PDA

View Full Version : Patent Trolls Suing Sony, Want To Halt PS3 Sales

wraggster
August 29th, 2008, 12:58
You know, sometimes these patent suits are justified. The Immersion stuff, that's fair enough, because Immersion actually make things that rumble. It's what they do. Stuff like this suit, though? It does little but take the piss. Orinda Intellectual Properties USA (the name says it all) have, on August 20, filed a suit against Sony, Sony Electronics, Sony Computer Entertainment and Sony Computer Entertainment America. They claim that the PS3's Blu-Ray drive (as well as other Sony BD players) violates a patent Orinda hold that relates to...storing data on a disc. Not only are the patent trolls asking for "a reasonable royalty", they want the sales of all Blu-Ray devices across America to be halted.

Good luck with that.

http://kotaku.com/5043333/patent-trolls-suing-sony-want-to-halt-ps3-sales

Sonicboy 101
August 29th, 2008, 13:07
Lol.
They're just looking for any reason just to sue Sony. Seems desperate to me

Darksaviour69
August 29th, 2008, 13:42
there are a lot of companies out there now, that just buy old patents from debunked business, and then look to see who they can sue. There really has to be a shake up on patent laws

Sara-chan
August 29th, 2008, 14:04
A patently ridiculous company.

Napalm-Death
August 29th, 2008, 14:38
Possibly hired by...Microsoft? J/k

Brainy142
August 29th, 2008, 14:42
... Are you fing kidding me "storing data on a disc"....

Tomorrows headline everybody must pay to make a sandwich because stupid company patented the making of a sandwich.

DCRich
August 29th, 2008, 20:13
a patent for "storing data on a disc"...

****ing retards, sony and JVC invented the CD, so already stored data on a disc. stupid american ****tards like that make americans look bad as a whole. sorry for the language, but this pisses me off.

By the way, nothing against americans, as I have relatives that are american, nothing but love for you reasonable people south of the border.

Eviltaco64
August 29th, 2008, 20:35
This is ridiculous.
All these patent holders bitching.

Rbman
August 30th, 2008, 00:22
Sony will send the ninjas, and they (Orinda Intellectual Properties USA) will never be heard from. again.

F9zDark
August 30th, 2008, 00:39
This is the sad truth of the sorry state of affairs of our copyright/patent system.

I can make a patent for just about anything, so long as it isn't so overtly copied from another to send up red flags, I can then sell it to a company like Orinda Intellectual Properties for a nice sum and wait for them to strike it rich, by you guessed it, the US civil law system.

This company has nothing; they have not the means to do anything about this, nor do they have the capital to take Sony to court in the first place, because in a Suing War, Sony WILL win.

Same as that company that sued for Blu-Ray's reflective material about a year ago.... Considering nothing has been heard since, I assume Sony managed to swamp them in so much court fees and attorney fees that they went belly up...

Darksaviour69
August 30th, 2008, 01:04
usally these patent holding comes are just a team of lawyers, and the whole business plan is based on finding patent they can sue on. It might that a while but I'm sure this will come to court (or will have settled with a lump sum of money)

Ultima Chocochu
August 30th, 2008, 06:05
Wow, that's the dumbest thing I've heard in a while XD
People waste our money in the courts doing such meaningless things >.<