PDA

View Full Version : GxGeo - Neo-Geo AES/MVS emulator for Nintendo Wii

wraggster
September 7th, 2008, 17:21
Dont get too excited this isnt a release but blizzo (http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/GxGeo) is working on a new NeoGeo Emulator for the Nintendo Wii.

Heres what he has wrote so far:

GxGeo is a port of the open-source GnGeo emulator, originally coded by pepone. This is a Neo-Geo AES/MVS emulator.

Development Log
05/09/2008 (latest)

Video emulation is working well now
Sound is on the way :D
02/09/2008

Small ROMs load (not enough RAM for large ones)
SDL to GX 90% complete - expect a preview release soon :)
01/09/2008

Compiled with SDL-Port, runs at a reasonable speed
Started SDL to GX porting :)

Cant wait for an actual release :)

The_Ultimate_Eggman
September 7th, 2008, 17:40
Cant wait until this has sound implemented...Great work

zillion94
September 7th, 2008, 17:58
Ok, Hang on a sec while I go buy a new pair of pants...

This news made my Sunday! Forgive me if I disobey my orders to not get excited. I have been waiting for an updated port of the Gamecube NeoCD emulator to the Wii with all the trimmings the others have (USB, HBC, all controllers, etc.) and now there is news of a second project? AND to top it off it is MVS/rom based?
Awesome!

Not to put the cart before the horse, but does blizzo plan on it being NeoCD compatible (even if not on the initial release)? Just curious.

Neo Geo is a perfect example of Homebrew/commercial harmony... I have the games in emulators, and I am the first to hunt down SNK releases like Metal Slug Anthology and SNK Arcade Classics. Even as I played Classics on Day ONE I was imagining Vol 2. Hey, why else label it Vol 1 unless there were plans for a follow-up? (Ok, I AM still waiting for Mel Brooks's "History of The World" sequel). :)

Neo Geo games on the Wii are my favorite hope so thank you in advance blizzo!

kevenz
September 8th, 2008, 01:04
this is my most wanted emulator!

I only played neo geo games on pc back in the late 90s, to finally be able to play them on tv with CC would be amazing.

Nocuddle
September 8th, 2008, 12:38
just crapped my pant... almost... maybe after the actual release...

kevenz
October 22nd, 2008, 01:13
any news about this emulator?

blizzo
November 16th, 2008, 18:51
yes ;)

it is moving along, <insert excuse for delay here>, best place to track progress in on the wiibrew wiki page currently at http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/User:Blizzo/GxGeo :]

kevenz
November 17th, 2008, 05:44
thanks for the update, I started to wonder if it was cancelled or something, keep the good work! ;)

blizzo
November 23rd, 2008, 23:15
i have released a version of GxGeo on wiibrew
http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/User:Blizzo/GxGeo
check it out

Sir_Voe
November 24th, 2008, 00:54
i have released a version of GxGeo on wiibrew
http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/User:Blizzo/GxGeo
check it out

Thanks a lot:D. I can confirm there are no aspect ratio problems on my NTSC widescreen HDTV. There are borders on the edges, but none of the display is off screen. I've only tried Top Hunter and MSlugX, but in TH, there seems to be a problem with hanging in midair on non-existing floors. I get a code dump on MSlugX before getting the game fully loaded. I've tested both roms on an NDS NeoGeo emulator, where they both function properly.

blizzo
November 24th, 2008, 01:55
ok, recreating those errors was easy. metal slug x is probably memory allocation i'll look in to it later. edit: it was, mslugx = too big :)
i dunno why top hunter is like that, i will look in to that too.

kevenz
November 24th, 2008, 16:33
so it won't be possible to play the bigger games because the wii doesn't have enough memory?

well, damn nintendo :P

Baboon
November 24th, 2008, 19:28
Thanks very much for this release. Metal Slug and Magican Lord are purrrfect. :D

so it won't be possible to play the bigger games because the wii doesn't have enough memory?

