PDA

View Full Version : may have to cancel DS preorder

sully
October 27th, 2004, 09:55
http://www.techjapan.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid= 629&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

PSP is goin to be huge - 4-6 hour battery life and $200?

Man it was always going to be better than the DS games capabilities wise but this finishes the competition for me if this story is true

I had a preorder on lik-sang.com for the DS but me thiks ill have to cancel that!

anyone else changing their views?

quzar
October 27th, 2004, 10:08
4-6 hours battery life you consider good?

???

wraggster
October 27th, 2004, 10:17
thats really bad

Kron
October 27th, 2004, 10:52
Is it a good idea cancelling an order for something that is trying to innovate and give a different play mechanic in comparison to what is basically a portable ps2 offering more of the same of what we already have?

There are many other factors to think about... The finalised price of the PSP software hasn't been announced plus its still up in the air about region lockout.

Aren't you getting a bit carried away over tech specs?

wraggster
October 27th, 2004, 11:07
For me the Nintendo DS is the winner, ive preordered one and i cant wait to get my hands on the baby.

xennie
October 27th, 2004, 11:09
Kron makes an excellent point. I myself am getting both although I see myself using the DS much more. It is such a cool concept which I think that my girlfriend, and non gamer friends would find so interesting and fun when i show it to them.

I also agree with the point that the PSP software seems to just be more of the same, and as I have a ps2 (and dont play anything on it but FF/Silent Hill/GTA games, i find fighting and most racing games to be quite boring actually) I am not that drawn to the PSP lineup yet.

To each his own, but cancelling DS for a japanese psp (which might be region locked, you deffo wont be able to get non jap games in the near future) seems foolish to me.

wraggster
October 27th, 2004, 12:06
Nintendos Innovative ideas will mean the DS will win through, it will be interesting if the press (those with no brains) hail the PSP as the king of consoles.

MetaFox
October 27th, 2004, 12:08
Nintendos Innovative ideas will mean the DS will win through, it will be interesting if the press (those with no brains) hail the PSP as the king of consoles.Heh, more like those with Sony money-lined pockets. :P

It's no secret that alot of media *cough*GamePro*cough is bribed by big name companies to enhance hype for their shoddy products.

wraggster
October 27th, 2004, 12:18
well we all know the story of when the ps2 was released and the stupid hype machines

quzar
October 27th, 2004, 13:19
Is it a good idea cancelling an order for something that is trying to innovate and give a different play mechanic in comparison to what is basically a portable ps2 offering more of the same of what we already have?

There are many other factors to think about... The finalised price of the PSP software hasn't been announced plus its still up in the air about region lockout.

Aren't you getting a bit carried away over tech specs?

That depends on wether or not someone wants a portable PS2 or something different. Some people might just want a portable PS2.

Kron
October 27th, 2004, 13:37
Judging by how close minded and oblivious to new ideas people are it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Cap'n 1time
October 27th, 2004, 18:56
Hell, if i can i will buy both. I love video games and i dont really give a rats ass what company does what, however, I will always hold a soft spot for nintendo and sega in my heart. I must admit I would buy another nintendo product before any other. I have never had a problem with any of their systems, and I trust them to create something new and innovative every generation. I bet nintendo will still be around when I am old.

sully
October 28th, 2004, 06:48
yeah im a bit of an old school straight up gamer :)

I'm so tired of playin my GBA especially after playin xbox games all day, it seems only games playable on it that are any fun are all nintendo games and puzzle games!

so when i heard DS was €150 and region free i jumped at the chance to be able to play n64 type games on it - that was fine with me, but since i cant afford the 2 systems i'm now willing to wait for the psp :D

i reckon 4-6 hours is decent enough - for me anwho, thats all my GBA lasts for at this stage of its life!

make no mistake, i would love to get my hands on the DS since the wait to play what i consider decent games on a handeld has now been increased, but i reckon the DS will only be really good for rts, rpg type games - not my favourites! I mean i would rather play the ps2 version of spider man 2 than the 2d offering of the DS.

