PDA

View Full Version : DS Emulation on PSP + more..

insane90
August 21st, 2008, 10:10
i've been away from the scene for a while,

can anyone update me on progress with a DS Emulator on a PSP?

Would it be possible to put a DS emulator on a phat PSP? Or would it be on a slim because there is more RAM inside?

Also,

i'm still on 3.52 m33-4. Is there any real reason i should upgrade? Its just that i have found this to be one of the most stable firmwares and seems compatable with more or less everything i try.

Opinions?

thanks

JKKDARK
August 21st, 2008, 20:42
There's already a DS emulator ported to PSP but it does nothing, it was only ported. And I don't think we wil lsee more progress on DS emulation.

elliott_nally
August 22nd, 2008, 13:06
There is a touch screen mod going on right now I am sure once that gets more perfected, Nintendo DS Emulation will move along a lot faster.

As for firmware I recommend upgrading to the latest 4.01 M33-2 with the 1.50k addon. It's been able to run anything and everything I throw at it, never has given me any problems whatsoever. A Real solid CFW.

insane90
August 24th, 2008, 09:30
thanks for the update guys.

I will have to go about upgrading.

What's the best way to upgrade from 3.52 m33-4 to 4.01 m33-2?

thanks

Wally
August 24th, 2008, 10:17
I still think you people are crazy for thinking that DS emulation will ever come to light on the PSP.. The devs all think its a waste of time which it is indeed.

These factors come into play:
a) DS has a touch screen, I know there is a touch screen project for the PSP but that's only going to cover the touch screen rather than the actual play screen.
b) The DS isn't called DS for no reason.. Think Duel Screen, PSP has half the playing area of the DS.
c) You people are idiots for thinking it'll ever happen, just wait for a more compatible full speed N64 emulator..

Wally

JLF65
August 24th, 2008, 19:01
Just playing Devil's Advocate here... not saying a DS emulator will ever come about.

I still think you people are crazy for thinking that DS emulation will ever come to light on the PSP.. The devs all think its a waste of time which it is indeed.

These factors come into play:
a) DS has a touch screen, I know there is a touch screen project for the PSP but that's only going to cover the touch screen rather than the actual play screen.

b) The DS isn't called DS for no reason.. Think Duel Screen, PSP has half the playing area of the DS.

A and B go together... the PSP screen is more than large enough to show the DS screens side by side or stacked one on top of the other with the PSP held sideways. In either case, the emulated DS screen will be nearly the same size as the physical DS screen given it's a much smaller display than the PSP display. In either case, a PSP touchscreen would cover BOTH emulated DS screens, and therefore be more flexible as you could reassign where the emulated touch screen would be located for your own preference.

I also think using the analog stick as the "touch" would be adequate for most DS games.

c) You people are idiots for thinking it'll ever happen, just wait for a more compatible full speed N64 emulator..

Wally

C is not a point, just making fun of people who hope to be able to play DS games on the PSP rather than needing yet another handheld to bring along. Given the GBA emulation is really good, and emulators like PicoDrive work very well, a DS emulation is certainly possible. Now whether a dev takes to time and care needed for something like this is an entirely different matter altogether.

Calling people stupid for thinking a (good/usable) DS emulator might one day be available is NOT the same thing as making fun of people for thinking a good PS2 or DC emulator for the PSP will one day come out. The DS is not a powerful system, and it's only claim to fame is the touchscreen.

elliott_nally
August 25th, 2008, 10:54
Well Said JLF65. :cool:

Wally
August 25th, 2008, 11:23
Well I agree with you considering I googled your nick and found out who you are :)

Not arguing, I know you'll win and bite my head off.

Wally

insane90
August 25th, 2008, 15:19
Calling people stupid for thinking a (good/usable) DS emulator might one day be available is NOT the same thing as making fun of people for thinking a good PS2 or DC emulator for the PSP will one day come out. The DS is not a powerful system, and it's only claim to fame is the touchscreen.

Agreed.

Since the PSP could probably handle the DS quite well if it had the right software running, that'd do me fine.

I really couldn't care less if the PSP could emulate the DS WITHOUT a touch-screen function.

The DS, for me, is a novelty, just like the Wii. The Wii was aimed at non-gamers (Nintendo said that themselves), so as a hardcore gamer ('ve been gaming for 13 years) i am not impressed by the Wii or DS because the novelty is so boring once you initially get over it. It's clearly a marketing ploy and newbie gamers fall for it.