Maybe if the emulator used caching for larger games in the future? The psp can run every neogeo, cps1 and cps2 (its even just starting to emulate cps3) games and thats got a very limited memory.

kevenz
November 26th, 2008, 05:11
cps1,2,3 on the wii would be amazing as well.

dirtpants
November 26th, 2008, 14:41
cps1,2,3 on the wii would be amazing as well.

That would be awesome, if we could get CPS2 working on the PSP and Neo Geo Working almost 100% on the DS then why not the wii? I guess we just need to wait a bit longer. :D

kevenz
November 27th, 2008, 00:05
yeah on ds and psp but I hate portable machine..... I have more fun playing on the big screen :P

kilkrak
December 2nd, 2008, 01:43
If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it. thankyou

Locations:

K:\apps\gxgeo\boot.dol
K:\gxgeo\roms\ 000-lo.lo
sfix.sfx
uni-bios

all bios are 128 kb

K:\gxgeo\conf\gngeorc - this reads: system unibios

after it loads drivers, something happens too fast for me to see then it gives me an options to press 1 or 2, 2 does nothing and 1 results in a code dump

I have homebrew beta 9

djdynamite123
December 2nd, 2008, 18:13
have you got your bios archive unzipped?

kilkrak
December 2nd, 2008, 18:39
yes the bios are unzipped. should they be in a folder inside the rom folder? I checked the crc on all the files. the only one that came up different from ones listed as working was the uni-bios version. Can we use anything from 1.0 to 2.3?

Thanks

does it matter if the roms are rom or bin files? -

Update:
Nevermind they need to be bin.

absinthaholic
December 5th, 2008, 17:14
If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it. thankyou

Locations:

K:\apps\gxgeo\boot.dol
K:\gxgeo\roms\ 000-lo.lo
sfix.sfx
uni-bios

all bios are 128 kb

K:\gxgeo\conf\gngeorc - this reads: system unibios

after it loads drivers, something happens too fast for me to see then it gives me an options to press 1 or 2, 2 does nothing and 1 results in a code dump

I have homebrew beta 9Mine is doing about the same thing. I put all of the files mentioned in the readme into the /roms folder, and everything else where it said. It just hangs at the same spot as this guy's.

Any suggestions?

absinthaholic
December 6th, 2008, 02:40
Mine is doing about the same thing. I put all of the files mentioned in the readme into the /roms folder, and everything else where it said. It just hangs at the same spot as this guy's.

Any suggestions?It's working now.

All of my Neo Geo games were in .rom format in .zip files. I downloaded some zipped in .bin format, and now they work.

The readme (read.mi) that the author wrote is lacking in it's explanation of how to get Gxgeo working. It does not mention that they roms should be in .bin format. As well, it doesn't mention that the config file in apps/conf needs to be altered (or even how to alter it!!!). I would hope that this is made clear in future releases of the read.mi file.

Other than that, very nice work... now that it's working!

munkeyboy
August 15th, 2009, 22:04
does anyone know how to get hold of blizzo?

munkeyboy
August 15th, 2009, 22:06
Anyone ? i want to compile GXgeo with sdhc support with latest libogc

kevenz
August 18th, 2009, 02:26
If you ever manage to do it, let me know, I've been waiting for gxgeo to support sdhc since november 23 2008.

Sp4rK
December 11th, 2009, 13:25
Please release source code, I need to update it for SDHC support.

danny5234
May 29th, 2010, 19:47
Blizzo

I'm trying to setup gxgeo on homebrew. I run the emu but get the blank screen, or press 1 or 2, if i press 2 nothing or press 1 it code dumps. What files do i need in roms? I have sfix.sfx, 000-lo.lo, and unibios.bin. what files should be in roms? and how should I map them in the rom gxgeo directory?
Is this emu on sd format? or can I run it off my usb hard drive?