each to their own eh? :)

law56ker
October 28th, 2004, 07:09
well we all know the story of when the ps2 was released and the stupid hype machines
Hype should be expected when the psx delivered such a great gaming experience. Same as the n64 experiences after teh snes. The ps2 had a slow start but imo now deliveres the most balanced game experience and yet again has the best library of games.Nintendo still has it's amazing token games, mario, zelda etc, but they fail to deliver a full gaming experince anything like the snes or psx did. You call it hype or whatever, but i'm sure if it was a nintendo console selling the best you whouldn't make such lame comments. Maybe nintendo should get there head out of there ass and deliver a snes gaming experience on there next system and actually support online gaming, which they foolishly shunned this time around. Imagine mario kart online, f-zero, pokemon etc.

Mental2k
October 28th, 2004, 12:49
oldschool gamer

spider man 2 on ps2
doesnt your second statement negate your first?

Anyway, nothin will topple Ninty from the top of the portable market. As for handheld remakes of popular consoles, gamegear and nomad ring any bells?

milfzor
October 28th, 2004, 13:40
all i wonder is this.....is sony gonna fail again and once again make a REALLY shoddy first batch of systems? if i buy a psp, i will wait till they figure out what broke their first few sets of them....look at the ps1 and ps2 systems for example...ps2 for example has had (not including the new small model) like...nine versions of the system.....something is screwed with a company if they have to release that many versions of a system so it doesnt break within a matter of 2 or 3 months...

sully
October 29th, 2004, 02:55
yeah spider man 2 is a newer game on an OLD system if you know what i mean - a new game in old shool guise! by old school i mean simple games - only thing i'd use DS for would be 3d platformers, FPS's, Action games etc.. not really into the touch screen - maybe if i try it tho i may change my mind!?

I bought a ps2 when it first came out so have a version 1 console - still runs like a charm, although admitedly it did get less play once i bought an xbox

as for nintendo staying on top in the handeld market, look what happened after the snes ???

anywho, what i really want is just a powerful handeld capable of playing current generation games ;)

quzar
October 29th, 2004, 07:22
im finnally getting a GBA in a week!!!!!!!!!!

Cap'n 1time
October 29th, 2004, 15:57
im finnally getting a GBA in a week!!!!!!!!!!

I shouldnt laugh... but that was funny.

That did turn the wheels in my head a bit. The GBA is a resonably powerfull system capable of emulation of alot of old systems. The price drop of the GBA may just help out the GBA homebrew and emulation scene, while we wait for the DS people to start work. Its a shame the resolution is so crappy on the GBA though. I would love to see a Neo Geo Pocket emulator and if possible a CPS1 some day.... and of course a more optimized SNES emulator.

quzar
October 29th, 2004, 16:14
I shouldnt laugh... but that was funny.

That did turn the wheels in my head a bit. The GBA is a resonably powerfull system capable of emulation of alot of old systems. The price drop of the GBA may just help out the GBA homebrew and emulation scene, while we wait for the DS people to start work. Its a shame the resolution is so crappy on the GBA though. I would love to see a Neo Geo Pocket emulator and if possible a CPS1 some day.... and of course a more optimized SNES emulator.

I said it cause its funny =P. When the GBA was new i still had my nomad which was excellent for portability and such. When that finally broke, a friend ended up lending me a GBA for a few months, then I just didnt care for a while, but someone offered to sell me one for 50$ (with an afterburner installed). I also ordered a 512Mbit flashcart and maybe ill try my hand at some devving for the thing ;).

CPS1 not possible on the gba. Without frameskip or underclocking I get a total of ~10fps out of it on DC. I could probably double that, but that is still a far reach from fullspeed.

Eric
October 30th, 2004, 01:16
to see you doing work on GBA i might have to buy one of those flashcarts for my GBA

scrabbus
October 30th, 2004, 07:24
A little item you guys may not be aware of, the 4-6 hours is an estimate from an unknown source, HOWEVER, sources close to sony reckon that for movie playback its 2-3 hours and for games its 3, its also HEAVILY rumoured that the PSP WILL be delayed until summer or autumn 2005 due to developers having probs with the dev kits, all rumours I know but the news on the NINTENDO front are all rosy, they are now officially the most profitable jap game company ( SHARE PRICE) for the 3rd year running, they havnt done anything since the snes????? I would laugh out loud I just cant be arsed. Anyway its been a whil since my last post but a large shout out to all the guys, wraggster, quzar et al, you know who you are hehehehe, keep up the grovy work.

