PDA

View Full Version : MahJongg Wii v0.4

wraggster
September 2nd, 2008, 22:26
JustWoody (http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_apps/MahJongg_Wii)has released v0.4 of Mahjongg Wii.

heres whats new:

MahJongg Wii is a Mahjongg solitaire tiles game written specifically for the Wii, developed with devkitpro and using the GRRLib for rendering, sndlib for music and sound, and wiiuse for wiimote.

v0.4
(02Sept2008) The game in shuffle mode, also notice a different tile layout (butterfly), the new count of matching tiles remaining, selectable tiles slightly lighter that unselectable ones and new true type style font for time, etc.

Download and give feedback via comments

WiiBoe
September 3rd, 2008, 07:15
cool i love it!!

justinswood
September 3rd, 2008, 08:03
Heres a more complete list of the changes in v0.4:

* Added multiple tile layouts (four to start with) (re-wrote tile engine to handle this)
* Added shuffle option when no more tiles pairs left
* Added an icon and count of the number of available matching tiles during the game
* Made the non-selectable tiles slightly darker that the selectable ones so easier to see
* Added a gong sound to the start of the game
* Added new true type font for all non static text (tile layout names, time in game, etc)

The_Ultimate_Eggman
September 3rd, 2008, 08:55
Thanks Justin my GF loves this keep up the improvements...

The_Ultimate_Eggman
September 4th, 2008, 13:27
Any chance a background randomizer can be added in future builds to change say every 5 mins adding own pics to a directory etc and own music if possible..

justinswood
September 4th, 2008, 14:58
Any chance a background randomizer can be added in future builds to change say every 5 mins adding own pics to a directory etc and own music if possible..

Sounds like some good ideas, I should be able to add options to do both of these things at some point. I will add them to my todo list.

The_Ultimate_Eggman
September 4th, 2008, 16:40
Thxs dude !!! I know a good gfx artist if you need some done to get going (currently working on some projects)...Pm me if needed

sean.aaron
September 4th, 2008, 16:46
If there was any way to use the music from the GBA Shanghai Advance that would be cool -- there are some great tracks on that cart.

justinswood
September 4th, 2008, 18:48
If there was any way to use the music from the GBA Shanghai Advance that would be cool -- there are some great tracks on that cart.

Music is one of the main areas that I am looking out for good material (has to be in MOD format though). Unfortunately, any commercial material is copyrighted so I cannot use it :(, but if you (or anyone) can find some suitable non-copyrighted MODs it would be very good.

justinswood
September 4th, 2008, 18:52
Thxs dude !!! I know a good gfx artist if you need some done to get going (currently working on some projects)...Pm me if needed

Cheers for the offer, currently, DayDreamOz from wiibrew has been doing a good job of the graphics, although always open to good people - I'll get back to you if I need any extra graphics

The_Ultimate_Eggman
September 4th, 2008, 19:22
No probs Justin good to see your getting support on this project....Also another idea for a later date a simpler tileset aimed @ children my 8 year old was itching to give it a go lol.....

justinswood
September 4th, 2008, 19:29
Also another idea for a later date a simpler tileset aimed @ children my 8 year old was itching to give it a go lol.....

I definitely want a few more tilesets + a simple one is on the agenda (Although my child (15 months) might be a to little - she does like the wiimotes though).

Actually, this is one area that I could do with some extra graphic support. The talk page of the Mahjongg Wii homepage has got details of what format I need them in, if your mate would make some for me that would be great :thumbup:

http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/Talk:MahJongg_Wii

sean.aaron
September 4th, 2008, 19:55
No probs Justin good to see your getting support on this project....Also another idea for a later date a simpler tileset aimed @ children my 8 year old was itching to give it a go lol.....

My five-year-old is getting the hang of them because we use my Mahjong set to do Shanghai (I have printed out a few patterns to use) and play memory games (only using half the tiles; even then it's quite difficult).

whYeNQue
September 5th, 2008, 05:01
<3

this is great. my brew time is mostly mahjongg time.

i'll try and get my 7 yr old nephew to sit and play with me since my bro is hardly around at the moment.

sean.aaron
September 5th, 2008, 07:18
Now, will anyone have the skills to program the AI for a "proper" (i.e. not Shanghai) Mahjong game?

justinswood
September 5th, 2008, 08:47
Now, will anyone have the skills to program the AI for a "proper" (i.e. not Shanghai) Mahjong game?

I'm thinking about doing this Sean, although the todo list on the mahjongg solitaire game is pretty long at the moment so I probably won't get to it for a while

sean.aaron
September 5th, 2008, 09:23
I'm thinking about doing this Sean, although the todo list on the mahjongg solitaire game is pretty long at the moment so I probably won't get to it for a while

Really, that's excellent. I didn't want to assume you even knew the rules to the game (although which rules to use will be an issue right out the gate -- I'd expect Riichi, since it's the most popular version in Japan and therefore the world), let alone have the ability to program the AI (though I expect it would be easier than doing the AI for a game of Go).

Koei has a Mahjong game for the Wii, but given that my system is in a bad way presently and I can't even get the Sunsoft Shanghai game to load, I'm not keen to throw down for it -- besides something in English would be nice for those of us that don't speak Japanese.

I've been a fan of Shanghai (solitaire Mahjong) for a long time and have had a Mahjong rule book and tile set for a couple of years now. It's only in the last month that I've finally decided to learn the game; I ran my first Japanese Mahjong games in MAME last night and I like it better than any video card/board game I've played before.

justinswood
September 5th, 2008, 10:10
let alone have the ability to program the AI (though I expect it would be easier than doing the AI for a game of Go).

Sean, I've done AI for a backgammon and tic tac toe games in the past. With different methodologies used - purely rules based, learning behaviour, etc. - so shouldn't be too much of a leap :)

sean.aaron
September 5th, 2008, 10:20
Sean, I've done AI for a backgammon and tic tac toe games in the past. With different methodologies used - purely rules based, learning behaviour, etc. - so shouldn't be too much of a leap :)

Groovy! I wrote Sunsoft about the fact that they're planning a WiiWare Shanghai title for Japan and said they should do a worldwide release. They replied that they hadn't considered that (and given that previous releases like Shanghai Advance never came out elsewhere I don't think they would have); how ironic that one of the first Wii Homebrew titles should be that very thing!

justinswood
September 5th, 2008, 10:57
Yeah Sean, you'd have thought that given the low distribution costs of WiiWare it would be pretty much automatic. I suppose they have to consider whether it would be worth the globalisation costs.

I don't want to do anyone (SunSoft) out of making money as this is the only reason why we have consoles is the software. But, I think there should also be a place for homebrew - I did a google search for Mahjongg Wii and found a number of site in Japan that had it on, so they haven't got a free run there either (although just in English at the mo)

sean.aaron
September 5th, 2008, 13:48
I would still probably buy any SunSoft WiiWare release, though frankly your Homebrew release has the potential to take off and have a life of it's own once you get the level editor (or better yet some kind of file format to make it more platform neutral) so people can create and trade their own patterns, as well as tilesets and backgrounds.

I imagine SunSoft has the potential of having some very cool downloadable content and music as well; good thing is I don't feel as deprived now (plus I still have the disc game to check out)...