PDA

View Full Version : Wolfenstein 3D V5.0! Its here! - Perfect Sound, Instant Save/Load & Lots More!!

Zack
August 18th, 2008, 00:17
So after a long time and a lot of work, Wolfenstein 3D V5.0 is finally here! :D

Incase you were wondering what happened to v4.9, well it was only released to beta tester Da1writer, and thus I skipped a public version and just went to 5.0.

I have made a hell of a lot of changes, fixes and other stuff to this version. I would also like to say a huge thanks to Chilly Willy Aka JF for all his help on the version too. Without him the sound and music especially wouldn't be like it is today.

Sound and Music are now both perfect. Just saying that is like Music to my ears (pun intended). Saving and loading is also now instant, and actually works. No more save corrupted messages Thanks Chilly Willy and WolfGL

Crashing bugs are now gone, I myself worked really hard on these and am pretty confident they are gone forever

TV out is pretty cool too

So enough blabbering here is the changelog :

- Added Fullscreen at last. Now fills the screen properly. (Zack)
- Fully fixed the sound & Increased Volume. (Chilly Willy)
- Added Tv out (Chilly Willy's New SDL Lib)
- Fixed menu dialogue box corruption bug (Zack)
- Improved menu control system - X = Confirm, O = Cancel/Back (Zack)
- Improved menu dialogue box text - Now easier to follow (Zack)
- Fixed bug that made a certain version of the wolf3d data files crash upon level 3 of wolf3d (Zack)
- Enabled pause feature (Zack)
- Improved cheat code input - now easier to do cheats (Zack)
- Fixed cheat activation sounds not playing (Zack)
- Wolf3D Full Version Now uses 1 eboot for both cd and floppy files - (Floppy Files Require you to apply a once off patch) (Zack)
- Made graphics buffer non-cacheable to avoid cache flooding (improves speed and FPS). (Chilly Willy)
- Save and Load gamestate taken from WolfGL ; modified to fix checksum problem.
- Control Cleanup (By Chilly Willy) Mapping by (Zack & Chilly Willy).
- Added Option to change Cpu speed. O + Start toggles between 180mhz, 222mhz and 333mhz. (Chilly Willy).
- Fixed bug in gameloader where it would pick the wrong game sometimes. (Zack).
- Source code cleanup (can be cleaned more however) (Zack).
- Other various fixes (Zack).

So I really hope you all enjoy the new and final release that I Zack will be making of Wolf3D. I am delighted that It turned out to be as amazing as I wanted v5.0 to be, so you can now finally enjoy all versions of Wolf3D how they were meant to be played.

Enjoy! & Stay tuned for my next port. I may give you a clue as to what it is later :D

Note : If you use Wolf 3d Floppy version files, please use the patch below before you run the game or it wont work. Just copy and replace the files in the patch folder with the ones you have already.

ONLY DO THIS IF YOU USE THE FLOPPY VERSION FILES OF WOLF3D FULL VERSION. IT IS NOT NEEDED FOR ANY OTHER VERSION.

Screenshot :

http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk437/Zackpspcoder/screen1-2.jpg

Download and give feedback via comments

inlovewithi
August 18th, 2008, 01:00
I have this for the 3DO it certainly looks different on that system. It's more powerful than the Supuer Nintendo, but less powerful than the Playstation, and it looked different

HardHat
August 18th, 2008, 01:10
Finally, the Wolf3D that the PSP was always meant to have.

elliott_nally
August 18th, 2008, 01:12
Looks awesome! Much better then 4.8 that's for sure!

Here are my only concerns:
The Gold Cross Treasures fail to produce any sound. (both on Wolf3D and Spear of destiny)
I was able to crash the entire PSP (had to hard reset it), on the first level of spear of destiny right in front of the elevator just by pressing left then right on the joystick. (tried but can't reproduce crash, must of been a really rare 1 time thing or something)

Also the music in the levels seems a tad bit to fast for me. D=

Other then that I must say it's amazing, I really wish you wouldent stop working on it though. You are doing such a great job with every release! Can't wait to see your next port!

jamotto
August 18th, 2008, 01:13
Great job Zack! Looking forward to your next project. :)

Zack
August 18th, 2008, 01:16

The Gold Cross Treasures fail to produce any sound. (both on Wolf3D and Spear of destiny)
I was able to crash the entire PSP (had to hard reset it), on the first level of spear of destiny right in front of the elevator just by pressing left then right on the joystick. (tried but can't reproduce crash, must of been a really rare 1 time thing or something)

Other then that I must say it's amazing, I really wish you wouldent stop working on it though. You are doing such a great job with every release! Can't wait to see your next port!

Hi, Thanks.

Music definitely isn't too fast. We tested. It's just your used to hearing it being played too slow ;)

Safari Al
August 18th, 2008, 01:25
Very great work. I'm still amazed how long you've stayed with this. It's really great how far this has come ;)

Buddy4point0
August 18th, 2008, 02:10
Awesome man.
Still can't try it, but you're certainly working hard.

da1writer
August 18th, 2008, 03:27
Finally, the Wolf3D that the PSP was always meant to have.

And we still give you props for your port in the readme ;)! Yeah, I can speak for Zack and say that this was something we wanted the psp community to have for a long time. Wolfenstein 3D, finally in it's full glory, the best wolfenstein port I can think of on any handheld! We tried our hardest to fix everything we could and make it as perfect as possible for everyone to enjoy. So even though this project comes to a close but the fun for the rest of y'all have just started with Wolfenstein 3D on PSP! Hope you all enjoy Wolfenstein and as Hardhat has mentioned, the way it always was meant to be :)! Hope to see everyone later when Zack and I (mostly Zack) start the next project, laterz :cool:!

JLF65
August 18th, 2008, 04:29

Actually, they do make a sound, but it's quiet and very low pitched. It might be hard to hear on the built in speakers, especially if you are playing the music. The sound is clear on good speakers/headphones.

If you find a way to reproduce it, be sure to report it.

As Zack said, that's from listening to it at the wrong pace for so long. :D

da1writer
August 18th, 2008, 05:51
Thans again for your help Chilly Willy, now that this project is finished, Zack and I can move unto our next one. I can't say what it is right now but I believe everyone is going to be surprised, I promise ;)!

tinman
August 18th, 2008, 06:29
Great job on the port. I like the TV-out option, more new homebrew should include TV-out. I also like the options for game versions.

pimpmaul69
August 18th, 2008, 07:13
great job. i love it

azul88
August 18th, 2008, 07:25
Thanks so much to all the people working on it! Really looking forward to check it out tonight! :)

Domovoy12
August 18th, 2008, 09:31
big gratitude to Zack from Russia! These games was very popular, when 386 computers was super advanced :) . So it is a big present - this port with good playability. Thanks!

from Russia with love
:D

Fredd543
August 18th, 2008, 11:27
Congratulations for your work, Zack (and also ChilliWilly & da1writer).
Looks good, sounds good, plays good - nothing more to say !
Good luck for your new project.

Greetings from germany,
Fredd543

Sharpy
August 18th, 2008, 11:46
This is absolutely brilliant, thanks to all who worked on it.

bah
August 18th, 2008, 11:53
Awesome release.

