PDA

View Full Version : Will the PSP-3000 Defeat Homebrew?

wraggster
August 27th, 2008, 19:57
Unauthorized hacking of the PSP has been a serious problem for Sony ever since enterprising hackers managed to run unsigned code on the PSP-1000 back in 2005. The ability to revert to an unprotected version of the firmware, and later the ability to install completely custom pirate firmware has enabled some owners to play pirated PSP games downloaded from the internet.

By some accounts, developers like Ready at Dawn and Capcom have lost more than 50% of their prospective revenues to software piracy. One estimate has software producers losing more than $4 million per week to piracy. In June, SCEE President David Reeves stated that “There is a piracy problem on the PSP. We know about it, we know how it’s done. It sometimes fuels the growth of hardware sales, but on balance we are not happy about it.”

Clearly, defeating piracy is one of the biggest concerns facing designers at Sony. It appears that the company may be planning to take some drastic steps to deter homebrew on the device with the release of the new PSP-3000 model, but like always, the company remains very secretive about its plans.

The first clue that they have something up their sleeve is the fact that the company recently recalled the extended-life battery peripheral from stores, even though there were no signs that it was selling poorly. The reason for the cancellation is likely the fact that hackers had found a way to create a Pandora battery using an ordinary Sony battery like the one sold as an accessory. Pandora batteries allow hackers and pirates complete access to the PSP firmware, allowing them to override official protections against piracy.

While the PSP-3000 is confirmed to make a small number of great changes to the overall design of the handheld, we suspect that some of the biggest changes will be taking place under the hood, to fight homebrew hackers. The device will probably come equipped with a new battery pack and reboot system that renders the previous “Pandora” attack obsolete. It will also likely contain hardware changes intended to further dissuade reverse-engineering of the console. We suspect that when the PSP-3000 rolls out in October, it will come equipped with a brand new firmware (version 5.0?) containing some aggressive anti-piracy measures.

Will these changes be enough to permanently put a stop to piracy? Unfortunately, this is doubtful. Hackers have shown a great deal of enthusiasm for the device, using it to run gray-area code like emulators and chat clients, but also to pirate software. There is a vibrant and extremely skilled community of hackers poised to tear apart whatever hardware protections Sony decides to implement with the new device. It is almost certainly a matter of time until a hacker like Dark Alex manages to penetrate the secrets of the new PSP-3000. Also, since any new firmware must be backwards-compatible with the PSP Slim and even the PSP-1000, Sony designers are limited in the kinds of protection that they can implement, at least on the software side.

http://www.pspworld.com/sony-psp/news/will-the-psp3000-defeat-homebrew-009201.php

mike_jmg
August 27th, 2008, 20:31
maybe this one will put on a fight but most likely, DAX will find a way to put Custom Firmware on it

kjetil1991
August 27th, 2008, 20:42
its good that people can have custom firmware on thier psp to run homebrew but to much piracy =/

splodger15
August 27th, 2008, 20:56
lol Give it a few months and that console will be blown right open

Safari Al
August 27th, 2008, 21:09
Easy answer: No

It may be extremely hard to accomplish, but not impossible

uberjack
August 27th, 2008, 21:09
Let's face it - Pandora was a huge advantage when it was discovered; up until then, hacking each version was getting more and more difficult. I don't doubt that Sony will embed a new protection mechanism in PSP 3000 - they've learned from their mistakes, and this time, it may be even more difficult to "crack" the system. That said, I don't doubt that some of the bright minds we have behind the original exploits will eventually find some way of overcoming the issue.

