PDA

View Full Version : Proud to Be British ie The Golds Won at The Olympics 2008

wraggster
August 18th, 2008, 20:16
Its times like the last week or so when you see the fantastic guys and girls over in Beijing winning the Gold Medals that have put good old Britain into 3rd Place on the leader board, not bad for a combined population of around 80 million, and best of all the 2 Gold Wiinning Swimmer Rebbecca Adlington is from a few miles away in Mansfield and trains with a Nottingham Club, so from me a big thanks for making GB great again :)

More about the latest wins here --> http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/7568116.stm

WhizzBang
August 19th, 2008, 12:50
I think this is the effect of winning the hosting of 2012. The government are giving a lot more investment into athletics than it previously has so that Britain can hopefully perform well in 2012 as the host nation (as most host nations do) and we are already seeing the results of the extra funding.

I expect 2012 to be good for GB as well, but expect us to return to normal after that as the funding is cut back again.

It just shows how important money is in the whole thing, and that it is a bit of an ego thing that is not really worth spending huge amounts on unless you are hosting it.