PDA

View Full Version : Help? with starting coding for nds

oooooomonkeys
August 22nd, 2008, 12:49
Hi i've been thinking i want to try my hand at making my own homebrew after seeing everyone else over the past months.
but i dont have a clue about where to start?
so could anyone give me some advice or tips on where to start learning how to code for the ds what tutorials are best etc that kind of thing.
but remember ive never done this before so i need to learn easy stuff first lol.
and can it be done on the ds itself? as i suppose it would be better if i can be doing it where ever i go.

Thanks for any help.

type_theEND
August 22nd, 2008, 22:28
Errrrrr
Wow, you really have no clue.
No, you can't really code on the DS, and there isn't really any easy way to do it.
I'd start by lrnin2program (Learn HTML, it's a good starter language, but not really a language. Then go for Javascript-NOT JAVA, then a C variant, probably C++).
It's may be hard. Or, if you already know how to code, look for a DS SDK or something.

Buddy4point0
August 23rd, 2008, 00:25
If you want to code in C, C++, or C#, start by learning to code in the language for PC.

If you're looking to learn to code in lua for DS, I'm not sure.
I could point you towards where to code for PSP but idk about DS.

oooooomonkeys
August 23rd, 2008, 01:46
i already know html, what im after is what kind of stuff do i need to know to be able to make homebrew games that run on the ds.
my ultimate goal right now is to be able to make side scrolling games to play on my ds.

what would be the best thing to learn for ds brew c++, lua, java?

oooooomonkeys
August 23rd, 2008, 20:20
anyone? all i would like to know is where to start which language is best to learn first, for programing games of the 2d type?

DanTheManMS
August 23rd, 2008, 20:58
If you want to do any serious programming on the DS, C++ is what you need to look into. PAlib makes it easier to code for the DS, but you're still going to have to learn a lot to make anything work.

oooooomonkeys
August 24th, 2008, 10:19
looks like i will learn c++ then thanks .

Buddy4point0
August 25th, 2008, 17:24
C++ is more powerful, Lua is easier.

DanTheManMS
August 25th, 2008, 23:03
But I haven't heard anything about LUA for the DS in years. I think there is an implementation of it, but I don't think it's very advanced. Along the same lines, there are implementations of Python, Java, BASIC, and even Perl on the DS, but if you're looking for anything more than a "hello world" app you should stick with C++.