AshTR
August 27th, 2008, 21:12
Easy answer: No

It may be extremely hard to accomplish, but not impossible

Yep. You can't defeat homebrew.

alanparker05
August 27th, 2008, 22:03
The only thing i'm worried about is if hacking the psp 3000 means modifying the hardware by adding a mod chip, because now you can mod the psp and still keep the warranty, and this will put off a lot of casual gamers, and in the end this will reduce sales and less games will be made.. And most of the good homebrew devs might jump ship and go to pandora or wiz, but if someone else makes a good homebrew handheld i'll probably go myself

mcdougall57
August 27th, 2008, 22:17
Nothings impossible.

ricosuavez
August 27th, 2008, 22:32
like all other consoles...it will be hacked eventually...

the more big coorporation guys talk about anti-piracy

the more i laught at them...the only thing coming out of

their mouth is more money...well your going to have to

work harder for it ...sorry...ha ha ha :rofl:...instead of

fighting the homebrew community,try to be creative for

a change....and stop crying like a baby about the

money you didnt make...

maxipower90
August 27th, 2008, 22:33
with all these new PSPs its gonna get more confusing lol thats all but like the posts above have stated, its only a matter of time. i got my 3rd PSP 1000, lol i never got a slim and at the stage i bought my 3rd one it was the same price as a slim.

im happy with 1000

dangee
August 27th, 2008, 22:44
Nothings impossible.

Any possible 100% guaranteed secure 3000 will surely be a tempting target
for many Crackers/Hackers seeking fame & glory.

jamotto
August 27th, 2008, 22:46
Will the PSP 3000 be hacked I'm sure it will, hopefully though not for years to come. We really need developers to become more confident of the PSP and homebrew does not help that.

It looks to me Sony is tying up all the loose ends on the PSP, with all official Sony phat batteries discontinued and the Slim getting the TA-88 v3 motherboard that stops pandora for now.

midnitdragoon
August 27th, 2008, 23:41
to be honest any machine can be hacked. jus a matter of time. Now this new psp is going to be a challenge...no doubt. In fact i doubt they will find a way to hack it because they are def learning from their past mistakes. whats the last OFW that was hacked???

This new psp can be a huge success for developers who want to make new games and hope for it to sell good.

uberjack
August 28th, 2008, 00:09
like all other consoles...it will be hacked eventually...

the more big coorporation guys talk about anti-piracy

the more i laught at them...the only thing coming out of

their mouth is more money...well your going to have to

work harder for it ...sorry...ha ha ha :rofl:...instead of

fighting the homebrew community,try to be creative for

a change....and stop crying like a baby about the

money you didnt make...

That's not necessarily the right attitude. I don't blame Sony for wanting to stop piracy - it's an unfortunate side-effect that legitimate homebrew hobbyists are targeted by extension. Sony has stated before that their problem is not with homebrew (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Portable_homebrew#Sony.27s_position) - it's with the rampant piracy on the system.

RicardoG
August 28th, 2008, 00:10
You can laugh all you want because some day if you want to play games you will just have to make them in your own homebrew console made of card box.

Imagine everyone making a copy of Final Fantasy XII when it came out...if SquareEnix didn't make their money on the game you wouldn't be able to play the new one that they are making.
Why? Because you didn't return their investment.
When you buy a game you are not just giving the money for your new game that you just bought, you also are assuring your future game like Final Fantasy XIII.
If you wanna see a GOOD example try looking to what happened to SQUARE PICTURES...that's right, since it wasn't a hit like they thought it would be, they had to shut down the studio.
All this because they invested their money...but the people didn't went to see their movie or at least that many people (I didn't like it my self...).

I love homebrew!
But I hate piracy!!!

RicardoG
August 28th, 2008, 00:13
That's not necessarily the right attitude. I don't blame Sony for wanting to stop piracy - it's an unfortunate side-effect that legitimate homebrew hobbyists are targeted by extension. Sony has stated before that their problem is not with homebrew (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Portable_homebrew#Sony.27s_position) - it's with the rampant piracy on the system.

See guys, at least someone here have a brain!
Well said

acn010
August 28th, 2008, 01:00
on the psp, the hacking was all done on software, not on hardware.. so its a looking situation.. just a simple rearranged codes or even addons might do the job... like the older models

ojdon
August 28th, 2008, 01:05
Don't we get this all the time, like "OMG the new motherboard will stop homebrew" Which it doesn't.

