PDA

View Full Version : FrodoWii Update

GPF
September 3rd, 2008, 20:52
Been playing around with FrodoWii lately have added some routines to play around with how the emulation is working, right now I have only implemented gamecube controler, press left trigger and it does the simple
10 PRINT"HELLO WORLD"
20 GOTO 10
RUN
which runs forever :)

and if you press the start button on the controller, it loads a hardcoded .prg file, right now I have been testing Bruce Lee, but for some reason sound isn't working yet. I did a compile of the source against devkitPPC R14/libogc and was able to run it under an older gc emulator, so I could get this screenshot. But I have also tested it on hardware, kind of cool to be playing Bruce Lee on my TV again.

Hopefully will have time to release a updated test binary and the source code soon.

Troy(GPF)

http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk/FrodoWiiBruceLee.jpg

wraggster
September 3rd, 2008, 20:59
ooh awesome. want me to make a wii news forum so that this news shows up on the wii site too ?

GPF
September 3rd, 2008, 21:24
ooh awesome. want me to make a wii news forum so that this news shows up on the wii site too ?

Yeah that would be great, maybe change my PSP forum to Wii, since I have never had a chance to do any PSP coding.

Thanks,
Troy

wraggster
September 3rd, 2008, 21:29
already done :)

want me to get rid of the psp forum or just hide it for now ?

btw this forums news/releases show up on the wii and dcemu sites :)

GPF
September 3rd, 2008, 21:34
already done :)

want me to get rid of the psp forum or just hide it for now ?

btw this forums news/releases show up on the wii and dcemu sites :)

I guess just hide it, I might code for the PSP someday :)

wraggster
September 3rd, 2008, 21:43
is the wii as easy as the ds to code on ?

Riffer
September 4th, 2008, 09:50
Really GREAT news!

i23098
September 4th, 2008, 21:50
Disclammer: I'm new to Commodore emulation...

if you press the start button on the controller, it loads a hardcoded .prg file

2 questions:
- Hardcoded .prg filename, or hardcoded in the binary?
- I have some files in .tap format, is it possible to convert, or must find roms in .prg?

Hopefully will have time to release a updated test binary and the source code soon.

:thumbup:

Waiting for a new release to test it :D

Sektor
September 5th, 2008, 09:26
is the wii as easy as the ds to code on ?

As far as coding goes it is almost as easy but testing is much harder since Wii emulators are much further behind than DS emulators. Testing on hardware is easier on the DS since you don't need a TV/sensor bar/controllers and it's much easier to bring a DS to a PC than it is to bring a Wii. I'm sure dedicated Wii coders will have a Wii next to their PC all the time but not every coder can afford that.

At least the Wii has a built-in SD slot, so you don't have to worry so much about compatibility on different flash devices but coders have to make sure their game works on PAL50, PAL60, NTSC, component and RGB. There is a standard for rebooting/relaunching your code and sending by wi-fi on the Wii. You can do those things on the DS but some techniques don't work on all devices/wi-fi cards.

GPF
September 6th, 2008, 02:09
Disclammer: I'm new to Commodore emulation...

2 questions:
- Hardcoded .prg filename, or hardcoded in the binary?
- I have some files in .tap format, is it possible to convert, or must find roms in .prg?

Waiting for a new release to test it :D

Right now its hardcoded in the binary, but there are utilities that can extract a .prg file from a .tap and other formats if I remember right, I think its called Star Commander. But my plan is to try to get .d64 support working before my next release, if not i'll at least get .prg loading from a hardcoded name.

Troy(GPF)

Riffer
September 6th, 2008, 21:26
I hope your final goal is a full blown version of frodo with the possibility to select a .prg or a .d64 file fom the sd card and a virtual keyboard and support of wii remote and/or classic controllers as replacement for the good old c64 controllers? :o

You are doing a great job btw! If I had your programming skills I would like to support you, but I am only a noob in C++ and totally unknown to Arm processors.

Riffer
October 9th, 2008, 11:54
GPF, are you still alive?

AzeveL
October 9th, 2008, 20:41
wooooooooooooooooow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but work only in WII?
not work in GameCube?:-(

FGOD
October 14th, 2008, 19:09
any updates?

Riffer
October 21st, 2008, 21:41
Nothing new for a long time... is this good or bad news?

GPF
October 28th, 2008, 07:56
wooooooooooooooooow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but work only in WII?
not work in GameCube?:-(

Sorry, been extremely busy lately at work and haven't had time to work on any homebrew coding for last couple months. Just finished the project at work so hoping it will be slower for a little bit.

I just updated my libogc etc and have finally started looking at the code again so will see how it goes over the next couple weeks.

Right now I am only using the gc controller so as far as I know there is no reason it wouldn't work on the gc, but I don't own a gc anymore and have no way to test gc homebrew on my wii, but my last test build/screenshot was done on a gc emulator so its should be technically possible.

Troy(GPF)

FGOD
November 29th, 2008, 19:27
i hope everything goes well... cause all the c64 channels i am making takes a shitload of work...

spinal_cord_
June 17th, 2009, 20:39
it's been a lllooooooonnnnnnnggggggg time, is this project still alive?