PDA

View Full Version : GTA Chinatown Wars: 2D or 3D?

Eviltaco64
August 23rd, 2008, 03:09
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r256/MikeGarwood93/GTACW2D3D.jpg

Hello, DCEmu users.

What do you think of Grand Theft Auto coming to the Nintendo DS?

Honestly, I myself am thrilled. The only problem I'm thinking of is whether or not the DS could handle GTA in 3D like PS2 did.

Still, I think that the game wouldn't be so well recieved if it was like the original GTA games that were in 2D.

If you had to choose between a not that good looking 3D Grand Theft Auto game or a 2D Grand Theft Auto 2-style GTA game on the DS, which would it be?

I myself would go with 3D, just because I really dislike the original aerial camera 2D GTA games, but we all have our differences.

So, DCEmu, what would you pick?

Written by: Eviltaco64

wolfpack
August 23rd, 2008, 05:10
I wouldnt mind a 2D GTA.

Personally i think people rag on the 2D versions too much. I mean sure its not the greatest graphics in the world but so freaking what. It was an awesome game. The only thing i criticize about gta1 is saving during parts of the game. That wouldve been nice but other than that it was a great game imo.

3D is good too, but all im saying is, 2D should have a chance just as well.

bah
August 23rd, 2008, 05:18
Has it been announced whether it will be 2d or 3d?

I'd say 2d myself, I don't think the ds could handle a reasonable looking/smooth running 3d GTA. Happy to be proved wrong though.

I really liked GTA2 on the PC back when it came out, the multiplayer was fantastic. You can download n play it for free from here : http://www.rockstargames.com/classics/

ICE
August 23rd, 2008, 05:20
DS wont be able to do a full 3d GTA game without making it crap. Expect 2d.

Eviltaco64
August 23rd, 2008, 05:31
I could imagine a psuedo-3D GTA myself.
I think all they would have to do is make the camera adjust itself every time you make a turn.

zebh
August 23rd, 2008, 05:40
yo creo que con graficos como los de zelda phantom hourglas

bah
August 23rd, 2008, 06:12
English please.

mikebeaver
August 23rd, 2008, 07:18
English please.

Not quite sure on the correct translation, but the guy above you said why could it not have graphics in a style to Zelda: Phantom Hourglasss, which is a good point as it is then 3D but also sort od 2D if you get what I mean.

I thinka 2D version of GTA would be horrid in this day and ag, I could never get on with the originals, purely because there was not enough distance or draw time to see where the heck you were going.

Mike..

rigor
August 23rd, 2008, 16:16
I lol at each person who thinks the DS can handle a 3D GTA like GTA III.

GTA2 was great, they just have to make a good choice for the view distance with the aerial camera.

Harshboy
August 23rd, 2008, 16:35
I'll take some choppy 3D GTA over kick ass looking 2D mainly because all 2D GTA Games sucked.

masterchief929
August 23rd, 2008, 17:18
i want 3D. 2D sux.

oooooomonkeys
August 23rd, 2008, 17:26
i have this horrible feeling that its going to be bad, all i can picture is the terrible release that was scarface on the psp.
but Rockstar have never let me down yet i always think the worst, i thought bully would be rubbish too but that turned out to be a quality game.

gutbub
August 23rd, 2008, 17:51
Well, I don't buy games based purely on looks. I normally buy them for the gameplay. But if I had to choose, I'd say 2D. I loved the original GTA, it was awesome. I even bust it out for a play every now and then.

trugamer
August 23rd, 2008, 18:13
yo creo que con graficos como los de zelda phantom hourglas

English translation="I think that it will have graphics like Zelda the Phantom Hourglass" (not literal translation, just Englished up a bit)

I got an A in my Spanish GCSE and just wanted to show off :D

ethd
August 23rd, 2008, 18:42
Why does everyone think that the DS can't handle 3D properly? I mean, seriously, come on. The DS doesn't have 3D graphics at the level of the PS2 or PSP, but that doesn't mean that it can't do 3D, and that it can't do it smoothly.
That said, I'd rather it be in 2D because GTA I and GTA II were better than the newer ones. The 3D ones are okay, but they just didn't leave me with the feeling of kickassness that the old ones did.

F2bnp
August 23rd, 2008, 19:07
2D please!

masterchief929
August 23rd, 2008, 19:18
If it has graphics like Zelda: Phantom Hour Glass, that would rock.

ICE
August 23rd, 2008, 19:24
Why does everyone think that the DS can't handle 3D properly? I mean, seriously, come on. The DS doesn't have 3D graphics at the level of the PS2 or PSP, but that doesn't mean that it can't do 3D, and that it can't do it smoothly.
That said, I'd rather it be in 2D because GTA I and GTA II were better than the newer ones. The 3D ones are okay, but they just didn't leave me with the feeling of kickassness that the old ones did.