Wonder how long it will take for a m33 CFW for this "PSP-3000" :P

Veskgar
August 28th, 2008, 02:30
The ability to revert to an unprotected version of the firmware, and later the ability to install completely custom pirate firmware has enabled some owners to play pirated PSP games downloaded from the internet.

The device will probably come equipped with a new battery pack and reboot system that renders the previous “Pandora” attack obsolete.

Man, Wraggster calling M33 firmware custom pirate firmware is really kind of insulting and harsh don't you think?

And then to downplay the ingenuity of the Pandora method to make PSP's homebrew-enabled by calling it an "attack" is also really harsh.

Considering the guys behind Pandora and CFW and all of the hard work, dedication, perseverance, brilliance, and sacrifice put forth to make the PSP homebrew scene so great, I think that is a great display of why so many coders have abandoned the PSP.

Their work is not appreciated and is even demonized. Why? Because of emulators? Give me a break. Emulators are always one of the more popular kinds of homebrew. Those involved with M33 and Pandora condemn and try to dissuade against using their stuff for pirating.

This is sad. I guess this could be the end of the fast-fading PSP homebrew scene. Nobody is going to come out with anymore emulators and the PSP 3000 will be impossible to get CFW on.... :(

Well, I was planning on buying at least 3 PSP 3000's for myself and family, however, if they block custom firmware I will not be purchasing them.

Shiesty
August 28th, 2008, 02:59
the nerds, oops i mean coders, that hack the psp want to be the first to accomplish it badly enough that they'll try their damnedest and find a way to

JLF65
August 28th, 2008, 03:02
... custom pirate firmware ...

As someone else mentioned, there's no such thing.

By some accounts, developers like Ready at Dawn and Capcom have lost more than 50% of their prospective revenues to software piracy. One estimate has software producers losing more than $4 million per week to piracy.

Those figures are clearly pulled right out of someone's @ss. Media conglomerates vastly inflate the problem, and always have. There's no more piracy on the PSP than any other system, be it a game console or some other media format. Even with piracy, they're raking in the money faster than they can blow it on mansions, drugs, and hookers. Given that, I have no sympathy what-so-ever.

Stone Temple Pilots
August 28th, 2008, 03:10
Sony, resistance is futile.

R4mbo
August 28th, 2008, 03:18
By some accounts, developers like Ready at Dawn and Capcom have lost more than 50% of their prospective revenues to software piracy

PFFFFFFFF
I think that more then HALF OF THE PSP GAMES are CRAP and not worth to buy! They throw out money to develope this shit and then blame it on homebrew and hackers and piracy if it doesnt get sold.

osgeld
August 28th, 2008, 03:36
4 mil a week?

really now, you can count the games actually worth buying on 1 hand for the entire year ... 4 mil a week in what magic beans

or piles of bullshit every lazy ass software developer that puts out crap on the psp

you dont sell crap, this is just an easy way to blame your piss poor sales on something else besides your piss poor software

andwhyisit
August 28th, 2008, 03:37
Man, Wraggster calling M33 firmware custom pirate firmware is really kind of insulting and harsh don't you think?

And then to downplay the ingenuity of the Pandora method to make PSP's homebrew-enabled by calling it an "attack" is also really harsh.
Note the source link. It isn't wraggster saying it.

midnitdragoon
August 28th, 2008, 03:38
i hope it stops future homebrew...we already have a large homebrew comunity we dont need it to be larger... Lets keep our homebrew population like this so we can get new stuff rolling. im not talking about features...just GAMMEESSS

I hope the new sony psp sells millions...doesnt get hacked...so that new and original games come out for it. Getting tired of playing old 10 year old games on psp...for gods sakes i know its fun to play mario bros but i wanna play something new and original and not something i can so easily do on the computer.

