PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic - PSX Emu on GP2X

wraggster
December 3rd, 2005, 11:53
The GP2X (http://www.gbax.com/main.pl) has today thrown the gauntlet down with a PSX Emu Released, its slow but for a first beta its quite impressive, keep your eye on our sister site for the full info --> GP2X News (http://gp2x-emulation.dcemu.co.uk/)

Now wheres all the PSP Coders when we need em ;)

SmashinGit
December 3rd, 2005, 12:58
I am shocked! :-o

Jman0708
December 3rd, 2005, 13:54
no wat im sick of that gpx crap psp has like 200games with lua and regular eboots and psp gots like shit loadas of apps wen gpx first came out u were like o its a big rival to the psp yet it has mayeb 10 or 15 games psp is the best homebrew console ut there

Insane1
December 3rd, 2005, 16:43
no wat im sick of that gpx crap psp has like 200games with lua and regular eboots and psp gots like shit loadas of apps wen gpx first came out u were like o its a big rival to the psp yet it has mayeb 10 or 15 games psp is the best homebrew console ut there
Wow...alright. I've never called anyone this before, but you are one hell of a n00b. A homebrew scene doesn't just go "BOOM! ALL IS HERE!!!" overnight, you know! It's predacessor, the GP32, had a homebrew scene easily matching and possibly much better than the PSP's right now. But it took TIME to get there. Jeez...talk about impatience in commenting...wait more than a month or two before you go and say how much better the PSP is...oh yeah. And as a side note, use proper english when posting...I don't know about others, but all stuff like "wen" and "u" tick me off...it actually seems to show how impatient the typer is that they can't just add the extra few words to make "When" and "you" and make their post actually at least SOUND in intelligent.

Concerning this PS1 emulator...If it manages to run FF7 at good speeds and support the possibility of emulating "Switching disks" (like all PS1 FF games do except the ported ones) one day, and I'll eagerly buy a GP2X.

xuphorz
December 3rd, 2005, 16:55
if the gp2x supports Grandia (2 disk) or Brave Fencer Musashi (1 disk, but hard to emulate) then I'll buy it.

Psphreak
December 3rd, 2005, 19:00

I agree with Insane1's comment concerning the time it takes to develop these things. Another big reason for things to appear a little quicker is Open source vs. Non open source, aka Sony vs. Gamepak (or gamepark, not sure :P).

SoQb0nc5r
December 3rd, 2005, 19:56
i need a psx emu on psp :)

YourStillWithMe
December 3rd, 2005, 20:15
I do not think it will be possible; I want it to be possible, but it won't. My reasons behind this. . . Ok take the GBA emulators for example, we're having trouble getting the games to function on the psp now and the psp is a lot more powerful system than stupid GBA. (I hate GBA now. . . especially after that stupid micro BS came out.) Also try to play such games like Killer Instinct, (one of my favs!) Mortal Kombat 3 or Ultimate and Samurai Showdown on your SNES emulator on your psp. We're having problems getting some pretty early gen systems games running so what makes you think we can make FFVII, Chrono Cross, and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 on a PSone function on a psp? Lets be logical people.

Once again im not arguing saying it won't ever happen and believe me; i want it to, I just don't think it's likely.

Thats my 25 cents.

Insane1
December 3rd, 2005, 21:08
I do not think it will be possible; I want it to be possible, but it won't. My reasons behind this. . . Ok take the GBA emulators for example, we're having trouble getting the games to function on the psp now and the psp is a lot more powerful system than stupid GBA. (I hate GBA now. . . especially after that stupid micro BS came out.) Also try to play such games like Killer Instinct, (one of my favs!) Mortal Kombat 3 or Ultimate and Samurai Showdown on your SNES emulator on your psp. We're having problems getting some pretty early gen systems games running so what makes you think we can make FFVII, Chrono Cross, and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 on a PSone function on a psp? Lets be logical people.

Once again im not arguing saying it won't ever happen and believe me; i want it to, I just don't think it's likely.

Thats my 25 cents.
Lets not forget the the GBA used an entirely different processor than the PS1, and that the GBA used a completely different code (ARM assembly). Some processors are harder to emulate than others (plus, with the 3D acceleration hardware on both the GP2X and the PSP, it's possible to take alot of the load off the processor. GBA and other non 3d systems have no use for anything like that, so nearly everything is emulated entirely by the processor)

Or in simpler terms: A PSX emulator will actually be able to use the 3d Accelration to make the processors job a heck of alot easier, unlike GBA and others which don't use the 3D acceleration.

