PDA

View Full Version : browsing a USB attached device

ed00
November 14th, 2005, 10:27
is there an application that allows you to browse an attached USB hard-drive and copy files from it. I know there are Harddrives which are USB enabled and allow you to push files over to the PSP.

Ultimately I guess I am looking for a USB jukebox program, does any one know of such an application?

bill00000
November 14th, 2005, 12:59
No, the only function that anyone has found at all is transferring data to the mem stick, and you need a device that can read the PSP. It doesn't work the other way around.

ed00
November 14th, 2005, 13:53
ok,

the WiFi jukebox does something similar where it pulls the files across to a MS buffer while playing another file, but from what you say there is no facility to do same via an USB connection.

pitty

Hevyduty
November 14th, 2005, 19:29
Well, Tedzero's Browser allows you to navigate and manipulate files on your PC using an interface on your PSP. But I think that's the closest to what you're asking.

Personally, I think a way to run the PSP in USB host mode (i.e., USB On-The-Go or OTG mode) would be the single biggest breakthrough we could have right now. Well, except for WiFi multiplayer in homebrew.

In host mode, the PSP could access files on any USB storage device, be it a standard card reader, USB hard drive, flashdrive, etc. Now, the one potential problem is that the PSP would have to power the USB device, assuming the device is usually powered by the USB port (like a flashdrive). Obviously, that would not be problem if the device has it's own battery, like an MP3 player.

The other big breakthrough we need is a streaming 3GP media player so we can use the PSP with Orb (www.orb.com). That would put that ridiculous LocationFree horseshit out of business pronto. Hell, I can use Orb with my N-Gage for gawd's sake! The PSP cost me five times more and but still can't do it.

I tell ya, the PSP is a great piece of hardware, but some of the things it can't do are ridiculous.

bobcobb
November 14th, 2005, 21:35
The reason the PSP's growth is being stunted is mostly because of Sony's firght against piracy and their need for everything to be propreitary. It sucks.

Hevyduty
November 14th, 2005, 22:48
The reason the PSP's growth is being stunted is mostly because of Sony's firght against piracy and their need for everything to be propreitary. It sucks.
If they try to pull this same crap with the PS3 (on-disc firmware upgrades; can't play new games unless you upgrade, etc.), I'm staying the hell away from it.

bill00000
November 15th, 2005, 01:08
Who's to say the Xbox won't use it? It's been working pretty good to stop the running of homebrew code with the PSP, and the Xbox was hacked to pieces. Considering how widespread recordable DVD-r's are, a soft mod for xbox would probably kill the console if microsoft was unequipped to put an end to it.

Quite honestly, Sony hit a goldmine when they implemented their firmware system. It's too bad piracy and homebrew have be so closely parallelled, but it seems sony will win the fight. Why would they even think of releasing a game that's not built like GTA:LCS and the others?

Another thought: Is the capability even there? The only place I've seen USB port like that are all on digital cameras, and haven't seen one do anything other than the "card reader mode" thing. I could easily be wrong, though.

Hevyduty
November 15th, 2005, 05:09
Well, I'm not worried about MS. They've never written anything secure in their lives.

The one thing that might keep firmware updates from coming to the consoles is the fear of bricking from power outages, etc. Without a battery to fall back on like with the PSP, Sony and MS might be afraid to go that direction with home consoles.

Getting back to USb, I'm not sure if the PSP has the hardware to run in USB host mode. Not sure if USB OTG is mostly a matter of hardware or software. I just hate the way the PSP is so useless in USB mode. I mean, it's $250 device with a screen and everything, not a simple $30 flashdrive with no interface. It annoys me that it can't act as an intelligent USB device.

Lots of MP3 players run in USB host mode, and as a result, can transfer files to/from the PSP. The Apacer Share Steno is a self-powered 2.5" HD enclosure that can as well.

Another interesting device is the Macally Syncbox 2, which hasn't come out yet, but it supposedly can transfer files from any two USB devices, such as a PSP and a simple flashdrive or microdrive. It acts as a bridge between the two devices, and has an LCD for selecting files for transferring. Worth keeping an eye on.