PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic - The GP2X is taking the Homebrew Scene by Storm

wraggster
November 18th, 2005, 07:18
The GP2X has been available a week now and even non Koreans are getting to grips with it, in that week we have seen Snes and NeoGeo Emulators and ports of Quake, Quake 2 and Hexen and even 3 puzzle games, keep your eye on the GP2X scene via our GP2X News (http://gp2x-emulation.dcemu.co.uk/) Site.

Theres much more to come also.

Produkt
November 18th, 2005, 20:42
Maby you can fill me in, the people are claming the system only has a 400mhz processor with a 2d accelerator. it couldnt possibly have as much to do for 3d games as the PSP now could it?

with support for only SDL and no OpenGl support it forces the 3d games out a bit.

Hevyduty
November 18th, 2005, 21:43
Maby you can fill me in, the people are claming the system only has a 400mhz processor with a 2d accelerator. it couldnt possibly have as much to do for 3d games as the PSP now could it?

with support for only SDL and no OpenGl support it forces the 3d games out a bit.
I can't answer your questions on a technical level, but the GP2X is a homebrew machine. Do we actually have any 3D acceleration going on with PSP homebrew that I haven't seen yet? I think at this point, whether the 3D power of the PSP is an advantage in the homebrew scene remains to be seen.

Of course, commercial games are a different story. But GP2X isn't a commercial gaming machine, so it's not really applicable.

I do think the lack of WiFi on the GP2X is an obvious disadvantage. However, hopefully that'll be rectified with drivers that allow you to use an secure digital/wifi card. Has anyone heard any progress in that regard?

stormuk
November 19th, 2005, 00:39
I was initially tempted by one but whats stopping me is.

It dosnt have wifi which to me is a big thing - I know the psp cant do this yet but... imagine snes two player games over the net or hombre games wireless aka chu chu rocket. In addition homebre wireless stuff is getting there on the psp, with streaming net radio to mention but one - and then commercially you have fifa 2006 online which even though its fifa :( is great fun to play.

Commercially the GP2X is dead before it starts.

And the biggest thing is that psp homebrew and emulation is already strong, so apart from poor mame support, I really dont need another machine to do the same things as my psp can.

If this changes like it gets full speed psx emulation I might change my mind :)

Produkt
November 19th, 2005, 00:51
Thats the thing, the network abilities of the PSP have already started people have finaly figured out the DHCP function for the psp allowing them to play over infastructure or internet in some fashion.

And as for the 3D stuff check the link in my signature, its going places, there are 2 other 3d games, one of which was in a recent DCEMU contest.

The Home Brew Abilities of the PSP are finaly becomming the home brew machine

If the doom project flys like I hope it does the possibilities for 3d will be astounding.