Im sorry i sound very unappreciative towards a lot of the coders. I really do enjoy homebrew but i feel like im not getting the MOST out of my system if the psp isnt getting as many new and enjoyable games as it should be.

cfw isnt killing the psp...just the piracy . unfortunatly thats associated with the cfw. The only thing i can and hope to see happening to the psp 3000 is that it CAN get hacked only if you physically mod it with another piece of hardware. This will definatly lower future piracy and make more programmers confident that their game will be sold and get some kind of profit from it.(i cant see myself or a casual gamer melding a piece of hardware to their psp..just the hardcore who are willing to risk physical damage to their systems)

solidsnake_8608
August 28th, 2008, 03:42
Yeah if developers didn't make shitty games, they wouldn't lose money, it's really that simple. Trust me, no one participating in piracy (which everyone has done, so don't act high and mighty, because you know you have at one point or another) is downloading shitty games anyways. Bottom line is; don't make a terrible game for a system infamous for terrible games, and expect them to sell.

And no, the magic 3000 will not stop hackers (although I believe the real term is "crackers")

midnitdragoon
August 28th, 2008, 03:46
Yeah if developers didn't make shitty games, they wouldn't lose money, it's really that simple. Trust me, no one participating in piracy (which everyone has done, so don't act high and mighty, because you know you have at one point or another) is downloading shitty games anyways. Bottom line is; don't make a terrible game for a system infamous for terrible games, and expect them to sell.

And no, the magic 3000 will not stop hackers (although I believe the real term is "crackers")

developers WILL lose games if the consumer has an alternative to buying the game. Why pay for a game when you can download it. If developers make a shitty game they loose money...but if developers make a great game they also loose money because people are still downloading(not everybody but im willing to say a good 75-90% of the people interested in that game that have psp with CFW.I pulled those numbers from my ass, but i feel confident with them). im guilty of the latter and feel very hypocritical saying this but its the truth.

edit-Hehe ill try to call them crackers more often =D

your right though....shitty games are not going to sell. Why arnt programmers trying harder? Maybe they feel they shouldnt put too much effort into a product that might get stolen anyway...so why not half ass it. Something has to be done to the future psp's. I dont care what it is...special code, hardware, whatever to make the psp harder to crack so that developers can feel more assured into the product they are making. Hell im a homebrew fan but even with my support to homebrewers out there i def see the lifespan of the psp shortening every day if the psp isnt protected from future piracy..

PoorKingz
August 28th, 2008, 04:14
Piracy is a huge problem for the PSP. It's so easy with downgraders and pandora. ISOs are only a few hundred megabytes and are easy to find, download, and use. CFW is well known. PSP is a really convenient platform for piracy. I hope the 3k prevents piracy. It has gone way to far. People just download games and say "It wasn't that good anyway. Time to download another one!" And this attitude is really hurting the PSP. Developers who invest in PSP don't expect great sales and keep the budget low.

osgeld
August 28th, 2008, 04:46
the good games are a gig, might take a month to bit torrent

flaminfox
August 28th, 2008, 04:52
its a goood thing i bought the battery kit, and as the articles say its say to hack the psp with this battery especially with the use of hellcat's pandora installer for 3.xx.

PoorKingz
August 28th, 2008, 05:39
the good games are a gig, might take a month to bit torrent

With good internet speed, it should only take a week, only a day if you have MS or RS premium accounts. And many people use smaller ISOs with movies ripped.

alanparker05
August 28th, 2008, 06:09
Developers are taking a load of crap when they say how much money they lost through piracy, all they do is add up how many people downloaded the game, then say that's how much they lost... but most of these people were never going to buy the game, so no-one lost any money, if i had to pay for all the software i have downloaded, all at second hand prices a rough estimate would be between 6 and 800,000 pounds, but you can't say anyone's lost that money

jamotto
August 28th, 2008, 06:50
Developers are taking a load of crap when they say how much money they lost through piracy, all they do is add up how many people downloaded the game, then say that's how much they lost... but most of these people were never going to buy the game, so no-one lost any money, if i had to pay for all the software i have downloaded, all at second hand prices a rough estimate would be between 6 and 800,000 pounds, but you can't say anyone's lost that money

Yep, who needs Morality these days. :rolleyes:

ish420ism
August 28th, 2008, 08:51
With good internet speed, it should only take a week, only a day if you have MS or RS premium accounts. And many people use smaller ISOs with movies ripped.