Aside from the novelty controls on both the Wii and DS, there are few and far between games i'd like to emulate, but just having the option to emulate them on your main handheld console would be fantastic.

Well I agree with you considering I googled your nick and found out who you are :)

Not arguing, I know you'll win and bite my head off.

Wally

funny what a simple search can do :D

acn010
August 25th, 2008, 15:34
such argument again, sigh..
as for me, the emulator is possible and the touch CAN be emulated, its just a matter of time and effort... plain and simple. just dont use the source code available since it is optimized for the computer, has to be from scratch.

insane90
August 25th, 2008, 16:27
Just upgraded to 4.01 m33-2 :-) works like a charm.

Just to note; i went straight to 4.01 from 3.52 m33-4

acn010
August 25th, 2008, 16:34
so, its nothing new, congrats for updating. now, you want a cookie?

insane90
August 25th, 2008, 19:42
so, its nothing new, congrats for updating. now, you want a cookie?

what's your problem? :confused:

JLF65
August 25th, 2008, 19:58
You posted off-topic. This was a tense discussion of DS emulation and you posted "nooby-news" right in the middle of it. :D

DS is one of those systems that requires more care in an emulator than just porting a PC emu... which is why odds of it being done are low. Not zero... just don't get your hopes up. In that respect, it's like 32X (which may actually be coming... notaz has said he's looking to add it to PicoDrive), or Saturn (which is probably the limit of what the PSP could handle): the emulator has to be written specifically for the PSP to use every bit of power available.

DanTheManMS
September 3rd, 2008, 07:06
Given the GBA emulation is really good, and emulators like PicoDrive work very well, a DS emulation is certainly possible.
The shift from GBA to DS is a rather large jump. The main differences: 16 MHz vs two processors running at 66 MHz and 33 MHz, 256 KB of RAM vs 4 MB of RAM. Not saying it's not possible to emulate it at all, just that expecting gpSP-level emulation is a bit unrealistic.

Now whether a dev takes to time and care needed for something like this is an entirely different matter altogether.

Now that I can agree with. You're right, it would have to be coded from scratch directly for the PSP in order to get even close to full speed.

It's much like the "can N64/GBA be emulated on the DS?" arguments I'm constantly seeing (I'm a DS guy myself). The answer I usually give is yes, there's no reason why it couldn't be emulated in theory, but there's no guarantee that the emulator would run faster than 1 fps, if that.

shadowriffe
October 13th, 2008, 04:43
The main problem with DS emulation is the fact that the DS has 2 processors, one for each screen. Granted that these two processors are slower than the PSP's, it still makes emulation extremely difficult. My Desktop only has one processor and it has a hard time running a DS. Multi-threading is the only thing that will allow for good DS emulation in the near future, and I don't see a dual-core processor coming anytime soon.

Maybe if there is a breakthrough in decompilation and someone could port DS games to a single screen or something. I'm not being a naysayer, but I don't think it's possible at all. I could be wrong though, and I hope I am, though I think that DC and N64 emulation is a much more realistic final goal.

Still, Jump Ultimate Stars with the English Patch on a PSP would be Ah-mayzin.

Zack
October 13th, 2008, 13:59
Emulation of 2d DS games at a playable speed is certainly possible..

I personally can't see anyone taking up the project though, lack of a touchscreen means that even if it was full speed the emulation still wouldn't be true to the original console (due to no touchscreen)

DanTheManMS
October 28th, 2008, 23:37
The main problem with DS emulation is the fact that the DS has 2 processors, one for each screen.

Not really. The two processors handle separate things, and so a single processor is in charge of drawing to both screens. The ARM7 handles audio, wifi, touchscreen, power management, some buttons, and possibly the micropohone (not sure about that one). The ARM9 handles most everything else. Both must be synchronized in order for stuff to get done. It's not a "one processor per screen" thing at all.

hacker94
October 31st, 2008, 00:03
thanks for the update guys.

I will have to go about upgrading.

What's the best way to upgrade from 3.52 m33-4 to 4.01 m33-2?

thanks

I way to get to 4.01 m33 cfw is by

3.52 m33=>3.71 m33=>3.80=>4.01 m33

or

By installing desparter del cementrio v7 (might have been spelt wrong)