Thats some very nice work Zack and Co. :)

HymnsomniaK
August 18th, 2008, 12:31
I love it!!! Many thanks to all who worked on this. Great work!

soulburn
August 18th, 2008, 12:46
Many thanks!
I posted it on another forum, but maybe this one is visited more often, I noticed few thigs:

- how to change controls? It seems that readme file says nothing about that. In-game menu says: no options avalible
- how to change savgame name? pressing X gives me "y" and nothing more
- sometimes dificulty level optios are grayed-out, i can choose first, or first and last dificulty (in spear of destiny, shareware and full), I don't remeber happening it in pc version

Zack
August 18th, 2008, 14:13
Many thanks!
I posted it on another forum, but maybe this one is visited more often, I noticed few thigs:

- how to change controls? It seems that readme file says nothing about that. In-game menu says: no options avalible
- how to change savgame name? pressing X gives me "y" and nothing more
- sometimes dificulty level optios are grayed-out, i can choose first, or first and last dificulty (in spear of destiny, shareware and full), I don't remeber happening it in pc version

I also replied to you at that other forum but I will repeat it again here to save someone else asking ;)

Controls : Can't be changed via the menu i am afraid. Someone would need to write a psp specific input handler for it.

Savegame name : Someone could add an osk to wolf to change the name, i just didn't think it justified the time taken to do so. Are you really going to have more than one save per game? I don't think so at least.

Difficulty : Yeah that's a weird random bug that i only discovered after releasing. It only happens randomly. Next time you start the game it should allow you to select them as usual.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for all the nice comments. There is a possibility of a 5.1 release. There is that bug mentioned above that i would like to fix, and maybe add those status messages that some member mentioned before. I will think about making it. Just want to wait a bit for any more bug reports before deciding.

soulburn
August 18th, 2008, 14:23
From readme:
- Configurable Controls and mappings (Zack & Chilly Willy)

so, how can I configure it? nothing else in readme about that. how to switch between digital and analog movement?

- Dpad is now default for movement, to change to analog see below

see where? default mapping is described, but nothing more. is something missing in readme?

Zack
August 18th, 2008, 14:33
From readme:
- Configurable Controls and mappings (Zack & Chilly Willy)

so, how can I configure it? nothing else in readme about that. how to switch between digital and analog movement?

- Dpad is now default for movement, to change to analog see below

see where? default mapping is described, but nothing more. is something missing in readme?

Sorry both those statements are incorrect.

The guy that does the readme files (da1writer) was in a big rush last night and obviously forgot to remove those parts before he had to go.

So it is as I said above at the moment.

da1writer
August 18th, 2008, 14:39
Sorry both those statements are incorrect.

The guy that does the readme files (da1writer) was in a big rush last night and obviously forgot to remove those parts before he had to go.

So it is as I said above at the moment.

Whoops, sorry about that Zack and Souldburn. I think the controls are the best as they can be IMO. Analog runs, digital walks, your choice in what to use.

soulburn
August 18th, 2008, 16:28
ok, everything is clear now :) however, if version 5.1 will be comming, an option to decerse/incarse analog sensetivity would be useful, it's a litlle bit to fast for me now.

cmfCrazyEyes
August 18th, 2008, 18:32
ok, everything is clear now :) however, if version 5.1 will be comming, an option to decerse/incarse analog sensetivity would be useful, it's a litlle bit to fast for me now.

Joysens already does that.:D
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=127582&highlight=Joysens

Freakin sweet Zack, thx:cool::thumbup:

JLF65
August 18th, 2008, 18:34
The stick is the mouse - unless you are holding O, then it's cheats. It is analog - if you press the stick a little, it goes slower, and if you press it all the way over it goes faster. Maybe a little too fast for folks... probably needs to be scaled slower. There is a run button (SQUARE) for folks who want to move faster with the DPad.

I've never seen the bug where the difficulty levels are grayed out... not once in several days. Guess you're just lucky. :D

I tried to get Zack to put in an OSK, but noooooooo. :) Until there is one, you have to be satisified with using things like the weapon selector buttons to give you "1" to "4" to use in the savegame tags as identifiers.

EDIT: Actually, the weapon selectors are no longer available for use in the tags since Zack convinced me to make O a cancel button in the menu. So there's really almost nothing to use in tags right now. Oh well.

Also, there's an error in the control listings in the readme...
START = Menu (Esc)
O + START = cycle CPU speed between 133, 180, 222, 266, 300, and 333 MHz.
SELECT = Enter
O + SELECT = Backspace

NOCHUCK
August 19th, 2008, 06:22
This is a great homebrew. Thank you so much for your time investment to make my(and many others) lunch break alot better tommorow. I've been waiting for the sound/save game fix. Once again thanks this is seriously awsome.

AshTR
August 19th, 2008, 08:01
Hmm, I have a quick question, Zack.

Are you testing your releases on both a Slim and Fat PSP? Or just one of them?

EDIT: Also, I'm having issues with SoD Full in that the difficulty screen is messed up like the poster before me. It only allows me to select the first difficulty. I'm going to try getting rid of the Wolf_3D folder though and just putting the game on new to see if that'll fix it too.

EDIT 2: It seems doing that fixed Wolf3d Full at least. The only issues I see left is that item pickup has no sound and the music is indeed too fast. (I can provide a clear example of the PC audio and PSP audio if you'd like a comparison that clearly shows.)

Note: I'm using a PSP Fat. The sound could all be completely fine on Slims for all I know.

Zack
August 19th, 2008, 09:39
Hmm, I have a quick question, Zack.

Are you testing your releases on both a Slim and Fat PSP? Or just one of them?

EDIT: Also, I'm having issues with SoD Full in that the difficulty screen is messed up like the poster before me. It only allows me to select the first difficulty. I'm going to try getting rid of the Wolf_3D folder though and just putting the game on new to see if that'll fix it too.

EDIT 2: It seems doing that fixed Wolf3d Full at least. The only issues I see left is that item pickup has no sound and the music is indeed too fast. (I can provide a clear example of the PC audio and PSP audio if you'd like a comparison that clearly shows.)

Note: I'm using a PSP Fat. The sound could all be completely fine on Slims for all I know.

Hey ashtr.

The bug regarding difficulty being grayed out is random, and unrelated to what psp your using. No need to do what you did above. Just go back to the xmb and boot the game again, and it should be fine. I will fix this in v5.1.

As for the audio we are pretty sure that it IS being played at the right tempo. Try the second level on Wolf3D full. It is slower than the first tempo wise.

Provide the sample anyway. If your playing Wolf3D Via Dosbox that could be why the sound is slower. Doxbox could be using a unfixed fmopl generator. Who knows :p

bah
August 19th, 2008, 10:50
The game runs fine if you copy just the folder you need to PSP\GAME, it causes issues with saving however.
It also wont run from game352, only game.

Very minor things, but is there any chance of using relative rather than static paths if there is to be another release? :P

The saving even mostly works when playing straight from the GAME\Wolf_3D(F) folder (to skip the menu), but when loading saves it gives the 'the save file is, shal we say, "corrupted"... message'. Loads fine to the correct place, weapons are back to default however.

Zack
August 19th, 2008, 11:01
The game runs fine if you copy just the folder you need to PSP\GAME, it causes issues with saving however.
It also wont run from game352, only game.

Very minor things, but is there any chance of using relative rather than static paths if there is to be another release? :P

The saving even mostly works when playing straight from the GAME\Wolf_3D(F) folder (to skip the menu), but when loading saves it gives the 'the save file is, shal we say, "corrupted"... message'. Loads fine to the correct place, weapons are back to default however.