What kind of internet do you guys have? I can easily DL a FEW 1gb+ over night.
P.S. Dark Alex's CFW updates has been getting on wraggy's nerves. I've seen a few other post where he shows his discontent with DAX's piracy enabled CFW.

JLF65
August 28th, 2008, 09:06
What would be a good compromise is to use some of those unique idstorage keys as a private key and encode the ISO as it's dumped on YOUR PSP. That would allow you to make and play backups of your own games, but no sharing with others. I'd go for that... I don't download PSP games from the net anyway. I check the demos when they come out, and the reviews, then only buy the games I care about.

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
August 28th, 2008, 09:24
it is impossible to make a console that is not "hackable". There is always a way. :)

jrsmaster411
August 28th, 2008, 16:19
why do so many people on these forums try to make sony look like the bad guy just look at the title of this topic "Will the PSP-3000 Defeat Homebrew?" Their not trying to defeat homebrew their trying to stop piracy get it right

uberjack
August 28th, 2008, 17:24
it is impossible to make a console that is not "hackable". There is always a way. :)

True, but it is possible to make it very difficult. Case in point - Capcom CPS II. Took ten years to crack the system

osgeld
August 28th, 2008, 18:19

you could have a oc48, doesnt mean crap if the torrent is only seeding at 12kb

mike_jmg
August 28th, 2008, 19:02
4 mil a week?

really now, you can count the games actually worth buying on 1 hand for the entire year ... 4 mil a week in what magic beans

or piles of bullshit every lazy ass software developer that puts out crap on the psp

you dont sell crap, this is just an easy way to blame your piss poor sales on something else besides your piss poor software

you couldn't be more right man

poor software = poor sales = blame it on hackers and homebrew why we didn't got rich

jrsmaster411
August 28th, 2008, 19:08
piracy = poor software, most developers don't want to work on the psp because of the piracy problem, you sound like your defending piracy

tinman
August 28th, 2008, 19:53
A wise man once said, if it's good, people will buy it. People are getting sick of the "make it look better, over game play quality" attitude.

PoorKingz
August 28th, 2008, 20:01
PSP has many great games. However, great new releases are becoming rare. Why would developers spend the extra time and money on a product that thousands will download anyway? I looked up God of War on a torrent site. It has over 90,000 downloads. And that is just a fraction of total downloads of the game. How can you say piracy is not affecting softwares?

Qmark
August 28th, 2008, 20:05
Two months, maybe four. The fact that it still has to have the same basic framework as the 1000 and 2000 will be a liability.

Maybe the Lumines thing will "accidentally" open back up.

midnitdragoon
August 28th, 2008, 20:08
PSP has many great games. However, great new releases are becoming rare. Why would developers spend the extra time and money on a product that thousands will download anyway? I looked up God of War on a torrent site. It has over 90,000 downloads. And that is just a fraction of total downloads of the game. How can you say piracy is not affecting softwares?

people that say that piracy is a result of bad games and lack of good games are kidding themselves.

AdamRav
August 28th, 2008, 20:12
Would we really want homebrew on the new psp ??

we could use our psp slims and phats for that

dunno, look at the PS3, still not hacked, i don't see why the psp would be any different

jrsmaster411
August 28th, 2008, 21:31
people that say that piracy is a result of bad games and lack of good games are kidding themselves.

you got it backwards bad games are the result of piracy. Nobody wants to make a game for psp if everyones just gonna download it for free, hopefully nobody hacks this new psp and maybe developers will have faith in the psp and we start seeing more great games.

osgeld
August 29th, 2008, 01:55
you couldn't be more right man

poor software = poor sales = blame it on hackers and homebrew why we didn't got rich

thank you

piracy = poor software, most developers don't want to work on the psp because of the piracy problem, you sound like your defending piracy

i would agree with that but MY GOD there has always been the most half assed port of games for the psp

need for speed underground was the first game i bought, my judgement based on the pc version and the ps2 version

why the heck does the ps2 version have a story mode and the psp didnt????

