PDA

View Full Version : DCEmu Ask its Members #2 What Name Would You Change This Network To ?

wraggster
September 5th, 2008, 22:47
DCEmu has grown into a network much bigger than i envisaged back in 2004, i had been doing websites since around 2002 if my memory serves me right and whilst DCEmu is a very well known name worldwide it sometimes doesnt capture the fact that we are a site that cover Homebrew, Hacking, Development, Gaming and Hardware News for Consoles and More.

In private we have been considering the renaming of DCEmu, now some factors have to be took into account, most importantly the availability of domain names, almost all 3 and 4 and even 5 letter .com domains have already gone, most i might add by companys who buy just to sell at silly prices.

But we also want a name that grabs you by the goolies and says what we are, now to be honest for over a month we have not come up with one decent suggestion.

So if any of you have an idea for a new name then please post it, in the end we may never find a suitable name but if we dont try we will never do.

So please post away.

juiceface
September 5th, 2008, 23:09
I think the name is fine, it's going to hard to find a suitable domain that encompasses a description that everything this site is about. A name like homebrewhackingallconsolesnewhardware.com will be to complicated. I think the elegance of dcemu.co.uk is fine.

WhizzBang
September 5th, 2008, 23:29
It is hard to come up with a name that really defines what this site does and is snappy, so I say don't bother. Either leave it as it is or go for something that in no way gives any clue as to what the site is about (e.g. Zophars Domain).

icecoolwas
September 5th, 2008, 23:32
ConsoleHackz.com???

Shrygue
September 5th, 2008, 23:36
I think we should just leave the name as it is, can't think of any other name that would this website.

Dull Blade
September 5th, 2008, 23:40
I think leaving it as it is pays respects to the sites heritage. The name as it is just stands out, putting console or hack or mod in its name will blend it in to the crowd and cause it to loose some of its uniqueness.

Shadowblind
September 6th, 2008, 00:29
Wondered this a bit, since the "emu" part seems to be frowned upon by most of the mainstream game companies. The best part is that the "emu" part is also which makes this site far more unique then most other rising games sites.

Idunno. DCEmu is fine, and maybe the translation will be lost some day? Who knows, maybe if the site does become more mainstream then the name should change. I think getting rid of even more things that could be seen as "pirate" related(without sacrificing the core homebrew) would be the first step though.

Justise
September 6th, 2008, 01:07
I also think that DCemu is fine and sort.
If you want to change it that badly, here are some names:
CDEmu.com
EmuDC.com
DCemu.net
Umecd.com
Lets get serious...
Emuinf.com
Emubell.com
Emuworld.com
IntoEmu.com
Emufruit.com

Anger
September 6th, 2008, 01:16
changing the name will cause headaches in more ways than 1 - people might forget the new name so you lose users. you would also have possible problems with the sub domains etc. - i say if it aint broke why fix it?
with this in mind i have a single name idea that could be expanded upon.
cgnewsnet.com which would be console & gaming news network. i thought of chnewsnet but that doesnt have the same ring to it (console & hacking news network - not as snappy imho).
this is all i can think of that would best describe the site as it stands now, but i would still be sad to see the dcemu name gone. i first came here because of the dreamcast so it holds some memories for me. anyway i shall respect your descision as it is yours to make either way - ill still be here for a while.

fg-54
September 6th, 2008, 01:31
dcemuworldwide
universalemu
UGN (universal gaming network) jk
IGM (informative gaming movement) jk
worldofbrew

kevro
September 6th, 2008, 02:47
www.outofthebox.co.uk

www.breakthebox.co.uk

www.consolephoenix.co.uk

camcorderdoctor
September 6th, 2008, 03:12
TheBrewNetwork
BrewNetTastic
HouseOfBrew
BrewPlanet
PlanetBrew

MichaelA
September 6th, 2008, 03:27
Since it seems like many people think the name shouldn't change (and I tend to agree), perhaps you just need to do some "rebranding" of the name and image.

Obviously the "dc" stands for Dreamcast, but maybe instead of coming up with new site names you should think about new meaning for the current name. Play with the semantics a bit.

Development on Consoles and Emulation
The Dirt on Consoles and Emulation
Defenders of Console Emulation
Discerning Consoles and Emulation
Distilling Consoles and Emulation

You get the idea... Anyhow, it's just a thought.

darthclone
September 6th, 2008, 04:00
i read a post eierlier with world in it and i think this is good.