Datahax
December 3rd, 2005, 21:20
Has anyone been very successful at tapping into the PSP's GPU? I mean do any of the emus actually use it to it's full potential? If not then there still is quite a bit of growing room.

Insane1
December 3rd, 2005, 21:53
Has anyone been very successful at tapping into the PSP's GPU? I mean do any of the emus actually use it to it's full potential? If not then there still is quite a bit of growing room.
I think the Unofficial NesterJ had the ability to access the GPU from the graphics options. There was Normal and the usual settings followed by settings that used the GPU.

Psphreak
December 3rd, 2005, 22:05
Snes tyl .2c (and older versions), unofficial Nester by "e", Tg16 emulator by "e", and I believe Yoyo's NeoGeoCD emulator use the gpu. Not sure about Dgen or PSPGensis using it. Cheers

Insane1
December 4th, 2005, 00:16
Snes tyl .2c (and older versions)
Ah yeah. Forgot about the PSP Accelerated option with that. Still...Do you think actual 3D would be accelrated faster through the GPU than 2D like SNES?

stormuk
December 4th, 2005, 01:04
I think where Jman is comming from is, why do we keep getting these off topic links to GP machines.

This part of the site is for PSP owners, not DS, GamePark, Ps2 owners but PSP.

Dont get me wrong I think Wraggster is doing a brilliant job, and I get why he loves the gp, but could he stop possibly shoving it in out faces, I have a PSP to play a mix of homebrew and commercial games and use its wireless side - somthing the GP2X is never going to manage, unless of course they emulate a psp.

LampDev
December 4th, 2005, 03:28
I think where Jman is comming from is, why do we keep getting these off topic links to GP machines.I think he posted 3x about the GP2x in the span of a few weeks. He's not flooding the newsboard with news for the GP2X, he's just getting the word out that something really remarkable has happened in the span of only a month of its first release. Something that not even the PSP has matched. It's newsworthy.

6 out of 10 people I know who bought the PSP, bought it exclusively for retrogaming and watching video. If a newcomer came to this site looking to check out the PSP for emulation capabilities and then saw that there's a new system called the GP2X that's MADE FOR EMULATION, then I'm sure that bit of news piqued their interest.

I have a PSP to play a mix of homebrew and commercial games and use its wireless side - somthing the GP2X is never going to manage, unless of course they emulate a psp.You're most likely wrong on all of these counts.
Gamepark Holdings has hinted that commercial games will be coming.

The GP2X has SDIO support (I think) and a linux OS which means that someone could come up with a SD WiFi driver and wireless would be possible.

Emulating the PSP? With the current lineup of games, why would anyone bother?

Jman0708
December 4th, 2005, 05:21
yeh i dint mean its not coming fast just ment its so agrivating cause we all have psp's and i love my psp if ne one touches it i rip there hadn off i play shit laods of games spanding froimn homebrew to emulators to umds wraggster ur a ****ign genouis but please we are all begging u stop putting gpx in psp news its a sick site i check there evryday soon as get home from school i respect u just dont do dat off topic shit its agrivating

unreachable
December 4th, 2005, 10:00
seriously though, I saw the link on the left, the day I buy, or show an interest in gp32 or whatever I'll find out where to go just fine. In the meantime, I come here for psp specific news and I agree with stormuk.

its like if you're on a site for windows XP tips or something and they keep telling you what Mac OSX can do..

Insane1
December 4th, 2005, 17:30
What about those who WANT to see some GP2X news here once and awhile? I don't know about you, But I WANT to be alerted when something big happens on that scene. SO I know when to start saving to buy one.

And before anyone says anything, yes I am indeed too lazy to go look at the GP2X new site while looking at this one. :P

Topknot
December 4th, 2005, 17:57
just dont do dat off topic shit its agrivating

Takes all of about 2 seconds to scroll past the GP2x post, and takes even less time out of your life to not post on it.

If you dont want to see off topic news just scroll past it for christs sake. :rolleyes:

Im sure a lot of people are AGGRAVATED by bad spelling and THAT whole text speak way of posting but it never seems to stop.

