PDA

View Full Version : Review: R4SDHC R4 SDHC Revolution DS SLOT-1

bandit
September 6th, 2008, 18:10
R4SDHC R4 SDHC Revolution DS SLOT-1
Manufacturer: R4 (awaiting confirmation)
Site: Buy from Colourful Zone (http://www.colourful-zone.com/Store/product_info.php?cPath=41_44_100&products_id=261)
Price: $42.99

http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa112/dcemureviews/th_r4sdhc1.jpg (http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa112/dcemureviews/r4sdhc1.jpg) http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa112/dcemureviews/th_r4sdhc3.jpg (http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa112/dcemureviews/r4sdhc3.jpg)

Overview : The R4DS is the current top-of-the-line in DS SLOT-1 flash carts. It is just an amazing little device like original DS cart size, it is a complete solution with no need to purchase any additional components or deal with any messy software and truly the easiest media enhancer you have ever done; To simply put it, this is a must have peripheral for any regular DS/DS lite owner.

However, does the R4SDHC work just as well? Is this the cart that everyone has been wanting?

Features :
2nd Generation Storage Device (no booting tool required)
Flush fitting Slot 1 Card
Uses microSD/microSDHC Memory Card (supports memory size up to 32GB), FAT16 or FAT32 File System
Supports any microSD/microSDHC Memory Card speed without lagging in game
Supports Clean ROM, drag and drop. Works on any OS
Built in NoPass
Automatically detect save type
Save directly to microSD Card, not to onboard chip
Supports Moonshell and other homebrew. Open I/O interface
User friendly skinnable interface. Touchscreen or button operation
Supports rumble pak and memory pak
Supports the WiFi game, DS Rumble Pak, DS Browser
Supports changes of the background of Operation Interface
Supports 4-scale-lightness adjustment (DS Lite only)
Supports Soft Reset
Supports Moonshell 1.6 Software Reset Function (press START key back to the R4 Menu)Quality/Usability : Rumors have been circulating the web that R4 is done for thanks to Nintendo or that R4 is still alive and kicking. There are even reports of the R4 Team releasing a new R4 that supports SDHC but at the same time, R4 has told me that there is no plan for SDHC support.

So in my hands, I have a R4SDHC. Images have been floating on the web of this product along with a couple of different websites that seem to be fake. The URL on this packaging is http://www.r4sdhc.com. The site looks identical to R4's (www.r4ds.cn). There are some stuff that looks different between the two sites and the email on R4SDHC is a Gmail account. My contact at R4 has a "@r4ds.com" email. This makes me wonder if this truly is real or not. I know majority of people will probably call this a fake and I'm not denying it or agreeing with it. Coloruful Zone does state that this is the real deal.

In the mean time while people ponder whether this is real or not, we want to know if it works just like the original R4 but with SDHC support.

When it comes to the cards physical appearance, there is no difference with the exception of the sticker now containing a SDHC logo. The same stuff is included just like the original R4. However, this time its missing the installation CD. It still comes with USB microSD card reader, silicone DS cartridge keychain holder and a strap. Since no CD is included, you can download the latest firmware files at R4DSHC's website (http://r4sdhc.com/download-en.htm) or here (http://linfoxdomain.com/nintendo/ds/). As of this review, the latest version is 1.21.

The R4SDHC cartridge size is identical to that of the original R4DS cartridge. The microSD card is inserted through the top of the cartridge and fits flush with the cartridge. The microSD slot is not spring loaded so you will have to manually pull it out.

If you are familiar with R4 or any other flash cart, setting up the R4SDHC is the same. Simply downloaded the latest firmware, extract the file and transfer the files onto the microSD or microSDHC and thats it. Adding ROMs and Homebrew is simple. Once you have the microSD/SDHC card inserted into the card reader and the card reader connected to the computer, its a simple drag and drop. You'll need to setup two folders, one for your DS games and one for your Homebrew files.

The firmware or looks exactly the same. There is no difference in it. You'll still have the touch screen for selecting mode and folder. But when it comes to navigating through the list of games and files, you'll need to use the directional pad and "A" button to select. Upon loading of OS, you are given three options; GAMES, MULTIMEDIA and BOOT SLOT-2. When GAMES is selected, the file browser is located on the top screen. This is where all your selecting is done.