EmuWorld.co.uk
dc world.co.uk
unitedworldsemu.co.uk
Bonus level.co

kcajblue
September 6th, 2008, 04:05
man, dcemu has always been dcemu to me and thats what i think it should stay.
dont change the name.
keep it the way it is.

silverstein101
September 6th, 2008, 04:09
cgnewsnet sounds nice

but i still like dcemu

but i can see why'd you change it. either way, i'm still here

Cerepol
September 6th, 2008, 04:29
homeofhomebrew.com
thebrewstew.com (I like this one catchy and easy to remember)
h
emuspot.com

I do see what you mean by DCEMU no longer doing the site justice on the literal meaning but as it's gotten engraved you could just keep it as a legacy name that no longer means anything but is just the title that stuck.

Nintendo Maniac 64
September 6th, 2008, 04:41
Since it seems like many people think the name shouldn't change (and I tend to agree), perhaps you just need to do some "rebranding" of the name and image.

Obviously the "dc" stands for Dreamcast, but maybe instead of coming up with new site names you should think about new meaning for the current name. Play with the semantics a bit.

I think this guy has the right idea; I really like the first name suggestion. (Development on Consoles and Emulation)

osgeld
September 6th, 2008, 05:31
unleashedconsole.blah
unlockedgamer.blah

consolemu.info

dunno im not really good at names heh

Eviltaco64
September 6th, 2008, 05:37
I wouldnt touch it.
DCEmu does cover all console scenes, but the dreamcast was the console that breathed new life into the homebrew scene, and without it, this site obviously wouldnt of existed.

royvedas
September 6th, 2008, 07:11
How about "www.sponsoradspostedasnews.com?

ZeakStarwind
September 6th, 2008, 07:29
Since homebrew is becomming more advance than when it was since the Dreamcast had come along ways of emulation. I believe that we can still keep the name, but it should literally be rephrased.

This is what I think it should be.

Developer's Homebrew Emutopia

DHEmutopia.net

I actually like it in my honest opinion, but that's the decision of DCEmu. *May sound strange, but catchy*

imnotgerman
September 6th, 2008, 08:05
TheBrewNetwork
BrewNetTastic
HouseOfBrew
BrewPlanet
PlanetBrew

I think Planetbrew is a great idea. It captures everything that this site represents, and sounds really catchy. "Planetbrew? Hmmm... Sounds cool, I'll check it out."

Axelius
September 6th, 2008, 08:23

Leaving the name alone and just changing the translation was also my idea. But I've always been bad at finding backronyms, but I like Development on Consoles and Emulation.

ojdon
September 6th, 2008, 10:39
The name is perfectly fine, to be honest, what would be the advantage of changing it?

dejkirkby
September 6th, 2008, 11:50
I don't think it should be changed at all.
DCEmu is DCEmu.

devdj
September 6th, 2008, 12:01
news.houseofprojects.co.uk
or
emu.houseofprojects.co.uk

with each console before news and emu like this
psp-news.houseofprojects.co.uk or
pspemu.houseofprojects.co.uk

gutbub
September 6th, 2008, 14:23
I'm confused. Most people didn't want the logo changed, so why would those same people want the name changed? Oh, they don't. Neither do I.
The name is fine the way it is. It's short and sweet, something people can easily remember.

mike_jmg
September 6th, 2008, 14:52
What's wrong with DCemu, I like it

aztekkid
September 6th, 2008, 15:43
i think it should be
myroflcoptergoesSOISOISOIS.gov

or dcemu.co.uk :p

wolfmanz51
September 6th, 2008, 16:55
Emulationdomination.com Its not taken as far as a google search go's and Its what you do you guys are the best emu homebrew source

masterchief929
September 6th, 2008, 17:43
OHHHH!! I have a good one!!! why dont we keep it DCEMU!!! :p i just like its current name. :)

____anders____
September 6th, 2008, 19:55
that is some really weird suggestions xD
just leave it :)

masterchief929
September 6th, 2008, 20:54
i think that if we change it i might cry. i like dcemu! it is the best name ever. forget all the other suggestions! WE LIKE DCEMU!!!

gamesquest1
September 6th, 2008, 21:43
how about jamiegallagher.info its for sale for £1 million pounds mwah ha ha or maybe poopmobile.com or crapbusters.org or org.org or foremussake.com or howmanyseriousgoodideasareyouexpecting.org or ask sony nintendo and microsoft what they would like you to be called they should come up with afew great catchy titles like goaway.org and maybe how-dare-you.co.uk ohh this is kinda fun maybe you should see if you can buy microsoft.co.uk nintendo.co.uk or sony.co.uk they should be cheap enougth

wed5366
September 7th, 2008, 01:43
you should change the dark blue out line to something brighter!!!!!!!!!!

<<<<<<<<<<<<<===============>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

!OK!

TidusWulf
September 7th, 2008, 05:00
like it how it is

goity
September 7th, 2008, 20:43
homeboob.net
Cemu.co.uk
muDeC.co.uk
wraggstersdomain.co.uk

Triv1um