Hmm... Does that definitely happen in this new version? It shouldn't

Delete your old save file (from previous release of Wolf) and try again.

That definitely should not happen.

bah
August 19th, 2008, 11:30
I deleted the whole wolf dir from psp before using the new version at all.

Worked great, so I tried just using the wolf_3d(F) folder in \GAME and renamed it wolf_3d, got that save issue.

Renamed it back to wolf_3d(F), copied the rest of the folders back to GAME and put wolf_3d(F) in its right place, deleted the save files.

Saving works great again.

EDIT:
Fresh copy works fine, apologies for the false alarm.

No idea what changed, perhaps saving with the menu, then loading it without the menu lead to games loaded from that save also being corrupt.
I created a 2nd save slot and it was also giving the loading error.

All running beautifully once again now, thanks again for all the work. :)

Zack
August 19th, 2008, 11:43
I deleted the whole wolf dir from psp before using the new version at all.

Worked great, so I tried just using the wolf_3d(F) folder in \GAME and renamed it wolf_3d, got that save issue.

Renamed it back to wolf_3d(F), copied the rest of the folders back to GAME and put wolf_3d(F) in its right place, deleted the save files.

Saving works great again.

EDIT:
Fresh copy works fine, apologies for the false alarm.

No idea what changed, perhaps saving with the menu, then loading it without the menu lead to games loaded from that save also being corrupt.
I created a 2nd save slot and it was also giving the loading error.

All running beautifully once again now, thanks again for all the work. :)

Yep should have mentioned that. If you use the gameloader Do not rename the folders!

If you don't use the gameloader re-naming shouldn't be an issue.

kurikai
August 19th, 2008, 11:53
I have never been able to get any Wolf3d versions to work on my psp.
always screws up at the same place.

The game menu loads (where I can choose spear or plain wolf3d)
if I choose any of them then the memory stick light flashes for about 2 seconds and then my psp freezes with a blank screen

Mine is a japanese psp2000, cfw 4.01 m33-2, 4 gig sandisk memory stick.
Faking the regions doesn't work same with disabling any plugins.

The game is placed in /PSP/GAME

Zack
August 19th, 2008, 12:10
I have never been able to get any Wolf3d versions to work on my psp.
always screws up at the same place.

The game menu loads (where I can choose spear or plain wolf3d)
if I choose any of them then the memory stick light flashes for about 2 seconds and then my psp freezes with a blank screen

Mine is a japanese psp2000, cfw 4.01 m33-2, 4 gig sandisk memory stick.
Faking the regions doesn't work same with disabling any plugins.

The game is placed in /PSP/GAME

Your wolf 3d data files are corrupt or missing. Try another set of data files.

I am not accusing you I am just saying this to everyone : Can people please read the readme files included with the game before posting "it doesn't work"

it does work, and if it doesn't your doing something wrong.

Read the readmes and you won't have any problems. I am sorry if that sounded abrupt or rude, it just gets tiresome seeing people post that "it doesn't work" when it does.

People posting that could also put others off trying it, which is equally as annoying since it is a false statement.

Again that all wasn't aimed at just you, it was aimed at everyone. Read before you post please people.

If you have infact read the readme and are still having problems, please do post and I will help you get it running.

da1writer
August 19th, 2008, 17:58
Hey kurikai, I'll help you out in a little bit. To Zack, I'll probably be getting off work early today, so I can't wait to talk with ya about 5.1! You got me real excited, cya later tonight and your last pm, I forgive ya ;)!

Update: kurikai, check you PM box here in this forum. Zack, I'm definitely getting off early due to no work is happening at all today due to Anchorage problems :(! Talk to you shortly. Oh and Thanks bah, I'll put that save issue in my next readme release.

JLF65
August 19th, 2008, 18:34
The only issues I see left is that item pickup has no sound and the music is indeed too fast. (I can provide a clear example of the PC audio and PSP audio if you'd like a comparison that clearly shows.)

There is no difference in sound between the Phat and Slim. As I mentioned to someone else, the sound of picking up certain things (most notably ammo clips and crosses) are very low pitch and quiet. You won't hear them well on the built-in speakers because they can't handle low pitched sounds well. They may be drown out completely by the music. Try turning off the music and/or using headphones/external speakers.

If some could provide a link to something demonstarting what the real speed of music is, it would make it easier to fix (if needed). That would be like a video or audio recording of a real PC playing W3D under actual DOS, not an emulator.

EDIT: One other reason certain sound might be missing (if indeed they really are) - there are three sources of noise in Wolf3D: Music, Sound Effects, and Digitized Sounds. Music is played through the FM synthesizer. Sound Effects are ALSO played through the FM synthesizer. Digitized Sounds are played through the DMA DAC. All three are independently enabled/disabled in the Sound Menu. Most of the sounds of picking up items are NOT digitized sounds - they are Sound Effects. So if you turn off Music and Sound Effects (because some people don't like playing FPSs with music), keeping only Digitized Sounds, you will not hear certain sounds - notably picking up items.

da1writer
August 19th, 2008, 19:40
There is no difference in sound between the Phat and Slim. As I mentioned to someone else, the sound of picking up certain things (most notably ammo clips and crosses) are very low pitch and quiet. You won't hear them well on the built-in speakers because they can't handle low pitched sounds well. They may be drown out completely by the music. Try turning off the music and/or using headphones/external speakers.

If some could provide a link to something demonstarting what the real speed of music is, it would make it easier to fix (if needed). That would be like a video or audio recording of a real PC playing W3D under actual DOS, not an emulator.

EDIT: One other reason certain sound might be missing (if indeed they really are) - there are three sources of noise in Wolf3D: Music, Sound Effects, and Digitized Sounds. Music is played through the FM synthesizer. Sound Effects are ALSO played through the FM synthesizer. Digitized Sounds are played through the DMA DAC. All three are independently enabled/disabled in the Sound Menu. Most of the sounds of picking up items are NOT digitized sounds - they are Sound Effects. So if you turn off Music and Sound Effects (because some people don't like playing FPSs with music), keeping only Digitized Sounds, you will not hear certain sounds - notably picking up items.

Hey Chilly Willy, most people are right about the speedy tempo of the music. I think it's fine but if you want to try to figure out the right tempo, play Wolfenstein on Dosbox. That will give you the right estimimate. It does look like we do plan on releasing a version 5.1, so I guess it could be fixed...

JLF65
August 19th, 2008, 20:16
Hey Chilly Willy, most people are right about the speedy tempo of the music. I think it's fine but if you want to try to figure out the right tempo, play Wolfenstein on Dosbox. That will give you the right estimimate. It does look like we do plan on releasing a version 5.1, so I guess it could be fixed...

Err... according to the ModdingWiki, the IMF speed of Wolf3D is 700 Hz. The code currently processes to music as four chunks of 64 samples at 44100 Hz. So the speed is 44100/64 = 689 Hz, so if anything, it's SLOW, not fast. At 1.5% slower than nominal, you shouldn't be able to tell the tempo is off. I'd have to check how DOSBOX emulates the OPL, but it could be off, and people are used to hearing it being played off.

EDIT: I checked to original source code from id... they set the Timer 0 int rate to 700 Hz. So that pretty much settles that question.

anteopimp
August 19th, 2008, 20:27
amazing port :D, how else can this version get any better??

Zack
August 19th, 2008, 22:32
Would anyone be interested in the suggestion made by a member (sorry I forget your name) for status messages to be printed on screen?