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/1361/svistav2previewpj2.png

All it takes to change the look of the OS is four simple images and placing it into the "_system_" folder:
logo.bmp -- Background of the Top Screen of R4's startup.
icons.bmp -- Background of the Bottom Screen of R4's Startup.
bckgrd_1.bmp -- Background of the Top Screen of R4's Explorer.
bckgrd_2.bmp -- Background of the Bottom Screen of R4's Explorer.Note:
Do not change the picture's name;
Make sure the picture is .bmp format, 8-bit/24-bit;
Make sure the picture is 253*192 pixels.

Testing the R4SDHC with commercial ROMs that I own, it works the same as the R4. There was no difference in functionality at all except that I can now store more games and homebrew on a single microSDHC card. Here is a list of compatibility list, go here (http://wiki.scorpei.com/index.php/R4_compatibility_list). Even though this is for the original R4, the same applies for the R4SDHC.

Testing of homebrew worked flawlessly for most programs. There were only a couple that I encountered that did not work for me. The compatibility list link above will also give you list of homebrew files that work and dont work.

R4SDHC includes Moonshell which allows you to play multimedia files on your DS. In order to watch movies, you must use DPG tools (PC Software) to convert the files to a format Moonshell will recognize. Playing a movies is a nice feature to the R4SDHC but the quality will not compare to that of the PSP. Playing MP3s is a nice addition as well and plays flawslessly.

Conclusion : Overall, the R4SDHC R4 SDHC Revolution DS SLOT-1 works just like the original R4DS. There is no cosmetic change to the cart itself. There is no longer a spring in the microSD slot so you will have to manually pull the microSD card out. Functionality and compatibility is the same and nothing has changed except that you can now use microSDHC. I only tested this with a 4GB microSDHC but it is stated to work up to 32GB microSDHC.

Whether this is real or a fake, the bottom line is that it works. It may or may not be from the R4 Team (confirmation pending) but there are many other flash carts that is a clone of the R4 and they work just as good. For the price of $43, I feel this is overpriced for an outdated product. Yes, it now has microSDHC support but the UI (user interface) is the same. Its bland looking and there is no true touch screen navigation. So if you swear by R4 and only want R4, you may want to take a look at this if you're looking for SDHC support.

Please note that none of the "upgrade" products listed in this site are endorsed by Nintendo, Sony and/or Microsoft. DCEmu Reviews and DCEmu Network does not condone piracy. The primary functions of a "modchip" and/or "flashcart" are to allow you to play imported games and homebrew software that you legally own or simply just for experimenting with hardware. We in no way endorse piracy, and encourage all users to do the right thing and support the developers/manufacturers that support them. We do not take any responsibilities for any use outside of these parameters or where the use of such a device is illegal.

Images via comments

gutbub
September 6th, 2008, 19:28
"DCEmu Network does not condone piracy"
I'm confused. How can you say this, and yet in the picture, the games list are all commercial roms. This is a homebrew site, but there isn't one piece of homebrew in that list. You guys send out mixed messages.

bandit
September 6th, 2008, 20:56
"DCEmu Network does not condone piracy"
I'm confused. How can you say this, and yet in the picture, the games list are all commercial roms. This is a homebrew site, but there isn't one piece of homebrew in that list. You guys send out mixed messages.
Image is a mockup of what a skin can and would look like. Just because it shows commercial ROM, it does not represent what we do.

Predator
September 6th, 2008, 21:42
This is another one of those fake clone R4 cards, official R4 cards do NOT support MicroSDHC memory sticks.

If all the rumors are true about the next R4 firmware bricking cards/DS', this one will have that problem also.

I just want people to be aware. :)

The Official "Where's a Safe Place to buy an R4?" Thread (http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:5FG6AU2f6gAJ:www.r4ds-forums.com/viewtopic.php%3Ff%3D38%26t%3D1182%26st%3D0%26sk%3D t%26sd%3Da+www.r4ds-forums.com/viewtopic.php%3Ff%3D38&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5) The forum seems to be down though, so this is a google cache link.

kz_se7en
September 7th, 2008, 03:20
I thought m3ds real was the best one, even better that r4sdhc r4

bandit
September 7th, 2008, 04:25
This is another one of those fake clone R4 cards, official R4 cards do NOT support MicroSDHC memory sticks.

If all the rumors are true about the next R4 firmware bricking cards/DS', this one will have that problem also.