Cap'n 1time
October 30th, 2004, 08:13
I said it cause its funny =P. When the GBA was new i still had my nomad which was excellent for portability and such. When that finally broke, a friend ended up lending me a GBA for a few months, then I just didnt care for a while, but someone offered to sell me one for 50$ (with an afterburner installed). I also ordered a 512Mbit flashcart and maybe ill try my hand at some devving for the thing ;).

CPS1 not possible on the gba. Without frameskip or underclocking I get a total of ~10fps out of it on DC. I could probably double that, but that is still a far reach from fullspeed.

That seems like a good deal, however, I imagine you could get an SP out of someone for the same price, and if I am not mistaken ( and i am alot so dont take my word for it) the GBASP has better battery life. Not only that but its a bit more compact and it just looks cooler imo.

It's a shame that CPS1 isnt a real option for the gba. I am sure quite a few other machines included in MAME would function great. I just cant believe that no one has put any effort in for NGP.. I guess there is some kind of problem with it or somthing.

quzar
October 30th, 2004, 09:35
That seems like a good deal, however, I imagine you could get an SP out of someone for the same price, and if I am not mistaken ( and i am alot so dont take my word for it) the GBASP has better battery life. Not only that but its a bit more compact and it just looks cooler imo.

It's a shame that CPS1 isnt a real option for the gba. I am sure quite a few other machines included in MAME would function great. I just cant believe that no one has put any effort in for NGP.. I guess there is some kind of problem with it or somthing.

I think the SP looks like a compact (you know, girls makup thinger) and the fact that it uses a proprietary battery makes me cringe since i cant just pop in some AAs. If I wanted to improve battery life I could go out and get some spiffy LI-io batery too, but i'm not gonna. That and I find the buttons a bit compact for me even (and i have tiny hands).

Kamjin
October 30th, 2004, 11:42
I think the SP looks like a compact (you know, girls makup thinger) and the fact that it uses a proprietary battery makes me cringe since i cant just pop in some AAs. If I wanted to improve battery life I could go out and get some spiffy LI-io batery too, but i'm not gonna. That and I find the buttons a bit compact for me even (and i have tiny hands).

The battery also worries me.. more like what happens when you can't find them anymore

SP has an advantage over the screen not getting scratched as easily. The controls.. what's the word.. contact is better.. but I've got big hands. So it really is too small.. but it does fit nicely in the pocket..
Normal gba take a little too much pressure to move the controller.

Althogh the Nomad, and GG are still the top of my list for comfort.. especially the GG.. gotta petition Nintendo for an adult sized GBA version!

Cap'n 1time
October 30th, 2004, 11:58
The lack of a headphones port is also a minus. I remember when i got my flashcart i had plans to turn it into a media player... that kind of got shot down.

BlackAura
November 1st, 2004, 01:59
The SP actually does have a headphone port, but you need an adapter to actually plug some headphones into it. I can't imagine why they did that, because a standard headphone port would have been smaller, and probably cheaper to manufacture.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/gameboyadvance_sp/headphones.jsp

Kamjin
November 1st, 2004, 18:44
I can't imagine why they did that, because a standard headphone port would have been smaller, and probably cheaper to manufacture.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/gameboyadvance_sp/headphones.jsp

Tell me about it.. and the adapter is in the way if you're older than 12..

richb14
February 5th, 2005, 19:22
Quote: as for nintendo staying on top in the handeld market, look what happened after the snes.
The DS isnt the PSP's competition, the DS is Nintendo's 3rd pillar, somthing completely different! The GBA2 is the PSP's competition. and shame on you scully, you'd rather have somthing with flashy tech's than comthing with originality and innovative features