PDA

View Full Version : What are the best 3 PSP Games?

wraggster
December 4th, 2005, 02:08
I have a couple of reasons for this question, one my son is getting a PSP for xmas and i want to buy a couple of games but at £30-£40 each like most parents you cant afford to cock up, so what are the 3 best games for the PSP so far ?

That includes any that upgrade the firmware ;)

SmashinGit
December 4th, 2005, 02:39
Can't help you there Wraggster, I still only have Ridge Racer! :)

Festizzio
December 4th, 2005, 03:03
IMO the best three games out now for the PSP are GTA, SOCOM, and The Legend of Heroes.

stormuk
December 4th, 2005, 03:08
What age is he?

dragaron
December 4th, 2005, 03:10
1.) Wipeout pure (It's always being updated with new tracks/skins/vehicles via wipeoutpure.com)

2.) Metal Gear Acid

3.) Tony Hawks Underground 2 (Good game, but NOT recommended for a child... Lewd content and profanity out the "wazzu", which is why I got sick of it and eventually sold it)

Jman0708
December 4th, 2005, 03:11
IMO the best three games out now for the PSP are GTA, SOCOM, and The Legend of Heroes.
i agree 200% socom is a great sniper and online game and ga is just great in genral legend of heroes good for classic gammeing i agree wit fest

indstr
December 4th, 2005, 03:24
Gripshift is by FAR the best psp game.
Mercury is pretty good too
Star Soldier is a nice shooter

grayjaket
December 4th, 2005, 03:38
Lumines would be my first choice hands down. Cuz it just plain rocks. And if you could sneak that PSP out of his hands you might get addicted to it yourself. but by far, thats the best game I've played.

A kid would probably like Untold Legends a lot more than I did...

Battlefront 2 is pretty good for a kid too...especialy if he's a star wars fan..he'd love it...

^^^ i wouldnt recommend untold legends or bf2 for anyone over the age of 14...15....not that great of games...at least for an older gamer
Socom would be cool for a kid i think(if you dont mind him playing something violent)...its a pretty good game overall....

dont get dynasty warriors. no matter what.

pretty much any other game would at least be fun...ive heard Ape Escape is pretty fun in general....might try that....

thats all i got...fingers...tired.....stupid..keyboard

geise69
December 4th, 2005, 04:03
Mine are the 2 games I got at the Japanese launch with my psp. Ridge Racers and Lumines. The 2nd is actually a tie between Legend Of Heroes and Popolocrois. Since I haven't played through them and just got both I'll probably make a decision which is my third. As of right now it's both of them. Actually if Ys Ark of Napishtim ever comes out that would be my third choice. Sadly it's delayed again. March?...come on? About as bad as FFXII not that I care about FF anymore.

Jman0708
December 4th, 2005, 05:30

Xarius
December 4th, 2005, 05:39
Trying to up your post count, jman?

Anyway, what game is 'the best' for one person might be terrible for another. You might want to take a look at what games he likes to play on other systems. That would give you a good idea where to start with psp games. We could have every single person on this forum voting for an RPG but that won't do your son any good if he only likes sports games.

Joe88
December 4th, 2005, 05:54
GTA, Burnout, Ridge Racer.

yudonomi
December 4th, 2005, 06:00
I just got back from a two-week vacation in Japan. The game my wife and I spent playing the most by far was Puzzle Bobble Pocket. That game is addictive, we played like 400 "levels" on it.

Behind that, Everybody's Golf is fun, and Frogger Helmet Chaos is okay. My gaming habits on the PSP are different from playing on a console. I need a bigger screen and longer spans of free time if I want to play a shooter game. I couldn't stand Star Wars Battlefront 2 on the PSP. But, I'm not a kid.

