PDA

View Full Version : Whats best now to run homebrew?

thaive
November 20th, 2005, 12:10
i have looked over the short guide here on what to buy to run homebrew, but lately i have found that there are newer better products that have come out and like others, i have become disolussioned.

what are the best products out there now? combination wise? do i go cart or sd, what passme do i use? etc

some of these may sound really stupid, and for this i apologise, but if people could perhaps respond with hteir set ups or what they think works best i (and i think others) would really appreciate it.

cheers
thaive

p.s. is http://www.divineo.cn/cgi-bin/div-cn/nds-nfl1g and good?

King DS
November 20th, 2005, 19:35
i would say no. the whole SD thing is WAY cheaper and more compact AND pssible easyer to use

thaive
November 21st, 2005, 03:35
okie doke - so so far SD is the way to go, would it then be possibple for me to purchase something like a MK3, an SD card (and multi card reader/writer) and be able to run homebrew, or would i still need to purchase a passme/key and some sort of flashcart?

cheers again

thaive

Cap'n 1time
November 21st, 2005, 04:38
You can buy a Pass Me card for like $15 if you live in the US and I scored some flash cart for like $20 on ebay.

You need both a pass me and a flash cart to do anything.

thaive
November 21st, 2005, 05:31
a passme goes into the ds card slots yes? so where does the mk3 plug into?

i'm guessing you can perhaps get flashcarts that allow you to insert sd of cf?

p.s. i'm an aussie so some of this stuff is harder to come by for good value

cheers
thaive

thaive
November 21st, 2005, 07:39
ok so i've done a little hunting around on ebay and this is what i have come up with:

a $16 multi-card reader (SD)
$80 for a 1 gig SD card
$80 for a supercard to GBA adapter

is this a good set up?
is there an issue with save games?

to go with this all i would then need is a pass me, any one in particular?

i have a teal blue ds which came with a nintendogs bundle, might this effect what sort of passme i require?

many thanks again

thaive

King DS
November 21st, 2005, 10:23
i live in the UK so i dunno if your getting your moneys worth. im getting a bundle which is the Supercard with a Passme for £30. i got a 128mb card but i dunno how much space it give me as its got some conversion thing from megabytes to megabits.

i doubt theres a save problem. i say try www.froogle.com (or whatever it is for aus' eg. froogle.aus :-p) its a google for shooping so it might help a bit.

you WILL need the passme no matter what if you wanna play it on te DS. as for the M£ thing, im not sure but i dont think you need the flashcart. as it goes into the DS slot and has an SD slot on it. i think your ok for that.. hopefully someone who knows better can tell you

thaive
November 21st, 2005, 12:12
cheers mate, just from looking at the device itself it does have an sd card in it, this , for me, looks like a cheaper option as it takes out the $80 flashcart

if anyone has used the mk3 or knows how it works would much appreciate to know how you did it

cheers

thaive

thaive
November 21st, 2005, 12:32
hmm.... does this mean it requires a flashcart?

MagicKey2 / MagicKey3 Main Feature:
1.Boot from ANY Flash cart.
2.Included 8Kb high-speed inner cache, can use command to read/write it.
3.Included 2M SRAM for NDS game save ( 100% hardware save, support EEPROM and Serial Flash directly ), and can compress the game save then backup to 16M menu flash later ( SMS function ).
4.Included 16M Menu Flash, can store the MK2 / MK3 boot menu program, and can backup / restore the NDS SMS file
5.Support SD and MMC card directly, maximum memory size up to 16Gb ~ 32Gb.
6.Included Li-Ion battery, lifetime over 5 years, can keep the game save data around 3~7 days, for temporary using only, must backup the save data to menu flash later for a long time safe backup.
7.Battery voltage display, can show NDS working voltage and MK2 / MK3 Li-Ion battery voltage.
8.Support software reset, it'll help to make the multi-files loader.
9.Support memory bank swap, very easy to use offset to swap the memory bank.
10.Support power saving mode, some hardware module can enter sleeping mode when it don't run, and can use command to call them wake up.
11*.Included 256M / 512M Game Flash, for run PD rom and APP rom through MK2/MK3 and not need SD/MMC support.
12*.Included 64M / 128M Zip RAM, for decompress the data and run directly, also can use for a huge size high-speed working buffer, for example the Linux / EMU / PDA ...
(* note: No.11 and No.12 is for MK3 only, and MK2/MK3 don't support iQue and new color NDS, it's for original version NDS only, and you need to use ANY GBA flash cart to boot it from GBA port)

King DS
November 21st, 2005, 13:50
well i have no idea then. thought that was right but then again i only looked at the photo :-p

thaive
November 22nd, 2005, 02:07
lol damn missleading photos :)

if others could reply with their setups it would be really really really really good

cheers

thaive

thaive
November 22nd, 2005, 05:26
http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:XSjC5Tj6J0UJ:gbatemp.net/index.php%3Fshowtopic%3D28178+superpass+australia+ nds&hl=en&client=firefox-a

excuse the cache but its the only way it will work - nice little review on the super pass with pictures

cheers

thaive

King DS
November 22nd, 2005, 08:55
Does anyone know what game that is?? it looks good, even if its one pic. :D

thaive
November 24th, 2005, 02:13
i recieved my super card today, but am still pass-less, and sd less lol

on a sadder note, on more research i have found that my super pass will not work with my cosmic blue console - as such i am trying to arrange a console swap for an original silver .... one site i went to said i would be able to run it - they lied, and now, now baby jesus cries

thaive
November 26th, 2005, 07:10
king - i belive its called kocoto racer .. or something very similiar

King DS
November 26th, 2005, 09:49
Cheers, sorry to hear about it not working :p poor jebus, if only he were real. im cutting this post short to look into the kocoto racer. good luck with the swap

thaive
November 27th, 2005, 02:44
on double check i think it was cocoto racing if you haven't had any luck - on a happier not i got my silver ds, traded it for blue and nintendogs ... (i hated the game anyway) on closer inspection though i have discovered that the touch screens are different - my blue touchscreen had diagnol lines but my silver one has dots lol

anyone else noticed this?

King DS
November 27th, 2005, 11:02
its no diffrence, there was the tread about it here Ages ago. now im off again to find about cocoto racing. Hopefully ill get somewere this time :D

thaive
November 30th, 2005, 11:27
king - i pmed u with more info on the game