PDA

View Full Version : FreeDo the 3D0 emulator Coming Soon ?

wraggster
November 19th, 2005, 02:43
I was messaged this news a few days back but im so forgetful and over worked i forgot to post it but heres what i was messaged:

"The creator of the only 3DO emulator FreeDO has posted this in his message boards (www.freedo.org) regarding the next release....

"--- it's nearly ready -- few minor fixes and I'm releasing bunch of versions --
PocketPC, DC, MacOsX, Win32, RedHat/SuSE/FedoraCore3 i386.

so, you should expect them by friday - monday (Nov 21st)."

Lets hope this baby does get released

Christuserloeser
November 19th, 2005, 03:00
I am very excited. Can't wait to see this bad boy in action :)

Giomancer
November 19th, 2005, 04:48
Ooh, this ought to be interesting. As I remember, Admin was actually working on a devkit for 3DO. He actually helped me compile it; it was my first time using cygwin.. not to mention cross-compiling and bootstrapping. We did get it running, though. I wonder how he's doing with that; it would be nice to get a 3DO homebrew scene started..

- Gio

DARKGATE
November 19th, 2005, 06:11
=) GOOD!!!! i wait with impatience.
But freedo was'nt an emulator to payament?
There are good possibility of see work to full speed?

SmashinGit
November 19th, 2005, 09:44
To be able to play 3do games on my Dreamcast will be awsome :)

Giomancer
November 20th, 2005, 18:53
=) GOOD!!!! i wait with impatience.
But freedo was'nt an emulator to payament?
There are good possibility of see work to full speed?

Nope, FreeDO has always been free. They did have some issues with not being entirely open source, though, because they used some of 3DO's code (with permission). But free, yes.

And while I dunno about the DC version, the PC version worked quite well, IIRC. I'm gonna have to dig my 3DO gear out of the garage and test it. :p

- Gio

Starscream
November 20th, 2005, 20:52
I thought the PS2 and Xbox versions were supposed to come at a price. They made preorders a long time ago, but not much happenend. I was a bit worried, but I'm utterly surprised that the DC version is now coming out coded by the authors of Freedo themselves.
Let's see, I very much hope this materializes.

Darksaviour69
November 21st, 2005, 01:00
sweet

Max
November 21st, 2005, 20:54
I disapointed a lot of people with the delays of scenedicate a.k.a. the former Dreamcast Demo Disc as well as the GP32-DC linkcable (still a working prototype exists btw) and I learned about how to anounce projects the right way (at least I think so) and how you shouldn't do it.

The FreeDO coders did it the worst way you could do it. :) And I think not only I am very disapointed. A very very promising emulator became a buggy preversion for Windoze after years of delays... the PS2/Xbox ports should have go commercial... and according to the programmer it went to the factory four months ago... and nothing happend. The Dreamcast port should have been released a several month ago... and we even don't know if that's a hoax or not...

And now, it's 11 p.m. on the 21st November - Isreal time zone...

"so, you should expect them by friday - monday (Nov 21st)."

...and one hour left for the Dreamcast port. And I'm somehow very sad, yet satisfied that my feelings about this were right.

smiles
November 21st, 2005, 21:17
I hope you're wrong. I belive the FreeDO admin just moved to the USA, so perhaps Time Zones in that area are what you should go on, NOT the time in Isreal.

Max
November 21st, 2005, 21:20
But anyway, it's characteristical that it would happen on the very last day of their (his) set deadline.

I still cross my fingers that I'm wrong as well, since I'm a 3DO fan since the beginning. :) I have several 3DO classics lying around and I can't wait to see Need For Speed on the Dreamcast.

obelisk
November 22nd, 2005, 14:09
don't cry. devs aren't always on time. life happens.

Darksaviour69
November 29th, 2005, 16:58
update

DC Port is undertesting now , if everything is ok, i'm going to upload an ISO.
It is boot disk, with NVRAM manager (allows to select different files from VMU, compress, decompress them and delete them). It supports direct loading of 3do formatted disk, iso9660 image on cdr (just throw iso or cue/bin files on cdrom, good for small games, you can put few of them on single cdr), and compressed isoz files, created by supplied tool. (actually tested on "D", allowing to squeeze both disk on single cdr)
currently emulator ISO+tool takes 35mb, please note, this and following ports of the freedo doesn't need actual bios to work.

and

on November 29th, 2005, 2:20am, MasterMan wrote:
Hey, Admin. A friendly, free of rush, but sorta noob question.
You think Dreamcast's hardware can get on hold of 3DO's speed?
It can do playable experience, with cutscene playback, sound, VMU save and such?
Or it will be like 80% or less? Just answer by a coder viewpoint.

Congrats for your great acomplishment and thanks for your hard work.
Cheers.

Currently it runs with some idle time too, so DC hw is capable to run freedo with good speed, playable, and nearly lag-free -- currently i've noticed some lag during intencive disk loading time, like in Killing Time, when background music changes.

Cast128dreams
December 4th, 2005, 16:38
Iam waiting to check this emoulator!!!