PDA

View Full Version : ApprenticeMinusDS 0.4.0 - SMS/GG emulator for Nintendo DS

wraggster
August 20th, 2008, 23:06
DCEmu Coder Lordus (http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,5314.0.html) has posted an entry into the Neoflash Coding Comp:

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll208/Lordus_/amds.png

ApprenticeMinusDS is a Nintendo DS Gamegear and Sega MasterSystem emulator that uses hardware rendering.

This version has scaling support for Gamegear mode and a region selection option, to enable playing of multi-region games in non-Japanese mode.
The hardware renderer was completely rewritten to support the scaling, but there was not enough time to test it, and there are some known (and unknown bugs) that i introduced, that will be fixed as soon as possible. Mostly it should be fine though. See the readme for more info on known issues and how to get around them, if possible.

Controls:

PAD1:
Button1 = (B)
Button2 = (Y) or (A)
L,R,D,U = directional keys
START/PAUSE = (START)

(X): Center screen
(L): Move screen area left
(R): Move screen area right
(Note: screen area can just be moved, if the game has a horizontal resolution of 320 pixels)

(SELECT): Enter File Browser (Also accessible by touchscreen)

Touch the "CONFIG" icon to enter Settings ingame.
(L)+(R): savestate menu (10 slots available / game)
(L): rewind
(R): Fast forward
(X)+(R): cycle through screen modes (game on top or bottom screen, modes where just 1 screen is used)
(X]+(L): cycle through GG scaling modes (none, correct aspect ration, fit screen)

See readme.txt for more infos.

Hope you enjoy it.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Keitaro Urashima
August 21st, 2008, 01:31
Thanks for releasing it.:D

jackal27
August 21st, 2008, 01:34
This and the newer versions of Jenisis won't run on my Max Media Dock... Even after DLDI patching... How disappointing...

They get to the game select screen, but then freeze before the game loads usually, and with this emulator, it freezes before it even lets me select a game. Please fix this, I'm still using the version of Jenesis that was released LAST year...

goshogun1
August 21st, 2008, 01:56
Hell yeah! This is my favorite sms/gg I own. (better than PSP and Xbox one IMO) Now I can play Zillion and Ys in English. Thank you so much Lordus! :thumbup:

crookedmouth
August 21st, 2008, 02:03
This and the newer versions of Jenisis won't run on my Max Media Dock... Even after DLDI patching... How disappointing...

The only work-around I've found for MMD is to rename JenesisDS.nds to bootme.nds. Perhaps that will work with ApprenticeMinusDS too? If so DSOrganize would be your friend for renaming ability. I'll try to check this later.

jackal27
August 21st, 2008, 02:08
The only work-around I've found for MMD is to rename JenesisDS.nds to bootme.nds. Perhaps that will work with ApprenticeMinusDS too? If so DSOrganize would be your friend for renaming ability. I'll try to check this later.

Hey, thank you so much for the help man! Do you think there are work arounds like this for some other apps as well? Also, I don't really understand what you meant about DSOrganize.

jackal27
August 21st, 2008, 02:58
well... renaming either one of them bootme.nds didn't work...

crookedmouth
August 21st, 2008, 03:06
Hey, thank you so much for the help man! Do you think there are work arounds like this for some other apps as well? Also, I don't really understand what you meant about DSOrganize.

No problem, the renaming to bootme.nds was one of the first workarounds found, I think, as well as the odd "setting clock to 00:00" work-around
You should also try running apps through spinal's Menu program, which is now named DSision. Of note though is you may want to try different versions of Menu/DSision. It has a nice looking Interface too.
I wasn't really thinking, when I mentioned DSOrganize. It wouldn't help a whole lot since once naming jenesisDS.nds to bootme.nds, jenesisDS would always start first, therefore never allowing you to run DSOrganize after the renaming, sorry. If I find time I'll try some other stuff.

Edit:

Just checked and this runs fine through DSision(ndsmenu) by spinal cord
http://spinal.dizidesigns.co.uk/downloads/ndsmenu.zip

However jenesisDS requires renaming to bootme.nds.

Mini Moose
August 21st, 2008, 04:23
It works for me and my Max Media Dock. I like the new fetures, but it's still got bugs.

crookedmouth
August 21st, 2008, 04:37
well... renaming either one of them bootme.nds didn't work...

Reformat your card, then rename jenesisDS to bootme.nds.

I used DSision and/or Menu 1.2 to get Apprentice working.

Mini Moose are you saying it works without menu/dsision on MMD?

If you still can't get it to work try fat32 if you were using fat16 or visa versa, during format.

Jeric
August 21st, 2008, 13:53
What's the status of this and the GnM?

crookedmouth
August 22nd, 2008, 03:59
What's the status of this and the GnM?

Run it through Menu/DSision by spinal and it works perfect.

Mini Moose
August 22nd, 2008, 04:17
Mini Moose are you saying it works without menu/dsision on MMD?

Yeah, I'm just using DSOrganize and it runs just fine! I just did everything I would normally do to anything I would put on my card. Patch it. Copy it. Run it.

I still cannot get the latest version of jEnesis to work though. (and I'm following all of the detailed workarounds you posted. I'll just wait for the next release.)

crookedmouth
August 22nd, 2008, 05:22
Something is screwy with my MMD, I tried running jenesisDS thru DSO then restarted and renamed jenesisDS using DSO and now my MMD won't run bootme.nds at start-up, yet running the renamed jenesis.nds/bootme.nds works with vanilla MMD?! wtf?

For me with my MMD and Sandisk CF, jenesisDS works fine by not running newest Max Media Player 1.22 and just running jenesis.nds from MMD with no workaround(unless you count using older "firmware").

Sorry for hijacking this thread. :/

Mini Moose
August 23rd, 2008, 02:50
Yeah, my MMD has the "newer" 1.22 version. XD

RottenFusion
August 23rd, 2008, 04:15
Wow. So far this has been running very well on my AceKard2, best SMS emulater for the DS so far in my opinion! Good work.

crookedmouth
August 23rd, 2008, 04:22
Yeah, my MMD has the "newer" 1.22 version. XD

You mean it came with it and you don't need to use bootme.nds?
If so is there a way to find the older startup files?

ethd
August 23rd, 2008, 18:28
This is a truly awesome emulator. Every game I've played plays fantastically. Keep up the good work.

jesus 666
September 2nd, 2008, 00:28
This is a truly awesome emulator. Every game I've played plays fantastically. Keep up the good work.
This emulator really is fantastic, it's easily one of the best emulators for the DS.

On the case of every game working I can't complain because for the most part this is true, however I have had extreme difficulty getting many games developed in the UK to work for some reason, in fact virtually all games made by Virgin Interactive don't seem to run at all :(

Tiger21820
November 14th, 2008, 21:52
The File is invalid... I hope it gets fixed soon... BTW, when are you going to add game geine/Pro Action Replay code suppourt?

crookedmouth
November 15th, 2008, 01:43
The File is invalid... I hope it gets fixed soon... BTW, when are you going to add game geine/Pro Action Replay code suppourt?

What file is invalid?

If you mean the download on page one, I just checked it and it works fine.

Turrican
January 1st, 2009, 00:23
this emulator is the best on DS!

I have a question - how do you change roms region? I want to play Power Strike II in EU (50hz) mode.

bman94
April 26th, 2009, 19:37
This emulator has a weird bug. When playing it on my Games n' Music it didn't work. Take the card out and set your DSs' time to 0:00 and it should work, hope this helps somebody.

grr
September 6th, 2011, 22:25
thx for your work