Also consider using your budget to get the biggest memory stick you can afford. I got a 2GB and it was the best investment I made for the PSP so far. If your kid is familiar with the term "Bittorrent", buying a large card could be a good or bad decision, depending on your perspective.

dragaron
Wraggster: In your post you wrote "you cant afford to cock up"... I think you intended to say "you cant afford to cough up". Just in case you cared (for the sake of editing your post)
dragaron: "cock up" in British slang means a mistake, or to make a mistake, so I'm pretty sure it was intentional.

Zaibach333
December 4th, 2005, 06:19
<h3>overclocked Battlefront two is the best psp game out</h3>

but it would help if you liked starwars :rolleyes:

pkmusicmaker
December 4th, 2005, 07:37
I'd have to say my favorite so far has been Wipeout Pure, but unfortunately there hasn't been too many great games yet. I use my PSP much more for it's emulation than anything else. Best gift? A nice new memory card.

Heran_Bago
December 4th, 2005, 07:57
I dunno. Aside from Lumines and GTA they're mostly par at best.

VFerg
December 4th, 2005, 08:19
Well it seems no ones got a problem with GTA so far, so that should be a top of the list game for anyone over like 15. Second Ide say Socom but only if you have somewhere to play it online because thats probably more then 75% of what this game is all about (the AI was terrible, but still fun). Third is PopoloCrois its a little more fun then the legend of heros game and is pretty much the only choice you got in deciding between RPGs. Thats all the ones I would choose but I also dont like sports games or racing ones neither. Just to throw in a puzzle game ide say lumines or strategy game ide say mercury.

eretsua
December 4th, 2005, 08:44
My favorites are:

Star Soldier a Bandai shooter brought back from the myths of time. You play in Ta-Te –mode and despite all the polygons it really kept the retro feel of the game. Like in the PS2 & NGC version it has the secondary weapon. This time you’ve got some more ships to choose from which make the game a bit easier. It’s Jap-only title and I don’t see that changing anytime soon but it’s fully playable without knowledge of the Japanese language.

Ridge Racers. A launch title that still easily looks impressive & absolutely stunning plus that runs extremely smooth unlike say WipeOut. And it’s a lot of fun, too!

Taiko no Tatsujin Portable Just another run of the mill Taiko no Tatsujin music rhythm game where you have to drum on your taiko (=japanse for drum). like all it’s predecessors it’s a lot of fun & very happy! Also feature new downloadable songs. Again a Jap-only title but the Asian version (with Chinese box-art & English instruction sheet) sells very cheaply on fleabay. and they're not even fakes or bootlegs, so that's good.

jaws365
December 4th, 2005, 09:45
lumines
gta lcs
everybodys golf

HeX
December 4th, 2005, 09:56
Best 3 is: GTA:LCS, Socom, and Battlefront 2!

vincesecuricor2005
December 4th, 2005, 10:09
GTA, Star Wars bf2, Pro Evo 5, sorted

awlonzo
December 4th, 2005, 10:14
It's not for everyone but I agree that lumines gets top billing. I picked it up as a fluke from a friend but got sucked into it. First night I cracked out on it till 5 a.m. It's totally worth a try, it might not be what you're into but then again it reeaaally might be.

It didn't get much love but we've been jamming all over X-men. I've heard that it's just be untold legends with x-men in it but it's all good. There's a grip of caracters available and you get bonuses for how you put them together in teams. Every character has his own ability tree to fill out and It's all about pumping up your people so you can lay a major but kicking on some bad guy. Me and my son both love it.

The third has to be battlefront II. BUT, only if you use the "basic" controller setup, the one that has the lock-on feature. The game sucked all kinds of juevos until we found that setup. Now we can't put it down.

vaza
December 4th, 2005, 10:14
If your kid is older:
GTA liberty city stories
Smackdown vs Raw 06
Any other of the ones below...

