PDA

View Full Version : PSPVice v0.3 - Commodore C64 emulator for the PSP.

wraggster
November 23rd, 2005, 22:44
http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/files/PSPViceShot08.jpg

Kristof (http://perso.numericable.fr/~ckckck/C64_PSPVice.html) has released a new version of the Commodore 64 Emulator for the PSP, heres whats new:

V0.3 :

What's new :
- Sound !!! (Thanks to Pop Kid for Help)
- 333 Mhz mode is available in menu.
- New keyboard (by WiDDy)
- Add fullscreen modes (croppped / stretched).
- Smooth pixels option
- Support .tap and .prg
- Wider dead zone on analog joystick
- Add dark background behind menu

Bug fixed :
- Hang in menu corrected
- Entering menu pause game
- Select=Menu Start=Pause
- Listbox displayed in menu
- Shortcut SQUARE and CIRCLE disable when keyboard is on
- Analog stick is activated for both joystick at the same time
- Can go back for file explorer
- Sound stopped when in menu or pause.

What is still not working :
- problems with "true drive emulation" option (not working at all).
- some title are really slow (WOTEF D64 is very slow, WOTERF t64 is fast, strange)
- Using arrows is not easy for diagonals (analog stick is better)
- Sprites get stuck in walls in Paradroid (linked to SID emulation, random numbers)
- Some (perfectly working) disk images fail to load with "?LOAD ERROR"

Awesome news Kristof :), download Here --> http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/pspvice.shtml

DrSarcasmo
November 24th, 2005, 02:16
Thank you, Kristof for your hard work in getting this up and running! Also a Big Thank you to Pop Kid for getting the sound up and running. I ran this with Fanjita's 2.0 Eboot and it works a treat.

It's the hard work of you coders out there that keep the Homebrew scene alive.

Mad props to you guys for letting me relive my misspent youth again wherever I happen to be. Jumpman, Impossible Mission and Fort Apocalypse are worth the price of admission alone.

You Boyos are Da Best!

DrSarcasmo

ultros
November 24th, 2005, 02:19
yes, fort apokalypse works :)

thanks a lot!

Stenaf
November 24th, 2005, 02:58
Haven't had time to try it out yet, but big thanks anyway!

Kristof
November 24th, 2005, 08:31
Thanks a lot guys.
Glad to see you like it.

I played yesterday Mission impossible and Jumpan Jr, there are perfect.

Not tried Fort apacalypse, but I should soon, this is one on my favorite game (even if it is an ATARI game).

Check my page talking about best C64 games representative : http://perso.numericable.fr/ckckck/C64/C64-RealGames.html

SmashinGit
November 24th, 2005, 10:30
Thank you, Christmas has come early :) .

ed00
November 24th, 2005, 10:37
does not seem to work with loader 0.8 or 0.85 correction, it appears to be a problem not displaying the c64 screen - the pop up keyboard and menus work it only when you switch back to the game that you see black

Mr.Modem
November 24th, 2005, 17:41
Thanks for the update! This is awesome!

jaws365
November 25th, 2005, 09:01
Ah, emulator speed seems to work better after a while of using the emulator (strange). Last Ninja 1 stopped working at the beginning of level 3, any suggestions?

Kristof
November 25th, 2005, 13:27
No sorry.

ultros
November 25th, 2005, 14:30
at first, i thought the emulator is running too fast (333MHz), but it seems to be the NTSC-mode. when switched to PAL, the speed is normal (at least it is the speed i remember from 15 years ago :P ).
also i noticed that after (quick)loading a snapshot the sound is messed up or completely gone.
how do the snapshots work? i thought, it's just a C64er-RAM copy, isn't it? if yes, i don't understand this problem.

an .ini-file / configuration-saving feature would be great in the future.

keep up the good work :)

Grim_Reaper
November 25th, 2005, 17:31
I was starting to think this day would never come,Thanks mate. :D :D :D
My old C64 can stay in its box now and RIP. :cool:

BazzaLB
November 27th, 2005, 01:40
The speed still seems a little fast @ 333mhz on PAL or NTSC to me.