I.e. when you pick up a weapon, treasure etc it would tell you at say the top left...

Aside from that any other new features you would like to see in 5.1?

I am going to make the gameloader non static in the next release... So you can put it in whatever folder you want... with a possibility of whatever filename you want for the subfolders too...

Please post if you have any suggestions, they may or may not be in v5.1 which i hope will actually be the final release lol :p

aetherh4cker
August 20th, 2008, 02:28
I am going to make the gameloader non static in the next release... So you can put it in whatever folder you want...

This would be a nice thing for me, as I prefer to keep my GAME folder in the 1.50 kernel.

I have a quick question about getting SOD 2 & 3 working. Which exact files are required? My disc doesn't seem to have as many files as it did for SOD 1 or the original game.

Here is the exact list of files on my CD:

1.CMF
10.CMF
11.CMF
12.CMF
13.CMF
14.CMF
15.CMF
16.CMF
2.CMF
3.CMF
4.CMF
5.CMF
6.CMF
7.CMF
8.CMF
9.CMF
ADVANCED.PCX
AUDIOHED.SOD
AUDIOT.SOD
BLOOD.VOC
CREATE.PCX
CREDITS.PCX
DEVIL.VOC
DOG.VOC
GAMEGEN.EXE
GAMEMAPS.SD2
GAMEMAPS.SD3
GAMEMAPS.SOD
INSTALL.EXE
INTRO.PCX
MACHINE.VOC
MAIN.PCX
MAPHEAD.SD1
MAPHEAD.SD2
MAPHEAD.SD3
MAPHEAD.SOD
SCREAM.VOC
SPEAR.EXE
VGADICT.SOD
VGAGRAPH.SOD
VGAHEAD.SOD
VSWAP.SD2
VSWAP.SD3
VSWAP.SOD

da1writer
August 20th, 2008, 03:56
This would be a nice thing for me, as I prefer to keep my GAME folder in the 1.50 kernel.

I have a quick question about getting SOD 2 & 3 working. Which exact files are required? My disc doesn't seem to have as many files as it did for SOD 1 or the original game.

Here is the exact list of files on my CD:

1.CMF
10.CMF
11.CMF
12.CMF
13.CMF
14.CMF
15.CMF
16.CMF
2.CMF
3.CMF
4.CMF
5.CMF
6.CMF
7.CMF
8.CMF
9.CMF
ADVANCED.PCX
AUDIOHED.SOD
AUDIOT.SOD
BLOOD.VOC
CREATE.PCX
CREDITS.PCX
DEVIL.VOC
DOG.VOC
GAMEGEN.EXE
GAMEMAPS.SD2
GAMEMAPS.SD3
GAMEMAPS.SOD
INSTALL.EXE
INTRO.PCX
MACHINE.VOC
MAIN.PCX
MAPHEAD.SD1
MAPHEAD.SD2
MAPHEAD.SD3
MAPHEAD.SOD
SCREAM.VOC
SPEAR.EXE
VGADICT.SOD
VGAGRAPH.SOD
VGAHEAD.SOD
VSWAP.SD2
VSWAP.SD3
VSWAP.SOD

With this new release, your download should include the readme I wrote. In that readme, I mention how to install it, 6 steps. Now to give you your answer though, I'll merely quote what was wrote (I made a ryhme!)

3. Copy these files* from your disk or CD-
AUDIOHED.WL6
AUDIOT.WL6
GAMEMAPS.WL6
MAPHEAD.WL6
VGADICT.WL6
VGAGRAPH.WL6
VGAHEAD.WL6
VSWAP.WL6

*Note- Same goes for Spear of Destiny Files (.SOD). Also, Make sure you’re using the original files from SOD and/or Wolfenstein 3D. Other files such as modified ones or ones from pspdoom probably won’t work.

Also in the Readme, mentioned in the FAQS portion:

If all fails, please contact da1writer by sending him a PM on the Dcemu forums, he’s on more than me.

aetherh4cker
August 20th, 2008, 05:26
I read the readme quite closely, and it did very well in helping me get the original Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny working great. It showed I needed 8 files, and I had those 8 on my disc.

I listed the files in my cd for SOD 2 & 3 as an attempt to point out that there doesn't exist 8 .SD2 or .SD3 files. I only have three .SD2 and three .SD3 files.

So, do I only need those 3 files? Or do I need 8? This disc is pretty old, but I remember it working fine... so it should have everything I need.

Thanks for any help... and sorry if my question is 'noobish'.

JLF65
August 20th, 2008, 06:37
The general answer is you need every file except for user configs, savegames, or PC executables. Copy all others to the directory.

da1writer
August 20th, 2008, 08:45
I read the readme quite closely, and it did very well in helping me get the original Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny working great. It showed I needed 8 files, and I had those 8 on my disc.

I listed the files in my cd for SOD 2 & 3 as an attempt to point out that there doesn't exist 8 .SD2 or .SD3 files. I only have three .SD2 and three .SD3 files.

So, do I only need those 3 files? Or do I need 8? This disc is pretty old, but I remember it working fine... so it should have everything I need.

Thanks for any help... and sorry if my question is 'noobish'.

Check your PM aetherh4cker, sorry about replying so late.

soulburn
August 20th, 2008, 12:39
I had similar problem with 'lost episodes' of sod. I have cd version, with all three episodes in one dir. All you have to do, is to rename proper extensions to *.SOD. In attachment I added a simple script to split files into separate dirs. Just rename extansion to *.bat and run it in sod folder.

elliott_nally
August 20th, 2008, 13:16
Would anyone be interested in the suggestion made by a member (sorry I forget your name) for status messages to be printed on screen?

I.e. when you pick up a weapon, treasure etc it would tell you at say the top left...

I vote yes! :cool: As well as the in game Map idea I also mentioned in that thread. Other then those 2 things I find it perfect! Seriously very well done.

Oh here are the screenshots again:

http://i35.tinypic.com/28i2t15.png

http://i33.tinypic.com/259lws5.png

and the map one again:

http://i36.tinypic.com/2ltitsy.png

Good Luck!

- Cobra

Fredd543
August 20th, 2008, 13:34
Hello Zack, You asked what feature people might like to see in 5.1, so i have a suggestion: i think some people would like to see an (auto)map feature.
I saw a Wolfenstein Port for PC some time ago (don't remember it's name), which has an interesting feature: Secrets are marked as yellow parts of the Walls, which are normally black, so finding them is not that difficult as in the normal game.

Greetings from germany,
Fredd543

Zack
August 20th, 2008, 15:40
I vote yes! :cool: As well as the in game Map idea I also mentioned in that thread. Other then those 2 things I find it perfect! Seriously very well done.

and the map one again:

Good Luck!

- Cobra

Hello Zack, You asked what feature people might like to see in 5.1, so i have a suggestion: i think some people would like to see an (auto)map feature.
I saw a Wolfenstein Port for PC some time ago (don't remember it's name), which has an interesting feature: Secrets are marked as yellow parts of the Walls, which are normally black, so finding them is not that difficult as in the normal game.

Greetings from germany,
Fredd543

I will see what i can do guys :)

aetherh4cker
August 20th, 2008, 18:09
I had similar problem with 'lost episodes' of sod. I have cd version, with all three episodes in one dir. All you have to do, is to rename proper extensions to *.SOD. In attachment I added a simple script to split files into separate dirs. Just rename extansion to *.bat and run it in sod folder.