thats like 80% of the game, cut the crap video cut-scenes (or atleast degrade their quality) to give us THE GAME...

pure ass

A wise man once said, if it's good, people will buy it. People are getting sick of the "make it look better, over game play quality" attitude.

i totally agree, i was tired of that crap on the PS1, final fantasy 8 did that to me

your looking at 1 single year old game that was the biggest thing to EVER hit the psp, what about the other hundred games released last year, that are now in the "4.99$" bargain bin

yes piracy does hurt, does it hurt more on the ps2 or the xbox where they had hits after hits after hits, or 1 game out out maybe 10 that was worth actually buying, and playing for more than a day?

Would we really want homebrew on the new psp ??

NO we dont

why ???

because then no game developer can blame their poor sales on piracy, and then they could look at what a crappy PS1 reject they made (simpsons game im looking right at you, you embarrass the ps1, and you control worse than a 32x)

-- ranting osgeld

jrsmaster411
August 29th, 2008, 03:22
Then tell me this, Why are psp sales going up and psp game sales going down? It makes no sense that theirs so many new psp owners that are not buying any games. Are you telling me all these people use the psp for music and videos only? We all no that's not true. They buy a psp and they buy a big memory stick and get their download on. Then they blame sony and all the developers for not spending more time and money on the games they make for psp.

osgeld
August 29th, 2008, 03:39
i did the exact same thing

i have bought 1 new game ever

i have a shit ton of music (that i own) and games (that i either own or are homebrew)

any other games i own that are sony licensed are second hand

oh they never count the used games in their list do they? why pay 49.99 for a 2 month old game that could be had for 19.99?

ignore where the sales are is very convenient, now were loosing 4 million magic beans in imaginary land every week

go ask gamestop how many $ a week they make on used games that never touch the developers hands, i bet its way more than 4 million

acn010
August 29th, 2008, 06:18
that's another issue

kiore
August 29th, 2008, 06:55
Im an old school retrogamer and run a well loaded mamepsp emulator and don't play nor intend to buy any of this new shit on the market, nower days every thing is cartoon related or based.
Man... I payed over NZ $300 for mine a few years ago now.
I had intended to use it for such uses and purched it for that reason
I mean sony got $300 out of me.
Hell I think were even.........End Of Story

Eviltaco64
August 29th, 2008, 07:28
I highly doubt it.
There will always be some sort of exploit, and Dark_Alex will probably hack it :D.

AdamRav
August 29th, 2008, 12:38
If Sony buy out DA

its game over for all of us haha

Spyzius
August 29th, 2008, 17:14
I think it would be better if PSP 3000 will never be hacked, think about it, today new psp games library is very poor, maybe if people start buy those games and run on psp 3000 maybe more good games come out for the PSP, I think psp Fhat and Slim is enaught for people who want homebrew

AdamRav
August 30th, 2008, 00:15
I think it would be better if PSP 3000 will never be hacked, think about it, today new psp games library is very poor, maybe if people start buy those games and run on psp 3000 maybe more good games come out for the PSP, I think psp Fhat and Slim is enaught for people who want homebrew

exactly

and with the Pandora (http://openpandora.org/) on its way aswell

we could play all the homebrew on that

R4mbo
August 30th, 2008, 21:15
Then tell me this, Why are psp sales going up and psp game sales going down? It makes no sense that theirs so many new psp owners that are not buying any games. Are you telling me all these people use the psp for music and videos only? We all no that's not true. They buy a psp and they buy a big memory stick and get their download on. Then they blame sony and all the developers for not spending more time and money on the games they make for psp.

Because I just buyed the psp because of homebrew... and buyed GTA Vice City stories because its worth it and buyed a movie UMD which I totally regret, it isnt worth anything, damned shit. No Homebrew would be no PSP for me. PSP3000 sales will stay low as long as there is no homebrew and no ultra-cool games worth to buy.