Trailblazer is too fast for one.

Also, soes anyone know how to get the "rotate right" working from the joystick for thrust... I have the same problem in winvice and have to use the keyboard, but thats not really an option with PSPVice ;)

urherenow
November 27th, 2005, 13:50
I was starting to think this day would never come,Thanks mate. :D :D :D
My old C64 can stay in its box now and RIP. :cool:

What day would that be? PSPVICE with sound? There's another PSP C64 emulator that has had sound from the beginning. The only problem I've personally had with it is that writing to disk images doesn't work completely. (.ie saving a game of below the root on a blank disk image [created by winvice on a pc] works, but hacking a game save of Below the root with a C64 hex editor and saving changes doesn't work. I have to copy the save back to my pc, hack it there, then back to the psp)

Don't get me wrong, I'm very pleased to see PSPvice progressing and WinVICE is the ONLY c64 emulator for me on the pc :) I also use the C128 emulator in the WinVICE suite, having programmed some music in basic as a (not so young) child...

Kristof
November 27th, 2005, 18:25
Thanks for comment.

The speed of emulator is still a problem, I know. I'll work a bit more on it. Someone suggested me to add a 266Mhz option. That' might help a bit (and this is something very quick to code).

I've also noticed the problem with snapshot and sound. I'll check it.

ultros
November 27th, 2005, 21:14
i tried a few games over the last days (always pal and 333mhz) and i noticed slow-downs in many games. even if not much happened in the game.
for example in giana sisters and kickstart 2 (both loaded from a .t64).

but kickstart looks awesome on the huge PSP screen :)

bodhee
November 29th, 2005, 01:52
Hi Kristoff-

Just wanted to say thanks for letting me relive my childhood c64 days on my psp.. quick question.. im a big fan of rpg's.. i was able to get curse of the azure bonds running fine by creating a save game disk using vice on my pc.. everything was fine until i tried to save.. would not take a save game at all.. when i checked the save on vice64 on my pc, it saved fine.. i tried to use snapshot to save my progress which worked. but when you shutdown the emulator and reboot, it gives you an error that snapshot failed to load.. anyways, though you might want to be aware of issues that have arisen..

Kristof
November 30th, 2005, 10:15
ultros > I've noticed also lot of slow down on game that are scrolling a lot of things (background or sprites). I'll check this.
You are right, games look awesome on the big PSP screen.

bodhee > The save feature for snapshot is not done. The snapshot save/load currently set in, is a "quick snapshot", it means, it is save into memory but not on memory stick.
Adding a real snashot save is one of my next task.

ultros
November 30th, 2005, 10:22
ah, it's so cool that you keep up working on this emu :)
the C64 is a great machine and it has almost infinite number of games.
so many memories...

Kristof
November 30th, 2005, 15:27
Yeah you are right.

I'm doing mainly it for myself. This is agreat motivation.

For the next feature, you can check the "wishlist" on my page :

http://perso.numericable.fr/~ckckck/C64_PSPVice.html

bodhee
January 16th, 2006, 17:03
Hi-

I love the emulator and have been spending alot of time with it.. Just wondering when we should expect the next release? I'd ove to be able to save game son some of the old C64 RPG games! Thanks..

trekkky
January 17th, 2006, 10:31
the most useful feature would be to allow the user to set the default directory where the games are stored, that way we could jump between psp64 and pspvice without having seperate copies of the games

bodhee
January 20th, 2006, 01:09
have to disagree with you on that one.. by far the most useful feature ios being to save snapshots and saves to mem stick.. then comes the "true drive emulation" for those old ea games..

ultros
January 20th, 2006, 02:05
yes, savestates would be awesome.
the best portable C64 emu i have ever seen is GP2Xvice. it runs with true drive as default, full speed at 200MHz. and it seems to have higher compatibility as the original vice.

the emu is open source, so...

bodhee
January 25th, 2006, 03:45
wow so that sounds like close to 100% compatability..thinks its worth getting a gp322 just for this?