PDA

View Full Version : iCall: The First VoIP AppStore App

wraggster
August 30th, 2008, 20:21
It isn’t very often that an application comes around that redefines a platform, more often than not the platform redefines the applications. It is even less often that an application redefines an entire industry. Fortunately for us our passion is in the iPhone, a platform that, thanks to the developers jailbroken or official, constantly evolves and is redefined. On this permavolving platform there is a vast opportunity to redefine industries as well.

Today I had the opportunity to peer into the next evolution of the iPhone and the next evolution of VoIP. I’m not talking about the shady pseudo functioning implementation of Skype from fring – not that those guys aren’t great, I just very rarely had a working call – I am talking about the next step in VoIP technology as a whole – iCall for iPhone.

I’ve been working with the iCall crew for a couple of weeks now, starting out trying to get them to let me in with ad-hoc distribution. I talked with Arlo their CEO about why it has taken so long since we first saw the video back in June. At the time he told me that the applications in the AppStore where really more like applets and not industrial applications – he assured me that this would not be the case with iCall. I have to tell you, the man didn’t lie. There is no reality distortion field here just an absolutely incredible application.

The first time you open the application you’ll be asked to pick a get a free local number to make and receive calls using the application. For me I chose one close to my new apartment, although you could pick one in a different location if need be. Once you’ve got your number go in and enter your cell number which assists in making the switch from cellular network to iCall’s VoIP.

http://www.modmyifone.com/forums/news/316841-icall-first-voip-appstore-app.html