We all know what happens when a company makes a game for a console that cant handle that games original camera, style or graphics. They try and change things to work right and it never does... work right. Could they do some sort of 3d? Of course but you have to think which style can they do better.

They could either make a 3d game that makes you think "Uh it sorta feels like gta.. I guess." Or they could make a 2d game that would actually work very well with what the system has to offer.

EDIT: I really dont think Phantom Hourglass's camera angling would work with GTA. It would be better suited for a low and close camera that cuts down on draw distance.

wiggy fuzz
August 23rd, 2008, 19:43
3d gun fights, 2d driving (with 3d visuals)

jaws365
August 23rd, 2008, 21:36
I dig 2D games, but I must admit that GTA is way better in 3D than 2D. The whole concept of the GTA kinda took dramatc changes to the better with GTA 3.

I never liked GTA 2 but GTA 1 kicked arse :D

BastarB
August 23rd, 2008, 21:48
A fully open 3d world made to work with just 4 megabyte of slow RAM? Heh, i don't think so, at least it's VERY hard to imagine!

I have heard some peoples thoughts, that a 3D gta on the DS could have the same graphics as "Dementium the Ward" But isn't that far more harder to make a GTA with a beautiful open 3D world than making a beautiful 3D horror corridor with a few monsters as in Dementium the ward???

I think it would require more system memory on the DS!

Correct me if I'm wrong!

I would vote for a 2D GTA.

stevieola
August 23rd, 2008, 22:48
English Dammitt!!!

jhhoward
August 23rd, 2008, 22:49
A fully open 3d world made to work with just 4 megabyte of slow RAM? Heh, i don't think so, at least it's VERY hard to imagine!

Driver and Driver 2 on the original playstation did a pretty good job for an open 3D world, and if I remember correctly the hardware only had 2MB of main RAM. The main problem I foresee for a 3D DS GTA would be the hardware's poly limits, as it can only render 2048 triangles in a frame.

It's certainly possible to create a 3D version, but just needs some keen and experienced programmers (and plenty of financial backing)

I personally hope that they do go with a 3D version as it would be very technically impressive to pull off. I just hope they don't turn it into a huge set of touchscreen/microphone mini games!

Epic Pie
August 23rd, 2008, 23:41
It better be 3D or i'll stab my self until it is.

ciper
August 23rd, 2008, 23:57
I'll take some choppy 3D GTA over kick ass looking 2D mainly because all 2D GTA Games sucked.

You sir piss me off. The original Grand Theft Auto games were great. GTAIII and its sequels would not exist if the originals weren't so popular.

Grand Theft Auto III was released in 2001. Back then pre orders weren't common unless the game had some type of following. I was one of those people who preordered based solely on the gameplay of the previous THREE games (yes London counts).

Even today GTA two is still worth quite a bit of money for a copy of the DC version.

In short, die (in a fire preferably)

Eviltaco64
August 24th, 2008, 00:39
You sir piss me off. The original Grand Theft Auto games were great. GTAIII and its sequels would not exist if the originals weren't so popular.

Grand Theft Auto III was released in 2001. Back then pre orders weren't common unless the game had some type of following. I was one of those people who preordered based solely on the gameplay of the previous THREE games (yes London counts).

Even today GTA two is still worth quite a bit of money for a copy of the DC version.

In short, die (in a fire preferably)

Oh, my.
Dont wish someone died in a fire if they didnt like a 2D version of a video game :rofl:.

vicious1988
August 24th, 2008, 01:24
I remember back in the day. We'd get to Tech Ed, install the GTA2 demo, and see who could cause the most mayhem. Of course, that was before we were introduced to the wonders that existed w/i the Half-Life universe.

policrat
August 24th, 2008, 07:55
2D, with the caveat that they ought to make with narrative and plot, with lashings of environmental ambience. i.e., pick up where GTA2 left off. They've had ten years to hone this urban-miasma stuff. If it's mission-based mindless action in a generic city, then they're really only spinning their wheels (so to speak), and probably not much better or worse were it 3D.

Someone mentioned viewing distance earlier, and it'd be interesting to see them come up with a nice dynamic camera - for instance, differentiates between indoors and outdoors, reacts to different scenarios, perhaps even able to shift about from top-down to isometric. I'd like to see something new happen on the 2D front without it turning into a polygonal or Mode 7 mess.

nightblade36
August 24th, 2008, 08:24
I figure the DS could do an alright job with a 3D GTA. It would just have to limit the area sizes and break everything up a bit. Of course it would have it's limitations, but I don't think it would be impossible.

For example, look at Tony Hawk's American Sk8land. It's completely 3D, the game moves quickly, and some of the areas are relatively large. Consider the fact that the map for the DS GTA won't be that large, and it doesn't seem all that far off.

jaws365
August 24th, 2008, 08:51
Quote: SOD

Speak English or die!! And fukk the middle-east!!

bah
August 24th, 2008, 09:48
I'm with ciper apart from the death to harshboy part.

