now called action games?) most of the time I get confused by funky cameras and such
*racing games, unless they're exceptionally funky like Zusar Vasar
*1:1 fighters, unless they don't feature insane combos

hack.fool
August 18th, 2008, 09:00
surely Rpg cause it is my favourite and street racing for my professional drive skill ..lol

geise69
August 18th, 2008, 13:00
For me it's shootmup's. I would just call them shooters like they used to be called but now FPS games have taken that genre over.=( Games I'm pretty much a master at are Ikaruga, Radian Silvergun, Lords of Thunder, Gate of Thunder, Musha, Tatsujin/Truxton, Sagaia, Soldier Blade, Super Star Soldier, Final Soldier, Override, Axelay, Space Megaforce/Super Aleste, Thunder Foce III-V, Batsugun, DoDonpachi, Guwange, Dangun Feveron, Darius Gaiden, Gradius series. Well I guess most arcade shooters. 2nd would be the old school beat em up games. I can beat Streets of Rage 2/Bare Knuckes 2 without dying on the hardest setting. I played that game way to much when it first came out.

newb_fo_life
August 18th, 2008, 15:18
Fps's and racing :D

____anders____
August 18th, 2008, 15:26
FPS, RPG (mmorpg too), Racing games and platformers + alot more xD

RPG games are my favourite, strategy games suck :p

gutbub
August 18th, 2008, 15:27
Well I'm a little shocked that I'm the first to mention it.
I am great at RTS.
Maybe you couldn't guess, but it happens to be my favorite genre.
Who would think that my avatar actually means something?

kjetil1991
August 18th, 2008, 18:29
fps and some rpgs

goshogun1
August 18th, 2008, 18:56
I am good at RPGs. I have played and beaten every FF minus XI, Including countless others. They excite my compulsive, "collect em' all" mentality, especially when I have to think.
Also quite an ace at SHMUPS. Dodging thousands of bullets and making it out alive makes me say, "Damn I am pretty good!". :D
I suck at most FPS's though. Pretty pathetic at playing online with COD4, and Resistance. I rock sometimes at Halo 3 tho.

Eyedunno
August 18th, 2008, 19:51
I really hate to say this, but my answer has to be casual games and games where you collect stuff (like Animal Crossing). I have a lot of patience for repetitive tasks in games (which resulted in almost a yearlong addiction to AC:WW :( ).

I wish I could say fighting games (I love almost the entire Street Fighter series, but I can't pull off ticking and can rarely do more than a two-hit combo). :(

____anders____
August 18th, 2008, 23:40
I really hate to say this, but my answer has to be casual games and games where you collect stuff (like Animal Crossing). I have a lot of patience for repetitive tasks in games (which resulted in almost a yearlong addiction to AC:WW :( ).

I wish I could say fighting games (I love almost the entire Street Fighter series, but I can't pull off ticking and can rarely do more than a two-hit combo). :(

just smash all the buttons like i do and hopefully you can do a super combo, or learn one or two really good ones and spam them :p

i like fighting games too but i'm not that good at them..

bloody roar extreme on XboX is really fun, i like games that have a little more sciense fiction and really cool effects in them like BR:E :)

Eyedunno
August 19th, 2008, 05:21
just smash all the buttons like i do and hopefully you can do a super combo, or learn one or two really good ones and spam them :p

i like fighting games too but i'm not that good at them...
Oh no. I'm fine with super combos (unless they're the ones that involve charging or full 360s; those are hard for me to pull off regularly) and other combos that are a consequence of special moves.

What I'm talking about are combos where you artfully use attack time for the different punches and kicks combined with recovery time for your opponent to get in a lot of hits at once, like two standing jabs, a crouching jab, a crouching forward kick, then a fireball, and stuff like that. Hell, in the original Mortal Kombat games, I remember there were players good enough to juggle their opponents in the air with uppercuts.

And ticking is where you get the opponent to block so you can get in close and use a grappling move. Here's an example video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwvVVvJyXHY

Being able to do these things skillfully is to me what makes a good Street Fighter player versus a merely average one.