I just want people to be aware. :)

The Official "Where's a Safe Place to buy an R4?" Thread (http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:5FG6AU2f6gAJ:www.r4ds-forums.com/viewtopic.php%3Ff%3D38%26t%3D1182%26st%3D0%26sk%3D t%26sd%3Da+www.r4ds-forums.com/viewtopic.php%3Ff%3D38&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5) The forum seems to be down though, so this is a google cache link.
Yes, I know that R4 does not support SDHC but according to affiliate, this is the real deal. I have emailed my contact at R4 but have not heard a response.

I have been testing this R4SDHC for the past week and no problems with it. Works and looks exactly like the R4...just with SDHC support.

Harshboy
September 7th, 2008, 05:24
I just ordered a N5 Revolution which is a clone of the R4DS.

I know that they can blow a fuse but I don't really care seeing as I can fix it. Nothing beats a $13 Flashcard.

I've also seen some R4 cards called R4 Advance that have SDHC support. I think they're clones.

gutbub
September 7th, 2008, 15:20

I'm not sure about that. I have a M3Real DS, and recently, it killed my micro SD card.

bah
September 8th, 2008, 12:51
I'd go for a DSTT over a N5 myself.

More recent OS, SDHC support, about $16.

EDIT: Now $12 at DX.

j0nnyc0llins
September 10th, 2008, 18:59
i own an R4SDHC, and i can't get it to work
what did you do to get it working

Joe88
September 17th, 2008, 00:16
the R4 SDHC is a clone cart
so is the R4 vIII and R4 Advance and there also another one as well

they are not made by the R4 team
the official R4 has stoped production, the team got sued and is gone
many clone teams have popped up but most where figured out before they did any damage

the N5 and Mars cart are also clones of the R4
except the N5 can brick your DS due to it has a high chance of blowing the capacitor in the DS for some reason

get a DSTT if you need a cheap cart, but also watch out for clones
many DSTT clones have popped up now

bah
September 17th, 2008, 10:02
The clones (gold dot) work fine with DSTT OS 1.15 (the current one).
The only issue is that the DSTT team have threatened to make the next version of the OS either incompatible with the clones, or even 'burn' the MicroSD.

I would think the best they could do is to corrupt the card.

DSTT OS 1.15 has better compatibility than the most recent R4 OS, so theres not really any reason to choose a more expensive R4 clone over even a fake DSTT.

You can get the real DSTTs (in the new plastic packaging, not the box) from Dealextreme for $12 once they are back in stock in a few days. The ones in the boxes are clones.

I have 2 fakes and 1 real DSTT, all work great.

keen_player
November 14th, 2008, 07:11
Hi all,

i am someone who can tell of all the best deals currently on the net for nds accesories. Look out for my posts :):thumbup:

keen_player
November 14th, 2008, 07:14
Just came across a great deal from this china based web site for R4 DSHC Card with 4GB memory card (http://www.bigboxstore.com/r4-sdhc-revolution-slot-1-cart-for-ds-sdhc-support-for-ds-microsdhc-with-4gb-memory-card.html) Its actully one of the best deals around guys. Check it out

Cheers:thumbup:

Hedgehog661
November 19th, 2008, 21:43
Hey guys, I just bought this card from deal extreme and I have tried loading all kinds of different software but each time I try playing it sticks at the loading screen.

Any suggestions? I'd really appreciate it, waited 3 weeks for it to get here and now it wont work >.<

Hedgehog661
November 19th, 2008, 21:52
Nevermind, the software from linfox worked perfectly

JayKay
November 25th, 2008, 14:40
I have an R4SDHC card with a Sandisk 8gb card. I cannot complain about the R4 card as it works perfectly whether it is fake or real. Have been in lots of sites and seen all the anti R4 postings but to be honest for the money its a blinding piece of kit. Is a little fiddly to start with but once you know what to do its a doddle :O)

The only issue I have is that I can only get 4gb of files to show when I load it in my DSL. I am aware that this is an issue but was just wondering if anyone knows a way to work around this??

Hoping there is someone out there who knows how to work some magic ;O)

posh-Sassy
November 25th, 2008, 22:58
Hello, I'm new and need help. I'm not techy at all and need to buy a r4 kit for my daughter for her DS/ Needs to have all the bits with it, including software as i'm abit of a numpty on findng how to download files - it's took me all evening to get on here !!! There are so many out there ! what's that all about!::confused:

posh-Sassy
November 25th, 2008, 23:00
Hi Ken,

Please tell - I need the lot, dont have a thing! where where where . Is that the software too. Need it to be user friendly i'm not that strong on downloading....