Him using the qualifier 'I thought' would be nice, as I personally loved GTA2 on PC. Wishing death is taking being a grammar nazi to the extreme a little though. :)

I'm hoping jaws365 is joking or being ironic or something.....

basilb
August 24th, 2008, 10:06
I think I can add a couple of things which might explain what they will go for on ds.
Driver2 is a good example of what they might do with limited RAM I agree. Also there are the Transformer games on DS that show how an open city game on DS would work, though I thought those games were kind of ugly.
The most obvious example I can think of is Body Harvest. It was developed by the same guys that went on to GTA, and in essence it was a very basic example of what the 3D gta's went on to be.
So imagine a better textured Body Harvest, with smoother frame rate, that might be what they go for, but they might have to break up areas when on-foot as compared to in-car.

jaws365
August 24th, 2008, 11:28
Yes I was being ironic. Itīs actually quote from an anti-fascist punk-band. And myself, I speak vietnamese and norwegian so I would not be the one to speak about cultural purity :D

rigor
August 24th, 2008, 12:02
Ok, what about pedestrians, traffic cars and physics? :D
Think about it, the DS can't handle that the way GTA3 did.
Transformers is good for a DS, but ugly and brainless AI.
Tony Hawks just have to handle the player movement, Nothing else.

cas2007
August 24th, 2008, 13:38
3d like jackass ds thats all i want or a buffy ds game style 2d then 3d fps

woodbin
August 24th, 2008, 13:47
I think that DS would be able to handle GTA with 3D wiev. Look at Driv3r for GBA. Just make better physics and graphics. I will not like GTA:CHW if it will be in 2D. I like 3D a lot more :)

arnold_disco
August 24th, 2008, 18:11
Id like it to be 3D. It could be shipped with a ram expansion pack like the DS Browser?

ciper
August 25th, 2008, 01:58
Back in like 2003 when Grand Theft Auto Advance was announced it was originally going to be a port of GTAII! In other words 3d GTA on the GBA.

ethd
August 25th, 2008, 04:17
Does perspective really matter when the game is really fun? Would you not play an awesome GTA (or any) game just because it's two-dimensional?
It makes (almost) no difference to me. How about you?

policrat
August 25th, 2008, 05:15
I think the hardware's a limitation to the sort of game it is - large areas, lots of people, vehicles - so the scope is somewhat greater were it to be 2D. That's if they don't simply plan on lumping us with a version of State of Emergency either way (the name certainly implies it). In which case my interest dwindles to zero.

Who's played Dreamweb? Now that was a nice looking game. Slightly ridiculous, but they nailed the environment.

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5776/dreamweb1ix2.png (http://imageshack.us)
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5776/ (http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=&i=dreamweb1ix2.png)

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/5453/112319737400uh8.png (http://imageshack.us)

Eviltaco64
August 25th, 2008, 05:32
Back in like 2003 when Grand Theft Auto Advance was announced it was originally going to be a port of GTAII! In other words 3d GTA on the GBA.

I read about that, that couldnt happen.
They were probably going to recreate the game and scale it down a lot for the GBA to handle it.
Most 3D games on GBA look like shit. End of story.

arnold_disco
August 25th, 2008, 10:59
I read about that, that couldnt happen.
They were probably going to recreate the game and scale it down a lot for the GBA to handle it.
Most 3D games on GBA look like shit. End of story.

What about games like The Sims bustin out ect?
They wer good to play.

shadiko
August 26th, 2008, 05:31
I really do think it might be semi 3d, Kinda like the sims ds, because really just thinking about the software limitations. I wouldnt mind sims ds graphics, but then again, I wouldnt mind 3d graphics either.

unholy3000
August 27th, 2008, 06:40
if they make it sorts like zelda I wouldint mind but it still won't be that gta experience that you would get on the 360. But its something new and I'm just looking foward to how there going to pull it off. Sorry for any spelliing mistakes I'm on ipod touch.

rigor
August 27th, 2008, 22:42
All of those who swear only by GTA3 or 4, aren't old enough to have experienced GTA1 and 2 when they were released back in the good old day.

Eviltaco64
August 29th, 2008, 07:39
What about games like The Sims bustin out ect?
They wer good to play.

The Sims games on GBA were psuedo-3D (Mario RPG comes to mind).
It's a lot different than real 3D.

kesadisan
August 31st, 2008, 18:19
In my opinion from all NDS game i played...
i think it will be semi 3D...
well when look at the control well NDS got bad on 3D, it's really hard to control a camera in360 degree using only L & R button or Stylus...
and the game will rotate the camera in left or right position only... some how like... we wouldn't see sky in this mode...
or so on...
CMIIW