PDA

View Full Version : Samsung UK exec says Blu-ray "has five years left"

wraggster
September 4th, 2008, 16:21
While we can't say if it represents a general sentiment at Samsung or not, the company's UK director of consumer electronics, Andy Griffiths, sure went out on a bit of a limb in a recent interview with Pocket-lint, with him saying that Blu-ray has, to paraphrase David Bowie, only "five years left," and that he "certainly wouldn't give it ten." He did say, however, that he thought 2008 would be Blu-ray's year, adding that "it's going to be huge", and that Samsung is "heavily back-ordered at the moment." As for Samsung's future after Blu-ray's supposed demise, Griffiths seems to think that OLED will be the next big thing, and he's pegging 2010 as a possible date for it to become mainstream and replace LCD. He didn't offer a prediction as to when it will die out though.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/03/samsung-uk-exec-says-blu-ray-has-five-years-left/

Mc_Logical
September 4th, 2008, 16:43
Interesting, I wonder if ps4 will be OLED? or ain`t I gotta clue what im on about? lol

Triv1um
September 4th, 2008, 18:05
Isnt OLED those new type of TVs that are coming out?

The uber bright ones that are uber thin?

I too did think about this, but it will take a while for OLEDs to come into play.

JLF65
September 4th, 2008, 23:05
Yes, OLED is a TV technology and has nothing to do with recording technology like DVD or BD. The guy is clearly an idiot... in other words, your typical PHB.

Triv1um
September 4th, 2008, 23:20
Yes, but you can see where he is coming from.

If the new TVs come out, that have a extremly high res, and there is nothing that can use all of that technology a upgrade will be needed.

But still, that will be in many many many years. LCDs still have alot of juice in them, and also even if the OLED screens do come out, blu-ray will still hold. Blu-ray hasnt even closly took over DVD yet. So the transitions take way too long for this to be possible.

Mc_Logical
September 5th, 2008, 04:13
Isnt OLED those new type of TVs that are coming out?

The uber bright ones that are uber thin? What I said before I edited lol

ElRazur
September 5th, 2008, 08:36
How did he got his job? There is no correlation between a disc and a technology used on tv...Or am I missing something?

iniquitous_beast
September 5th, 2008, 13:36
He seems to be regarding blu-ray as a fad. Apparently from his mindset, blu-ray needs to go out of style before OLED televisions can come into style.

Technology is not like the fashion industry. Blu-ray will continue to grow in popularity until something overwhelmingly more awesome enters the media storage segment of the market. OLED will expand within the television market as its prices fall and its first-gen flaws are improved upon.