PDA

View Full Version : Widescreen DS refresh on the way?

wraggster
September 5th, 2008, 00:44
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2008/09/9-04-08dsmock.jpg

Nintendo might be cranking out new DS Lite colors left and right, but IGN says something bigger's brewing in Kyoto -- a third iteration of the DS with dual touchscreen displays, one of them widescreen. Those are pretty significant changes, so we'd actually say that sounds more like a second-gen DS rather than another rev of the current hardware, but IGN says the rumored release date of April or May 2009 doesn't jive with a whole new unit. We'll see when we see -- hopefully we won't be waiting long.

PS.- That's just IGN's mockup, don't get too excited.

via engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/04/widescreen-ds-refresh-on-the-way/)

masterchief929
September 5th, 2008, 02:03
meh... i have heard this rumor multiple times.

gutbub
September 5th, 2008, 02:13
Haven't we already seen this? I think it was back in May or sometime around then. Then everybody said that Nintendo couldn't use that design, as the artist was a dick. Still looks cool though.

unholy3000
September 5th, 2008, 02:22
comon guys this is extremely old XD they just took the iphone and photoshoped it or someshit like that XD you guys are funny to believe this garbage

lmao

puslar_t
September 5th, 2008, 02:25
Any significant alterations to the handheld and it's automatically a full-fledged successor, meaning that even if backwards compatibility is there it has to be marketed as a new gadget (e.g. DS2)

ICE
September 5th, 2008, 02:33
comon guys this is extremely old XD they just took the iphone and photoshoped it or someshit like that XD you guys are funny to believe this garbage

lmao

That picture is just an example... No one thinks its a real ds..

iofthestorm
September 5th, 2008, 03:10
A DS2 would be nice, it's been a while and the DS could use a bit more graphical horsepower. Dual touch screens would be useful too.

royvedas
September 5th, 2008, 04:52
I hope the old games, if backwards compatible, won't have the graphics forcably stretched on the widescreen. My eyes are eternally displeased with image stretching.

wiggy fuzz
September 5th, 2008, 08:19
give it an OLED screen, or one that doesn't wither in bright sunlight...

Auriman1
September 5th, 2008, 17:41
give it an OLED screen, or one that doesn't wither in bright sunlight...

Agreed. That's one thing that has bothered me about both the DS and PSP, their low tolerance of outdoor lighting. Also, widescreen doesn't matter to me, but it could be troublesome, and slightly larger screens would be a nice alternative (I still prefer playing GBA games on my original GameBoy Advance compared to the DS since the screen's slightly larger, and it can be played in sunlight without problems)

RustyMG
September 5th, 2008, 17:51
As masterchief929 says, this is old news that has been played to death - keep news relevant please.

wraggster
September 5th, 2008, 18:49
i would like one you could play in sunlight, bloody annoying when you cant.

wider screens would be great i suppose but is a dual touchscreen needed or neccessary ?

Dragonic
September 6th, 2008, 11:44
I want them to make a new console! I don't want a remake, because that's not necessary. I want them to make a new handheld with a new hardware that's way more powerful than the DS. If they can make the graphics better, increase the memory, new processors that are much more powerful, and things like that. A new harware, if you want to say it short. I hope they make a new console and not just a remake...

masterchief929
September 6th, 2008, 17:50
I think Nintendo should release an open source beefed up version of the nintendo ds, but that will never happen. :/