FrancisD2d
December 4th, 2005, 20:41
yeh i dint mean its not coming fast just ment its so agrivating cause we all have psp's and i love my psp if ne one touches it i rip there hadn off i play shit laods of games spanding froimn homebrew to emulators to umds wraggster ur a ****ign genouis but please we are all begging u stop putting gpx in psp news its a sick site i check there evryday soon as get home from school i respect u just dont do dat off topic shit its agrivating

Don't speak for everyone, please. It only makes you look worse. Does it really matter so much that wraggster posts IMPORTANT happenings about the Gp2x. Anyway, he is a webmaster, right, he can do what he feels like. There really is no need to make such a huge deal out of it.

stormuk
December 5th, 2005, 03:24
Okay so some do want to hear about it - but what about people who want to hear about the DS? GBA? 360? PS2? etc etc nothing is off topic posted here for them, the links on the menu are for that.

Lampdev there’s a big difference from having some odd Korean Game that you have to pay for, and the likes of Grand Theft Auto. I also can see wireless happening but not on every GP2X!

Bottom line for me is that the GP2X isn’t a psp killer - if it was I could understand why its commented on, but it isn’t thus why I don’t get why it is - erm as such.

Jman you might want to take school more seriously than your psp by the looks of it mate, as I cant make out half of what you’re on about.

Heran_Bago
December 5th, 2005, 03:43
Are any decent commercial games comming out for that GPwhatever?

LampDev
December 5th, 2005, 08:28
I also can see wireless happening but not on every GP2X!
Why would everyone need a wireless connection?

Lampdev there’s a big difference from having some odd Korean Game that you have to pay for, and the likes of Grand Theft Auto.Its a worldwide effort with developers in Japan, Britain, ... y'know the world.

... but ... uhm... from what I see, there's been no official games announced. It seems developers are taking a wait and see approach (http://www.mygp2x.com/faq/#_Toc119326347) to see how well it does before investing time and $$ for this device. There was a link and a preview video posted about a week ago about a firm developing a 3d racing game for the gp2x. Nothing was said whether it was going to be commercial or freeware.

THE ANSWER
December 5th, 2005, 10:27
I would pay a reasonble amount of money for a PSX emu. ;)

stormuk
December 5th, 2005, 13:40
Wireless - If say only 20% take up wireless, developers are going to be less inclined to use it within thier apps/games thats why.

I'll be happy if they do get real commercial games, but...

With poor advertising, and compared to its competition its doing nothing new, so I think it will remain a niche machine. The GP32 blew the doors of its competition and it didnt do well...

Ill be happy to be wrong, I owned a GP32 so wish them well, just have a PSP and dont see the point in one at the moment.

Cap'n 1time
December 5th, 2005, 20:32
Are any decent commercial games comming out for that GPwhatever?

if you have to ask that... then you dont understand what a gp2x is about.

LampDev
December 6th, 2005, 20:18
I would pay a reasonble amount of money for a PSX emu. ;)
You just might be paying sooner than you think (http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?showtopic=22737&st=180&p=309276&#entry309276).
Though by all estimates it'll be months before it'll be running at anything close to full speed @ FS0 and decent compatibility, things are proceeding amazingly fast.

Heran_Bago
December 7th, 2005, 02:18
if you have to ask that... then you dont understand what a gp2x is about.
I didn't think any company would be stupid enough to make a system and not want games to be made specifically for that system. If this is a homebrew-only machine, it will not appear in game stores, no new games will be made for it, people will laugh at you when they recognize you not playing a mainstream image. Aside from homebrew, many prefer the PSP over the DS because it's nice looking. The people intereseted in the PSP for image would look rediculous with a non-mainstream handheld.

Bottom like ,this handheld is rediculous. It's up there with the ngage and gizmondo.

LampDev
December 7th, 2005, 03:08
..people will laugh at you when they recognize you not playing a mainstream image.
People will laugh at you?! LOL!
Where the **** do you live? Tell me so I can avoid that part of the world. :)

Seriously, I think people will calm the hell down when they see you playing SNES or PSX games on it.

Image of the handheld? Wow. I never knew the PSP equated to a status symbol. Anyone care to share a story or two about how they rounded up some fresh new pussy because you were playing a PSP? Maybe a few of those will end up in Sony's new advertising campaign where they hire youths to tell about how the PSP got them laid, made a million dollars, or helped them lose weight.