If he is younger:
Ridge Racer
Wipeout Pure
The Sims 2

jimjamjahaa
December 4th, 2005, 12:06
wipeout is the shizzney only if you like that kind of game.

by "that kind of game" i mean trying over and over again to perfect the perfect racing line to get that gold medal in time trial, or being so hooked up on adrenaline and coffee that you start to shake but all so you can get you're reactions faster. i love it! but its not for everyone. it doesnt lend its self especially well to the portable format, but it is great none the less.

and gta, well. no one will complain at that. especially if we ever get it to run at 333mhz

wouldnt know what to suggest for a third... SWBF2 is a total p.o.s. DO NOT GET IT. the textures are awful, the levels are smaller than ps2, slowdown, rubbish ai and a linear narrative to end all linear narratives, it has the works

lumines was fun... not sure if i'ld spend money on it tho...

does socom work online over here? because it would have to be an import wouldn't it? anyway if it wouldn't work, obviously dont get that :)

Viper Snake
December 4th, 2005, 14:34
Wipeout Pure, Burnout Legends, and GTA Liberty City Stories.

biocat
December 4th, 2005, 15:05
Star Soldier a Bandai shooter brought back from the myths of time.

Blasphemy! Star Soldier is by Hudson Soft!

That said, I would also recommend it as a game to get. That or Space Invaders, at least. I let my 12 year old nephew at those games and he really enjoyed them both, but played Space Invaders a bit more. So proud of him!

The Guilty Gear port is also well done and he might enjoy that if he's into fighters much.

PSPCRACKER
December 4th, 2005, 15:28
what type of games dose he like like and what age is he?
i would say:
gta
nfsug rivels
wipeout

but it all depend on what he like and how old is he?

young i would say
wipout pure
nfsug rivel myb
....... :p

tryqus
December 4th, 2005, 16:16
1. GTA:LCS [overall great game tons of content]

2. SOCOM [Really captures the Socom feel, on the go. Online play!]

3. Ridge Racer [great launch title]

montezuma
December 4th, 2005, 17:15
Burnout Legends, Wipeout Pure, and GTA LCS. But, if you're willing to import, Gundam Battle Tactics can replace Wipeout Pure. (not hard to navigate for an experienced gamer, but for a kid... probably not.) So I guess stick with the top three. :P

guthix
December 5th, 2005, 04:35
do Not Get grand Theft Auto:lcs For Your Son Unless You Want Him To Become A Gangster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MadMonkee
December 5th, 2005, 12:15
do Not Get grand Theft Auto:lcs For Your Son Unless You Want Him To Become A Gangster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG! This is good stuff :) Definately quote of the day. And remember not to let your kids listen to heavy metal, they'll become satanists.

Anyways as far as 3 best games;

GTA takes the cake for all of us in #1 I believe

Dynasty Warriors is my second favorite only because you get to hack at 10 people with one blow. Only if they didn't split up the scenario and fixed the framerate issues it would be perfect. They are coming up with a new one where they supposedly perfected Dynasty Warriors. It's gonna be called Samurai Warriors I think...

Bleach has to be my 3rd favorite only because I am a big fan of fighting games. The 3d unique engine took my attention the most. The only down side was the lack of characters and sort of limited movement as if the game was hurried up in general but it still was enjoyable and I spent quite a lot of time on an airplane playing it.

homebrew is the main use of my PSP actually having Snes, Nes, GB, GB Color, SMS, and PSPRadio at the comedy channel :) Sony would sell a hell lot more PSPs if only they stopped trying to block homebrew, bah who cares... Build a wall, someone will build a taller ladder.

djarcas
December 6th, 2005, 13:51
GTA
Burnout Legends
Wipeout
Untold Legends

Each of those have had to be prised out of my hands, or I've run the battery flat playing them.

DannyPL
December 6th, 2005, 15:57
:) I would say that Death Jr., Twisted Metal Head-On, and GTA are the 3 good games to be at least in the top 10. But that's just my personal opinion. :)

Largo_W
December 12th, 2005, 19:17
do not get Star wars Battlefront 2 - The game is totally lame. Bad control, dumb ki, bad graphics. dont like it.
Good Games: Burnout. Finished :) Medievil is also good, but not a must have. No other Game came in my Line of sight. planning to buy this megaman collection that was announced.