PDA

View Full Version : PSP Firmware v2.60 Released

wraggster
November 29th, 2005, 07:53
Sony have done it again and released a new firmware update, is this because of the rumours of the exploit in v2.50 or some great new feature :)

Heres what plungmonies (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69887#post69887) posted in our Submit news forum:

Sony has released an update to the PSP’s firmware. The new version, v2.6, adds support for the WMA codec in Music, RSS feeds in the web browser — including podcasts, and downloads of video data that supports copyright protection (via the browser). Other small language tweaks were also made. The update is currently only available through the PSP’s Network Update option and requires 18MB of space — Sony’s official Software Update page does not yet reflect the new version.

PSPVault (http://www.psp-vault.com/Article381.psp) also posted this news about the new firmware:

Network

Added RSS function.
Added Volume Adjustment to LocationFree player
Simplified Chinese (GB18030) and Traditional Chinese (Big5) added as character sets
Can now download movies from Electronic Music Distribution services directly to the Memory Stick Duo.

Music

Windows Media Audio added as supported format. WMA9 Professional, WMA9 Lossless, and Windows Media Audio with Digital Rights Management are not supported.

System

Windows Media activation added *requires connection to the internet

For those who install it tell us what you think, remember you CANT RUN HOMEBREW OR EMULATORS ON THE NEW FIRMWARE

jwilds73
November 29th, 2005, 08:27
There is no way I am upgrading my PSP ever. Only if Sony decided to release its own emulators for the psp allowing me to play my roms then I might. Though this would kill other Homebrew apps atleast I'd have my emulators for my other systems. It looks like the GP2X will be the way to go for Homebrew without having to combat the manufacturer to run the programs we want.

vincesecuricor2005
November 29th, 2005, 10:59
ARSE!, no more upgrades im tirin of this war (i went to 2.00 recently to play GTA), what next???

Hacker3.0
November 29th, 2005, 12:29
rss is awsome. there is no more security

Stew2000
November 29th, 2005, 12:46
I'm going all the way, SCREW HOMEBREW!, Thats what my PC is for!

Cap'n 1time
November 29th, 2005, 14:28
rss is awsome. there is no more security

what the hell do you think RSS is? its just news feed support. It has nothing to do with security. Explain this logic. Perhapes you mean somthing else?

Podcast support sounds nice... I wonder if MPH loader will support it. ( Ill let you be the first to try ;) )

caythos
November 29th, 2005, 14:52
I'm going all the way, SCREW HOMEBREW!, Thats what my PC is for!
ya but my PC is very not protable, and it requires external power. I was at a LAN party last weekend and the power died, so me and my friend played nes and snes games on the psp for a wial and then were social while others played while we waited for an hour for it to come back on. To me that was priceless.

Mr.Modem
November 29th, 2005, 15:33
what the hell do you think RSS is? its just news feed support. It has nothing to do with security. Explain this logic. Perhapes you mean somthing else?

Podcast support sounds nice... I wonder if MPH loader will support it. ( Ill let you be the first to try ;) )

I think he mean that RSS is nice and that the new firmware doesn't have any new "security" against homebrew than 2.5. No need to flame!

Cap'n 1time
November 29th, 2005, 19:21
I think he mean that RSS is nice and that the new firmware doesn't have any new "security" against homebrew than 2.5. No need to flame!

It wasnt meant to be a flame. Sorry if It came out that way.

cool avatar btw Mr. Modem.

Heran_Bago
November 30th, 2005, 06:35
ya but my PC is very not protable, and it requires external power. I was at a LAN party last weekend and the power died, so me and my friend played nes and snes games on the psp for a wial and then were social while others played while we waited for an hour for it to come back on. To me that was priceless.
So what they don't make "protable" PCs. What would they call those anyway? "Laptops"? And if you couldn't run homebrew on your psp. You'd be screwed. It's not like the console is actually DESIGNED for commercial games or anything. ;)