PDA

View Full Version : PS3 SKUs compared, no PS2 backwards compatibility found

wraggster
August 27th, 2008, 00:22
t's been at least an hour since Sony has released a new PlayStation 3 SKU, so our friends at Joystiq took the time to take a breath. In that moment, they came up with a handy -- and somewhat startling -- chart that explains which PS3 model has what, including Cell chip size (the more efficient and quieter 65nm vs the older 90nm), USB port count, pack-in freebies, and which ones have PS2 backwards compatibility. It's charts like that that remind us that no currently-shipping PS3 comes with HD video cables or PS2 backward compatibility, for better or worse. Hit the read link for the breakdown, and start your fanboy engines.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/26/ps3-skus-compared-no-ps2-backward-compatibility-found/

jamotto
August 27th, 2008, 00:26
PS2 backward compatibility is too expensive and not really necessary as they still are selling the PS2 anyways.

Triv1um
August 27th, 2008, 01:13
Software isnt too expencive.

Im not sure how it works, and why it cannot be included in the new ones.

But the PAL 60gb runs PS2 games through software. Why cant all?

DPyro
August 27th, 2008, 01:36
They don`t want to compete with the PS2.

Napalm-Death
August 27th, 2008, 01:54
Nice way to increase profits in the hardware division.

JLF65
August 27th, 2008, 02:55
Software isnt too expencive.

Im not sure how it works, and why it cannot be included in the new ones.

But the PAL 60gb runs PS2 games through software. Why cant all?

Well, I'm sure most people don't RTFA, so let me summarize it:

There have been three main designs of the PS3 released. The first PS3 design (released in the US and Japan) had both the EE (CPU) and GS (GPU) for the PS2 as part of the circuitry of the PS3. This was hardware backwards compatibility and ran more than 90% of PS2 software.

The second design coincided with the release of the European PS3. This design didn't have the EE (CPU), but DID have the GS (GPU). It used software to emulate the EE instead. This is the "software" backwards compatibility mentioned, and ran about 70% of PS2 software.

The third design it what is currently shipping and has neither the EE nor the GS anymore. It also only has 2 USB port and no card reader. Since it has neither the EE nor the GS, it would have to emulate the entire PS2 in software, and so far Sony isn't doing that. As a result, the current shipping PS3s have no PS2 backwards compatibility at all.

Baboon
August 27th, 2008, 08:44
It a shame there is no BC on the the new ps3's. Ive got quite a few classic ps2 games and having perfect backwards compatibility for me was a great selling point. It just sounds like a cheap cop out that all new ps3s have had this feature removed??

mcdougall57
August 27th, 2008, 10:28
How much money will they gain by removing this feature?

I'd love to see my FFXII upscaled to 1080p so there wouldn't be any more jaggies.

jonezybaby
August 27th, 2008, 14:38
i have a 60gb ps3 with BC and ill admit FFXII was by far the worst to be upscaled, so jagged, wasnt at all smooth, and makes FFVII look half desent!!

to make FFXII looks resonable i have 2 revert the output back to 576p and then it still wasnt smooth! the best upscaled game ive seen so far is the getaway!

onetwentyeight
August 27th, 2008, 16:04
for the few nuts willing to pay for the few remaining, incredibly marked up 60GB units, minus upscaling to 1080p anyone should be able to fit a ps-two (the size of two dvd cases - smaller than a wii) into their gaming setup. i plan to get a new 80GB this holiday as my first entry into the world of ps3, and i haven't even turned on my big phat ps2 in over a year (though every once in a while i pine for some gt4 action to go with my logitech racing wheel about which i'm unsure whether it will work with the ps3 at all - usb?).

Napalm-Death
August 27th, 2008, 19:27
How much money will they gain by removing this feature?

I'd love to see my FFXII upscaled to 1080p so there wouldn't be any more jaggies.

I still got jaggies when I did that.

Ryupowerup
August 27th, 2008, 20:05
i think
40gb ps3 will be the new 80gb (NO ps2 backwards compatibility)
and
80gb ps3 will be the new 160gb (http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/20/sony-reveals-uncharted-drakes-fortune-160gb-playstation-3-sta/)(should of had ps2 backwards compatibility)

so the Best ps3 version it the 60gb version

Mc_Logical
August 27th, 2008, 21:13
for the few nuts willing to pay for the few remaining, incredibly marked up 60GB units, minus upscaling to 1080p anyone should be able to fit a ps-two (the size of two dvd cases - smaller than a wii) into their gaming setup. i plan to get a new 80GB this holiday as my first entry into the world of ps3, and i haven't even turned on my big phat ps2 in over a year (though every once in a while i pine for some gt4 action to go with my logitech racing wheel about which i'm unsure whether it will work with the ps3 at all - usb?). Yep u need one of these, ps2 converter for ps3, google it

http://media.uxcell.com/uxcell/images/item/catalog/ux_a07090100ux0055_ux_c.jpg

chuggman
August 28th, 2008, 07:52
Hmmm :( That's lame. All I use my PS3 for is to watch movies and play PS2 games. (good thing I got a 20 GB PS3 while they are still around). Nevertheless I think Sony should leave a tantalizing bug in there firmware thats easy to exploit if there taking out software backwards compatibility for PS2 in the "expensive" (160GB) PS3. I mean leave us a good bug that lets us use the whole PS3 power and video processor; not some stupid linux OS installer that can't access much hardware. Do this so at least we can start writing our own PS2 emulator and have the power necessary to run it since Sony is too concerned with money and are too lazy install there own emulator on our new systems!

I shouldn't be upset but this does mean If my PS3 ever dies I'm going to really not like Sony:(:mad::eek:

JLF65
August 28th, 2008, 09:11
Knowing Sony, they're leaving PS2 emulation for 3.00, just like PS1 emulation on the PSP. :D

jrsmaster411
August 28th, 2008, 21:28
maybe in 2 years or so when the ps2 is completely dead they can release a firmware update with ps2 backward compatibility or start releasing ps2 games on psn

mcdougall57
August 29th, 2008, 22:46
maybe in 2 years or so when the ps2 is completely dead they can release a firmware update with ps2 backward compatibility or start releasing ps2 games on psn

That business model didn't exactly go well with "xbox originals".

Eviltaco64
August 29th, 2008, 23:46
The 60GB American/Japanese PS3 is still, without a doubt, the best PS3 to own.
If I get PS3, I demand PS2 BC.

jonezybaby
September 5th, 2008, 14:42
they have already released a ps2 game on the psn, its a junior buzz game, £3.49 they want for it which is a bargin, i went into a shop the other day and found it second hand and they wanted £12 :S