Thanks a ton. That seems to be exactly what I need.

and the map one again:

Good Luck!

- Cobra

Zack, you should totally add this stuff. However, I think you should leave the text optional... some people might want to play it as close to the original as they can.

Edit: Also, I have one more change I think would look nice. This is only a pack of six games, so having three screens to scroll through seems a bit redundant. Maybe try changing the menu to just be on one screen? A 2r x 3c layout would be cool, or maybe even a 1r x 6c layout.

Zack
August 20th, 2008, 18:17
This is only a pack of six games, so having three screens to scroll through seems a bit redundant. Maybe try changing the menu to just be on one screen? A 2r x 3c layout would be cool, or maybe even a 1r x 6c layout.

I agree. However I suck at graphics.

1 Page with all 6 games to select was my idea , i just couldn't make a good enough image to support it.

Please someone do so and post it here :thumbup:

Fredd543
August 20th, 2008, 19:19
Hello again, i've done an image in 3x2 layout. It's just an idea...
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q31/Fredd543/Test_3.png
Perhaps someone can make a nicer one ?

Greetings from germany,
Fredd543

ricky006
August 20th, 2008, 19:59
Zack , a job well done , A big thanx to u and ur team , about the nxt project , i hope 4 u to finish chilly's duke nukem port or even go 1 better and do shadow warrior, also did u know that they are doing a duke nukem port for xbox live . any way its all good cheers :)

cmfCrazyEyes
August 20th, 2008, 20:13
..... I saw a Wolfenstein Port for PC some time ago (don't remember it's name), which has an interesting feature: Secrets are marked as yellow parts of the Walls, which are normally black, so finding them is not that difficult as in the normal game.

I really like that Idea, I've never been able to find all the secret places. That would be nice.:thumbup::D

madtest
August 21st, 2008, 09:19
saving/loading is fine until you finish the first level of episode one, after that saving gets corrupt
anyone know how to fix this ?
ive disabled all plugins, tried two different versions of wolf cd/floppy and used the floppy patch.

4.01 m33-2 phat

ehh actually it happens with spear of destiny too.. first level is fine but then once you get to the second level saving gets corrupted

bah
August 21st, 2008, 12:21
I can confirm the issue madtest has mentioned.

Saved from ep 1 level 1, played a bit more, loaded fine.

Played to level 2 of episode 1 and saved, played a bit more and loaded the save. Got the corrupted message, loaded but back to default weapons.

Started a new game and saved in ep 1 level 1, played a bit more, tried to load first level save, corrupt again.

I'm going to start using the loader menu and its file structure again to see if it happens under that.

Strange it works for level 1 but after that corrupts.

3.52M33-4

EDIT: Exact same issue with the menu, freshly copied over with no saves.

Using the patched floppy version if that means anything.

Roscharch
August 21st, 2008, 12:28
First, i have recently arrived DCEMU searching this threads about Wolfenstein. I discover the existence of this great port in psp.scenebeta.com, an spanish page. So, hello everebody, you are doing a great job. And many thanks to Zack for allows participate.

At the fisrt time i play this game (80's) i just saw that there was the beginning of a new era in videogames. I love this game :-)

This port is great. It works fine, despite a few bugs as the one mentioned by madtest. This one happens to me :-(. I hope you fix it.

And now i want to contribute. I have designed an image for the menu.

http://i36.tinypic.com/2afa5h5.png

The image menu and the cursor:
http://www.megaupload.com/es/?d=9ISPIAIF

I have also suggest the different places where locate the cursor. Sorry, i don't know a bit about programming psp so i don't know how to index the cursor on the screen, this has to be done by Zack:
http://www.megaupload.com/es/?d=Y1SV80JH

I hope you like it

Sorry, excuse my poor english.

Fredd543
August 21st, 2008, 17:17
I tried to reproduce the save-game-problem mentioned by madtest & bah.
They're right, saving in the first level works fine.
Saving after first level (tried till level 4) results in corrupted save-file (save-coordinates OK - weapons, points & lives are reset).

If i, after that, start a new game from level 1 & save there, this save-file is also corrupted.

This is reproduceable in:
Wolfenstein 3D (CD Version)
Wolfenstein 3D (Patched Floppy Version)
Spear of Destiny
SOD Level Pack 2
SOD Level Pack 3

I didn't try in the Shareware-Episodes but should be the same.

Hope this will help a little,
Greetings from germany,
Fredd543

Zack
August 21st, 2008, 22:36
First, i have recently arrived DCEMU searching this threads about Wolfenstein. I discover the existence of this great port in psp.scenebeta.com, an spanish page. So, hello everebody, you are doing a great job. And many thanks to Zack for allows participate.

At the fisrt time i play this game (80's) i just saw that there was the beginning of a new era in videogames. I love this game :-)

This port is great. It works fine, despite a few bugs as the one mentioned by madtest. This one happens to me :-(. I hope you fix it.

And now i want to contribute. I have designed an image for the menu.

http://i36.tinypic.com/2afa5h5.png

The image menu and the cursor:
http://www.megaupload.com/es/?d=9ISPIAIF

I have also suggest the different places where locate the cursor. Sorry, i don't know a bit about programming psp so i don't know how to index the cursor on the screen, this has to be done by Zack:
http://www.megaupload.com/es/?d=Y1SV80JH

I hope you like it

Sorry, excuse my poor english.

Hi. Looks great! Nice idea. I will use this (or if you change the design i will use that too) in v5.1 :D

I tried to reproduce the save-game-problem mentioned by madtest & bah.
They're right, saving in the first level works fine.
Saving after first level (tried till level 4) results in corrupted save-file (save-coordinates OK - weapons, points & lives are reset).

If i, after that, start a new game from level 1 & save there, this save-file is also corrupted.

This is reproduceable in:
Wolfenstein 3D (CD Version)
Wolfenstein 3D (Patched Floppy Version)
Spear of Destiny
SOD Level Pack 2
SOD Level Pack 3

I didn't try in the Shareware-Episodes but should be the same.

Hope this will help a little,
Greetings from germany,
Fredd543

I will fix this for V5.1 ;)

Keep the suggestions coming everyone :D Reports of new bugs seem to have stopped which is very pleasing :)

JLF65
August 21st, 2008, 23:18
I will fix this for V5.1 ;)

Already fixed... check your email. :D

Zack
August 21st, 2008, 23:34
Already fixed... check your email. :D

Nice :)

No more email fixes you!, I want to fix something too :D

:thumbup:

azul88
August 21st, 2008, 23:44

Aside from that any other new features you would like to see in 5.1?

I am going to make the gameloader non static in the next release... So you can put it in whatever folder you want... with a possibility of whatever filename you want for the subfolders too...

Please post if you have any suggestions, they may or may not be in v5.1 which i hope will actually be the final release lol :p

I'd personally like to play the game as close to the original as possible, so I'd prefer the display messages optional (on/off). (same with the secret doors: marking them is imho pointless, as they aren't secret anymore then)

Just some wishes for the next release:
- fixing the analog knob sensitivity, maybe even config possible by user
- I find the cheats are enabled too easy, I keep on activating them without intention..
- bringing back quicksave and quickload would be lovely (if the few buttons on the PSP leave room for this).

Just some thoughts... And once again, many, many thanks to bring one of my all time favorite games to the PSP!