Cobra-King
December 24th, 2008, 16:57
i would throw my r4 away cus the ds-xtreme is alot easier to use trust me i got one of both of thoose and its just alot easier and u can get a 16gb dsX

falcon64
December 27th, 2008, 17:00
I have an R4SDHC card with a Sandisk 8gb card. I cannot complain about the R4 card as it works perfectly whether it is fake or real. Have been in lots of sites and seen all the anti R4 postings but to be honest for the money its a blinding piece of kit. Is a little fiddly to start with but once you know what to do its a doddle :O)

The only issue I have is that I can only get 4gb of files to show when I load it in my DSL. I am aware that this is an issue but was just wondering if anyone knows a way to work around this??

Hoping there is someone out there who knows how to work some magic ;O)
Try reformatting your flash card using an allocation unit size (cluster size) of 32K and reload all your files.

ed_vedder100
January 17th, 2009, 13:26
Hi, if anyone could help me would be much appreciated. My R4 came without a CD. So i downloaded the latest update on the R4 website, and put that on my 4gb micro sd along with a few roms and tried it in the DS. all that came up was a loading screen and it stayed on that. what have i done wrong? im not exactly a tech genius btw so i've probably made a schoolboy error... any ideas?

ste
January 28th, 2009, 20:26
Hi, if anyone could help me would be much appreciated. My R4 came without a CD. So i downloaded the latest update on the R4 website, and put that on my 4gb micro sd along with a few roms and tried it in the DS. all that came up was a loading screen and it stayed on that. what have i done wrong? im not exactly a tech genius btw so i've probably made a schoolboy error... any ideas?

Try this one:

http://www.yall.net/r4-iii-v3.08-kernel-english.html

JushinLiger
February 6th, 2009, 21:28
I'm almost certain that the R4 SDHC lite is a fake.

The cartridge is a lower quality compared to the official R4 card. But then we are talking about a device that has the primary function of playing pirate games.

I have had a bit of trouble booting it sometimes. The best bet to over come this is by removing the SD Micro card properly when it's linked the your computer.

Another problem that a friend has suffered, is that his DS battery died whilst the R4 SDHC was saving and the DS hasn't loaded the card since.

That said, it seems to work fine, you just need to be a bit more careful with it. I also found the new website that hosts the firmware.

http://www.r4super.com/ - Again, another point that makes me think it's a fake is that the site is identical to the R4 site. If the R4 team DID develop this card, wouldn't they advertise it and have the software on their main site as apposed to a new site?

Megatron222
July 5th, 2009, 01:57
Ok so I ordered one of these from deal extreme the other night. Does this work good???

maryvazq
July 7th, 2009, 17:38
I had mine since last year and it works fine.
I have version 1.18. with an 8gb card.

Is there any thing new out there?
Why Can't I Personalize it with Themes?

I don't even have a themes folder...!!!

I have seriously consider downgrading to a previous version to see if I can change themes.

What any of you recommend...??? :thumbup:

Luv2Spelunk
July 20th, 2009, 21:17
The R4SDHC card I just got is slooooow loading roms and can only access 4GB memory card. I have an 8GB card (purchased as a bundle) which becomes corrupt if more than the first 4GB is used. I've adjusted cluster size to no avail. It just won't access more than 4GB of memory. Modchip sites will sell the R4SDHC bundled with an 8GB card without realizing that it will only handle 4GB. The manual for this product (http://www.r4sdhc.com/product-en.htm) admits this misleading fact stating that "R4 Adapter supports 128MB~4GB TF(MicroSD) card , 4GB=32Gbit " The cart can take up to 1 min. 48 sec. to load a 64MB rom.

jean
January 17th, 2012, 03:52

yes, but the price is much higher than R4i sdhc.

aria99
June 8th, 2018, 18:45
Hi.
i own an R4SDHC, and i can't get it to work
what did you do to get it working.

VampDude
June 9th, 2018, 13:28
Hi.
I own an R4SDHC, and I can't get it to work.
What did you do to get it working?

You need a Micro SD card, then you visit the website (I'm not linking it) on the label of the cart to download the necessary files for the mSD root. But in case you've missed it, or your cart just doesn't have a label... Here's a picture of my cart, where I've kindly highlighted the address you'll find your answer.

jeansoto
December 4th, 2019, 18:24
muchas gracias amigos, me sacaron de mis dudas

BrunoGedesh
January 12th, 2021, 10:04
Try this one:
Can you please tell me how to use these instructions?

Shrygue
January 12th, 2021, 17:54
Old thread is old as hell

Closed