PDA

View Full Version : id CEO Claims PC Hardware Manufacturers Love Piracy

wraggster
August 24th, 2008, 10:41
arcticstoat sends a link to an interview with the CEO of id Software, Todd Hollenshead, in which he suggests that hardware manufacturers count on piracy to help drive profits, rather than doing something to prevent it. Quoting:
"...I think that there's been this dirty little secret among hardware manufacturers, which is that the perception of free content — even if you're supposed to pay for it on PCs — is some sort hidden benefit that you get when you buy a PC, like a right to download music for free or a right to download pirated movies and games. ...And I think that just based on their actions...what they say is one thing, but what they do is another. When it comes into debates about whether peer-to-peer file-sharing networks that by-and-large have the vast majority, I'm talking 99 per cent of the content is illicitly trading copyrighted property, they'll come out on the side of the 1 per cent of the user doing it for legitimate benefit."

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/08/23/1636202

gutbub
August 24th, 2008, 15:29
well, what does this guy expect hardware manufacturers to do about it? some how block p2p? if that happened, then I'd stop buying from the people that blocked it. this guy needs know it's his problem, so he needs to fix it, not everybody else.

m-p{3}
August 24th, 2008, 15:43
He could have said the same thing for the ISPs, or the users themselves.

____anders____
August 24th, 2008, 23:33
and i love them:)
the hardware is the only thing i buy, no software unless it gives me something super-cool and fun in return:D

i don't think i have any useful software on my PC that i got the legal way, but loads of crap i got the other way:)

m-p{3}
August 25th, 2008, 17:24
Personaly I admit I have downloaded illegal softwares in the past, but now that I am a full-time worker, I purchase all my softwares and game, or find a free alternative to what I am looking for.