I know we don't play "game building on order" here, but you asked for the opinion of the fans... This is mine... :)

keep up the great work!

azul

Zack
August 22nd, 2008, 00:00
I'd personally like to play the game as close to the original as possible, so I'd prefer the display messages optional (on/off). (same with the secret doors: marking them is imho pointless, as they aren't secret anymore then)

Just some wishes for the next release:
- fixing the analog knob sensitivity, maybe even config possible by user
- I find the cheats are enabled too easy, I keep on activating them without intention..
- bringing back quicksave and quickload would be lovely (if the few buttons on the PSP leave room for this).

Just some thoughts... And once again, many, many thanks to bring one of my all time favorite games to the PSP!

I know we don't play "game building on order" here, but you asked for the opinion of the fans... This is mine... :)

keep up the great work!

azul

Sure :) Most, if not all will be fixed/added in 5.1 :)

azul

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I guess I am requesting it in this thread anyway so go ahead :p

JLF65
August 22nd, 2008, 00:02
Nice :)

No more email fixes you!, I want to fix something too :D

Well, that was my coding there, so I figured it was my responsibility. ;)

Be sure to check that... make sure it's REALLY working.

Zack
August 22nd, 2008, 00:05

Well, that was my coding there, so I figured it was my responsibility. ;)

Be sure to check that... make sure it's REALLY working.

Heh I guess :)

And sure da1writer will surely test the hell out of it for us all :D

JLF65
August 22nd, 2008, 00:56
Heh I guess :)

And sure da1writer will surely test the hell out of it for us all :D

Give him a bit more than half an hour this time. :D

elliott_nally
August 22nd, 2008, 03:28
I thought I noticed something....

When you die on your PSP Port everything looks normal (Head drops down, like the game pauses, enemy's stop moving etc..)

But! When I die playing it on the PC The screen fades to a transparent red (I am guessing to symbolize blood). *Update* Read "EDITS" under Screenshot below!

Could you add this? =O Since it's actually part of the game.

Example of when it's done fading into red on PC (image reduced to 50% original size):

http://i37.tinypic.com/w1b8sx.png

EDIT: I am not sure if this is just the NewWolf Port doing this or if it's part of the original game, I remember playing this in the olden days and I think I remember it doing the red fading thing as well.

EDIT2: Ok its NewWolf which makes it transparent and fade in, the Original made it Just "fade" in by having several blocks appear to eventually cover the screen to make it a solid Red Color instead of being transparent red. So... It's up to you, old school way or the Transparent NewWolf Way.

- Elliott Nally

da1writer
August 22nd, 2008, 07:09
@ elliott_nally : Good job, I noticed this as well in Dosbox. I'm sure it will be easy to implement. This seems easy right Zack.

@ JLF65: Yeah, I found the same bug like everyone else in the prebuild before everyone in the community got it. Zack did tell me you fixed it so I guessed it was without trying. I'll try to test alot more thoroughly whenever Zack gives me another build. I do take long periods of playing once Zack signs off MSN (like 3- 4 hours) I was only quick once (right before the hours of the 5.0 release) due to me having plans. Maybe this bug was my fault for not retrying it, sorry about that.

@ azul88: Let's go down this list of yours shall we, I'm sure Zack is going to see this and enjoy !
Q1:- fixing the analog knob sensitivity, maybe even config possible by user
A: I too found that I was going too fast that I just stopped using it. Even though I know it is pressure sensitive but now I feel forced to use the digital pad due to it being slow enough for me to enjoy. Maybe Zack could just take his original idea of making the digital and analog being the same. I mean, doesn't the square button run anyway?
Q2: - I find the cheats are enabled too easy, I keep on activating them without intention...
A: Me and Zack originally had the cheats in a way that you had to press 3 buttons in order to activate them. I thought it was great as it gave you a bit of challenge to activate them. Due to certain people.. well person (who we won't mentioned) thought the cheats were "too hard" and wanted it to be easy as pie to activate. I too accidentally activate cheats when I don't even want to. Zack, please look into this and do what YOU believe should be done, it is your project after all.
Q3: - bringing back quicksave and quickload would be lovely.
A: There was a reason it was removed, it created too many problems/ corruptions/ and sometimes would just downright not even work the way it should or at all. We received alot of complaints from people saying this and we chose to just remove it. Maybe Zack might implement it back, who knows. I'll talk to him tomorrow or this weekend about it.

@ Roscharch: I love this new game loader screen! Very clean and pretty much says everything you need to access on one screen alone. I believe Zack has a good idea how to do it, so here's to crossing your fingers eh !

Zack, sorry, Boss is working me to the bone due to him knowing I'll be quitting in three weeks. Hopefully he has a heart and lets me go early tomorrow because I miss our chats. Hope to see you tomorrow but if not I'll try to PM you or post on the thread but I know this weekend is a definite. CYA!

JLF65
August 22nd, 2008, 08:39
It would be easy enough to add another button to the cheats. Instead of O + stick, make it O + <| + stick. Easy... but not so easy as to accidentally enable them. :D

AshTR
August 26th, 2008, 17:41
Alright, I finally got off my lazy butt and made those sound samples.

I couldn't get the original recorded in DOS though because my Win98 laptop's integrated card doesn't like Adlib or Sound Blaster music.

Following samples are:

1. VDMSound Recording - http://ashtrsdownloads.googlepages.com/wolf3d_vdmsound.mp3

2. DOSBox Recording (and the most accurate IMO) - http://ashtrsdownloads.googlepages.com/wolf3d_dosbox.mp3

3. PSP Recording - http://ashtrsdownloads.googlepages.com/wolf3d_psp.mp3

EDIT 2: ---STARTS HERE---
4. Audio/Video Original DOS via Windows 98 Recording -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voOVNg1R1PE
---ENDS HERE---

As you can clearly hear, the PSP's music is way too fast. As are the item pickup sounds. Touch sounds are fine but item pickup ones are broken.

EDIT: I'm also experiencing that save corruption by the way. I tried saving in the menu on level 2 and the bonus level after level 1. Told me both saves were corrupted.

Zack
August 26th, 2008, 19:21
Your right ashtr, mine is way too fast. Thanks for the samples :D

Either JF or I will get it fixed for v5.1 which will be out soon, just haven't had much free time to work on it of late.

AshTR
August 26th, 2008, 19:54

Either JF or I will get it fixed for v5.1 which will be out soon, just haven't had much free time to work on it of late.

Alright. That's good to hear. Thanks for the response.

JLF65
August 26th, 2008, 19:57
Alright, I finally got off my lazy butt and made those sound samples.

I couldn't get the original recorded in DOS though because my Win98 laptop's integrated card doesn't like Adlib or Sound Blaster music.

Following samples are:

1. VDMSound Recording - http://ashtrsdownloads.googlepages.com/wolf3d_vdmsound.mp3

2. DOSBox Recording (and the most accurate IMO) - http://ashtrsdownloads.googlepages.com/wolf3d_dosbox.mp3

3. PSP Recording - http://ashtrsdownloads.googlepages.com/wolf3d_psp.mp3

As you can clearly hear, the PSP's music is way too fast. As are the item pickup sounds. Touch sounds are fine but item pickup ones are broken.

I've got a desktop computer that runs Windows 98 that I'll have a sample for later. But the DOSBox version sounds just like what I remember.

EDIT: I'm also experiencing that save corruption by the way. I tried saving in the menu on level 2 and the bonus level after level 1. Told me both saves were corrupted.

