PDA

View Full Version : Linux and Xbox 360

Luke Johnson
November 15th, 2005, 20:38
I am a journalism student doing some research for a story I am developing about the possibilities of installing Linux on the Xbox 360.

First, will it be possible? Will the process be similar to installing Linux on the old machine? Will the 360 be able to function as a better "media center" if Linux is installed?

I am looking for any opinions or ideas. Please feel free to email me: [email protected].

Thanks.

Cap'n 1time
November 15th, 2005, 20:49
It is only a matter of hacking the box and running unsigned code. The linux community would not dare pass this chance up. Linux is not just a possibility, its garunteed... Now the duel core thing could be a problem, but I dont see why it would hold people back. It would not suprise me if this type of processor is already supported by linux. Anyways its not a question of "If". Booting linux is only part of whats required to get a "media center" going though. xbox 360's hardware is not anywhere similare to the xbox's, so dont count on seeing gentoox or whatever that thing is called running on it... Sure you could emulate the xbox hardware (thats what they are doing to get xbox games working) but linux would be better off running with the real hardware. Youll have to wait and see what is done and how it works out.