PDA

View Full Version : PSP-3000 Battery Life Decreased By 20-30 Minutes

flaminfox
August 29th, 2008, 16:15
http://exophase.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/psp300011.jpg

Speaking in a recent interview, Sony Computer Entertainment America product marketing manager John Koller revealed that the battery life of the PSP-3000 will be decreased by 20-30 minutes, due to the larger power draw of the brighter screen.

"Battery life will decrease by a small amount, it’s about 20 minutes maybe 30 minutes and that’s because there’s a larger power draw with the brighter screen."

Good news is, despite previous reports to the contrary, the PSP extended battery life pack is not being discontinued and will be available to consumers this holiday season, offering 8-10 hours of play time.

ICE
August 29th, 2008, 16:54
Yuck.

Shrygue
August 29th, 2008, 19:39
A 20-30 minute decrease in the runtime is almost nothing to me, prefer being able to see what's on the screen more. Besides, that extended battery pack would balance it off just fine with more power to the console.

ojdon
August 29th, 2008, 19:58
http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06/10/game_consoles/image/slide7.jpg

I see that Sony are ruining yet another product of the "Playstation" Franchise.

newb_fo_life
August 29th, 2008, 19:59
I knew somthing like this would happen but its well worth it,But Im not buying a bright

Fr0sTy
August 29th, 2008, 20:35
psp phat, psp slim, now psp bright. so fitting!

flaminfox
August 29th, 2008, 22:07
It's also been confirmed that the Slim will be phased out eventually. Koller says production of the PSP-2000 will cease by September. Already?! If you're a collector of sorts, better make sure you grab a Slim unit ASAP!

ab9003
August 29th, 2008, 22:28
Wow another 30 minutes shaved off my PSP battery? That would make my PSP last a whole hour of hardcore snes gameplay..woohoo.

Buddy4point0
August 29th, 2008, 23:25
It's not really bad considering how much better the screen is.

mike_jmg
August 29th, 2008, 23:40
Lol

jamotto
August 29th, 2008, 23:52
That is not bad at all, and it is also good to hear that they will bring back the extended battery.

noname1
August 30th, 2008, 00:45
And i wanted to buy a psp-3000 screen and place it in my psp slim. (if it's possible)

Veskgar
August 30th, 2008, 02:51
Excellent! So if the Stamina battery will still work on the PSP Brite, I wonder if Pandora might someday work. It would need a new and improved magic memory stick I gather and not sure if that would be possible to create.

Also unfortunate that the Slims are going out of production. So Sony, should we expect to have to buy a new PSP EVERY YEAR? When the PSP Brite is released, it will be about exactly 1 year since the Slim has been available.

I hope to encourage everyone in the PSP scene to donate a little bit to a developer of their choice on October 14th. I hope this new PSP causes a strong new interest in making the PSP homebrew scene even better.

bah
August 30th, 2008, 06:31
Its not as though they'll force you to have the screen on maximum brightness all the time.
Set it to a low level that's equivalent to a current one and it shouldn't draw more power (unless the back light is less efficient as well as having brighter settings somehow). The faster response time shouldn't make much of a difference, transitioning the pixels takes a lot less power than the back light in a display.

I guess a really bright display is normally easier to look at outdoors in the sun.
Do many people here ever play using the 4th brightness level on a fat PSP (the one that was originally only available when running from mains power)?

I bought a DS lite because the dull fat display really bothered me, but I have the lite on the 2nd lowest brightness setting.
You have the option to go mega bright and kill battery life, you don't have to use it (the higher levels even hurt my eyes in low ambient lighting).

acn010
August 30th, 2008, 06:43
will suck big balls for those who can't afford a 50 dollars extended battery lol

jaws365
August 30th, 2008, 10:51
Battery life is important on handheld, and I always run my phat on 333 mhz. I think I will will buy a Slim/Lite instead when the price drops just to get TV-out.