I already proved using the original ID code that we're running SLOW, not fast. You'll have to do better than a comparison against DOSBOX or VDMSound to convince me. Neither handles timing in a manner that can make the music play back at the correct rate.

And the corrupt saves on higher levels has already been fixed... but thanks for the extra verification. :)

AshTR
August 26th, 2008, 19:58
I already proved using the original ID code that we're running SLOW, not fast. You'll have to do better than a comparison against DOSBOX or VDMSound to convince me. Neither handles timing in a manner that can make the music play back at the correct rate.

And the corrupt saves on higher levels has already been fixed... but thanks for the extra verification. :)

How about you read my edited post instead of one from about 2 hours ago? :rolleyes:

JLF65
August 26th, 2008, 20:02

Sorry, but those samples are from emulators. I won't accept anything other than a recording from an actual machine running real DOS to a real AdLib/SB card.

I already showed how we are running 1.5% SLOW, not fast. That's based on the actual code for the game from the creators, not an emulator which may or may not be handling the timing anywhere near correctly. Wofl3D updates the sound in an interrupt handler set for 700 Hz. That's way beyond the timing Windows provides you for applications... which is why I won't accept samples from DOSBOX/VDMSound.

AshTR
August 26th, 2008, 20:05
Sorry, but those samples are from emulators. I won't accept anything other than a recording from an actual machine running real DOS to a real AdLib/SB card.

I already showed how we are running 1.5% SLOW, not fast. That's based on the actual code for the game from the creators, not an emulator which may or may not be handling the timing anywhere near correctly. Wofl3D updates the sound in an interrupt handler set for 700 Hz. That's way beyond the timing Windows provides you for applications... which is why I won't accept samples from DOSBOX/VDMSound.

That video was not an emulator. It was on Windows 98. Windows 98 HAS DOS. NOT AN EMULATION.

EDIT: Do I have to restart in DOS mode to show you the exact same results?

JLF65
August 26th, 2008, 20:08
How about you read my edited post instead of one from about 2 hours ago? :rolleyes:

Sorry, but that's in WINDOWS which won't let you set the timing to the correct rate. It's not real DOS, so it's not acceptable.

AshTR
August 26th, 2008, 20:23
Sorry, but that's in WINDOWS which won't let you set the timing to the correct rate. It's not real DOS, so it's not acceptable.

Oh forget it. You're going to say anything to get your point across. If I even put true DOS on there and show it to you, you'll say it's something else. I give up.

EDIT: One last thing I did find though. http://lazyone.drunkencoders.com/wordpress/

This guy has been trying to make a DS port of Wolf3D. The MP3s in one of his downloads were extracted from the game according to him. They sound just like those samples from above.

JLF65
August 26th, 2008, 20:53
Oh forget it. You're going to say anything to get your point across. If I even put true DOS on there and show it to you, you'll say it's something else. I give up.

I'm a programmer looking at the code... I need something more than "it runs like this in a DOS-box under Windows" or "it runs like this in an emulator in Windows". You say "fix the bug"... and I look at the code and tell you "the only bug there is to fix will make it even faster, not slower".

If I find something else, I'll definitely alter things, but right now, I don't see anything that needs changing.

EDIT: let me go into a little more detail to help clear things up a bit...

Wolf3D has three timing settings for the sound: EXTREME, normal, and slow.

Extreme sets the timer 0 IRQ to 7000Hz. The timer 0 handler stores the current PC speaker effect sample to the PC, increments a counter, and once every ten counts calls the normal handler. This is used when you don't have a SB and still want digital effects. The speaker is used for PWM sound set at the nominal sfx rate (7000 Hz).

Normal sets the timer 0 IRQ to 700Hz. The timer 0 handler updates the music, increments a counter, and once every five counts calls the slow handler.

Slow sets the timer 0 IRQ to 140 Hz. The timer 0 handler updates sound effects. This includes sound effects which are done through the adlib.

Given the above, it seems clear the music is correct. All I can figure is that 700Hz is too much for the underlying timer emulation in DOSBOX... and I KNOW that Windows certainly won't let you mess with the timers inside a dos-box.

Zack
August 26th, 2008, 21:02
I'm a programmer looking at the code... I need something more than "it runs like this in a DOS-box under Windows" or "it runs like this in an emulator in Windows". You say "fix the bug"... and I look at the code and tell you "the only bug there is to fix will make it even faster, not slower".

If I find something else, I'll definitely alter things, but right now, I don't see anything that needs changing.

I agree with what you are saying Chilly, however the whole point of this port (from my point of view) was to recreate the experience that people remembered from playing wolf all those years ago.

True the sound "may" not really be supposed to be played that slow, but if it played that slow back then to 99% of the gamers who remember it then I see it as a goal to re-create it.

You may not agree with me but it's just my opinion. Don't take it as a dig at you, or anything else.

If you don't agree with it and don't plan on changing it that is fine. I have no problems with having a go at doing it if you don't want to.

Email me :)

AshTR
August 26th, 2008, 21:32
Extreme sets the timer 0 IRQ to 7000Hz. The timer 0 handler stores the current PC speaker effect sample to the PC, increments a counter, and once every ten counts calls the normal handler. This is used when you don't have a SB and still want digital effects. The speaker is used for PWM sound set at the nominal sfx rate (7000 Hz).

Normal sets the timer 0 IRQ to 700Hz. The timer 0 handler updates the music, increments a counter, and once every five counts calls the slow handler.

Slow sets the timer 0 IRQ to 140 Hz. The timer 0 handler updates sound effects. This includes sound effects which are done through the adlib.

Given the above, it seems clear the music is correct. All I can figure is that 700Hz is too much for the underlying timer emulation in DOSBOX... and I KNOW that Windows certainly won't let you mess with the timers inside a dos-box.

So are you saying it sets a IRQ 0 timer or that it sets a timer on an IRQ?

JLF65
August 26th, 2008, 22:01
So are you saying it sets a IRQ 0 timer or that it sets a timer on an IRQ?

IRQ 0 is the main PIT timer used on the PC. It's normally set to 18.2 Hz, even in Windows. In DOS, you could take over the timer and set it to whatever you wanted, although you still had to call back the original DOS vector at 18.2 Hz if you wanted DOS to work correctly (some things use the T0 timing). The Wolf3D T0 int handlers do call the original vector at 18.2 Hz.

@Zack - I guess I'll have to agree with you... if most folks want the timing on the music they're used to, I guess it's probably what should be done. Hear that AshTR? You win after all. :D

If you have trouble changing the timing, let me know... I know you wanted to do more on this update. What do you think about having a sound option for the music playback rate? Make it default to "Nostalgic" with "Accurate" as an option? :)

AshTR
August 26th, 2008, 22:20
Well, the only thing left is the item pickup sounds. The best source for how those should sound could easily be the official Wolfenstein 3D port that iD did for GBA. Why would they make it that way if it doesn't sound like the original? :p

Zack
August 26th, 2008, 22:41
@Zack - I guess I'll have to agree with you... if most folks want the timing on the music they're used to,

If you have trouble changing the timing, let me know... I know you wanted to do more on this update. What do you think about having a sound option for the music playback rate? Make it default to "Nostalgic" with "Accurate" as an option? :)

:)

Yeah I will hit you up if I run into any issues buddy :)

I like the idea of the configurable option, will work on that too.

Btw please could you re-email me that save/load fix. I was sifting though my gmail last night and deleted it by misake. (one of those thing you say "damn forgot about that" after doing it :p)

Sorry for the huge amount of delay I am taking between releasing v5.1. It isn't to do with being stuck, or not having time.

You see, I am currently involved in quite a few projects :

1) Wolf 3d.

2) Abe's Amazing adventure.

3) My Own Game (Which will be announced/released when I think it's ready for such a thing)

4) Game with HardHat.

So each day when I manage to find spare time to code I have to battle it out between those 4 choices. Recently #3 has been getting most of that attention, with a tad of #2 and tiny bit of #1.

I am going to give #1 a little lovin' now though :)

JLF65
August 26th, 2008, 22:41
Well, the only thing left is the item pickup sounds. The best source for how those should sound could easily be the official Wolfenstein 3D port that iD did for GBA. Why would they make it that way if it doesn't sound like the original? :p

The problem there is that the item pickup sounds are done via the FM chip on the PC. Such a chip is not part of the GBA, so id would either have to digitize the PC FM sounds (not very likely), or use all-new digitized sounds (much more likely). Maybe we (Zack) could look into a way to substitute digital sounds in place of the FM sound effects. Having all digital sounds other than the music would be better in any case.

Zack
August 26th, 2008, 22:51
The problem there is that the item pickup sounds are done via the FM chip on the PC. Such a chip is not part of the GBA, so id would either have to digitize the PC FM sounds (not very likely), or use all-new digitized sounds (much more likely). Maybe we (Zack) could look into a way to substitute digital sounds in place of the FM sound effects. Having all digital sounds other than the music would be better in any case.

Sounds like a plan ;)

da1writer
August 27th, 2008, 05:04
Damn, this is getting deep, especially when it comes to the sound department. I too think we should go the route that others remember the timing of Wolf's sound was. If they remember it being slow, we should just jump on that effort due to pleasing the community.
Sorry Zack, Boss had me working late. I will be on tomorrow, should be getting off early.
Also, lie to let you know, Thread has made it to 9 pages long with 90 post so far! Great job, you should celebrate that this has been the best version of your port so far, congrats!

brocool
August 27th, 2008, 05:18
Thanks!!.. this is going to be great

elliott_nally
August 27th, 2008, 13:18
I play my wolf3d on WinXP using NewWolf and the sound is slower then what plays on the PSP. It's like how I remembered it back in the good old days. so yeah I vote slowing it back down to how most of us remember it as. Another thing I notice is the pick up treasure sounds are only 1/4 or so as long compared to what I get when using NewWolf or the old school version. (on the PSP they just cut out mid way through or sputter and end)

So all in all I would have to go to the wolf3d_dosbox.mp3 recording that speed is what I vote on, sounds exactly like how I remember it.

@Zack
No Rush, just keep up the good work!

@joe.inom:
Yes I believe we all who have come to this thread know that, glad your banned. =D

AshTR
August 27th, 2008, 16:30
Wait a second...Why couldn't I have just cited one of the other source code Wolf3Ds for music...Their music sounds the same as the DOSBox version.

Also, NewWolf was discontinued and is slightly buggy. I did however find Wolf4SDL which runs cross-platform. Also works with all the file versions. There are screenshots on their site of it running on Dreamcast and GP2X. So you might wanna check that out if you want Wolf3D for other devices that have cruddy ports or just want a native Wolf3D true to the original.

http://www.chaos-software.de.vu/

Zack
August 27th, 2008, 18:28
Wait a second...Why couldn't I have just cited one of the other source code Wolf3Ds for music...Their music sounds the same as the DOSBox version.

Also, NewWolf was discontinued and is slightly buggy. I did however find Wolf4SDL which runs cross-platform. Also works with all the file versions. There are screenshots on their site of it running on Dreamcast and GP2X. So you might wanna check that out if you want Wolf3D for other devices that have cruddy ports or just want a native Wolf3D true to the original.

http://www.chaos-software.de.vu/

I could always make a pc version of my wolf port if people would be interested in having it....

JLF65
August 27th, 2008, 19:39
I could always make a pc version of my wolf port if people would be interested in having it....

Good idea... after it's finished. :) This next update should clear out the remaining issues people have.

AshTR
August 27th, 2008, 21:13
Good idea... after it's finished. :) This next update should clear out the remaining issues people have.

Sounds good to me. Got an ETA or will it just happen when it happens?

ricky006
August 27th, 2008, 23:01
Also wots up with the circle strafe'in , i mean circle as in moving or runnin around the level in a circle, not circle as in the keypad button circle , if u know wot i mean :confused: i mean wen u try to hold the right side step button and move left button at the same time to circle turn, it kind of stutters the movement

elliott_nally
August 28th, 2008, 02:31
I have never encountered any bugs with NewWolf. hmm. Anyway, Can't wait for 5.1 with the slower sound and hopefully, the blood"Idea when you die will be implemented as well. As I mentioned here: http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2148114210&postcount=69

da1writer
August 28th, 2008, 02:47
Don't worry elliott_nally, I've been in talks with Zack about it so he is going to try to implement some (if not all ) the features people have already mentioned.

Zack, ricky006 is right about the strafin, why is it so jittery when trying to circle strafe, is it able to be fixed?
Also, about the PC version... ummmm...
I'll leave my comment when we are able to talk again on MSN (this weekend is a gimme)...

JLF65
August 28th, 2008, 02:52
Also wots up with the circle strafe'in , i mean circle as in moving or runnin around the level in a circle, not circle as in the keypad button circle , if u know wot i mean :confused: i mean wen u try to hold the right side step button and move left button at the same time to circle turn, it kind of stutters the movement

That's because Wolf3D doesn't support circle strafing. You either turn, or you strafe. You can't do both without rewriting the actual player movement code in the game itself. Doom was the first id game to support circle strafing.

However, I wanted it anyway, but without rewriting the player code. So I made the input handling so that if you are either turning or strafing, it's like normal - nice and smooth. If you're trying to do BOTH (circle strafing), it turns on one update, strafes on the next, turns on the next, strafes on the next, etc.

It works, but it's a bit jerky. Sorry, but it wasn't worth the work to do it "right".

da1writer
August 28th, 2008, 05:05
That's because Wolf3D doesn't support circle strafing. You either turn, or you strafe. You can't do both without rewriting the actual player movement code in the game itself. Doom was the first id game to support circle strafing.

However, I wanted it anyway, but without rewriting the player code. So I made the input handling so that if you are either turning or strafing, it's like normal - nice and smooth. If you're trying to do BOTH (circle strafing), it turns on one update, strafes on the next, turns on the next, strafes on the next, etc.

It works, but it's a bit jerky. Sorry, but it wasn't worth the work to do it "right".

I understand, hopefully others will too ;)!

bschran
November 25th, 2008, 09:37
this game looks great although im having a bit of trouble with it. I've read the read-me and tryed a few things including playing the default demo version of wolf3d that comes with your game with no success i would love to pm some one about this however i dont have that right yet... due to the fact i dont often post on message boards. any help at all would be great

Zack
November 25th, 2008, 12:20
this game looks great although im having a bit of trouble with it. I've read the read-me and tryed a few things including playing the default demo version of wolf3d that comes with your game with no success i would love to pm some one about this however i dont have that right yet... due to the fact i dont often post on message boards. any help at all would be great

Hi.

You are using a old version. Thats the problem ;)

Click the link in my sig to download the new version :)